closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 145 of 145

Thread: Which Harley Would You Buy?

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Right Mr Sunshine where are you
    Good question!

    Nice bike
    The seat looks comfortable...are you going to leave the belt guard off?

  2. #102
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,171
    Yes I took upper and lower belt guards off and would like to take the pulley cover off too
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  3. #103

    bike

    that looks great. I am going to go and try one out again!

  4. #104
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,171
    Thats the tank lifted and coil and ignition relocated



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  5. #105
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    599
    The only Harley I'd be seen on -


  6. #106
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,171
    Harley now complete less the front springs

    https://youtu.be/r0pPxjf8DCg
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  7. #107
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    1,228
    Very nice indeed, you've made a great job of that. I'll be making a lot of those mods to the new 48 I collect tomorrow.

  8. #108
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    If you can get the HD thinking out of your head these are worth a test drive. Having owned all sorts of bikes the Diavel is the perfect bridge between sports bike and cruiser. Comfortable, content to cruise when you choose, sound awesome, very responsive, handling is amazing and an awesome 240 rear tyre.

    What a BEAST!

  9. #109
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by D_redd View Post
    What a BEAST!
    Awesome bikes, the Diavel - still miss mine.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    From the first time I saw Evel Knievel on TV as a kid I have wanted an XR750...

    now THAT is a Harley. short stroke 750cc screamer, lightened and , if I'm not mistaken, assymetric handlebars as they only ever turn left!
    Oh and no brakes .
    a search on youtube for flat track racing will show some heroics.

  11. #111
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,171
    Bikes almost where I want it now after pitting the Big Pipes on today, shame the indicators where the wrong ones but that will be fixed by the weekend


    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  12. #112
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    399
    I bought a brand new Street Bob Special Today as my first bike! Pick it up Friday, can't wait!

    Has anyone fitted slip ons themselves as I fancy a black set.

  13. #113
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,171
    Yes I have and I did all the changes to the above. If you're anywhere near Surrey / Hants we will sort for you


    Instagram:@blowersmayfair
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  14. #114
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    399
    I'm up in Liverpool so a bit far away. I've been thinking about buying a set of slips and trying to fit myself but I'm far from a mechanic so could end in tears!

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    399
    Just picked my new bike up in a Thunder storm!
    It's made me realise just how little I know about Motorbikes. I don't even know how to wash the thing!

    A few hours in and it doesn't look clean like this anymore.

  16. #116
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    16,171
    Just love HD, I know I know utter crap and old mans bikes but still making me smile 30 years on as I am about to get yet another
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  17. #117
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    399
    I saw on another forum that you are looking for a bagger. What you getting?

  18. #118
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    1,884
    As a biker you have to try one at least once. I bought a 1200 sportster years ago and soon found that it 'wasn't me' Trouble was me thinking I could rag it round like a sports bike and I knew I would break it so sold it on, for a profit I might add.
    A bit later I was offered a Buell XB12S very cheap (I was in the trade) and that was a different kettle and no mistake. I should have kept that one. It had an awesome reg no. BUE11X. Sold it to a german who came to uk with a big van and went back full of Buells.

  19. #119
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Just love HD, I know I know utter crap and old mans bikes but still making me smile 30 years on as I am about to get yet another
    There were a few at Loomies on Saturday, they seem to be the older gentlemans steed of choice

    https://youtu.be/USDxRNIw0Pk

  20. #120
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    salisbury
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I bought a brand new Street Bob Special Today as my first bike! Pick it up Friday, can't wait!

    Has anyone fitted slip ons themselves as I fancy a black set.
    Fitting slip ons are piece of piss. Just unbolt and bolt new ones on. Only bit of advice is if you want to fit quiet baffles, do it before you have had them on too long or before you fit. Changing baffles after time can be a pita as they rust in. Also if the bike isn't already stage 1, think about that and getting it mapped correctly, from stock the bikes are not mapped well.

  21. #121
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    399
    I have a Fp3 ready to go on. I just don't have any of the supporting mods to make it worthwhile. I might get a set of slip-ons and fit them and the Fp3 after my first service

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  22. #122
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I'm up in Liverpool so a bit far away. I've been thinking about buying a set of slips and trying to fit myself but I'm far from a mechanic so could end in tears!

