closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

I've been a Secrid user for a couple of years, I have one of their wallets for day to day and a separate card protector if I'm going out and only need a card or two with me. The wallet and card mechanism get a lot of use and show very little signs of wear, I simply wouldn't bother looking an alternative should I ever need to replace them. One of the most practical things I think I've ever bought.

Master
    Well mine arrived today and it looks just the ticket!

Thanks OP!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Well mine arrived today and it looks just the ticket!

Thanks OP!
    Same here!

Using the free 2nd class 5-7 day shipping service. Am impressed :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Same here!

Using the free 2nd class 5-7 day shipping service. Am impressed :)
    snap! (cheapskates, the pair of us!)

snap! (cheapskates, the pair of us!)
    Ha! No point paying for the premium delivery :)

Master
    i use one of these:

quality is excellent and there cant be many slimmer options. mind you, i only carry 3 cards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've been a Secrid user for a couple of years, I have one of their wallets for day to day and a separate card protector if I'm going out and only need a card or two with me. The wallet and card mechanism get a lot of use and show very little signs of wear, I simply wouldn't bother looking an alternative should I ever need to replace them. One of the most practical things I think I've ever bought.
    Ditto. Mine has picked up a few marks and scrapes over the years but it still functions as well as the day I purchased it.

Bought a Secrid years ago when they came out. I liked it so much, I bought another one the following week just in case the company disappeared.
    It's still in the drawer as the first one is still going strong.

Master

Want to slim down your wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    i use one of these:

quality is excellent and there cant be many slimmer options. mind you, i only carry 3 cards.
    Couldn't agree more

I do carry 5 cards tho..

My concern with the Secrid slim wallet would be how long the white sticky pad will hold it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    My concern with the Secrid slim wallet would be how long the white sticky pad will hold it all together.

Indications from the posts above are good that they should last pretty well.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Not sure what white sticky pad you mean (I bought the grey one I linked in my post on page 1) and it seems really solid.

I dont beat my wallets up, so I expect it will last me years, but even with rough use I imagine it'll hold up.

Master
    I've been inspired by this thread to have a wallet clear out. I'm still using the same fairly normal wallet, but by ditch all the cards I never (or very rarely) use I must have lopped a good inch off the width

Not sure what white sticky pad you mean (I bought the grey one I linked in my post on page 1) and it seems really solid.

I dont beat my wallets up, so I expect it will last me years, but even with rough use I imagine it'll hold up.
    The wallet itself is joined to the cardholder via a sticky pad. I have one and i like it, but i have a disposition to practical items like a wallet that need to be glued or stuck together to function.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    The wallet itself is joined to the cardholder via a sticky pad. I have one and i like it, but i have a disposition to practical items like a wallet that need to be glued or stuck together to function.
    Ahh that's understandable. I hadnt taken notice of how the plastic money/receipt holder is bonded to the metal case, but it certainly seems very well stuck. I'll have a good root later and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Just seen that these guys actually reported on *another* Kickstarter I backed a couple of years ago - the Acre Supply Flip Wallet (my current slimline).

They've even created a homage to the Secrid wallet!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Secrid-wal...sAAOSwFqJWqLqv

Master
    The Secrid slim wallet wears really well as I have had one for quite a while now and it is superb but from this thread I just bought that funky little Trove wallet and it arrived today and I must say it is fantastic quality and mine is the blue and orange one and is even smaller that the Secrid so I will use both wallets as the Trove is perfect if you need something really small and it is really small

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I just bought one of these now.
    And now sold out :(

I was after a smaller wallet and joined the kickstarter "Wingback"

Lovely, personalised but small leather wallet. Once you make the effort not to carry all your crap cards all the time its amazing how few you need to carry all the time.

Highly recommended

http://wingback.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I am going to get one of the Securid wallets. Does anyone know what makes up the thickness of the Miniwallet vs the Slimeallet? Is it just the popper? Or is there something on the inside?
    Just the popper, I have both because I wasn't sure.
    Now,would choose the one with the popper every time.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Agreed I would never want coins in a wallet!
    People asking about coins in a wallet purse remind me of this style:

+1 for the I-clip wallet. At first it looks a pretty flimsy bit of plastic with a leather cover but it's actually really good for storing cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Just the popper, I have both because I wasn't sure.
    Now,would choose the one with the popper every time.
    Hi Zimmer,

Why is that? Trying to figure out which one to get myself.....

Cheers

Mark

If you want a slim wallet I can recommend wives and daughters. The more you have the slimmer your wallet gets!

Master
    The Wingback looks good, but so does the Loft of Cambie one.

For those that have used either - any feedback or thoughts on how they are in day-to-day use?

Probably looking at holding 5 cards and maybe a bit of cash (no coins, they go in my pocket). 1 card for most frequent use (out of the 5).

The securid looks good, but don't fancy a mechanism and like wallets to soften up over time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeeves1275 View Post
    Hi Zimmer,

Why is that? Trying to figure out which one to get myself.....

Cheers

Mark
    I find without the popper, other crap in my pocket, gets into it, and also re. bank notes I feel happier with the wallet closed.
    I ended up getting an elastic band, for my non popper version.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    I find without the popper, other crap in my pocket, gets into it, and also re. bank notes I feel happier with the wallet closed.
    I ended up getting an elastic band, for my non popper version.
    Thanks a lot, guess it will keep it more compact too....

