closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

If there was a way to get a refund from a Kickstarter I would even though I only paid £20 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    If there was a way to get a refund from a Kickstarter I would even though I only paid £20 for it.
    I hear you mate, feeling more like that since you mentioned the bend. I would say the quality is up to scratch, simply not at all well designed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    I carry between 50 and 100 in cash just in case but do 99% of transactions by card these days. The missus carries rakes of cash about and does my head in.
    I normally carry £100-200 in cash and 5 cards including drivers licence. Still can't find a smaller and simpler to use wallet than the I-Clip and I keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I have a Trove wallet but I didn't fancy the new cash wrap and I am glad I didn't get one but for me the Trove with the pull out card holder is just the best small wallet and I don't see how it can be bettered it is so tiny in your pocket I love it :)
    Seconded.

I use mine all the time except on holiday, when I tend to carry just a bit more cash & then I use my Secrid Slimwallet
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Seconded.

I use mine all the time except on holiday, when I tend to carry just a bit more cash & then I use my Secrid Slimwallet
    I'm actually not convinced the Trove cash wallet would be that great with holding more than a few notes to be honest.

Anyway I'm back to the Swift, will maybe keep it and see if a friend wants it. The big issue is the bend it applies on the quick access card.

Apprentice
    A question for those of you with both the original Trove and Trove Swift... Is the Swift's pull out tab a 'must have' feature? Or, rather, does it detract from the simplicity of the original?

Quote Originally Posted by DC11 View Post
    A question for those of you with both the original Trove and Trove Swift... Is the Swift's pull out tab a 'must have' feature? Or, rather, does it detract from the simplicity of the original?
    I’ve two of each but cut the tab off the swifts, they just got in the way.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I’ve two of each but cut the tab off the swifts, they just got in the way.
    I did exactly the same thing, all the tab did was annoy me

Master
    I have both and prefer the Swift; the tab is useful and I don't find it obtrusive.

As you'll see from the responses above mine, it's a case of try it and see.

I have both and feel the tab is a must have. One for convenience and two I thought there was more wear on the sides of the cards when pulling them out without the tab.

I've never noticed it getting in the way at all. Agree with the rest for a try and see.

If you have a regular Trove & are happy with it, I'd not bother to upgrade, but the tab is a good feature & does not get in the way IMHO
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    still got my original Trove which I always have on me and has stood the test of time

Got a Carbon cash wrap waiting for me at my parents house, as I went halves with my old man on the kickstarter for 2
    intrigued to see how it fares

Apprentice
    Thank you all for the feedback. I've decided to go for the Swift (with the knowledge I can cut the tab if I don't get on with it).

Blog Entries
    Still not received my kickstarter stuff yet :-(

I gave my old trove to my brother in law and miss it!

My Cash Wrap has just sat on the side doing nothing for the last week.

Anyone got a Wagner Superslim?

My machine era is on its last legs and I was looking for a replacement and that seems pretty good for my needs....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    If you have a regular Trove & are happy with it, I'd not bother to upgrade, but the tab is a good feature & does not get in the way IMHO

Totally agree

Well with such eminent members recommending the Trove Wallet, I have treated myself to an original model, in the cinnamon colours.

I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Until I started reading this thread last Friday I had no intention of ditching my ‘fat wallet’ and buying a slim wallet, now it’s Monday and I have a Secrid Mini in Vintage Brown from SWJ sat in my front pocket, I must stop reading this forum!

First impressions, it’s seems very expensive for what it is although quality looks good. The look of the antique leather looks a little ‘contrived’ if that makes any sense. I like the smooth operation of the slider and it will hold enough cards for what I need as I have Apple Pay, Stocard and Curve. Not sure of the fold out bit for money it looks a little fragile and certainly won’t hold a lot of notes.

I’m going to give it a good try and see how I get on.

Blog Entries
    I’ve been using my Trove Cash Wrap for a week now and I think it’s great…. Perfect design for me

Well pleased 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I’ve been using my Trove Cash Wrap for a week now and I think it’s great…. Perfect design for me

Well pleased 😀

How do you have it setup? Have you been able to use it without your cards bending?

Master
    I like the cash wrap too. I’ll use my regular Trove day to day but use the cash wrap for holidays and weekends away when I’m more likely to use cash.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My Cash Wrap has just sat on the side doing nothing for the last week.
    If you decided to move it on I’d be interested as I was considering one for a holiday wallet.