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    They're easy to put on and if you pick up a universal set from www.classicbikeshop.co.uk, (they also sell on ebay), you won't be getting hit hard in the wallet, (unlike buying Vance & Hines or HD). This set on my Indian cost £80 for the pair - with all necessary fixing attachments. Just look in their 'universal' section.


  23. #123
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,630
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Just love HD, I know I know utter crap and old mans bikes but still making me smile 30 years on as I am about to get yet another

    Funnily enough having decided to sell my Diavel I realised there was no other bike that was going to put another grin on my face unless it was a HD.

    Must be my age but itís lovely to cruise now without pressure from the devil on your shoulder to go faster.

    Still a lump of an engine at 1450cc, happily cruise at 70ish with plenty of power to overtake at ease.

    Still things to change but getting there and I love it. Best head turner yet and Harleyís are the only bike to get smiles from grannies!






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #124
    Craftsman Tifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    948
    Could put together something like this for not too much money.



    Or maybe an Avinton..?
    Not a Harley engine as such...but...sheer horn...


  25. #125
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,427
    Quote Originally Posted by tom3949 View Post
    They're easy to put on and if you pick up a universal set from www.classicbikeshop.co.uk, (they also sell on ebay), you won't be getting hit hard in the wallet, (unlike buying Vance & Hines or HD). This set on my Indian cost £80 for the pair - with all necessary fixing attachments. Just look in their 'universal' section.

    How long have you had the Scout? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it please.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  26. #126
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,427
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Just picked my new bike up in a Thunder storm!
    It's made me realise just how little I know about Motorbikes. I don't even know how to wash the thing!

    A few hours in and it doesn't look clean like this anymore.
    Nice one. Loving the bars on that, I'm thinking of changing the apes on mine to something similar, but a tad higher perhaps.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  27. #127
    Master steptoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Putney
    Posts
    1,628
    Bought a brand new 1200 sportster in 1988, sold it 2 years later for the same money i bought it for.

    Bought an old 1989 Evo Electra-Glide in 2010, sold it 2 years ago.

    As posted previously, this is the only one that tickles my fancy nowadays.

    [/QUOTE]

  28. #128
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,427
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Bought a brand new 1200 sportster in 1988, sold it 2 years later for the same money i bought it for.

    Bought an old 1989 Evo Electra-Glide in 2010, sold it 2 years ago.

    As posted previously, this is the only one that tickles my fancy nowadays.

    [/QUOTE]

    What exactly is that?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  29. #129
    What exactly is that?[/QUOTE]

    My money's on twin cam Dyna Wideglide.

    With a few tweaks

  30. #130
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,024
    I must admit, I really fancy a Fat Bob with that big old Milwaukee-eight engine!


  31. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I must admit, I really fancy a Fat Bob with that big old Milwaukee-eight engine!

    If you've not ridden an M8, the Fat Bob is certainly worth trying. For me it was very like my R1200R Sport but with (not toooo far) forwards.

  32. #132
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    282
    http://imgur.com/a/oVYy582

    Something like this , anything else is just too middle aged BAB for me
    Last edited by Liner33; 16th June 2019 at 19:56.

  33. #133
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lytham
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    If you've not ridden an M8, the Fat Bob is certainly worth trying. For me it was very like my R1200R Sport but with (not toooo far) forwards.
    AND the brakes work!! That was a first for me

  34. #134
    Iím seriously considering the new Indian flat tracker.....
    Think outside the box?

  35. #135
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,630
    Quote Originally Posted by edzt View Post
    AND the brakes work!! That was a first for me
    Itís not a real Harley unless you are praying whilst braking

  36. #136
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,394
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I must admit, I really fancy a Fat Bob with that big old Milwaukee-eight engine!

    My next bike, right there.

