View Poll Results: Which Rolex to keep?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1016 Explorer

108 62.79%
  • LV Hulk

64 37.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex; one stays, one goes. Which?

Rolex; one stays, one goes. Which?

Due to an incoming vintage 1655 Explorer II, one of my two Rolex needs to go - not an easy choice as both are around the same value but very different watches... I'd like to explore people's thoughts as I'm genuinely conflicted here. One certainly has to go, no option to keep both - literally nothing else to part with in the watch box.

First the 1016 Explorer. It's a 1974 watch so birth year for me. Gorgeous original watch with a nice (not full) set and recent service, great and very light patina. 36mm so small by modern standards, but looks great on and wears slightly larger than the more modern 14270 Explorer 36mm (dial to bezel ratio). But I don't wear it often, it's not one that's reached for, for whatever reason. However, it's only going one way in value, it's an absolute watch icon and finding a birth year watch in this condition would be extremely difficult if I decided I'd made a mistake.

Second the 116610 LV - the Hulk. It's my second one, I always love them but they are easy to move on and relatively easy to buy again (although there do seem to be fewer of them at the right price). It's one of the watches I reach for at the weekend; faultlessly reliable, at home in a posh restaurant or in a swimming pool. If I sell it and realise I made a mistake, I can probably find another at within £100 of what I sold it for.

Perhaps this is a heart over head thing; the virtually irreplaceable birth year 1016 that doesn't get worn Vs. the easily replaceable LV that gets worn all the time and will probably be missed immediately.

The incoming 1655 is also a consideration as it could possibly mean the 1016 gets no wear whatsoever, or would it simply replace the LV as the go-to SS weekend Rolex at home in every situation? I know only I can answer that, but I'm struggling.

I suppose I am actually asking 'what would you do' in the same situation? In case there's something I haven't thought of, happy to hear all comments. No doubt someone will recommend buying a Speedmaster or an MX-5 as always :)

Master
    Lewis, purely on aesthetics, in my opinion, I would keep the green.

But I expect I will be in the minority!
    Last edited by markbannister; 9th February 2016 at 12:49.

Master
    The LV is only money, the Explorer will be damn near irreplaceable. Lose the LV and buy another one when finances allow.

If it was me I couldn't let the Explorer go because of the personal connection and uniqueness.

I think you are more likely to have regrets if you sell the Explorer, so I vote the LV to go.

Craftsman
    Keep the Explorer! So simple and elegant.

Keep the green one - looks gorgeous, but subtle.

I'm going to disagree here. Whilst the explorer is a rare beauty, if it's not going to get worn then what's the point of keeping it? (Apart from financial appreciation).

On the other hand, if you think the explorer II will replace the LV then there's no point keeping that one either.

What I'd do is to wait a while and keep all three for now. Make the decision after you've lived with them for a while.

I would lose the LV simply as so easily replaced later. Was the same for me when I sold my Millgauss GV even though I really liked it and missed it know can easily replace if I decide I miss it too much.

A no brainer. One is "easily replaceable" the other "virtually irreplaceable".
    Do l actually need to continue?
    Heart wins but in this case head also agrees - what would you be thinking with if you ignored both???

Master
    You hardly wear the explorer and with the incoming vintage may wear it even less.

Whats the point in keeping it unless you are emotionally attached to it.

I will be in a minority but if it isn't being worn sell it.

Master
    You can dive in and out of modern Rolex very easily and with SC for very little cost, so I'd keep the 74 as having looked for something decent in birth year spec I know how bloody hard it is to find a good 'un.

Master

As I don't get the vintage thing I'd be keeping the LV......the fact that you've bought it twice should tell you something..

Keep the 1016 - a perfect partner for the 1655.

Master
    Like most of us, you have too many watches. One Rolex is quite enough. The Explorer is classy and rare, the hulk is neither classy or rare...in truth the bulk and colour make it a bit coarse as a design (sorry but you did ask for opinions.) Keep the Explorer, wear it, love it, stop confusing yourself with meaningless choices.
    I've realised that more watches just means more confusion. I now have one 'everyday' Rolex, and one 'dress' model, e. I should sell one, but, of course, no-one follows their own advice.

Master
    Lewis, definitely sell the hulk in my opinion - no brainer given the circumstances and ease of replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    if it's not going to get worn then what's the point of keeping it? (Apart from financial appreciation).
    This is the dilemma put very succinctly. The financial thing can't be ignored (I am at that age sadly). It's not like I keep it as a safe queen, I guess that I don't really do 'vintage' as a thing, I prefer modern(ish) watches, so it has to compete with the modern stuff on merit. And on merit it's small, rattly and has no date. The fact that's it's awesome just for being what it is doesn't cut the mustard.