How do you have it setup? Have you been able to use it without your cards bending?
    I’d be interested too. As coincidence I’ve gone back to trying it and accepting the bend will likely not have much of an impact. Not ideal but I’ve been needing to carry damn coins and for that it’s useful.

Im trialing if having 2 cards on the pull out makes a difference.

Blog Entries
    There is a bit of a bend, but, nothing too dramatic…

I have the tabbed one on the outside and another 3/4 cards tr other side… cash and a few coins in there bit…

I have the Vegan wallet so maybe materially it’s a little stiffer?

I think it’s close to a perfect design…. It would be better if you could balance a few cards on the inside too though

Blog Entries
    Still following this thread for ideas, still can't find a smaller or better system than the I-Clip.

Craftsman
    I got the double bundle of Swift (orange) + Cash Wrap (emerald). I have combined them.

There is bend from the tension of the swift and the middle leather bit. If the cards are in the central bit, they are straight.

Wallet contains, notes, stamps, photos and 4 cards

I like the pull tab and it works well for easier access to favourite cards.

Quality seems good. I have a frayed stitch end which I'll monitor and snip if no deterioration.

This is much slimmer than my previous wallet.

Blog Entries
    That combo looks promising, how easy is it to get at the cards?

Some pics taken earlier of the I-Clip with 5 cards including drivers licence and £140 in cash, normally varies between £20 and £200. Lottery card for scale.

Last edited by oldoakknives; 23rd February 2020 at 19:03.

Here is my trove cash and the ‘bend’ -

What do people think? I got 2 in the quick pull - however I’ve noticed the tab is a bit longer and a bit floppy. Not annoyed me. Yet.

I’m going to persevere and try and ‘break it in’. Or give up and maybe keep as a holiday wallet where notes are needed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That combo looks promising, how easy is it to get at the cards?
    Very easy with the swift tab. Pics below show it in and out. 2 cards in the tab slot works well as you can access both (front or back). The less used cards can be put in the other slots.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

What do people think? I got 2 in the quick pull - however I’ve noticed the tab is a bit longer and a bit floppy. Not annoyed me. Yet.
    That tab looks wrong. See my pic above where it sits snug.

I don't mind the bend and it is down to the tension of the elastic holding them securely.

I’m going to persevere and try and ‘break it in’. Or give up and maybe keep as a holiday wallet where notes are needed.
    That's the bend that I'm seeing too. I don't find that acceptable, especially when a fully loaded Cash Wrap is the same thickness as a Secrid Miniwallet.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    That tab looks wrong. See my pic above where it sits snug.

I don't mind the bend and it is down to the tension of the elastic holding them securely.
    Playing around, I get a snug fit only if I really push them in. Which was not an issue with the swift where as long as the cards were flush with the wallet the tab was fine.

That's the bend that I'm seeing too. I don't find that acceptable, especially when a fully loaded Cash Wrap is the same thickness as a Secrid Miniwallet.
    I think if you need cash, the secrid may be the best bet. As I said I’ll persevere. I have tried various combos with the cash strap, original trove and the swift and it all ends too thick for me.

edit - figured out why there is a flop - it’s because on the swift when you slide a card in, the back is hard so the swift design is within a tolerance to ensure no flop.

There is no back on the cash wrap, it’s all on the same band as the tab and so you have to push it really in to get a snug fit. Design flaw?
    Last edited by crazyp; 18th December 2018 at 21:21.

I’ll post a pic of mine tomorrow showing what I would want to carry in it.

Craftsman
    Playing around, I get a snug fit only if I really push them in. Which was not an issue with the swift where as long as the cards were flush with the wallet the tab was fine.

I think if you need cash, the secrid may be the best bet. As I said I’ll persevere. I have tried various combos with the cash strap, original trove and the swift and it all ends too thick for me.

edit - figured out why there is a flop - it’s because on the swift when you slide a card in, the back is hard so the swift design is within a tolerance to ensure no flop.

There is no back on the cash wrap, it’s all on the same band as the tab and so you have to push it really in to get a snug fit. Design flaw?
    I took the swift off and tried the cash wrap on its own. No bend on mine. The tab has a bit more of an overhang than when using the Cash Wrap and Swift combo. Cards pushed in all the way.

I’ve looked at how the Cash Wrap bends cards and think I’ve worked out a way to get it to work for me. I have 6 cards in the wallet, 4 embossed and 2 flat. The tabbed section has 1 embossed and 1 flat card in it. The other section has 2 flat and 2 embossed cards. There is no more bend in this than in a standard Trove. The wallet shown has no cash in it but I don’t expect that to make much difference to the bend.

