closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5513 Back from repair and looking better than ever......

Master

5513 Back from repair and looking better than ever......

Had a small issue with this 5513 sold to Paul last year, Bezel fell off as it had, some years ago, been incorrectly fitted

Paul decided he'd rather have his money back, so his money he got, and I now have the watch back, all repaired, new Rolex plexi and looking like one of the nicest 5513's Ive had in some time

Not up for sale, not in the wrong section, just wanted to share a nice pic of a lovely, nearly 50 year old, watch

Marc

Craftsman
    That looks lovely! Sorry if this is a silly question, but do Rolex still supply a plexi instead of sapphire for the 5513?

Master
    Always Plexi on a watch of this age.

Marc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcJ View Post
    Always Plexi on a watch of this age.

Marc
    Thank you. For some reason, I thought they had stopped producing plexis, but realise now I might have confused that with discontinuation of Superdomes.

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    Thank you. For some reason, I thought they had stopped producing plexis, but realise now I might have confused that with discontinuation of Superdomes.
    I think you are right there, super domes are no longer supplied, but domed service replacement crystals are still used.

Master
    Killer. I'd love to own and wear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think you are right there, super domes are no longer supplied, but domed service replacement crystals are still used.
    So, if I send my superdome 5513 for service, would they leave the crystal alone or insist on replacing it with something inferior?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    So, if I send my superdome 5513 for service, would they leave the crystal alone or insist on replacing it with something inferior?
    If you instruct them to leave it on, they will not remove it, but they may get you to agree that the water pressure testing is compromised. Their role is to make your watch like brand new - leaving the superdome on presents them with an issue.

Personally, I would tell them to leave it on and accept any issues - just don't swim in it.

Craftsman
    That is a stunning looking watch

Craftsman
    That's absolutely gorgeous.

Craftsman
    Beautiful 5513 !!!!!!

Looks fantastic and a thumbs up for superb service Marc.

Gorgeous example of a stunning watch Marc!

Journeyman
    That's a great looking watch. How is the bracelet of the 5513 compared to the newer 14060?

Blimey Marc - that's lovely... can't believe you got it back because of a loose bezel

Master
    To be fair Tony it had been bodged by a lazy watchmaker, albeit a while ago but 36 hours and 50 quid later and it's been repaired and put right and I'm actually quite taken with it

Hubba Hubba! That looks stunningly beautiful

Master
    Classic watch, can go only one way in value and a very enjoyable wear in the meantime. Well done getting it fixed for that money, too.

H

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's lovely, particularly like the matte bezel insert.

Seems crazy that the watch was rejected for the sake of a little repair work on the bezel. The buyer clearly didn't appreciate that the insert is worth four figures alone rather than £60 for a lovely new one from Rolex.

Looks stunning.

Journeyman
    You said I was next in line if the deal fell through ;-)

great looking watch....Enjoy
    Last edited by moe100; 20th February 2016 at 00:44.

Master
    As others have said - that is stunning

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I did exactly that in 2012 with mine. Took it directly to Rolex St. James. Movement only service, Superdome and twinlock crown left completely as is. It comes back with a "yellow ticket" as they call it, with no guarantee of waterproofing and therefore without the usual service warranty card.

The thing I have always wondered about is what happens to the vintage parts if you agree to have them replaced. Rolex don't return them to you as we know, but do they destroy them? Do they slip into the grey market via the technician or are there really tight controls in place?
    Sort of a blood diamond analogy..........

Simply faultless. A lovely example of a beautiful watch. The bezel finish is lovely.

Master
    It looks fabulous, but isn't it perhaps all a bit 'back to front' these days? This is a Submariner, a watch known mainly for it's ability to operate in deep water. But this one can't....it is no longer meeting a basic requirement for a Submariner. It still could...Rolex could keep it fully on spec. But the hobbyist insistence on 'authenticity' has distorted the real essence of the watch.
    It was designed to be serviced, to be kept as near new as possible. But now that is not possible...the value would be destroyed. I wouldn't let Rolex replace the glass either, but there is something a bit worrying about the current obsession with authenticity. It's a living watch, not a museum piece.
    I bet this view will go down really well! As I said, in the current climate I would 'preserve' it too, you would lose too much money not to. But a properly functioning, waterproof, watch should be accepted as a viable way to approach this.

That's not really the case, though - all Rolex would need to do to bring it up to spec would be to fit a service dome on it. The only loss in value would be if was still wearing an original Superdome, and the difference in vale wouldn't be that significant.

