closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trouble comes in threes!

Trouble comes in threes!

What a day I have had so far! Firstly, I have broken my IWC 3717. It had stopped due to lack of wear over the weekend. I picked it up and absent-mindedly started winding then setting it. Why didn't I think? Why didn't I check it had not stopped in the hours before/after midnight? I usually do. But today I didn't and I have managed to disengage the day wheel, which got stuck between days. I managed to wind the hands back (crown in position 3) to get a full day in the window again but having checked operations, the day is now changing 12 hours after/before the date wheel. I really should know better than this. Not sure whether to leave it until it needs a service or send it off now!?

Secondly, my wife had asked me to take her Mini to work today as the tyre pressure light had come on. I checked the tyres last night and the rear nearside is down at 31 psi. Checked again this morning and still at 31. Thought I would pop to the local garage to inflate it and monitor it today. Disaster! I get a flat on the way to the garage. There's no spare and I'm wearing a suit, so don't want to get messy anyway. My phone had no signal (we live in the sticks and it's a bit patchy at the best of times) so I left the car and walked home. Phoned a friend who runs a garage and made arrangements for him to collect the car. Called work and told them I was taking the day off. The Mini has now been rescued and my chum has investigated. The tyre is not repairable so we need a new tyre: £98+VAT. The upside here, of course is that at least my wife wasn't the one stranded. In addition, I had done the school run before disaster struck.

Finally, the postman has just arrived with a letter from HMRC. It tells me that I owe the taxman £1078 for the 2009/10 tax year. Cue me spending 5 minutes wandering round the house swearing liberally.

I've had enough now. The sun is shining here. I'm going outside to mow the lawn.

Grand Master
    don't run over the cat with the mower!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned
    I feel your pain, but you had your 3 so hopefully that's the last.

Journeyman
    Not a great start to the week, Monday only comes but once a week! Hopefully that's your lot for AT LEAST this week!

At times like these a visit to one's local and 3 quarts to a gallon of ale can be helpful.
    F.T.F.A.

Thats your lot, time to play the lottery.

Couldn't agree more with the last post but have a drink at home in case you get the blow job from the stasi.
    Life can be a bitch, the swearing will help but tomorrow can only be better

Master
    Bummer of a start to any week! Hopefully its good stuff from now on...

Thanks guys. I've mowed the front lawn, dug out a flower bed and painted a fence. All in all, a productive afternoon.
    I've done a lucky dip for tomorrow's Euro Millions and am about to open a bottle of ale.

Let's hope the week gets better...

Sorry about the other drama but what reason HMRC giving for the 5 - 6 year old request for cash ??

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    At times like these a visit to one's local and 3 quarts to a gallon of ale can be helpful.
    +1........couldn't agree more.

Whoever decided traditional spare wheels are a bad idea wants shooting.

Whoever designed watches that are susceptible to damage if the date's changed at the wrong time also wants shooting.

As for the tax folk............shooting's too good, crucifition's more appropriate.

OP take heart! Tomorrow will be better......hopefully.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try Oponeo for that tyre!

Good luck

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Sorry about the other drama but what reason HMRC giving for the 5 - 6 year old request for cash ??
    All the letter states is "Tax calculation for 2009-10. You have paid too little tax. You owe HMRC ..."

I'm going to have to go back through my records.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Thanks guys. I've mowed the front lawn, dug out a flower bed and painted a fence. All in all, a productive afternoon.
    I've done a lucky dip for tomorrow's Euro Millions and am about to open a bottle of ale.

Let's hope the week gets better...

nice, how's the cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    All the letter states is "Tax calculation for 2009-10. You have paid too little tax. You owe HMRC ..."

I'm going to have to go back through my records.
    It could be time to have a word in your accountants shell like, yeah ?
    Best of luck..

Don't Mini's use run flat tyres, well the wife's did a few years back, one hell of a crap ride the one she had, it could eat run flats too, changed them all for standard tyres, made a heck of a diffrece in ride comfort, just carried a puncture repair kit in the boot, as stated no spare.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    nice, how's the cat?
    The cat is fine. She's very much a house cat and only pops out to 'do her business' :)
    Her late brother (we lost him a year ago when he was run over in the village) was a wanderer.

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Don't Mini's use run flat tyres, well the wife's did a few years back, one hell of a crap ride the one she had, it could eat run flats too, changed them all for standard tyres, made a heck of a diffrece in ride comfort, just carried a puncture repair kit in the boot, as stated no spare.
    Our old Mini Cooper S (R53 series) had run flats and it ate them too. The current one (R56) has normal tyres. It's a massive improvement over the old one we had: more comfortable with way better economy (trip computer shows we're averaging 40 mpg). The R53 had the supercharged engine but I always felt the gearing was wrong. Cruising at 70mph in sixth gear, the revs were just over 3000rpm and economy suffered.

Anyway, the source of the puncture was a very small piece of wire/thin nail through the sidewall.

The wife's was a Mini one 1.6 I can't tell you how disappointed I was the first time I drove it, the most sluggish engine, totally gutless only had 7k on the clock, I had it remapped, made some difference but put me completely off it, moved it on a couple of years back before it started to cost us money.