timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Breitling

Banned
    Blog Entries

New Breitling

Wtf
    http://www.breitling.com/en/campaigns/exospace-b55-connected/

£6,650 ?! This price makes even the mustard LE seem cheap.

When I last bought a virtually new Aerospace from SC not that long ago, it was c£1,500. How times have changed.

Master
    So... what does it actually do?

Blog Entries
    Old new news?

May become a collectors piece as I really can't see many being sold?

Seems you can program the B55 using your phone, yippee (not).

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Old new news?

May become a collectors piece as I really can't see many being sold?

Seems you can program the B55 using your phone, yippee (not).
    Depending on how long they update the app.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Depending on how long they update the app.
    i wonder what apps will look like in 10, 20, 30 years time. Good idea building obselence into a £6.5K watch?

M

I guess there's a market, but I agree, this will be redundant in 5 years time, although I guess it'll work like any other Breitling Ana-Digi if you ignore the 'connected' aspect.

I certainly wouldn't spend £6,500 on it, even if I was thinking of spending that much on any watch.

M.

Late to the party on this, but I keep seeing the ads for these in the Evening Standard. Quite a cool, good looking watch from Breitling (little of their output does much for me generally) but too expensive at RRP or even close and 46mm FFS. Why so bloody huge?!!!
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Breitling make some cracking watches!!!, it was the brand that got me interested in horology BFFS they don't hold there money very well!!! buy pre loved when it comes to breitling, think the only one that did any good was the navitimer, particularly the world model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Late to the party on this, but I keep seeing the ads for these in the Evening Standard. Quite a cool, good looking watch from Breitling (little of their output does much for me generally) but too expensive at RRP or even close and 46mm FFS. Why so bloody huge?!!!
    Try one on mate, the chronospace don't wear as big as you think, maybe this could be the same, its pretty much the same looking at the specs?
    Last edited by fordystar; 6th June 2016 at 20:26.

What you could do it buy this and a new iphone, download the App then store away for 20 years - then in 20 years you will have 2 matching bits of obsolete crap- sorry future gold mine for teccy historians

I tried one on at the boutique in Leeds 2 weeks ago. Nice watch and it doesn't wear that big at all, noticeably smaller than the b50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I tried one on at the boutique in Leeds 2 weeks ago. Nice watch and it doesn't wear that big at all, noticeably smaller than the b50.
    ? B55 / B50 are the same size? - both 46mm

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th June 2016 at 22:51.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ? B55 / B50 are the same size? - both 46mm

I wore them within 24 hrs of each other and I'd swear the b55 felt smaller. You got me questioning it now.... Perhaps the lugs were smaller but the diameter the same?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I wore them within 24 hrs of each other and I'd swear the b55 felt smaller. You got me questioning it now.... Perhaps the lugs were smaller but the diameter the same?
    Interesting! From Breitling website - yeh the profiles do look different - though the diameters are the same

B55 - the height is 15.25mm - and reverted to the far more useful timing bezel with bezel pip and rider tabs - rather than the useless compass bezel on b50

And the B50 - height is 16.45mm

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th June 2016 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    What you could do it buy this and a new iphone, download the App then store away for 20 years - then in 20 years you will have 2 matching bits of obsolete crap- sorry future gold mine for teccy historians
    Sad but true!

I have to confess I was quite interested reading about this when it was announced and despite the possible restrictions to longevity I could have been tempted .........if it was reasonably priced.

This needed to be about 75% cheaper for me.

Realistically it does less than my Apple Watch

Master
    I have to confess I was quite interested reading about this when it was announced and despite the possible restrictions to longevity I could have been tempted .........if it was reasonably priced.

This needed to be about 75% cheaper for me.