Master
    Well all that matters is its making me smile this morning

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It looks fabulous, but isn't it perhaps all a bit 'back to front' these days? This is a Submariner, a watch known mainly for it's ability to operate in deep water. But this one can't....it is no longer meeting a basic requirement for a Submariner. It still could...Rolex could keep it fully on spec. But the hobbyist insistence on 'authenticity' has distorted the real essence of the watch.
    It was designed to be serviced, to be kept as near new as possible. But now that is not possible...the value would be destroyed. I wouldn't let Rolex replace the glass either, but there is something a bit worrying about the current obsession with authenticity. It's a living watch, not a museum piece.
    I bet this view will go down really well! As I said, in the current climate I would 'preserve' it too, you would lose too much money not to. But a properly functioning, waterproof, watch should be accepted as a viable way to approach this.
    I'm not sure that this is the case here as the plexi was replaced by Rolex.

I think that it is only when the plexi cannot be replaced that the waterproofing issues may occur?

Master
    This wasn't done by Rolex but by a well respected London watch repairer. Watch tested and passed 10atm although probably wouldn't dive in it

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would disagree. If you want a watch that you can use for its purpose I.e. Dive. You can walk into any Rolex dealership and buy one. You wouldn't buy a 5513, 1680, 1665 etc based on this. The beauty of the vintage pieces is there, well beauty and for me they are far more beautiful in their original form. The vintage Rolex won't break at the single drop of rain.

Also the more original the watch is the rarer it is.

Craftsman
    This wasn't done by Rolex but by a well respected London watch repairer. Watch tested and passed 10atm although probably wouldn't dive in it
    Would you be able to provide details of the watch repairer? It would be nice to know a trusted alternative to St. James.

I agree. I'd like to feel as though the watch on my wrist has seen existed through all these decades. If you keep replacing bits it ends up like Trigger's broom.

It looks marvellous, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I would disagree. If you want a watch that you can use for its purpose I.e. Dive. You can walk into any Rolex dealership and buy one. You wouldn't buy a 5513, 1680, 1665 etc based on this. The beauty of the vintage pieces is there, well beauty and for me they are far more beautiful in their original form. The vintage Rolex won't break at the single drop of rain.

Also the more original the watch is the rarer it is.

A large percentage of the value of a vintage watch is in the dial and if any water was to get in either via the crown or through the crystal failing then the watch is ruined. This is why most people would not risk wearing such a watch in water.

If you want a watch that you can swim and dive in, logic suggests that you buy a brand new one.

Master

Well all that matters is its making me smile this morning
    that is a very nice looking watch.

Journeyman

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?362693-5513-Back-from-repair-and-looking-better

A lovely example of an attainable classic.

Apprentice
    Lovely watch, I popped the front off of my 2000 - 14060 sub a couple of times, and have now lost the spring, it just spins around freely, does anyone know if I have to send it to Rolex to get it repaired?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by james3v3r3tt View Post
    Lovely watch, I popped the front off of my 2000 - 14060 sub a couple of times, and have now lost the spring, it just spins around freely, does anyone know if I have to send it to Rolex to get it repaired?
    Ask in wtb section someone might have what you need,don't think it needs Rolex to sort it tbh.Or maybe try eBay.

Master
    Wow that's beautiful.

Master
    The watch looks lovely and nice to read of a decent price repair to a vintage watch, result there :).
    Really posting just to say well done on refunding the buyer, if you had a watch to sell that I was interested in then that shows me you're a good seller and at the same time shows one of the huge benefits of a forum like this being that you can see some evidence of credibility.
    As someone contemplating their first vintage Rolex purchase this forum and the advice/knowledge on it has been great.

Master
    Thank you! I always stand by what I sell if there's an issue its dealt with

Marc

Master
    Ime just surprised at the buyer returning it for something which is fairly common on vintage and easy to repair! Fair play to you for giving a refund.

It looks fabulous, but isn't it perhaps all a bit 'back to front' these days? This is a Submariner, a watch known mainly for it's ability to operate in deep water. But this one can't....
    Yes, I don't own any dive watches that can't get wet. I'm a wearer, not a curator. But plenty of people love these watches precisely because of their age and authenticity. I can understand their point of view, while not necessarily sharing it. If you regarded watches solely as tools, with no respect for their individual beauty and character, you'd replace all your mechanical movements with quartz, wouldn't you?

Master

Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by james3v3r3tt View Post

Don't sweat it , just take it in to Rolex St James explaining you were cleaning the bezel and I'm sure they will take it in the back and sort it with the minimum of fuss .

Usually FOC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    If you regarded watches solely as tools, with no respect for their individual beauty and character, you'd replace all your mechanical movements with quartz, wouldn't you?
    This.

Apprentice
    Beautiful and a nice fade.

Craftsman
    Fantastic looking watch. I'd love to own that.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post
    Fantastic looking watch. I'd love to own that.
    Tis indeed,I do own it....😉

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Tis indeed,I do own it....😉
    Lucky man!

Apprentice
    She is stunning, I'm to new to view the for sale section

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by youngr View Post
    She is stunning, I'm to new to view the for sale section
    Another 55 mins and it will be back with me.