There is a trick I’ve found to not having the cards bend. The cards that aren’t lifted by the quick pull tab must be between the tab and the leather. They are not between the leather and the elastic. Hopefully this photo explains this. I believe the black tape behind the Trove patch is what is causing the wallet to bend when cards are put between the leather tab and the inside elastic.

I’ve looked at how the Cash Wrap bends cards and think I’ve worked out a way to get it to work for me. I have 6 cards in the wallet, 4 embossed and 2 flat. The tabbed section has 1 embossed and 1 flat card in it. The other section has 2 flat and 2 embossed cards. There is no more bend in this than in a standard Trove. The wallet shown has no cash in it but I don’t expect that to make much difference to the bend.

There is a trick I’ve found to not having the cards bend. The cards that aren’t lifted by the quick pull tab must be between the tab and the leather. They are not between the leather and the elastic. Hopefully this photo explains this. I believe the black tape behind the Trove patch is what is causing the wallet to bend when cards are put between the leather tab and the inside elastic.
    Thanks Phil - I actually changed to this setup this morning - purely by chance when messing around with the wallet. However there is a massive disadvantage I've discovered - when you take the quick tab card out, getting it back in is really hard and the card tends to slide in the gap. I usually have 2 cards in the tab part so most of the time not an issue, but when it is an issue its a pain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Very easy with the swift tab. Pics below show it in and out. 2 cards in the tab slot works well as you can access both (front or back). The less used cards can be put in the other slots.
    Oh ok just looked a bit fiddly.

Took this of the I-clip earlier to try and show how it works.

Last edited by oldoakknives; 19th December 2018 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Took this of the I-clip earlier to try and show how it works.

That's really helpful, thanks for posting!

Master
    I do quite like that iclip

Master
    I have been using an eBay version of the Secrid mechanism (may even be from the same factory they use) for over 12 months with perfect reliablilty. It cost something like £2.75 including postage from China. It also offers RFID protection as standard - something that some of these other solutions lack. As a friend of mine had his rarely-used card apparently cloned at a European airport, RFID protection is an essential in this 21st Century techworld.

I also see that many people are carrying significant amounts in bank notes - how quaint! Are they still accepted as currency? LOL.

The most useful gadget for modern living would seem to be an RFID card holder stuck to the back of a smartphone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I have been using an eBay version of the Secrid mechanism (may even be from the same factory they use) for over 12 months with perfect reliablilty. It cost something like £2.75 including postage from China. It also offers RFID protection as standard - something that some of these other solutions lack. As a friend of mine had his rarely-used card apparently cloned at a European airport, RFID protection is an essential in this 21st Century techworld.

I also see that many people are carrying significant amounts in bank notes - how quaint! Are they still accepted as currency? LOL.

The most useful gadget for modern living would seem to be an RFID card holder stuck to the back of a smartphone.
    Do you know of any documented cases of RFID theft?

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Yes - not least for those who care about their privacy and who don't want to leave a complete electronic footprint (cost, item, location, time, etc) for every transaction they undertake!

A somewhat ironic comment from somebody who appears to be worried about the infinitesimally small risk of RFID harvesting.

I’ve had a belroy pocket wallet for years but got a hole in it recently. I bought a new version in September and didn’t like it so sent it back but following the hole I’ve ordered again. Must be honest I really don’t like the new ones. The config of the card holder has changed and the leather is stiff.

Thing is I need something small and zipped as I keep my car key in it (I use a small service key instead of standard) and it fitted great in my original.

I like the trove but don’t think the key would fit?

"
    Fan out your cards with a simple flick. With 3 sizes, the razor-thin Fantom Wallet will hold your cards, coins, keys, cash and more.
    "

https://fantomwallet.com/features/

Likely next purchase, when the time comes:

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/w.../victor-wallet

It's extremely difficult to avoid being attracted by the bags they make. Very high quality... and priced accordingly, sadly.

I rather fancy one of these from Tom Bihn:

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...13762283372607

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    "
    Fan out your cards with a simple flick. With 3 sizes, the razor-thin Fantom Wallet will hold your cards, coins, keys, cash and more.
    "

https://fantomwallet.com/features/
    Looks a bit hard and sharp edged. Be interested to hear from anyone who uses one.

Blog Entries

It's extremely difficult to avoid being attracted by the bags they make. Very high quality... and priced accordingly, sadly.
    Looks quite big for front pocket carry, be interested what you think if you get one.

Master

Looks very nice but that is way too big for me after using a Trove