I'm actually wearing the 1016 right now - and am puzzled as to why I don't wear it more often. It looks great, it's comfortable and it's classy. Maybe I just need to wear it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    As I don't get the vintage thing I'd be keeping the LV......the fact that you've bought it twice should tell you something..
    I know Andy - but would buying it a third time make me any less weird? ;)

I can part with it for close to what I paid, and then in 6 months buy another (or an LB if it's a good 6 months), but current situation means I can't keep all three...

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Perhaps this is a heart over head thing; the virtually irreplaceable birth year 1016 that doesn't get worn Vs. the easily replaceable LV that gets worn all the time and will probably be missed immediately.
    I'm a wearer, not a collector, so this is a no-brainer for me. Although I'd personally prefer the 1016, you don't, so it should go to make room for a watch that you'll wear.

I've bought things in the past that I later realised I admired, but didn't like. If I were running a watch museum, they'd take pride of place, but I'm not. So I've ceased trying to argue with my own taste and tell it what I ought to like—it doesn't work that way.

Master
    I really don't understand the birth year thing, so for me that doesn't come in to it. In my head that makes replacement from the same era a little easier. It's going to get worn even less due to the incoming - the hulk has got to stay.

No doubt someone will recommend buying a Speedmaster or an MX-5 as always :)
    I do have a 2007 MX-5 about to go on sale if you fancy a trade?

I'm afraid my advice will be of little help to you, as I gravitate toward smaller vintage watches, and hate green as a color on a watch. It sounds like you are leaning the other direction. Hopefully this thread has helped you clarify the issue in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitfield
    I'm a wearer, not a collector, so this is a no-brainer for me. Although I'd personally prefer the 1016, you don't, so it should go to make room for a watch that you'll wear.

I've bought things in the past that I later realised I admired, but didn't like. If I were running a watch museum, they'd take pride of place, but I'm not. So I've ceased trying to argue with my own taste and tell it what I ought to like—it doesn't work that way.
    This strikes a chord with me.

But it's not that I don't like the 1016, I love it, it just doesn't get worn as much as the LV - the LV is just so... sturdy? For want of a better word. I trust it.

I think I at least have to wait for the 1655 to come in and have them all side-by-side for a few days. It may totally eclipse the 1016 or may complement it perfectly. I remember sitting on an oil rig in about 1999-2000ish and seeing the 1655 for the first time on the internet. Absolutely loved it and ended up with a Polar-dialled 16570 for work for the next decade. Much like when I bought my Morgan a couple of years back, I realised this was actually the car I had wanted for the 20 years and for some reason had bought dozens of others instead - perhaps it won't need a vintage partner, perhaps it'll be worn as a modern watch. So all bets are still off!

Perhaps: as the older you get, the more you'll wear the smaller watch?

If the sell the Hunk and find you've screwed up, you'll have no problem swapping around. If you sell the 1016 and find you've screwed up, more of a ballsache.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If the sell the Hunk and find you've screwed up, you'll have no problem swapping around.
    Of course you're right - it would be near as dammit a straight swap to get back to where I was if the Hulk goes and I want it back.

The 1016 to stay it seems. I'll see if my mind changes when the new arrival comes.

Will be weird to only have vintage Rolex. That's a new one on me!

Master
    I would definitely keep the Explorer, it's much more my sort of thing - classic style, minimalist and small. It has a lot more character as well, for me. Not something you could replace easily and much more distinctive for that.

Craftsman
    Rarity and near-irreplaceability trumps everything else for me. Let the Hulk go, as you can always get a 3rd one again in future. As for wear, with a watch collection, it is inevitable that some will get worn less than others. The favoured one(s) also differ(s) over time. The only way to maximise or equalise wear is to have a rota(!) or have only one watch (not gonna happen!).

Master
    Please, Lewis, sell the LV.....to me ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lewis. Do you have to lose one immediately?
    I would be tempted to keep them both, and the incoming ii, for a month or so and see which you prefer then. It's possible that you may not be as enamoured with the 1655 as you are the two that you're considering chopping.
    (I can't see that happening btw but it's possible)

I'd probably keep the Lv and the 1655 even though the 1016 is lovely. 1655 beats it for me.

Master
    The LV and put it in SC for me to snap up at a cracking price please :-)

I'd keep the explorer.

