closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Well I had 2 Loft of Cambie WOLYTs. Stupidly sold one on here and gave the other to my wife. She refuses to give it back!
    They don’t make them anymore…. anyone have one they aren’t using?

Also, for those that have the Bellroy card pocket, how are you finding it now that you’ve had it and used it for a while??

Cheers

Here's my Card Pocket in caramel, after 14 months of use. The photos were taken in a typically dull, overcast grey August day and so do not capture the slight glossy sheen / patina you get from the leather. I don't use it every day, as I have rotation :) but it's always out as I use it to store cards I do not carry.

I have another (yes another) new wallet, this one a card holder from Herschel. They’re more of a fashion brand than I’m used to, so that’s why I went for a Waltish card holder in OD green, the call it “ivy green.” Regardless, it’s high-speed, low drag, if you know what I mean.

This offers a very slim profile and good minimal capacity. As you can see from the photos, there are two card slots on the front above the logo, two on the rear and a large slot at the top. There’s RFID blocking built in to the liner, which is Herschel’s signature red and white striped liner. The material is a dense canvas material. The stitching is by machine and looks okay, there is some reinforcement in evidence.

I had to fettle mine on receipt. First the logo label, which is not stitched but glue to the wallet was peeling off at the edges. A Pritt stick helped there. Second, inside the large top slot were three white nylon labels showing brand, care details and that it was made in Vietnam. These were large, in the way and so with a scalpel and a metal ruler as backing, I excised them. Both minor annoyances but which did annoy.

For capacity, the side pockets could take maybe two cards each, although that would bulk it out and make card extraction difficult. I stick with one in each for a total of four cards, plus two in the top slot and some notes folded in half.

I find this one a little difficult to use. The top two cards on each side are very easy to extract, as you can bend back the edge of the top slot. With the bottom two slots, you have to dig your fingers in behind the card and apply pressure against the card in the upper to find enough room to grab the bottom card. Accessing the top slot with the side slots filled means you either have to dig your fingers into a narrow gap or squeeze the edges of the wallet to open the mouth of the slot. It’s alright but I have easier access on many other wallets.

Some of their leather versions, have only one side slot on the front side with a thumb access point, that would definitely assist on the canvas versions.

To conclude, it looks nice, feels good in the hand, is very slim, the cards are secure in their slots, there are plenty of colour choices but access could be better. For £20 I’ll live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    And the madness continues. :) A new wallet day, is always a good day.

I've finally got my hands on the Lost Dutchman's "The Finnigan" wallet, which is handmade by a 21 year old leatherworker called Nate, over in Arizona. He designs, stitches and finishes all of his wallets by hand and they're very good quality. The leather is Wickett & Craig's russet which is a glazed harness leather. It should last an age and of course get better with age.

For such a small card holder / wallet, you can see it next to a £1 coin, it has superb capacity. I've got 6 cards, a Tile card tracker and four notes folded in thirds and it's still easy to open, close the flap and there's room for more.

I'm delighted with it. Check out his site and other great leather goods.

Hi - how has this held up over time?

I came into this thread to post about the same guy, for who I've started to see 'sponsored adverts' for lately:

https://www.lostdutchmanleather.com/collections/all

The 'Jackson' , 'Mini Franklin' and the 'Thin Finn' particularly appeal!
    Last edited by cman; 27th August 2022 at 19:54.

Craftsman

Want to slim down your wallet?

I bought a Gomatic after reading post 742. I’ve been using it a few weeks and I’m impressed so far. I like not having a bulky wallet and this is definitely the most minimalist I have. The elastic grips the cards firmly. I keep 5 cards in it and find it easy to slide out the card I need. I like the fact that it’s not RFID as I keep my security pass inside it and the sensors can still read it without taking it out the wallet. Quality seems good so far. Haven’t included pictures as dkwp has done a good job with the pics in his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Hi - how has this held up over time?

I came into this thread to post about the same guy, for who I've started to see 'sponsored adverts' for lately:

https://www.lostdutchmanleather.com/collections/all

The 'Jackson' , 'Mini Franklin' and the 'Thin Finn' particularly appeal!

Thanks for the question.

Sadly there was an issue with this wallet, specifically its leather. One day, I noticed there was what appeared to be a thin, white coating, of what looked like mould, covering most of the wallet's exterior surface. The wallet had just been sitting in my wallet drawer, in it's canvas bag. None of my other wallets have ever displayed anything similar. So I (dry) wiped it down and the "mould" came off very easily.

I placed the wallet into a fresh canvas bag and checked it a month later. The "mould" had returned, and this time there was a mild but off odour. Not wanting it to affect any of my other wallets I threw it out. I debated contacting Nate, the maker about this and possibly sending it back to him, but in the end I didn't - I think this was during the pandemic. I can only assume that there must have been something awry in the tanning of that batch of leather, as since then, nothing else has gone off and I've not heard of problems with his goods.

