closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show your haute horology beaters

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    so polite, you must be very angry on this subject..........it's not our fault you can't afford a Rolex?!!!
    You still don't get it. :(

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    You still don't get it. :(

...........or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    ...........or you don't.
    ok.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Less of the old.

Show your haute horology beaters

Im a little more offended by people who buy expensive things just to own them and keep em in a safe to be honest, but ymmv.

Offended probably the wrong word. Puzzled maybe.
    Last edited by SockToy; 18th February 2016 at 18:45.

Master
    Not entirely sure this is HH, but it's a fine watch for real tennis. If you've played it, you'll know *quite* how solid the balls and racquets are. Seems to stand up to 'em pretty well.

Master
    People showing up with Rolex as beaters is a pointer to everything that is wrong in the world. It's smug also. Now if you said daily wearer then I am fine with that, but beater? Well I personally cannot afford any kind of Rolex, beaten up or pristine (nor can 90% of the planet and those starving around the world), so I think it's either an ego thing or pure insensitivity to parade your wealth like a "everyone look at me" badge. Go post on a Rolex forum if you want to do that.

Peace out.
    How is this wrong? Rolex are in general "beater" watches, particularly the SS Sport ones. They were originally made for this exact purpose, to be real tools, a GSHOCK of the mechanical watch. Ofcourse they have gold, and dressier ones which will classify less as a beater. Nothing "wrong" with the world.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    what's the point owning it if you don't wear it often
    If you need to ask the question you won`t understand the answer.

I own watches that might get worn 3-4 times a year; I`m fine with that, I still enjoy owning them. Some folks can`t grasp this concept of enjoying ownership of an item whilst rarely using it, they don`t see the point and trying to explain the appeal doesn`t work.....they still don`t get it.

As a collector you set out to acquire a certain model and once you've got a nice example you want it to stay nice. That means wearing them carefully, thinking about where you're going and what you're doing with the watch.

Even if I`ve refinished a watch myself I`m loathe to get it battered again, although that does depend on the watch in question. Some are everyday wearers, some have been restored to stay looking like new. I always advocate watches that can easily be refinished for everyday wear so the watch can be brought back to good condition again with minimal hassle and expense.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    For automatic watches I understand "beaters" just to mean a way of charging.
    Mr Sheen can attest to that

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just to fan the flames, here is my 'beater';

I work in a garage and wear it every day. I wear it doing DIY at home and very rarely take it off.
    It's not to show off. It's not because I don't respect the value of a pound coin. It's because I like watches and I really like Sea Dwellers. Therefore, I like to wear one all the time. So I do.

Cool

ok.
    Did you have a go at Steven Fry the other day on Twitter?

I don't class the MM as haute horology but both my Planet Ocean and Sub got the same
    treatment, just wasn't quite sad enough to take pics on self timer with them as well

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Just to fan the flames, here is my 'beater'
    what kind of perlon is that Dave?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    what kind of perlon is that Dave?
    Cousins uk.

They seem to be shorter than most which suits me as I've got the wrists of a 10 year old child.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is anthropomorphisation verboten?
    Not if you're an 18 year old girl christening her first car.... just saying ;)

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Not if you're an 18 year old girl christening her first car.... just saying ;)

Simon
    I find anthropomorphising inanimate objects balances out all the dreary people one comes across who seem to be missing half their personality.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cousins uk.

They seem to be shorter than most which suits me as I've got the wrists of a 10 year old child.
    Cheers! It looks chunkier than da Luca.

Grand Master
    I guess the word "Beater" means a watch you would wear without giving any thought or concern about it getting damaged even to the point of destruction!,even loss,for me that would not be a sub or any watch over a tenner!.

That DOES NOT cover most watches described as beaters in this thread...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I guess the word "Beater" means a watch you would wear without giving any thought or concern about it getting damaged even to the point of destruction!,even loss,for me that would not be a sub or any watch over a tenner!.

That DOES NOT cover most watches described as beaters in this thread...
    Not to you maybe, but maybe it does to the owners....

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post

Not to me OK.

Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well done, Mark. The first sports watch!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    indeed, but a few on here just can't see or accept that.

A Rolex CAN be a beater.
    I agree more or less with P9CLY's definition of a beater, more or less.
    It is like splitting hairs but there IS a difference between a daily wear watch or an 'everything' watch and a beater.
    The term beater implies you do wear other watches at other times when you are not indulging in activities that pose the potential risk of scratching/damage. So, if there is only one watch that you wear at all times, it is not a beater even if you are subjecting it to abuse. An expensive or luxury watch can be a beater- like say you wear a Patek or a RM or an ALS at other times and switch to a Sub or an SD when working in the garage or the garden. But, if SD is the only watch you ever wear, it is your 'everything' watch, not a beater.
    Sounds complicated? May be it is.
    And, strictly my opinion.
    Others may think differently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, my watches are insured so if the worst happens, it's covered. If it gets beaten up to the point it looks horrid, then a (admittedly expensive) trip to St James will have it looking new again.

I do agree with Rajens definition. I wouldn't wear any watch if the risk of smashing it in was massively high but I will take off what I'm wearing and put on the SD if there is a chance of damage. So I suppose that's a out as beater as it gets for me.

