closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pluton 3100 Woes

Craftsman

Pluton 3100 Woes

My much loved Breitling Pluton 3100 has taken a tumble and hit my Minton floor. The glass cracked and chipped but she was still running well.
    2 months later and now the battery appears to have died, but after only being in 18 mths (the last one lasted nearly 3 years), I have a nagging feeling that all may not be well.
    I vaguely remember old posts on here about Breitling not servicing these anymore, so advice is needed please.
    Many thanks
    AB

Craftsman
    I used a Breitling Service Center twice last year for my Pluton - once to replace a pusher and then to replace the crystal after it slipped off my wrist (clasp stopped working). I can confirm Breitling will not "service" them anymore, however, my experience is that they will "repair" them. They were able to source a new pusher and then a replacement crystal, as well as fix the bracelet and all of the parts were OEM.

I did ask for a service at the same time as they replaced the crystal fearing the impact may have damaged the movement and they advised they are not able to. They did, however, monitor the watch as part of the repair to tell me if there was anything terminally wrong with the movement and gave it the all clear (no COSC obviously) so I think there is some sort of diagnostic procedure they can do.

The SC also said they will accept the Pluton as a trade-in and provide a generous discount on a new Breitling. I asked how generous and was told in the region of 25% off a new Aersopace since that was what I was eyeing out. I get the feeling they can be somewhat flexible on the discount though!

Quote Originally Posted by andyb190 View Post
    2 months later and now the battery appears to have died, but after only being in 18 mths (the last one lasted nearly 3 years), I have a nagging feeling that all may not be well.
    I have Navitimer Quartz ( pluton), owned it for 20 years and the battery life varies enormously depending on the quality of the battery, can be anything from 12 months to 3 years.

I bought my A51037 second-hand back in 1999 and it's still working fine, although I had also heard that Breitling could no longer "service" them (and that a "service" basically involved swapping out the movement).

I also remember asking about it on the tias watch e-mail list and the alt.horology Usenet newsgroup at the time, and being confidently told by a number of "experts" that Breitling had never made a quartz Navitimer and that it must be fake :-)

Craftsman
    Thanks guys. So I can contact the SC and they will repair?
    Is this best done directly and any idea of the cost please ?

It is (or via the Bond St boutique) and surely they themselves would be better placed than anyone on here to estimate the cost?

Breitling had mine for servicing 4 years ago and told me at the time they'd no longer be servicing the 3100 models.
    And they didn't charge me anything for that last service, which i thought was a very nice gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

I also remember asking about it on the tias watch e-mail list and the alt.horology Usenet newsgroup at the time, and being confidently told by a number of "experts" that Breitling had never made a quartz Navitimer and that it must be fake :-)

A picture of my Navitimer quartz for all those "experts" :D

Last edited by steptoe; 3rd February 2016 at 12:40.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys. So I can contact the SC and they will repair?
    I can't remember how much the pusher repair cost me but the crystal issue set me back just under £100 which included the AR coating.
    I approached the SC directly and they ordered all the parts from Breitling Switzerland.

Good luck getting yours fixed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It is (or via the Bond St boutique) and surely they themselves would be better placed than anyone on here to estimate the cost?
    A salient point, presented well :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    I can't remember how much the pusher repair cost me but the crystal issue set me back just under £100 which included the AR coating.
    I approached the SC directly and they ordered all the parts from Breitling Switzerland.

Good luck getting yours fixed.
    Thanks Rob. Will look tomorrow as I am buying a car today.

breitling new pluton

Hi,
    the breitling new pluton uses a japanese myota y652 movement (aka seiko h461) , they are a drop in movement.
    I would look out on ebay for these references (also found in pulsar watches) , they come with a silver or gold lcd background, check which one you need. My cousins Pluton died and breitling could/would not repair, I found a movement for 40 usd and had it replaced for 15 usd (iirc)
    Don't waist your time with Breitling on this one...
    Google these ref number to double check...

Craftsman
    Please keep us informed as to how it goes- Breitling serviced my Intruder a couple of years ago and as they don't have the parts any more they couldn't fix the alarm. Didn't charge me anything bar postage. Went through Mappin & Webb who were also great.

No connection to etc

I believe the movement is a Miyota Y652a also known as a Seiko H461 / H601 if that helps. I've been told that yes, it's definitely a Miyota and yes, it's definitely a Seiko movement.

Edit- appears I was beaten to the punch. That's what happens when you start a post during toddler bath time and don't finish it till later.