Nate has excellent customer service and if I had contacted him, I'm sure he would have helped me out. I should have.

In use the wallet was very nice to use. I could easily get 8 cards and some folded noted in there. The capacity is excellent for such a small wallet and the flap was easy to use. I would definitely recommend his work, which is all handmade and very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I bought a Gomatic after reading post 742. I’ve been using it a few weeks and I’m impressed so far. I like not having a bulky wallet and this is definitely the most minimalist I have. The elastic grips the cards firmly. I keep 5 cards in it and find it easy to slide out the card I need. I like the fact that it’s not RFID as I keep my security pass inside it and the sensors can still read it without taking it out the wallet. Quality seems good so far. Haven’t included pictures as dkwp has done a good job with the pics in his post.
    Thank you Bobby. I have been using mine this week. It's like watches, which one do I pick today. LOL!

I was (dangerously) looking at some wallet vids, and found something very similar to the Gomatic, the Jaimie Jacobs "Nano Boy." It's a bit of a naff name but the concept is the same, and possibly with neater execution. It comes in two versions, one just like the Gomatic and another to which they have attached a purse for coins or keys.

The one with the added purse. That's taking it a bit far in my view.

Thanks for the question.

Sadly there was an issue with this wallet, specifically its leather. One day, I noticed there was what appeared to be a thin, white coating, of what looked like mould, covering most of the wallet's exterior surface. The wallet had just been sitting in my wallet drawer, in it's canvas bag. None of my other wallets have ever displayed anything similar. So I (dry) wiped it down and the "mould" came off very easily.

I placed the wallet into a fresh canvas bag and checked it a month later. The "mould" had returned, and this time there was a mild but off odour. Not wanting it to affect any of my other wallets I threw it out. I debated contacting Nate, the maker about this and possibly sending it back to him, but in the end I didn't - I think this was during the pandemic. I can only assume that there must have been something awry in the tanning of that batch of leather, as since then, nothing else has gone off and I've not heard of problems with his goods.

Nate has excellent customer service and if I had contacted him, I'm sure he would have helped me out. I should have.

In use the wallet was very nice to use. I could easily get 8 cards and some folded noted in there. The capacity is excellent for such a small wallet and the flap was easy to use. I would definitely recommend his work, which is all handmade and very reasonably priced.
    That's really helpful, thank you for taking the time! It's quite telling that despite the 'mould' issue, you have continued to purchase/use other products from him. Definitely on the short list...

Master
    I have another (yes another) new wallet, this one a card holder from Herschel. They’re more of a fashion brand than I’m used to, so that’s why I went for a Waltish card holder in OD green, the call it “ivy green.” Regardless, it’s high-speed, low drag, if you know what I mean.

This offers a very slim profile and good minimal capacity. As you can see from the photos, there are two card slots on the front above the logo, two on the rear and a large slot at the top. There’s RFID blocking built in to the liner, which is Herschel’s signature red and white striped liner. The material is a dense canvas material. The stitching is by machine and looks okay, there is some reinforcement in evidence.

I had to fettle mine on receipt. First the logo label, which is not stitched but glue to the wallet was peeling off at the edges.
    I have been using one of these since May 21 and it's been really very good with no wear at all.

Interesting that you say the label on yours is stuck on, mine is stitched on, is the above picture yours, if so I can see stitching!

One day, I noticed there was what appeared to be a thin, white coating, of what looked like mould, covering most of the wallet's exterior surface.
    The white stuff is probably leather bloom, rather than mould. It is just the wax with which the leather has been treated coming to the surface during the time it has been stored. It just needs wiping with a dry cloth. Bloom is a sign of good quality leather which has been well treated and nourished.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    The white stuff is probably leather bloom, rather than mould. It is just the wax with which the leather has been treated coming to the surface during the time it has been stored. It just needs wiping with a dry cloth. Bloom is a sign of good quality leather which has been well treated and nourished.
    Thank you and sadly too late for the wallet! :( I really should have contacted the maker. At least I have other wallets to use...
    Last edited by dkpw; 29th August 2022 at 10:16.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I have been using one of these since May 21 and it's been really very good with no wear at all.

Interesting that you say the label on yours is stuck on, mine is stitched on, is the above picture yours, if so I can see stitching!
    The edges of the label were lifting up, so I applied a little bit of glue from the pritt stick.