Apprentice
    Just my two pence
    I can't afford a Rolex! then again I'm not a fan of them but I have a omega I saved for over three years and a tag I was given as a pressie and a brietling I'm about to buy if I can get the deal I want I admire the watches I see on the forum and the people who have them have earned them.
    and so fair play to them for wearing them and sharing with the rest of us

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Markstan1975 View Post
    Just my two pence
    I can't afford a Rolex! then again I'm not a fan of them but I have a omega I saved for over three years and a tag I was given as a pressie and a brietling I'm about to buy if I can get the deal I want I admire the watches I see on the forum and the people who have them have earned them.
    and so fair play to them for wearing them and sharing with the rest of us
    Well said mate I couldn't agree more I love looking at the watches other members post pics off. Some people have money and others have even more. It's life and the way of world you can't let it get you down

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post

It's been in the gym, the pool, the playground with the kids, hiking, gardening... Not many perpetual calendars can say that. Of course, being made out of ceramic, it doesn't show a single bit of wear.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Regards,
    Adam
    That is lovely Adam. Just don't drop it!

Personally I wear what I fancy on a given day: I don't wear my vintage watches if I'm going in the water but that's the only consideration I give to everyday wear and tear. In fact, my PO (while clearly not "haute": I haven't got anything "haute") probably gets the roughest deal as I wear it as my default weekend and holiday watch. It's been bashed on bits of engine, dragged through sand, dropped occasionally and once got so muddy I couldn't read it. It's got its share of scratches and scrapes (including one on the ceramic bezel. Oops) but I don't care - I seen them as patina, evidence of use.

And for me, ultimately, there's no point in having nice things if they don't get used.

Master
    Does it count that I spent several hours with a bench magnifier and diamond files getting weld splatter off a Breitling last year? I just get wrapped up in things some times and forget what I'm wearing. My wedding ring has a good pip of weld stuck to it too (who knew steel stuck to gold?)

Well, this should put the cat amongst the pigeons, both old, both loved and both worn and both jumbo's.
    ss/g and Wg/diamond dial

I'm not sure what counts as haute horology and I am instinctively careful with all my watches regardless of value, so I think I don't have any watches that can count as a 'haute horology beater'. But I wear this watch relatively often, especially when travelling.

Not so much a beater as beaten. A friend of a friend made and spent a lot of money in his youth, including buying this Patek which he drunkenly wore in the shower. 15+ years later, heaven knows what haute horrors lie within this wreck:

Master

Some people may find this offensive as it's a Bell & Ross 😂😂 It's not haute horology. But it's my beater and I love it. It's got loads of dents and scratches and the PVD is now worn through in places. For that reason it gets better with age. These big old square things aren't for everyone. But my 8" plus wrists love 'em.

I must have done the Rolex sports watch 24/7 thing for the best part of 15 years. Never gave it a thought tbh, wasn't being flash just never thought about it. Then kids arrived, changing nappies, food being thrown around, reaching down toilets to retrieve toys and teddy bears etc. Ever tried getting poo/yoghurt/mashed banana/urine/felt tip/dribble/paint/craft glue out of an Oyster bracelet, from under the bezel, and between the crown and case? - that's what a Casio DW5600 is for, or even better the old mudman.
    I know we all think macho DIY and power tools, working on V12 engines and high impact macho sports, high fiving our 20 stone 6 foot 8 mates whilst drinking beer and falling out of helicopters (and extreme gardening ?!?) when we talk about beaters, but try getting the smell of baby sick or diarrhoea off your Swiss timepiece.........ugh......sorry guys!

Lol,Robdad- that was an amusing post and I totally get what you are saying!

Grand Master
    I've got a beater, but it's not a true beater as I don't wear it whilst beating, or gardening, assembling endless barbecues, polishing my Audi etc. So more of a "false" beater. I also have a beater for my beater, whenever I fancy a quick beat and my beater isn't to hand.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Just to fan the flames, here is my 'beater';
    LOL

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post

It's been in the gym, the pool, the playground with the kids, hiking, gardening... Not many perpetual calendars can say that. Of course, being made out of ceramic, it doesn't show a single bit of wear.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Regards,
    Adam
    isn't the inside part of the strap leather, is it? If so, doesn't get soaked in water?

Haters unhappy at me and several others for wearing our watches in less than optimal situations, take a look at this! Downright abomination!

Credits to MackAttack

Gasp! The things people do for "likes" on instagram...

Credits to MackAttack.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Not entirely sure this is HH, but it's a fine watch for real tennis. If you've played it, you'll know *quite* how solid the balls and racquets are. Seems to stand up to 'em pretty well.

Is that the club at Leamington?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rik_68 View Post
    isn't the inside part of the strap leather, is it? If so, doesn't get soaked in water?
    It's not so much the leather lining as it is the padding on the inside of the strap that you have to worry about. If it isn't dried out properly, it starts to stink something awful.

If I know it's gonna get soaked, I wear it on a custom canvas strap I had made for it.

Regards,
    Adam

This is my daily weather. I love this watch and will never part with it. No safe queen though (far from it) comes with me skiing, to work (not manual stuff though) and on a couple of stag dos....don't do gardening though!

Each to their own re how they use their watches.

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    Haters unhappy at me and several others for wearing our watches in less than optimal situations, take a look at this! Downright abomination!

Credits to MackAttack
    Why do I get a 'This video is private' message when I click on those videos??

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Why do I get a 'This video is private' message when I click on those videos??
    Sorry about that. Have changed the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post
    This is my daily weather. I love this watch and will never part with it. No safe queen though (far from it) comes with me skiing, to work (not manual stuff though) and on a couple of stag dos....don't do gardening though!

Each to their own re how they use their watches.

Cheers

Snap!, same daily for me :)

The AP is lovely but not a beater, is it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Snap!, same daily for me :)
    another one here please