Luxury watches can't be compared to an Apple Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Luxury watches can't be compared to an Apple Watch.
    True and I own a Breitling but they are straying into the techno gadget territory so I think comparison is valid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

New Breitling

True and I own a Breitling but they are straying into the techno gadget territory so I think comparison is valid

Yes agreed mark, I now see your comparison is just, these models are professional pilots watches, suppose the apple watches dont perform so well without wifi or a signal of some sort though? I owned a Chronospace on the mesh and really never used any of its features or read the manual

Does it do something that the Tag connected watch doesn't ?

Master
    Breitling make some cracking watches!!!, it was the brand that got me interested in horology BFFS they don't hold there money very well!!! buy pre loved when it comes to breitling, think the only one that did any good was the navitimer, particularly the world model.
    Agree they are the ones that got me interested more so in horology, so when the money came I purchased my Navitimer, only watch that to buy now has gone up by 100% from the price I paid at the AD in 2004.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Agree they are the ones that got me interested more so in horology, so when the money came I purchased my Navitimer, only watch that to buy now has gone up by 100% from the price I paid at the AD in 2004.
    Result mate.

Master
    Result mate.
    Indeed but that is of course insurance replacement, I am not sure I would make much if any at all if I was to sell it on the SC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Indeed but that is of course insurance replacement, I am not sure I would make much if any at all if I was to sell it on the SC

When it comes to Breitling, if your not in the negatives........Your doing well

Does it include a CD of Slick Radio chatter to?

Banned
    The battery only lasts 2 months, I'm out!

A smartphone is useful.
    A watch is useful.
    A watch trying to be a smartphone is not very smart...

Doesn't seem like the breitling is trying to be a smartphone at all.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    The ad is slick, but the price is sick. If I could afford it, I wouldn't!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    The ad is slick, but the price is sick. If I could afford it, I wouldn't!!
    I would suggest look out for a second hand one at some point. Grey market already sell at 30% off MRP. So you'd probably look at 50% off second hand BNIB. Even then may get one lower with haggling. Par for the course for any Brietling.

I'm guessing the MRP is so high because of the limited sales and according to some the very high R&D costs for these new in-house electronic movements. Bravado to Breitling continuing development of innovative quartz movements. Only Omega have released such a comparable watch with the X-33 Skywalker in current production.

I make a prediction the next models will have updaetable firmware so making them functionally programmable, depending on the wearers requirements.

Nevertheless, I do own a B50 and thoroughly enjoy it. Having a care free watch only needing a service every 10years (and free wrt tests are available from Breitling ADs on the spot), means minimal maintenance costs compared to other watches I have.

Just some comments - perhaps a counter argument to what I said above - but it is Wednesday!

Martyn

Blog Entries

yeh but the Apple Watch dies after a few days away from a power source?

seriously I don't see either of these watches being sold as smart watches. Even the B55 does not depend on Bluetooth to function. It can be managed from your smartphone for an easier interface. All functions are available in the watch as well.

On the other hand I get more functions from my garmin in terms of 'smartness'. No more replaces the B55 / B50 than a 16660 or GMTii etc - other watches in other words.

All personal opinion.

Anyway - they are very expensive but no more than any other watch discussed daily on here.

On the Apple Watch comparison I recently went away with watch but no phone.
    It can just about do 2 days between charges. All the activity rings worked and synched when I got back to my phone but that was about it.
    The time stayed on my home time - which was handy that trip and I could use the time travel feature if needed but had a mechanical watch on the other wrist.
    (Timer and count down etc worked fine)

So the Breitling has many more functions that work independently to whatever phone you link to and has much longer battery life but huge price difference.
    Both have R and D and brand marketing costs

I'm not normally a great fan of the brand as I don't like busy dials , but some of their recent releases start to appeal ... I especially like anything with a Stealth look .

Going stealthy this other new Breitling has a certain appeal

Master
    Agree on the stealth looking watches, think they had there first success on the sea wolf and avenger series, just hope there not doing them to death now for the sake of it, there's a lot of doc looking(stealth) flying about, that heritage looks good though, be interesting to see how that bracelet is constructed due to it being mesh and wearing, if it's coated etc.