closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chefs and watches

Master

Chefs and watches

I've noticed that chefs seem to like nice watches. Quite a few seem to wear something decent. James Martin is quite well known for his watch habit, Marcus Waring I think in the last Masterchef was wearing what looked like some kind of Speedy Broadarrow. Tom Kerridge I have seen wearing an Oris diver, and one of the guest chefs on Saturday Kitchen today was wearing what looked like a big fancy Cartier.

Come to think of it, that baker Hollywood favours a black-dialled PO.

Anyone else noticed this? Any other examples?

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I've noticed that chefs seem to like nice watches. Quite a few seem to wear something decent. James Martin is quite well known for his watch habit, Marcus Waring I think in the last Masterchef was wearing what looked like some kind of Speedy Broadarrow. Tom Kerridge I have seen wearing an Oris diver, and one of the guest chefs on Saturday Kitchen today was wearing what looked like a big fancy Cartier.

TV Chefs like the rest of us like money and freebies...

Master
    Gordon Ramsay is a Breitling fan.

Craftsman
    A relative of mine is a Michelin Star chef.

He wears a Ted Baker watch.

Master
    product placement.

the Arrogant one on Sunday mornings has a collection of all the latest Rolex. Platinum Daytona, BLNR, hulk and seen the Kermit on him to.

Blog Entries
    Hugh fearnley-whittingstall always wears a 1980,s mid size tag heure formula 1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post

The chef he had on yesterday morning (from Norfolk in a garish jumper) had a Cartier Santos 100 (not the XL version) on brown leather. I was thinking why would a chef want to wear a leather strapped watch Basically picking up stains and smells all day long on the strap.

Master
    Also the hairy bikers wear White Dialled Breitling Colts, there's another Chef from Sri Lanka that's wears a 2254.50 SMP but can't think of his name!

Craftsman
    I think Antony Warral Thompson wore a Breitling Bentley Flying B for a while. Maybe still does...

I bumped into Gordon Ramsay once in a hotel lift at the NEC. He not only had a Breitling on his wrist, he also had a Ferrari in the car park. Not that I'm jealous or anything...

Simon

Master
    Chef from Diners, drive-ins etc has a collection of mid range divers watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I bumped into Gordon Ramsay once in a hotel lift at the NEC. He not only had a Breitling on his wrist, he also had a Ferrari in the car park. Not that I'm jealous or anything...

Simon
    All yours if you work as hard as he has. Still suing his fil for the money that went 'missing' tho'

One of the lads down at McDonald's wears a casio?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    One of the lads down at McDonald's wears a casio?
    Very popular in the fast food trade. All the lads that work in the takeaway wear Casio also....just can't hide money, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    All yours if you work as hard as he has.
    Really? No talent or luck required? Interesting thanks, I'll start putting in some slightly longer days and shouting a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblue View Post
    Hugh fearnley-whittingstall always wears a 1980,s mid size tag heure formula 1
    He wears it like a girl too, flapping around like a bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Chef from Diners, drive-ins etc has a collection of mid range divers watches
    Doxa, Breitling, Rolex, Serket and Nixon, from memory.

I asked Adam Richmond about one of his once; it was a FLüD Turntable...

People like cool things. Watches are cool. End of.

Probably.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

...and a Panerai 372 (Guy Fieri, not Adam Richman).
    ______

​Jim.

On a vaguely related subject; I can't recommend the Breitling Aerospace highly enough as a 'cooking watch'. Countdown timer, chronograph, rotating bezel and alarm means that Christmas dinners are done to perfection every year :)

As long as you remember which watch function relates to which item...

Master
    I've noticed this a lot on chefs, more than a lot of other celebrities in terms of number of them wearing nice watches as a proportion to the overall number I've seen. If my hands were permanently being zoomed in on I'd be very motivated to jazz them up as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Really? No talent or luck required? Interesting thanks, I'll start putting in some slightly longer days and shouting a lot.
    An old saying springs to mind - "Success is 1% work and 99% luck - ask any failure...".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    I've noticed this a lot on chefs, more than a lot of other celebrities in terms of number of them wearing nice watches as a proportion to the overall number I've seen. If my hands were permanently being zoomed in on I'd be very motivated to jazz them up as much as possible.
    I also think it is because they all have to wear Chef's whites so it is one way to "individualise" themselves and show off their tastes/wealth in the kitchen.

To the OP, ld say perhaps better to replace the word "chefs" with "wealthy tv personalities".

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    An old saying springs to mind - "Success is 1% work and 99% luck - ask any failure...".
    I like that.

They also wear short sleeves or have them rolled up all the time!

To be honest watch spotting is one of the reasons I quite like Great British Menu, Masterchef etc. A lot seemed to be wearing Bell and Ross a few years back, even my wife has picked up on it. Phil Howard sports a Polar GPS watch though so it's not all high end!

Master
    talent/luck in spades and having the nous/advice/backing to do what he did. opening a couple of high end restaurants - Petrus and Hospital Rd and a desire to work in catering. Shouty? I suppose it's because he has his name over the door.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Ha ha very good.