Craftsman
    Took it in to the local jewellers this am and have sent it off for a service. I figured that asking for just a repair would mean that they wouldn't "fail me" as a customer.
    Not being able to service my much loved Breitling may guilt them into offering some of the things mentioned above.
    Shy bairns get nowt....as they say ooop north :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    I believe the movement is a Miyota Y652a also known as a Seiko H461 / H601 if that helps. I've been told that yes, it's definitely a Miyota and yes, it's definitely a Seiko movement.
    The movement is a Seiko H461, it's not a H601 that's an altogether different Seiko analogue digital. It's also not a Miyota Y652, it's a Hattori Y652 (or the later Y653). You'll find Y652/3s marked Hattori, Pulsar, Epson and Morioka Tokei but never Miyota. While there was a Miyota movement named Y652 it was a conventional analogue quartz and bears no resemblence to the Seiko. The internet being what it is however (lots of quoting with little checking) the Miyota has become the most routinely cited movement, even on Breitlingsource.com.

What this means though is that even though it's incorrect if you're searching for a replacement movement online you do need to use Miyota in your search terms. The movements and complete watches (Seiko, Pulsar and Lorus) come up reasonably often on eBay and if you're fortunate auctions can still be won for less than £30 although you might not get the digital display colour you want (gold vs. grey).

Hope this helps.

Craftsman
    Strutjack- cheers fella, I'll keep an eye out

Apprentice
    Beware anything Breitling might tell you about the watch "not being repairable"

Theres a standard letter they appear to be using. I got mine sent back from Breitling in December with a letter telling me it "was not repairable".

Not specific given, just a generic letter, discount off an aerospace or £675 off anything else.

They didnt even open mine up, and certainly didnt try putting a new battery in there. Not unless they went to the trouble of filling the case back indents with crud again.

Its working find now with the battery I put in it myself.

Take it to an independent service place.

Weight any "generous" trade-in discount Brietling may offer, against how much you can get the replacement watch online.
    Last edited by duncmac; 7th February 2016 at 21:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by strutjack View Post
    The movement is a Seiko H461, it's not a H601 that's an altogether different Seiko analogue digital. It's also not a Miyota Y652, it's a Hattori Y652 (or the later Y653). You'll find Y652/3s marked Hattori, Pulsar, Epson and Morioka Tokei but never Miyota. While there was a Miyota movement named Y652 it was a conventional analogue quartz and bears no resemblence to the Seiko. The internet being what it is however (lots of quoting with little checking) the Miyota has become the most routinely cited movement, even on Breitlingsource.com.

What this means though is that even though it's incorrect if you're searching for a replacement movement online you do need to use Miyota in your search terms. The movements and complete watches (Seiko, Pulsar and Lorus) come up reasonably often on eBay and if you're fortunate auctions can still be won for less than £30 although you might not get the digital display colour you want (gold vs. grey).

Hope this helps.
    Very helpful thanks. I will be doing a search today as a fallback if the watch isn't sorted at Breitling. 👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by strutjack View Post

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by duncmac View Post
    Beware anything Breitling might tell you about the watch "not being repairable"

Theres a standard letter they appear to be using. I got mine sent back from Breitling in December with a letter telling me it "was not repairable".

Not specific given, just a generic letter, discount off an aerospace or £675 off anything else.

They didnt even open mine up, and certainly didnt try putting a new battery in there. Not unless they went to the trouble of filling the case back indents with crud again.

Its working find now with the battery I put in it myself.

Take it to an independent service place.

Weight any "generous" trade-in discount Brietling may offer, against how much you can get the replacement watch online.
    I will do that. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Still not heard anything back from Breigning yet. How long does the response normally take?
    Going through a store so not direct :-(

Craftsman
    Do you know when/if the store sent it to the service center?

If it's been with the SC for a week already then I think a phone call is in order.

My experience with 'older' Breitlings had been that the SC often had to get feedback from Switzerland, parts may not be locally available, etc.,

Craftsman
    Thanks Rob. I am not back in Bury St Edmunds 'til Monday, so I will wait until then.
    But it will be the first stop when I get there.

Craftsman
    Well, finally had a response and it is the expected off of an Aerospace replacement.
    Going to pop I and see the letter later but looks like I may be saying goodbye to the understated good looks of my pluton.
    Not a happy bunny if I am honest.