Mark

Grand Master
    Definitely keep the Explorer. Far harder to replace than the green thing.......and far nicer IMO.

Never seen the appeal of a green watch.

Paul

Craftsman
    I'd keep the explorer but it is a tough choice.

Keep the Explorer. it's simple elegance is lovely.
    I couldn't live with the green LV.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Never seen the appeal of a green watch.
    And yet on the wrist, it really is something special Paul. Took me a while, but it allowed to me to have a Sub without thinking 'everyone's got one of these'. Elevates a very standard (albeit beautifully made) watch to another level IMHO.

Unless you get a lot of value of out of looking at the Explorer in the watch box Lewis, it's the one that should go. You'll miss most the watch you actually wear, so the Hulk is the one to keep.

Regarding the appreciation of the Explorer, if you drop the thing, or even if it gets knocked then anticipated future value could well be affected. So for that reason I'd discount that aspect of the argument—there's too much that can go wrong with a watch (especially one that's worn!) for its investment potential to be taken into account.

Master
    Unless you're happy just to have it sat in a box/safe, then I'd sell the one you don't wear - the Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Lewis. Do you have to lose one immediately?
    It's a little bit like pulling off a plaster - got to be quick and painful. If I don't do it soon, I won't do it at all.

Wife keeps banging on about something called "the mortgage". Wish she'd just pipe down.

Perhaps: as the older you get, the more you'll wear the smaller watch?
    I was thinking the same. And how much have your tastes changed during your time on TZ? It may be that you'll enjoy wearing the 1016 occasionally now, and in 10 years time love it. Could be your daily wearer as you get older when a Hulk might just look daft. Would do on me by the time I'm an OAP I suspect.

But great albeit it tough position to be in!

Like others have said, the Explorer is the rarer watch and finding another 1974 model in that condition will prove both difficult and expensive. The Hulk is a known beast and it's price will probably remain fairly static over the next years and there are loads of them out there.

If you list that Explorer it will be gone in minutes, but the regret will last a lot longer.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It's a little bit like pulling off a plaster - got to be quick and painful. If I don't do it soon, I won't do it at all.

Wife keeps banging on about something called "the mortgage". Wish she'd just pipe down.
    Sell one of your other watches?

One is pure class, and timeless.

The other is vulgar, and will be out of fashion before the decade's out.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Sell one of your other watches?
    The 'weekend watch' box is bare. A knackered SuperOcean (first good watch), a Kobold Polar Surveyour (long-time grail), a Doxa 800T (amazing in Ti with tritium tubes). The only other watch I'd consider perhaps is the SS JLC Master Calendar but they are notoriously difficult to move on and I really, really like it - probably more than the LV!

Everything else is in the 'Inheritance' box.

Besides the LV was only ever a stepping stone to an LB. But that is a looooong way off...

What you like Lewis? I'd keep the green ,the other watch although nice (wife has a tudor ranger thats similar) for me its too small.But hey in the end its your decision .If I had the money I'd take it back no problem

Master
    The Explorer looks just the right size on you (if that is indeed your wrist shot). Love the explorer but it does look too small on a lot of people.

I voted to keep the Explorer. I don't like green and therefor have no appreciation for the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    What you like Lewis? I'd keep the green ,the other watch although nice (wife has a tudor ranger thats similar) for me its too small.But hey in the end its your decision .If I had the money I'd take it back no problem
    I know, I know :(

Hang on, if you keep the Hulk, when would you expect to wear the incoming 1655?

I couldn't live with that green watch, personally, so it's an easy choice for me Lewis :D

M.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    The Explorer looks just the right size on you (if that is indeed your wrist shot). Love the explorer but it does look too small on a lot of people.

Yeah that is me. The 1016 actually appears bigger than a modern 14270 - more dial, less bezel. Here's my old 1016 on the left next to my old 14270 - so it actually wears more like a 37-38mm watch.

Master
    LV for me!

Hang on, if you keep the Hulk, when would you expect to wear the incoming 1655?
    On any given day when I could be bothered to set a non-quickset date, put up with a rattling bracelet and there's no chance of getting submerged!

Just come back from boarding in Morzine; LV never left my wrist. Something would have to replace that; I may put the 1655 in for a pressure test and gasket change at a friendly indie. It's what it was designed for!

Edited to add: Friendly local indie is Superlativetime; what's in their for sale section... a 1974 1016, on a NATO for £8.5k! Ambitious or did I just buy very well from SC..?

http://www.superlativetime.com/produ...-ref-1016-1974