I have another new wallet in my collection which may be of interest. While it’s not minimal, it has the neatest, most discrete method of containing and concealing an Apple AirTag I’ve yet seen. It’s appropriately called the “Worry Wallet” by Craft & Lore who some leather and bronze obsessed hipsters based in North Idaho. They may be quite hirsute but they produce excellent wallets and other items from high quality leathers, with their own semi-rugged style. I already use a couple of their wallets and they are very good.

The whole point of the wallet is to prevent worry by carrying an AirTag tracker. I’ve used Tile trackers with my keys and wallet for the last couple of years. They are very good but you have to pay a subscription fee to add full tracking and location history. Since buying my iPhone I’ve been impressed with the FindMe app which offers that level of tracking, gratis. I tried an AirTag on my keys when my Tile started playing up. It was impressive, so I decided to move over to AirTags going forward.

However Tile have one huge advantage over Apple, especially tracking wallets. They produce the Tile Slim, which is credit card sized, two cards thick and slides easily into most wallets. The AirTag’s puck shape necessitates a holder for key-rings and is not a convenient fit in many wallets. Hence the burgeoning market for AirTag compatible wallets. Some of the attempted solutions are eye-wateringly unattractive.

Most as you can see, place the AirTag on the outside of the wallet, like some “monstrous carbuncle.” I would prefer to have a wallet tracker be a little more discrete. So when I saw the Worry Wallet reviewed, I ordered one up.

I like the AirTag holder, as well as the other design aspects. There’s space for plenty of cards in the pocket, and as it’s not completely sewn down, access is easy, even for those of us with wonky fingers.

Behind the pocket is the cash slot and here cash can either be folded in two or unfolded, with the folded over AirTag flap producing a cash wrap. Either way, the popper keeps things secure.

All their wallets are hand cut and saddle stitched and I ordered mine in my favourite Horween Chromexcel. The only thing I don’t like is that notes larger than a £20 will likely be too wide to fit without folding. But it’s rare for me to have, let alone see £50 notes. :)

Thanks for reading.

Bellroy Card Sleeve

Another Bellroy has joined my collection, and it is a thin, wee thing.

This is the Bellroy Card Sleeve, available for £49 from Amazon, other retailers and Bellroy’s site. There are a number of colour options available, but the one I bought is an SE collaboration with Carryology and features waterproof leather, a different shade of black to others in the range, and a unique orange pull tab.

It has a very simple setup. There’s a central slot for infrequently used cards which are accessed by pulling on the orange tab. On each side there’s a diagonal slot, for quick access to frequently used cards. Bellroy suggest that you place folded notes in the central pocket, however there’s a problem.

If you place a card in the slot on the side with the pull tab, the card is tall enough to interfere with the tab, meaning you have to pull the card back from the surface to be able firmly to grab the tab. The obvious solution is to use this slot for folded cash, which remains below the pull tab. Although some may not like having money on display.

The tab’s action is satisfying. It’s easy to grab and pulls the top of the cards out far enough to make selection and extraction straightforward. There’s a slight annoyance when returning the cards to the central pocket, as you have to push them all the way down to the bottom of the pocket in order to retract the pull tab to it’s lowest position. It’s a minor niggle.

The leather is good quality and will stretch given time. New, it can handle five cards in the central pocket, one in a side pocket and a £20 note in the other side pocket. It could take more if you wanted to push it, but maybe not too much more.

Unlike the zip Card Pocket wallet, the Card Sleeve has no place for coins and much less capacity. They have an almost identical length and width. But if you really just carry cards and a small amount of cash, the Card Sleeve could be a nice one to try.

Thanks for reading.

Master
    Another good, honest review. It certainly looks interesting and seems very similar to the Wolyt concept.
    Leather looks good quality and should wear well with age.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Another good, honest review. It certainly looks interesting and seems very similar to the Wolyt concept.
    Leather looks good quality and should wear well with age.
    Nice.
    Thanks bambam. Yes those Wolyt sleeves do look very nice indeed, but it's shame that they no longer seem to make the black version.

Cheers,

David

Journeyman
    I have another new wallet in my collection which may be of interest. While it’s not minimal, it has the neatest, most discrete method of containing and concealing an Apple AirTag I’ve yet seen. It’s appropriately called the “Worry Wallet” by Craft & Lore who some leather and bronze obsessed hipsters based in North Idaho. They may be quite hirsute but they produce excellent wallets and other items from high quality leathers, with their own semi-rugged style. I already use a couple of their wallets and they are very good.

The whole point of the wallet is to prevent worry by carrying an AirTag tracker. I’ve used Tile trackers with my keys and wallet for the last couple of years. They are very good but you have to pay a subscription fee to add full tracking and location history. Since buying my iPhone I’ve been impressed with the FindMe app which offers that level of tracking, gratis. I tried an AirTag on my keys when my Tile started playing up. It was impressive, so I decided to move over to AirTags going forward.