Craftsman
    So... it's an Aerospace (markers instead of numerals except at 12, 3, 6, and 9) for 1100 0r 1300 hundred quid. The cheaper on leather.
    Or do I negotiate a new watch down by 20% and sell the Pluton if I can get it fixed? Should be able to get a new one for around £2600 and net the pluton at 600 after new glass and battery (crosses fingers)
    Or just get it fixed and keep it?
    Advice please😐

So... it's an Aerospace (markers instead of numerals except at 12, 3, 6, and 9) for 1100 0r 1300 hundred quid. The cheaper on leather.
    Or do I negotiate a new watch down by 20% and sell the Pluton if I can get it fixed? Should be able to get a new one for around £2600 and net the pluton at 600 after new glass and battery (crosses fingers)
    Advice please
    I'd just bear in mind in your decision that the replacement Aerospace they offer (as well as not being the newer Evo) is clearly identifiable as a non-standard model, available only as a replacement for unserviceable watches. Ergo (one would assume, though never having seen one on the secondary market) it would fetch a commensurately reduced price were it to be resold at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by sepsonto View Post
    I'd just bear in mind in your decision that the replacement Aerospace they offer (as well as not being the newer Evo) is clearly identifiable as a non-standard model, available only as a replacement for unserviceable watches. Ergo (one would assume, though never having seen one on the secondary market) it would fetch a commensurately reduced price were it to be resold at a later date.
    Like this: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=aerospace

Blog Entries
    If it were mine I'd get it fixed and keep it. I know if it were me that is the only way I would feel satisfied.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Looks like he sold it for what he paid but he lost the value of the surrendered watch.
    Depending on how much a pluton is worth that seems like a big drop to me.
    How much is a glass damaged pluton worth ?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    If it were mine I'd get it fixed and keep it. I know if it were me that is the only way I would feel satisfied.
    Same here. In fact, one of the reasons I keep my Pluton is its repairability. Plenty of movements around, and a crystal replacement is also not too much of a problem (it's mineral). I've even considered putting an acrylic crystal in. Before this one I wore the original Pluton with the Swiss movement (bought new in the 80s, I still have it in my drawer), that one is a real pain! The LCD started misbehaving, and I could find no replacement movements.

Craftsman
    Well, I tried the new Evo on and it looks so very small. The numerals just look silly compared to my 8.5 inch wrist. Somehow the pluton carries off a similar size without issue.
    So, I am looking for a new glass and an independent to service her.

Well, I tried the new Evo on and it looks so very small. The numerals just look silly compared to my 8.5 inch wrist. Somehow the pluton carries off a similar size without issue.
    So, I am looking for a new glass and an independent to service her.
    I had mine cleaned and battery changed today, my watchmaker commented on how bullet-proof that watch is. All for seven Euro! I also feel a lot better with it than with an Aerospace, and I don't like the fiddling with the crown. And my Pluton has a backlight...

I have the black-dial version of Steptoe's, btw.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BernardF View Post
    I had mine cleaned and battery changed today, my watchmaker commented on how bullet-proof that watch is. All for seven Euro! I also feel a lot better with it than with an Aerospace, and I don't like the fiddling with the crown. And my Pluton has a backlight...

I have the black-dial version of Steptoe's, btw.
    Thanks for that. I am pleased you have a good local watch maker who is "happy" to work on yours.
    Makes you wonder about Bretiling's reasons for not extending the life of such a bulletproof and handsome timepiece. 😕

Thanks for that. I am pleased you have a good local watch maker who is "happy" to work on yours.
    Makes you wonder about Bretiling's reasons for not extending the life of such a bulletproof and handsome timepiece. 
    The Pluton and Jupiter are a bit of an embarassment for Breitling. They have Japanese movements. It probably reminds them that their own first ana-digi (anal digit?) which they co-developed with Heuer was a bit of a lemon.

There is a guy in the US who specialises in refurbishing them (new modules, gaskets, DLC redone, sapphire crystals, etc). But it costs something like 1000 $....
    http://www.bestfixwatch.com/Chronosport_UDT_Service.php

I see they do the Old Pluton as well. Maybe I should have that one seen to.

Journeyman

Navitimer 3100/Pluton

Nice thing about these watches that use the Miyota Y652 is even though they aren't supported by Breitling any longer the movement was used in a variety of other watches like Seiko, Pulsar, Chronosport, etc, so very easy to find donor movements when the need arises. I even found a stash of 30 nos movements at a parts supply house once and bought them all for $11 each. I think I still have a few floating around somewhere. In any case, I'm no watchmaker but it usually takes me 20 minutes to swap a bad movement with a good movement on my kitchen table. These are really good movements and easily last years without problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul View Post
    Nice thing about these watches that use the Miyota Y652
    I think it's worth remembering, as per strutjack's message above, it's not a Miyota movement but a Seiko movement.

Craftsman
    I am hoping I don't need a new movement. So I don't suppose you have any glass for one of these do you ?
    I am just going to get it back from Breitling and go from there. 👍