closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone on here enjoy clay pidgeon shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by SeikoIsLoveSeikoIsLife View Post
    Sad news after posting this thread, I went shooting with my dad today and when he was cleaning it earlier he found a large crack going all the way along the grip about 5cm back from the receiver. So basically it's a write off gun now unless he settles with mismatched woodwork or a very expensive custom stock being made.
    Drop these guys a quick e-mail mate ,you may find its not quite a write off.Good Luck .
    http://ukgunstocks.com/index.htm

Yes, I shoot clays occasionally though sadly my regular ground has just closed.

I have a Kemen KM4 and have been toying with getting a 20 bore for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Drop these guys a quick e-mail mate ,you may find its not quite a write off.Good Luck .
    http://ukgunstocks.com/index.htm
    Thanks for that link this place is the cheapest I've seen for what looks to be good quality wood and service, definitely one to consider but it's still is £350 for the Browning 325 but still nowhere near the £600 i've seen them for in other places. We do also have some friends who work with wood so are going to see if they think a repair is possible.
    Last edited by SeikoIsLoveSeikoIsLife; 6th March 2016 at 11:21.

Not to say you shouldn't buy magnificent, hand-crafted exhibition guns if you want to, but you can get a perfectly good, bog-standard over & under gun suitable for clays for about £150 (try Guntrader). A shotgun certificate is a further £80. So it's not an expensive sport to get into.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    So it's not an expensive sport to get into.
    I agree, it's not but it certainly can get expensive...bit like watches really.
    Not meaning to hi-jack the thread at all but has anyone on here shot the Benelli 828u? I've been toying with the idea of one for a while as it feels pretty nice in the shop but I've been unable to fire one as yet.

Just wondering if anyone on this forum is into clay pidgeon shooting or any other sport shooting?
    I have yet to try it but it's definitely something I would like to at some point ... Problem is finding money and time

JAMP0T1

Master
    Had my first experience yesterday, actually went very well and I hit 10/10 clays (suspect clays were closer/choke open though!). Has given me the taste now - going to get myself another lesson or two at the local gun club and access if I would like to apply for my licence then. I used a Browning (not sure which!) that I really got on with. For once I am going to take my time though...

Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    Had my first experience yesterday, actually went very well and I hit 10/10 clays (suspect clays were closer/choke open though!). Has given me the taste now - going to get myself another lesson or two at the local gun club and access if I would like to apply for my licence then. I used a Browning (not sure which!) that I really got on with. For once I am going to take my time though...
    They were probably luring you in with slow moving dustbin lids. Once you're hooked, the trap closes.

I don't miss clays, I let a breeding pair escape.

Done it and really enjoyed it, currently living abroad so my equipment is distributed amongst the family and when I come back I pick it up with them. My stuff is low-end bog standard but unless you are really shooting high-level competitions it doesn't really matter. Also 2nd hand equipment if checked over and maintained will easily last decades and shoot just as well as when it was brand new.

Been shooting for 20+ years, not as much of late but whenever I get the chance I get out there. Currently looking to move on a Krieghoff K80 Supersport but I don't know what it's worth.

Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Currently looking to move on a Krieghoff K80 Supersport but I don't know what it's worth.
    Have you looked on guntrader to see what other people are asking for theirs? There are 12 currently listed ranging from £5,900 to £12,950.

Mince is the one priced at £5,900. ;)

Fish

Yep - clays and game. Even have my own clay trap so don't even need to leave home. :). Great fun and a great thing to get youngsters into for discipline. :)

Grand Master
    Something on tv a few weeks ago about clay pigeon shooting,and I thought after the first shot it was the same for every other shot.........Id be bored to death with it.

Thats just me,two guys at work love it,and loads do.

Anything repetitive doesn't work for me tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Something on tv a few weeks ago about clay pigeon shooting,and I thought after the first shot it was the same for every other shot.........Id be bored to death with it.

Thats just me,two guys at work love it,and loads do.

Anything repetitive doesn't work for me tbh.
    I'm guessing that you were either shooting 'down the line' or that you went somewhere which had a very poor sporting set up with no variety of birds.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I'm guessing that you were either shooting 'down the line' or that you went somewhere which had a very poor sporting set up with no variety of birds.
    Never been anywhere shooting,I said I saw something on tv about shooting.

It would bore me stupid after the first shot,I have a short attention span and the thought of doing the same thing over and over and over again just isn't for me tbh.

But I'm aware some do like it,I'm just saying how it wouldn't work for me because I would soon get bored.

Never been anywhere shooting,I said I saw something on tv about shooting.

It would bore me stupid after the first shot,I have a short attention span and the thought of doing the same thing over and over and over again just isn't for me tbh.