The more I practice the luckier I get!

Simon Rimmer always wears a PO on Sunday Brunch, think Lovejoy wears a Tag Carrera.

Aussie Chef I read about has a nice collection including a 372.

Plus watched a good one on Hoodinkee - Talking Watches, some upcoming NY chef had a nice collection.

Thought Ramsey usually wears a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Aussie Chef I read about has a nice collection including a 372.
    Pierrick Boyer, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Pierrick Boyer, perhaps?
    That's the one. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    product placement.

the Arrogant one on Sunday mornings has a collection of all the latest Rolex. Platinum Daytona, BLNR, hulk and seen the Kermit on him to.
    I've had lunch with James as he's a friend of a friend, and perhaps he may come across that way sometimes? I don't know..... but especially as we fixed his rad after a 1 lap shakedown in the Mini Cooper went wrong at Goodwood he was a thoroughly decent bloke, his girlfriend is a sweetheart as well

he bought us lunch in the Flying School to say thanks, sent the bloke who lent us his rad out of his own car some champers and flowers for the wife...

so arrogant for me doesn't fit... he loves his cars, bikes and watches so he's on the same wavelength as far as I'm concerned he's OK

Master

He's a petrolhead. It goes with the type. He's been wearing a bronze dial Daytona on recent episodes of Saturday Kitchen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I've had lunch with James as he's a friend of a friend, and perhaps he may come across that way sometimes? I don't know..... but especially as we fixed his rad after a 1 lap shakedown in the Mini Cooper went wrong at Goodwood he was a thoroughly decent bloke, his girlfriend is a sweetheart as well

he bought us lunch in the Flying School to say thanks, sent the bloke who lent us his rad out of his own car some champers and flowers for the wife...

so arrogant for me doesn't fit... he loves his cars, bikes and watches so he's on the same wavelength as far as I'm concerned he's OK
    The prior post says Sunday so I think is talking about Sunday Brunch not James Martin?

Master
    I think Tom Kerrdige went through a Bremont phase a couple of years ago.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I think Tom Kerrdige went through a Bremont phase a couple of years ago.
    It was Tom Kerridge that introduced me to the BR01 a few years ago which led me to pick up a parnis homage to try for size.
    I didn't really gel with it though and I note he stopped wearing his when he lost weight.

He cooks the best steak in the world whatever he times it with though!

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Thought Ramsey usually wears a Rolex.
    Never seen him not in a Breitling.

Master
    Celebrity chefs and their watches, the operative word being celebrity. Just like any other, they like the finer things, or at least the more expensive things in life.
    Personally I don't get how cooking food makes you a superstar. But at least it's a skill, unlike many of the other famous vapid TW@TS that are famous for being idiots. My hat goes off to their managers / publicists, making money from nothing........... genius

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Celebrity chefs and their watches, the operative word being celebrity. Just like any other, they like the finer things, or at least the more expensive things in life.
    Personally I don't get how cooking food makes you a superstar. But at least it's a skill, unlike many of the other famous vapid TW@TS that are famous for being idiots. My hat goes off to their managers / publicists, making money from nothing........... genius
    Theres absolutely nothing new about chefs enjoying great wealth and celebrity status - its been going on for centuries.
    Modern media - as it does - just exaggerates the effect, and beams it into our living rooms.
    The other "idiots" are an unfortunate but inevitable side-effect ...

World famous Italian chef Cracco is a Richard Mille ambassador.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    I hope his food has better taste than his in watches.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post

Who is this world famous Cracco chef?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Ambassador means 'gets them for free' and he prob wasn't offered a Panerai or Rolex. Giorgio Locatelli is a Panerai guy.You'd hope so, him being Italian

Master
    He did a series of Kitchen/Hotel Nightmares wearing a Vintage Sub on a black leather strap. More recently he has been wearing that yellow Breitling again.

Master
    Yeah, motivated by the free* watches sent to you by the marketing bods at certain companies who just happened to notice that you, or more specifically, your hands/wrists are on national TV for a sizeable amount of time each week.

*may or may not be free. Does seem like a product placement dream come true regardless

Craftsman
    I play. How about Ingrid Hoffman and her Submariner?

-OD

Craftsman
    Gordon Ramsay, Celeb Chef, Navitimer/Chronomat Longitude/Chrono Avenger

According to:

http://www.breitlingsource.com/ambas...ebrities.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Jaunty View Post
    The prior post says Sunday so I think is talking about Sunday Brunch not James Martin?
    I know what you mean,

I may have misread but as BBC stuck a compilation Saturday Kitchen on to nobble Rimmer & Lovejoy )when they let them go without realising they would just set up camp on C4) :facepalm:

So I took it to be JM as they usually wear Omega and TAG respectively and the varied list would have been from the Sunday best of thing....

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post

I love Wiggins' quote about Coq au vin. Looks like Martin needs to get out on a bike.