closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question Time...

Question Time...

I was very surprised yesterday to see that Theo Paphitis (ex Dragon) on BBC Question Time was wearing an Apple Watch.... Not in a million years I would've expected him to own one, let alone wear it... So are the tables starting to turn on these little toys if even a guy who owns one of the most expensive and blinged out watch collections in the UK is proudly sporting one (and not even the rose gold version)?

Amazed he can work it, being a Milwall fan.

I imagine he was trying to project an image of being a man of the people who always has his finger on the pulse of both society and industry and uses the latest technology to keep up-to-date with blah blah blah.

It was the right tool for the job. Spot him at a fancy dinner where he needs to maintain a different image and I'm sure he'd be wearing something from his watch vault instead.

I did once read that you're not supposed to wear a watch at all at a black-tie event; it suggests that you might be thinking about other things or considering when it's time to leave, which is rude if you're a guest or if you're celebrating someone's achievements.

Apprentice
    Have seen lots of 'celebrities' wearing them recently, can only think apple are being very clever

can only think apple are being very clever

...or are giving them away, probably with incentives.
    ______

​Jim.

Sales of the apple watch are apparently doing very, very well. At a time when sales of Swiss watches are declining.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Sales of the apple watch are apparently doing very, very well. At a time when sales of Swiss watches are declining.

Interesting Hodinkee article on the matter, looking at the issue from another angle, although with hint of bias as you'd expect:

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/new...watch-industry

I think the 'threat' is a bit overblown. It's not another quartz crisis. Smart watches are only a threat to the regular watch industry if people who would otherwise have bought a Swiss watch buy a smartwatch instead. And my guess is that doesn't happen a lot.

Enthusiasts like us might buy a smartwatch just for the fun of it, but as they're comparatively cheap it doesn't cut heavily into our funds for buying more Swiss watches. People buying a once-in-a-lifetime special occasion watch are unlikely to choose a smartwatch.

And people who don't wear watches—which seems to be the dominant market for smartwatches—well, they wouldn't have bought a Swiss watch anyway.

To answer the OP's actual question, the Apple Watch is not an uncommon sight these days, on celebrities or otherwise. It hasn't taken the world by storm, but it isn't a flop either. And this is only the first generation; remember the first iPhone?

I think it will always remain a bit of a niche thing though. Everyone has a smartphone; not everybody will have a smartwatch. It's physically too small to do much on its tiny screen, or have good network bandwidth, or much battery capacity. Those things will improve a bit with time, but you can't get to the moon by climbing successively taller trees.

He's in the tech field, so probably enjoys what it can offer. Not for a dress-up occasion, I'd surmise...