However Tile have one huge advantage over Apple, especially tracking wallets. They produce the Tile Slim, which is credit card sized, two cards thick and slides easily into most wallets. The AirTag’s puck shape necessitates a holder for key-rings and is not a convenient fit in many wallets. Hence the burgeoning market for AirTag compatible wallets. Some of the attempted solutions are eye-wateringly unattractive.

Most as you can see, place the AirTag on the outside of the wallet, like some “monstrous carbuncle.” I would prefer to have a wallet tracker be a little more discrete. So when I saw the Worry Wallet reviewed, I ordered one up.

I like the AirTag holder, as well as the other design aspects. There’s space for plenty of cards in the pocket, and as it’s not completely sewn down, access is easy, even for those of us with wonky fingers.

Behind the pocket is the cash slot and here cash can either be folded in two or unfolded, with the folded over AirTag flap producing a cash wrap. Either way, the popper keeps things secure.

All their wallets are hand cut and saddle stitched and I ordered mine in my favourite Horween Chromexcel. The only thing I don’t like is that notes larger than a £20 will likely be too wide to fit without folding. But it’s rare for me to have, let alone see £50 notes. :)

Thanks for reading.
    Wish the worry wallet has a quick draw card cutout. Otherwise nice wallet!

I’m still rocking the iclip, very hard to move away from it, works great for me and always get asked about it at checkouts lol

https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-CLIP-Orig..._dp&th=1&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    Wish the worry wallet has a quick draw card cutout. Otherwise nice wallet!

I’m still rocking the iclip, very hard to move away from it, works great for me and always get asked about it at checkouts lol
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-CLIP-Orig..._dp&th=1&psc=1
    Thank you.

I have been looking at the iClip for some time, ever since Old Oak Knives mentioned it further up the thread. I'm still not sure about it. The construction looks and some people say, feels a bit cheap. The top card is quite exposed, and the money fold is a bit fiddly, although that could be said about a lot of compact wallets. I prefer the idea of the steel or titanium framed models but they're very expensive.

I'll probably try one at some point.... :)
    Last edited by dkpw; 26th October 2022 at 12:40.

After relentless promotion and recommendation by OOK, I finally succumbed and purchased an iClip. I’ve set out my thoughts below and added a comparison to a similar wallet, the AKEENi XSTO.

I’d previously held off buying an iClip for several reasons; the plastic frame, some reviewers bemoaned its fragility, especially if dropped and a common complaint is that it feels too light and therefore cheap, being made of one piece of leather and that plastic frame. Additionally, the money folding looked fiddly and the top card is exposed in a large window.

It is shocking to feel how light an empty iClip is, especially when you first handle one. My scales show it at 20.2 gms, that's four credit cards. Its lightness and plastic construction does make it feel a bit cheap. This seems to be a real source of contention for many purchasers on Amazon who either consider £35 to be a lot for a wallet or mistakenly believe they’d ordered the steel version.

On the positive side, it’s very easy to find, extract and return your required card. It’s the wallet’s best feature. There’s a satisfying “clunk” when you return the card to the stack and push it fully back into the frame. It’s compact in the hand, barely larger than a card, excluding thickness. The weight and quality of the leather are better than I expected, and it doesn’t look or feel like it will easily come away from the frame. The clip retaining the leather flap is easy to open and close. I prefer wallets which hide your cash.

But….

It’s so light in the pocket, there have been times I thought I’d lost it, as I couldn’t feel it. But add enough cards and cash, and the increased weight does help.

iClip recommends you align notes under the money clip and then fold them into thirds. That’s finicky and time-consuming. You can simply fold the notes and jam them entirely under the clip. That speeds up insertion but may make extraction less precise. Having cash lay against the bottommost card, makes returning the bottom card to it its original position tricky. More often than not, it catches on the edges of the notes. Of course, most slim wallets require you to fold notes, but the iClip method is particularly fussy.

I don’t like the way leather doesn’t lie flat. There’s a large gap between the top card and the leather. While this provides plenty of space for cash, it’s not neat. The prongs add an unattractive asymmetry to the appearance.

While the window provides easy card selection, it means cards can be scuffed. I added an RFID blocker card for privacy and protection. I do know that RFID skimming is not really a thing... :)

This is a minimalist wallet, so moaning about capacity is unfair. However, the frame holds seven flat cards, less if you have embossed cards. At some point, you’ll add a card and it will lie above the lip of the frame. It could potentially slide out from under the clip when the leather is unclipped.