  37. #137
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How long have you had the Scout? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it please.
    I've had the Scout for 2 years and before this have owned a number of Harleys, (Sportster Custom, Superglide Custom and Fat Boy), and you really have to compare the Scout to the Sportster and IMHO there is really no contest. The Scout wins hands down. Silky smooth gearbox, 100BHP. fantastic handling. However you have to consider that the Scout has been designed to have it's powerband in the high rev range. It is a town bike which is really an amalgamation of a cruiser and a sports bike. Many reviews have stated that the engine could be lifted out of the Scout straight into a sports bike and this is borne out when riding on motorways. The Scout isn't something you want to be touring on - it is a high revving motor with a killer turn of speed. I am actually thinking of moving on from this as ultimately I am more of a fan of a low grunt tourer. Loved the Fat Boy and if I sell the Scout, (and this has only about a !,000 miles on it - which is criminal), I will probably look at a second hand Road King. My bike is a 2016 which had Indian branded tyres which were slated by all and sundry in the wet - so I changed them to Bridgestone Exedra Max's. I also added a set of turn out slip ons which took the exhaust tone to the next level. :o) If you are considering a sportster / triumph bobber etc the Scout needs serious consideration.

  38. #138
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,427
    Quote Originally Posted by tom3949 View Post
    I've had the Scout for 2 years and before this have owned a number of Harleys, (Sportster Custom, Superglide Custom and Fat Boy), and you really have to compare the Scout to the Sportster and IMHO there is really no contest. The Scout wins hands down. Silky smooth gearbox, 100BHP. fantastic handling. However you have to consider that the Scout has been designed to have it's powerband in the high rev range. It is a town bike which is really an amalgamation of a cruiser and a sports bike. Many reviews have stated that the engine could be lifted out of the Scout straight into a sports bike and this is borne out when riding on motorways. The Scout isn't something you want to be touring on - it is a high revving motor with a killer turn of speed. I am actually thinking of moving on from this as ultimately I am more of a fan of a low grunt tourer. Loved the Fat Boy and if I sell the Scout, (and this has only about a !,000 miles on it - which is criminal), I will probably look at a second hand Road King. My bike is a 2016 which had Indian branded tyres which were slated by all and sundry in the wet - so I changed them to Bridgestone Exedra Max's. I also added a set of turn out slip ons which took the exhaust tone to the next level. :o) If you are considering a sportster / triumph bobber etc the Scout needs serious consideration.
    Thanks, itís nice to get a real world owners view. Was toying with either replacing my Street Bob or getting something else as well. I do like the look of the Scout.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  39. #139
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks, itís nice to get a real world owners view. Was toying with either replacing my Street Bob or getting something else as well. I do like the look of the Scout.
    Go to a dealer and have a test ride. If you're use to a Harley the gear box will be a revelation! However, as I said in my previous post the Scout is really competition for the Sportser - not Softails. However if you want cruiser looks with a sports bike engine .... It is nippy!

  40. #140
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,427
    Quote Originally Posted by tom3949 View Post
    Go to a dealer and have a test ride. If you're use to a Harley the gear box will be a revelation! However, as I said in my previous post the Scout is really competition for the Sportser - not Softails. However if you want cruiser looks with a sports bike engine .... It is nippy!
    Thanks, looking at the Indian website the FTR1200S looks pretty exciting!

    Nearest dealer is 45m away so will have to arrange a trip out. Still like my Dyna but it's getting heavier every year!

    Last edited by oldoakknives; 17th June 2019 at 23:54.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  41. #141
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    bradford england
    Posts
    131
    Buy what your heart desires. I mainly ride sport bikes but my harley is a 21 year old Road king classic . 1340 engine ( the engine that saved harley )
    Bulletproof. Inflation proof . Looks cool !. 14,000 miles and the price going one way.

  42. #142
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
    Buy what your heart desires. I mainly ride sport bikes but my harley is a 21 year old Road king classic . 1340 engine ( the engine that saved harley )
    Bulletproof. Inflation proof . Looks cool !. 14,000 miles and the price going one way.
    One of the reasons I am seriously considering a second hand Road King.

  43. #143
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,816
    I donít have a bike licence but walked past the Harley dealership in Preston yesterday and saw this....it made me start to question my life choices......!!

  44. #144
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,630
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks, looking at the Indian website the FTR1200S looks pretty exciting!

    Nearest dealer is 45m away so will have to arrange a trip out. Still like my Dyna but it's getting heavier every year!

    Diavel-Harley love child!

  45. #145
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    3,473
    Had my XR for 8 years now, under 5k miles, criminal I know, but can really hustle around town and twisties, very smart off the line and stops when you need too.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •