closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Rolex watch advice please

Journeyman

First Rolex watch advice please

I am about to get my first Rolex and I have decided on the Datejust 116200 (36mm domed bezel).

However I'm struggling to decide in the colour and bracelet, silver vs black vs white vs blue and oyster bracelet vs jubilee

Silver and black probably appeal more but can't decide on the one

I have read oyster is the one to get with 116200 but scratches easily. Would the jubilee look really bad?

Unlikely to be able to buy another Rolex so need to get this right, would be grateful for any advice/opinions.

Thanks

Try some on and buy the one you like the best.

Craftsman
    It's all very much personal taste . Best advice below !
    You can't go wrong with Silver dial on Oyster and a smooth bezel but it's horses for courses as they say !

Master
    No rush, spend plenty of time trying the watches on at dealers, googling photos.

Get the one you want, no point worrying about other people's views.

Have you got yourself a list of all the dials Rolex offers? This is an old one for DayDates. There are millions of options.

Don't worry about scratches, whatever model you get will end up getting scratched to buggery.

Craftsman
    It all depends on how you are able to deal with scratches etc on your watch.
    Some don't bother, others do.
    The oyster with polished centre links is a scratch magnet, whereas the jubilee is more scratch friendly.
    You may also spend your time bothering about the mirror finish on the polished links, maybe not?
    The norm is oyster with domed bezel, jubilee with fluted bezel, but does not have to be adhered to.
    As others have suggested, try on as many as you can, in as many variants as you can, and then decide.
    Buy what YOU like.
    Good luck in your quest.

Master
    The Oyster is a nicer design IMO, but the Jubilee is really comfortable to wear. Choose the one that makes you go "wow".

With a DJ I'd be jubilee all the any - sports = Oyster, or DD = President, but DJ is a jubilee watch for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Here's mine, if it helps -

I've had it about a year. It's been worn in rotation with five or six others and hasn't picked up any notable scratches - even though I've sometimes found myself wearing it doing the 'wrong' things. Erecting scaffolding was probably the worst of those wrong things...

I chose the dial because I wanted clean simplicity. I chose the bracelet because I find the Jubilee too fussy. I'm happy that I made the right decision for me and there's little doubt that this will be my single life-long Rolex. Unless, unexpectedly, I find myself with the funds for a 16610 Submariner.

The watch came from Iconic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    It's all very much personal taste . Best advice below !
    You can't go wrong with Silver dial on Oyster and a smooth bezel but it's horses for courses as they say !
    This would be my personal choice but you need to try a few on and see which you prefer.

Master
    Most of the fun of the purchase comes from researching exactly what you want to buy, so don't rush and enjoy the search.
    If you reckon this will be your only watch, I would go smooth bezel with oyster. If in future you think you may get another, potentially sporty Rolex, I would go jubilee.
    I think the blue dials are the best.

Master
    DJ 116234 with fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet, as others have suggested you'll end up with another which can be your sporty watch with oyster bracelet and plain bezel. Surrender to the inevitable now

Grand Master
    Try a few on. I like them both, I own the older jubilee/fluted bezel model 16234 and l've owned a 116200 which was excellent. Black dial with stick batons would be my choice.

I'm not sure how much fine adjustment there is with the latest style jubilee, I suspect this could be a problem.

The polished centre links on the Oyster bracelet will pick up scratches but most can be removed by periodic treatment with metal polish or cape cod.

Paul

I've had both. I sold my 116200 with blue stick dial and kept my 116234 with silver stick dial.

The oyster bracelet with PCLs was a bit bling for my tastes and did show scratches very quickly. The super jubilee doesn't show any signs of wear after two years. The oyster does have more fine adjustments but the super jubilee is more comfortable on the wrist.

My 116234 is more of a dressy daily watch so I went with silver dial. I have a cheaper black dial casual watch. I'd suggest black stick if it will be more of a casual piece or silver stick if it will be worn for dressier occasions. The blue stick is also very nice if you are looking for a casual watch.

Journeyman
    Thanks to you all for the advice. I think I've narrowed it further to silver and white. My work involves dressing in suits daily and this will be my daily wearer, I know all about personal preference, however any thoughts/opinions on white versus silver in smooth/domed bezel?

Silver has more moods, picking up hues from the ambient light. White is white.

I wanted the simplest configuration with most contrast, so went for white. My final choice was between white and black, rather than white and silver.

Somehow, the combination of domed bezel, stick hands, white dial and oyster bracelet seemed the freshest, most modern and most neutral. But these things are subjective, as you know, which is why Rolex offers so many choices. There's no right and wrong, no unwritten rules, so you may just need to sit and stare at both together.