My most serious criticism is related to and a consequence of its best feature, the ease of access to cards. Other wallets with access windows have some form of restraint to ensure cards don’t fly out, be they straps, cord, or friction from the wallet’s materials. The iClip solely relies on the tension of the plastic clip, with cash above and cards below to retain the contents. One end of the wallet is entirely open. Increasing the number of cards increases the tension, but up to a point when the weight of the cards could potentially cause the clip’s grip to fail. When doing a shake test, I’ve found that cards sometimes fall from the open end and at other times they don’t. In everyday use, the open end is probably not an issue unless you drop it, when you will see your cards scatter far and wide.

On balance, I like the iClip, the niggles are minor. It goes to show that you cannot beat the experience of handling and using a product. The open end of the card slot still makes me feel somewhat nervous and I would prefer it to have more heft but it does work well.

In comparison, I have just taken delivery of the AKEENi XSTO. This is a neat minimalist US offering that outdoes the iClip with its satisfying “clunk” when returning cards to the wallet.

Unlike the iClip, the XSTO is made from metal (aluminium) under a robust, textured coating. I bought mine with an optional carbon fibre business card plate, more of which later. When you first hold it, it feels solid and well-built.

You have to order XSTOs in specified capacities, with the current options being, 4, 6, 8 & 10 cards. There are 8 standard colours and 6 special order colours. I bought the six card in Forest Green. AKEENi offers many customisations, such as engravings, different spring designs and materials.

The idea of the XSTO is simple; place the cards in a frame and use a steel plate, acting as a spring behind the cards, to secure them. The design leaves space between the bottom card and the spring to store folded cash.

Above the frame is a slot, nominally for 4 business cards, which are kept in good condition beneath a business card cover. Definitely order the carbon fibre cover, the default is a thin, unattractive piece of grey plastic. The upgrade is stiffer, will last longer and looks a lot better. If you don’t use business cards, you can use the slot for additional credit cards, a driving license, receipts or even a Tile Slim tracker.

In terms of capacity, the iClip can hold more cards - if you don’t mind them overflowing the frame - but the XSTO exceeds its specifications. In my 6 card version, I can fit seven flat cards and an RFID blocking card which is 1.5 cards high, that’s 8.5 cards in the main area, with another two flat cards in the business card slot. I’ve folded four notes and placed them inside the frame, below the last card, and there was easily room for more.

To use the wallet, you insert the cards into the frame, and they make that very satisfying clunk when they’re locked in place. It can take a little force to insert them as there are tension arms at each end of the frame, the resistance of which you have to overcome to secure the card. Once in there, cards are going nowhere. However, it is easy to push the stack of cards halfway out of the frame, fan them and select your required card or cards. Slotting a used card back into the stack, and locking the stack in place, soon becomes second nature. You can also slide the stack out as one, to the halfway position and for access to your notes under the cards. As with the iClip, I use an RFID card as a privacy and protector card.

There’s a lanyard hole on the frame, if you like that sort of thing.

Long term users report that the coating holds up well over time, but there have been reports that cards do suffer a little bit of wear to their edges, as they are put in and out of the wallet. It is after all metal, rubbing against plastic. If you’re very fussy about your cards’ appearance, this may bother you, although ordering a replacement card is easy to do online.

Of the two, I prefer the look and feel of the XSTO. It’s better engineered and has a more integrated design. You can only order them from their US website. My 6 card XSTO was £61, the carbon plate £8 and shipping was £15. There are discounts to be had, for signing up to their newsletter etc.

For ease of use in terms of cards, the iClip is just ahead. It’s more intuitive to slide cards out using its large window, than fan them on the XSTO. In terms of notes, the XSTO is ahead, there’s still folding but no fussy placement under the clip and no leather flap to replace. I like them both. The iClip grows on you, the XSTO is simply better out of the box.

Apologies for the length of this post… the long winter evenings fly by...

Anyway I hope it helps someone if they're thinking about either of these.

I saw your post and thought 'Why would I read about card cases' and read the whole thing! Really interesting points you make and I very much appreciate the detail you've gone into - I've only ever swung from fully fledged wallets to loose cards and notes, but I've always been annoyed by both, and these holders seem to be an ideal middle ground, so thank you for the thinking points.

I don’t have one but you can get the Chipolo CARD Spot (2022) which is a credit card shaped device that supports the Find My network. It has a non-removable battery which lasts 2 years. It doesn’t support precision location like the Airtag but does include a speaker to play a loud sound to help you locate it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipolo-CAR...ps%2C60&sr=8-2

Blog Entries
    Here's my Card Pocket in caramel, after 14 months of use. The photos were taken in a typically dull, overcast grey August day and so do not capture the slight glossy sheen / patina you get from the leather. I don't use it every day, as I have rotation :) but it's always out as I use it to store cards I do not carry.