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    The Wingback looks good, but so does the Loft of Cambie one.

For those that have used either - any feedback or thoughts on how they are in day-to-day use?

Probably looking at holding 5 cards and maybe a bit of cash (no coins, they go in my pocket). 1 card for most frequent use (out of the 5).

The securid looks good, but don't fancy a mechanism and like wallets to soften up over time.

Thanks
    I have the Loft of Cambie, it's superb and nicely thought out. Build quality is excellent too, with little details like the lining material matching the accent material. The pull tab for quick access to your cards works well, and you can fit a fair few notes in that slot on the front or in one of the other card slots. It's practically unnoticable in the pocket.

Here it is next to the Secrid...

Just took delivery of a Secrid min-wallet in 'vintage brown'...

...and I am very happy with it! :)

The Loft of Cambie one looks like the winner out of all these minimalist wallets, was about to order a Secrid but gone for a LoC now, thanks for the heads up.

I thought that too, but having looked at a Youtube video of the LoC, it's more an elasticated pouch than true wallet. Definitely minimalist though! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    The Loft of Cambie one looks like the winner out of all these minimalist wallets, was about to order a Secrid but gone for a LoC now, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I thought that too, but having looked at a Youtube video of the LoC, it's more an elasticated pouch than true wallet. Definitely minimalist though! :)
    I wouldn't say it's elasticated, they've just used a tough fabric rather than all leather. It is definitely affordable at £20 ish and works extremely well. I've used leather card sleeves before and never got on with them, however this works a treat. The pull tab and the cash slot being lower make all the difference.

It's also tiny! The Secrid is small but this takes the biscuit.

Craftsman
    This is the slimmest wallet you'll find - if you prefer classic leather this is not for you, but otherwise they are fantastic: http://www.slimfoldwallet.com/collections/soft-shell

Master
    Thanks to this thread I've ordered one of the Loft of Cambie ones - brown/charcoal. Even paid the extra £1 for first class delivery (but then there was a 10% code to start with). Really looking forward to getting it...

Cheers all

I like the logo of LoC...is there a UK distributor or did you all order from the US?

Master
    http://www.slimwalletjunkie.com are in the UK.

Just ordered a Trove for when the Secrid is just too big! Will post a quick review when it arrives.

Craftsman
    I've backed the Micro wallet on KickStarter that was posted earlier. Just licked the look and design of it. Will let you know how I get on with it when it arrives.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I like the logo of LoC...is there a UK distributor or did you all order from the US?
    Slimwalletjunkie is where I bought from. Code GOONTHEN gives 10% off as well. Just to make it a little sweeter.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Slimwalletjunkie is where I bought from. Code GOONTHEN gives 10% off as well. Just to make it a little sweeter.

Cheers
    Cheers for the code.

Just ordered a Trove too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    http://www.slimwalletjunkie.com are in the UK.

Just ordered a Trove for when the Secrid is just too big! Will post a quick review when it arrives.
    I have a Secrid and recently got a Trove due to this thread and as much as I love the Secrid I actually prefer the Trove it is superb and honestly you do not know you have it in your pocket whereas the Secrid you do due to the Aluminium card holder so for me the Trove is now my first choice :) but the Secrid is a fab wallet.

Master
    That's good to know. I do seem to have a stack of cards so I'm thinking of the Secrid for everyday still and the Trove for holidays, nights out etc. Maybe I just need to trim my card collection. I'd like to get my phone and wallet in the same pocket if possible.

Master
    That's good to know. I do seem to have a stack of cards so I'm thinking of the Secrid for everyday still and the Trove for holidays, nights out etc. Maybe I just need to trim my card collection. I'd like to get my phone and wallet in the same pocket if possible.
    Benny if you get the Trove you will easily be able to get that and your phone in the same pocket, that Trove is just superb and I thinned out my cards and I bought the funky orange and blue version and it looks fab :)

Master
    Cool. Went for the orange and blue too

Master
    Cool. Went for the orange and blue too
    Let me know what you think but it is very cool in that colour

Craftsman
    These look pretty nifty...Good reviews too. Anyone got one?

https://www.ridgewallet.com/collecti...p-all-products

Thin the cards right out and use the KeyRing app (or similar) as mentioned above to carry copies of all membership, discount cards on your phone.

My Trove arrived the other day. It's great, much smaller than the Secrid. I'm not keen on having to fold all my notes up initially, but I guess that's just because I'm not used to doing so.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Want to slim down your wallet?

So for those with wallets slimmer than the Secrid, do their slim profiles do any damage to the cards?

It seems like you would need to pack the cards pretty closely and tightly together in order to achieve such a small profile but I'm wondering if that doesn't cause some sort of abrasion on things like the card chips or magnetic strips.

I've used slim wallets for a couple of years with no adverse effect on the cards other than the numbers rubbing out a bit.

I've been looking for a new wallet for a while and on the strength of this thread have ordered a Secrid Slimwallett. I know it won't suit for carrying multiple currencies for overseas travel but for everyday UK use it should do nicely.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    I've used slim wallets for a couple of years with no adverse effect on the cards other than the numbers rubbing out a bit.
    Thanks! To be fair the same thing happens to my cards with 'regular' wallets so good to know,
    Might buy myself one of the Troves.
    Last edited by Rob777; 18th February 2016 at 19:09. Reason: 1 x typo