closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay Rant

Ebay Rant

I sold something on Ebay. The item was brand new and unopened.

This is the message from the buyer through Ebay:
    I have received the item; however, I do not think it can be described as new. The original packaging is very marked and while that is not a problem in itself, there is evidence of probes having been placed into the terminals and the right hand terminal is much lower than the other, as if it had been pushed into the unit; it also appears to be damaged?

To save the hassle I have accepted the return. No way was it damaged (It is a clear wrapper so I would have known straight away). I am guessing it won't even be the original that is returned.
    I suppose that is the cost of selling on Ebay.

And breathe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    I sold something on Ebay. The item was brand new and unopened.

This is the message from the buyer through Ebay:
    I have received the item; however, I do not think it can be described as new. The original packaging is very marked and while that is not a problem in itself, there is evidence of probes having been placed into the terminals and the right hand terminal is much lower than the other, as if it had been pushed into the unit; it also appears to be damaged?

To save the hassle I have accepted the return. No way was it damaged (It is a clear wrapper so I would have known straight away). I am guessing it won't even be the original that is returned.
    I suppose that is the cost of selling on Ebay.

And breathe.

No protection for sellers on eBay. Buyers it's amazing.

Blog Entries
    One of things... I've had a couple of weirdos trying it on through eBay, but, just make it down to experience...

Remember, most people are fair and reasoanble... There are a few who aren't...

Did you ask them to send pictures through or just offered the return?

Just offered the return. I should have told him to pound sand but it would just prolong the stress :) I suppose with Ebay, the seller is on a loser in this sort of thing.

This is the main reason why I don't sell anything on eBay anymore, I'm sure you'll probably be correct when you say that you doubt the original will be returned. IMO ebay has had its day.

Haven't sold anything on EBay now for over 4 years.They have created a monster.

^^^This

It's hardly worth it anymore. Nigerian scammer hitting 'Buy it now' for every listing and lowballers making ridiculous offers if you include 'make an offer' who then get Sh**ty when you just ignore their generous offer. I actually accepted a silly offer once after a long sob story email only to see it listed by the buyer before he had even received it for a whole lot more! Never again. Just not worth it anymore. Ebay used to be great when it was about people selling stuff for at auction to other people who wanted or need it but it really isn't like that anymore.

Ebay Rant

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    Just offered the return. I should have told him to pound sand but it would just prolong the stress :) I suppose with Ebay, the seller is on a loser in this sort of thing.
    I guess I can understand that if it's the first time, but if you stay on eBay or any other listing it might be worth taking photos before you send and then ask for photos on any complaint.

Not saying it's the 'cure all' but may dissuade some or give you the opportunity to point out that what they may think is damage, isn't?

Agree though, professionally selling through eBay or payments via PayPal generally side with buyers, but maybe that's why it's so important to get the pre-mailing photos and then the customer photos with what they think is wrong? It might show the customer as being ill informed or a completely different product or new damage?

All the best in any event!

Master
    I got scammed a few years ago the woman who scammed me said a camera I sold was broken she wasn't very clever and kept contradicting herself in her emails but PayPal still refunded her and she kept the camera and sent me back an old fag lighter I complained to eBay and they refunded me, she must have tried the same thing before.

I'm now always expecting problems when I sell on eBay although there haven't been any, problem is there are a lot of things you can only sell through eBay these days

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    This is the main reason why I don't sell anything on eBay anymore, I'm sure you'll probably be correct when you say that you doubt the original will be returned. IMO ebay has had its day.
    I totally agree. I've sold items that I know were both working perfectly and properly packaged, yet they were claimed to be damaged. Funnily enough when asked for proof I didnt hear from both buyers again.

Also never send anything without proof of postage as you can be sure a buyer will claim the item hadn't been received leaving you no choice but to refund or to send another item out.

I think this is the reason why we see so many clothes and other clutter on SC.

Master
    I have fortunately not encountered too many problems selling on Ebay although for many reasons, I wound rather not do so! As mentioned above, for many things there isn't really an alternative, Gumtree is as bad/worse and forums (unless for that specific sort of item) often do not have a wide enough audience. I have sold several items for more than they cost me (even after fees etc and no, it isn't for a business!) and usually have satisfied buyers.

I don't sent things abroad generally and exclude certain bidders and also have auto reject on BIN items with Best Offer to avoid the idiots who want to pay half or less of what you have listed the item for!

Master
    I'm another who pretty much gave up on selling on ebay many years ago, I only do it if I really have no other way to sell something and its just too expensive to just give the item away. I know I have quite a few bits in the garage that I could sell on but I have no patience for idiots and struggle to let it go when I do have the displeasure of dealing with one.......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    ^^^This

It's hardly worth it anymore. Nigerian scammer hitting 'Buy it now' for every listing and lowballers making ridiculous offers if you include 'make an offer' who then get Sh**ty when you just ignore their generous offer. I actually accepted a silly offer once after a long sob story email only to see it listed by the buyer before he had even received it for a whole lot more! Never again. Just not worth it anymore. Ebay used to be great when it was about people selling stuff for at auction to other people who wanted or need it but it really isn't like that anymore.
    Yes, every listing I've done recently with best offer has attracted ridiculous offers.
    Was selling an LV bag for £700 (worth it and someone happily paid full asking price) and it got an offer of £200?
    I think people think if you have are selling something, you need any money you can get your hands on, yesterday.

Journeyman
    I had to do a refund on a "for parts or not working" item. I'm not sure which bit of "for parts or not working" wasn't clear enough!