I just got this based on your feedback…. I like it very much…. Small, leather and can stuff everything I need in it… . I just feel like a Sheff Wednesday fan, which is a little weird!

Blog Entries
    After relentless promotion and recommendation by OOK, I finally succumbed and purchased an iClip. I’ve set out my thoughts below and added a comparison to a similar wallet, the AKEENi XSTO...................
    Great review of the two wallets. Agree with most of your points on the iClip. Still using mine! I currently have 8 cards in it, a combo of debit/credit/store/and driving licence.

I normally carry between £100-200 in 20s as well and it seems to cope well with that. Yes the folding of the notes can be a bit of a knack, usually done when 'topping up' though, the rest of the time they're normally coming out!
    Still using the brown leather one I bought a couple of years ago.

I've tried a couple since but nothing worked very well. I like the look of the metal one but I must admit I like the lightness and soft curves on the iClip so probably wouldn't buy it.

Still looking at potential replacements though, so keep posting what you've got folks.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I just got this based on your feedback…. I like it very much…. Small, leather and can stuff everything I need in it… . I just feel like a Sheff Wednesday fan, which is a little weird!
    That's a football joke that has passed me by, but I'm glad you're enjoying the Bellroy. I think it's the best of their zipper wallets, as the others are too large and it can hold as you say, a load of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I saw your post and thought 'Why would I read about card cases' and read the whole thing! Really interesting points you make and I very much appreciate the detail you've gone into - I've only ever swung from fully fledged wallets to loose cards and notes, but I've always been annoyed by both, and these holders seem to be an ideal middle ground, so thank you for the thinking points.
    Thank you very much Hugh. All of the modern minimalist wallets, those which stack the cards, require some getting used to but they do have the cleaning cathartic effect of making you decide what to carry and what not to. Do you really need that Tesco Clubcard, when you usually go to Sainsbury? That Starbucks card hasn't been used for five years! Etc. :)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Great review of the two wallets. Agree with most of your points on the iClip. Still using mine! I currently have 8 cards in it, a combo of debit/credit/store/and driving licence.

I normally carry between £100-200 in 20s as well and it seems to cope well with that. Yes the folding of the notes can be a bit of a knack, usually done when 'topping up' though, the rest of the time they're normally coming out!
    Still using the brown leather one I bought a couple of years ago.

I've tried a couple since but nothing worked very well. I like the look of the metal one but I must admit I like the lightness and soft curves on the iClip so probably wouldn't buy it.
    Now that's patina OOK! Very nice to see it's been able to cope with several years. I normally carry only about £40 so I shouldn't really moan about the note folding too much. :)

D
    Last edited by dkpw; 21st November 2022 at 11:31.

This thread pushed me to buy and use a Ridge (with note strap) and this has been my sole wallet of choice for a couple of years now.

Strangely though, I've just gone back to using a traditional card wallet with 4 CC slots and a central stash. So, I now have no RFID protection, which is one concern (although not using tube etc anywhere near as much) but what the Ridge did for me was to condition the use of fewer physical cards and now I carry only 3, plus ID and a small amount of notes.

Will I go back? Let's see.

All of the modern minimalist wallets, those which stack the cards, require some getting used to but they do have the cleaning cathartic effect of making you decide what to carry and what not to.
    That's my problem, right there. I've ended up carrying two minimalist wallets, one for payment cards and cash, and one for loyalty cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    That's my problem, right there. I've ended up carrying two minimalist wallets, one for payment cards and cash, and one for loyalty cards.
    But these days isn't pretty much every loyalty card available as an app/electronic wallet card? The only reason I carry a physical cards are the contactless transaction limits, my paper railcard/oyster card and driving licence. I wouldn't be carrying anything if i didn't need to, especially not loyalty cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    But these days isn't pretty much every loyalty card available as an app/electronic wallet card? The only reason I carry a physical cards are the contactless transaction limits, my paper railcard/oyster card and driving licence. I wouldn't be carrying anything if i didn't need to, especially not loyalty cards.
    You're absolutely correct. I should really make the move to digital for everything that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    This thread pushed me to buy and use a Ridge (with note strap) and this has been my sole wallet of choice for a couple of years now.

Strangely though, I've just gone back to using a traditional card wallet with 4 CC slots and a central stash. So, I now have no RFID protection, which is one concern (although not using tube etc anywhere near as much) but what the Ridge did for me was to condition the use of fewer physical cards and now I carry only 3, plus ID and a small amount of notes.

Will I go back? Let's see.
    I love my Ridge in Titanium, it's a fantastic wallet, probably the neatest and smallest practical example of a minimalist wallet you can get.