But I'm aware some do like it,I'm just saying how it wouldn't work for me because I would soon get bored.
    I stand corrected - I've never seen any tv coverage of clay pigeon shooting that didn't make it look boring ;)
    The real thing can be engaging, though.

Grand Master
    I stand corrected - I've never seen any tv coverage of clay pigeon shooting that didn't make it look boring ;)
    The real thing can be engaging, though.
    I didn't say that the tv program portrayed it as boring.

I said what I saw would have had ME bored at the thought of something so repetitive.

So you shoot and hit whatever,and then go on and do that again many more times is what I'd find horrendously repetitive and boring.

But some don't and that's fine,but not for me for the above reason.

I didn't say that the tv program portrayed it as boring.

I said what I saw would have had ME bored at the thought of something so repetitive.

So you shoot and hit whatever,and then go on and do that again many more times is what I'd find horrendously repetitive and boring.

But some don't and that's fine,but not for me for the above reason.
    I'm bored :(

Grand Master
    I'm bored :(
    I was bored reading the thread about shooting!,it must have been even more boring for you not reading what I'd wrote hey.

Must go,watching the fence paint dry.......
    Last edited by P9CLY; 22nd June 2016 at 10:12.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    yawn.

I have a Blazer F3 but it's been sat in the safe for 18 months due to lack of time, off to a friends tomorrow who has a few traps and a bit of land, really looking forward to it. It's amazing the variety of targets you can put up with two traps and a large open field.

Master
    Been getting on very well with my lessons. Received my SGC a few weeks ago, and collected a Silver Pigeon 1 yesterday that I tested last week. Shot the best round ever with it so I am looking forward to more practice. Might even go today..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Great gun, see you around Southdown sometime.

mike

Craftsman
    Sad news after posting this thread, I went shooting with my dad today and when he was cleaning it earlier he found a large crack going all the way along the grip about 5cm back from the receiver. So basically it's a write off gun now unless he settles with mismatched woodwork or a very expensive custom stock being made.
    I had similar happen this year only worse - my gun was blown off the gun rack (it was particularly a windy day) and the stock broke in two. I think there may have been a prior weakness but nonetheless not a good end to the day. I happen to live close to Dauntsey Guns in North Wiltshire and took it in on the offchance. Their gunsmith repaired it so well that you really have to look to see where the join is, and cost less than £150 from memory. It was not an expensive gun, but I'd had it a long time and probably would not have bothered replacing it for the amount of clays I shoot. It's a good old British Browning.

So don't give up on it, a crack is probably easier to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    I had similar happen this year only worse - my gun was blown off the gun rack (it was particularly a windy day)
    I had similar a few weeks back - stock thankfully intact but some large dinks and scrapes. Annoying.

My mate looked over and said "Did you mean to lay your gun down in the gravel?".... not the brightest spark...

Master
    Both the Boss and myself are keen clayshooters. Regularly at Orston, Kegworth,Garlands,Oakedge among others, Held the Guinness world record for the fastest 25 clays broken in 2012,now beaten by a couple of Semi auto shooters, still officially the fastest with and over and under.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Held the Guinness world record for the fastest 25 clays broken in 2012,now beaten by a couple of Semi auto shooters, still officially the fastest with and over and under.
    I'd be interested to know what that time was. Both yours and the semi's.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I'd be interested to know what that time was. Both yours and the semi's.

France held it for a long time at 1min 11s

This is me geting in at 57 seconds ish, was a fund raiser for Breast Cancer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-cQuk7PBs

This is The current record
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9UMCY1z5Ls[/url

This lad has now held it twice, beat my time then Dennis Kenerdine held it for a while and now back to the States
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 15th September 2016 at 18:47.

Very impressive Martyn. However, I think I shall continue to play my part in the preservation of the local clay pigeon population at the usual pedestrian pace.

PS The loaders/handlers weren't too shabby either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Very impressive Martyn. However, I think I shall continue to play my part in the preservation of the local clay pigeon population at the usual pedestrian pace.

PS The loaders/handlers weren't too shabby either.
    The team made it all possible. We practiced a lot and i shot 25 straight in 52 seconds in practice but crowds cameras and stopwatches made me nervous. The lady with the Olympic torch is Daniel Bailey, a Paralympic swimmer. As we raised nearly double our target we gave her some for her road to Rio,sadly i dont think she made it this time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Great gun, see you around Southdown sometime.

mike
    Let me know when you're going, I went this afternoon for an hour - probably go again next week if I have the time.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Still offshore nick, back to uk in a week or so, I will ping you a PM , when next going!

mike