RFID really isn't a huge concern, as I don't believe there's ever been a recorded instance of theft using it. There are always those RFID cards if you need one for your traditional wallet, the ones in my photos come as a pair for about £7.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    So, I now have no RFID protection, which is one concern (although not using tube etc anywhere near as much).
    The RFID thing is overblown and pushed by people selling wallets.

I love my Ridge in Titanium, it's a fantastic wallet, probably the neatest and smallest practical example of a minimalist wallet you can get.

RFID really isn't a huge concern, as I don't believe there's ever been a recorded instance of theft using it. There are always those RFID cards if you need one for your traditional wallet, the ones in my photos come as a pair for about £7.
    I think the point I was making is that the Ridge has 'educated' me, but a card holder with a small amount of cards is in fact lighter and slimmer than the Ridge (I have the fancy forged carbon one).

Not sure if I will stick with the card wallet or go back just yet.

Noted the two posts on RFID, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The RFID thing is overblown and pushed by people selling wallets.
    Indeed it is.

https://www.walletopia.info/educate/...-still-a-scam/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I very rarely carry any cards now, only my work ones in a work folder. Everything is done on my phone down to buying a car. Never had an issue with any limit on an iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    so, I've had the itch for another wallet, currently using iclip with airtag (which I love) but BF deals are tempting!

looked at the Ridge and ridge clones, the Aviator, ekster and Xsto

One thing ive noticed is, they don't handle cash as well as the iclip, being you have to fold cash and place under the strap on the ridge and when you want to take cash out, you have to take the whole thing out

iclip handles this a lot better and easier, you can take single notes out quicker and do not have to take the whole wad of cash out (if you get what I mean)

i also dont like the way you have to choose the number of cards version of the xsto, feel kinda trapped lol

are there any more that I should look at?
    Last edited by bigup; 24th November 2022 at 12:09.

so, I've had the itch for another wallet, currently using iclip with airtag (which I love) but BF deals are tempting!

looked at the Ridge and ridge clones, the Aviator, ekster and Xsto

One thing ive noticed is, they don't handle cash as well as the iclip, being you have to fold cash and place under the strap on the ridge and when you want to take cash out, you have to take the whole thing out

iclip handles this a lot better and easier.

are there any more that I should look at?

Any slim wallet which stacks the card, usually asks you to fold notes like The Ridge.

If you like the iClip but don't want to fold notes, there is the ZNAP wallet which combines a billfold and card, plus an optional coin tray. It looks a bit bulkier than an iClip but is the same price. £35 on Amazon.

There's also the excellent Secrid Slimwallet, which has the box with pop up mechanism plus a billfold section. It's less fussy than iClip's but there is still some folding involved.

You could also have a look at some of the Bellroy offerings which are a bit more traditional. They're offering 33% off for their Black Friday sales. Models to consider perhaps would be the Note Sleeve

or maybe the Hide & Seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I don’t have one but you can get the Chipolo CARD Spot (2022) which is a credit card shaped device that supports the Find My network. It has a non-removable battery which lasts 2 years. It doesn’t support precision location like the Airtag but does include a speaker to play a loud sound to help you locate it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipolo-CAR...ps%2C60&sr=8-2
    Thanks Phil,

I have heard about Chipolo but had not seen the card you linked. That's very interesting, a slim Find My card. Hmmm!

Journeyman
    Any slim wallet which stacks the card, usually asks you to fold notes like The Ridge.

If you like the iClip but don't want to fold notes, there is the ZNAP wallet which combines a billfold and card, plus an optional coin tray. It looks a bit bulkier than an iClip but is the same price. £35 on Amazon.

There's also the excellent Secrid Slimwallet, which has the box with pop up mechanism plus a billfold section. It's less fussy than iClip's but there is still some folding involved.

You could also have a look at some of the Bellroy offerings which are a bit more traditional. They're offering 33% off for their Black Friday sales. Models to consider perhaps would be the Note Sleeve

or maybe the Hide & Seek.

thanks for the info, im happy with he iclip, just wanted to see what else was out there

I have that secrid too but to bulky, I cant sit on a char with it in my back pocket comfortably

iclip is cleverly made with this plastic structure, it can be bent a little so has some give.

Journeyman
    Grabbed a Ridge Clone to see what the fuss was about, about £11 from Amazon

will test drive it for a bit

Master
    A little off topic, but as it's about storing money I hope you'll excuse me.

I can't stand keeping coins in my pocket. I tend only to use them for parking machines. I also dislike them rattling around in the car.

The solution for the car? I give you my Kangaroo scrotum pouch.

Christmas is coming...

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    thanks for the info, im happy with he iclip, just wanted to see what else was out there

I have that secrid too but to bulky, I cant sit on a char with it in my back pocket comfortably

iclip is cleverly made with this plastic structure, it can be bent a little so has some give.
    Have you tried it in a front pocket?
    One of the reasons I wanted a smaller wallet was to carry it in my front pocket.

Grabbed a Ridge Clone to see what the fuss was about, about £11 from Amazon
    will test drive it for a bit
    I tried one, like your's a carbon fibre clone before buying my titanium Ridge. The clone will give you a feel for how the wallet works but the obviously quality of the materials and finishing on a Ridge is of a much higher order. Does the clone do the same thing, fundamentally yes. Will it be as nice to use and hold, probably not.

That AirTag holder always brings to mind Prince Charles' quote about the national gallery, it being a "monstrous carbuncle." I do hope Apple make something card shaped to fit inside wallets, until then, I'll use my Tile Slim.

They are useful though, I had a wallet fall out of my pocket, luckily into the footwell of my car, but the panic was pretty high until my iPhone found it, within a minute. Phew.

Journeyman
    I tried one, like your's a carbon fibre clone before buying my titanium Ridge. The clone will give you a feel for how the wallet works but the obviously quality of the materials and finishing on a Ridge is of a much higher order. Does the clone do the same thing, fundamentally yes. Will it be as nice to use and hold, probably not.

That AirTag holder always brings to mind Prince Charles' quote about the national gallery, it being a "monstrous carbuncle." I do hope Apple make something card shaped to fit inside wallets, until then, I'll use my Tile Slim.

They are useful though, I had a wallet fall out of my pocket, luckily into the footwell of my car, but the panic was pretty high until my iPhone found it, within a minute. Phew.
    Yeh, ive read the ridge feels better but surely not £90 better

ive been reading up on the TaurusCamp Base Wallet, https://youtu.be/zwadpm6BXHQ does look good may order it

Scudo Switch Wallet

As you’ll know by now, I have a thing for wallets. I really should know that there’s no such thing as the perfect wallet, but who knows, the next one might be!

A few years ago, the YouTube channel Walletopia featured an usual metal wallet, the Scudo Switch made in Georgia USA by a company called MGW, who have experience building high-quality components for the automotive industry and the military.

It’s a well engineered metal box, in which you carry cards and folded cash, with a lid using MGW’s patented lock system. It looked unique and unlike anything else I had then seen. I visited the website and liked what I saw, but I couldn’t buy one as for some strange reason, they didn’t ship to the UK!? Spool forward a couple of years, and as they’d made several improvements to the design, I felt it was time to try one.

They still don’t ship to the UK but after posting a G&D thread on advice about using a US to UK buying service, TZUK’s own NigeG very kindly offered to bring one back after visiting his son for Thanksgiving. I took him up on his offer, and after a bit of baggage handling confusion by BA he sent it on to me. Thank you very much Nige for all your help feeding the addiction, it was a pleasure chatting with you.

Onto the wallet.

It's called a Switch because there is a large, one could easily say confusing, array of customisations available. This confusion is not aided by an unhelpfully laid-out website and ordering system. Options include whether you fitting an external money clip, whether you have an ID window, what ID cover you want and finally the design of the metal plate on the lid. There’s even a version with “Elite” plates, including swappable medallions.

For a UK buyer, all of this easy customisability is rather pointless, given they don’t ship here. Also unfortunately, many of the medals and plates are not to my taste, appealing rather to the high-speed, low-drag EDC prepper market, concentrating as they do on Americana, guns, and skulls. I decided to go basic and ordered an open-backed version with a grey carbon fibre plate for the ID window, 10-12 card capacity and a non-controversial top plate engraved with a map of the world.

You open the wallet, by holding it in your left hand with the top plate facing up and the latch at the top. Pull the latch to the right with your index finger to open but hold onto the catch, as otherwise, the lid could ping forward, as the latch is under spring tension. You’re then meant to pull the top plate back to about 40 degrees and fan through your cards (like a Rolodex) to find the one you need. Once you’ve used your card, you replace it and close the lid. The Delrin bar locks shut into the frame with a very satisfying clunk.

So how have I found it?

On the good side, it's beautifully engineered. This is the 6th iteration and is smaller and lighter than previous models. New side vents reduce weight. The lid opens to 90 degrees, the previous limit was 45, to facilitate cleaning. Its hinge is friction fitted and the lid stays where you place it, which adds to the feeling of quality. Closing the wallet is great, KLUNK! The carbon fibre spacer for the ID window gives the wallet a sleek appearance. The ID window lets you display an ID or use it for tap and pay or travel cards.

The capacity is more generous than the stated maximum of 12. It easily holds my six daily cards, my Tile Slim tracker and some folded notes. Despite being metal, it’s neither too heavy nor not too large for easy carry. It’s built like a tank, and cards are held incredibly securely. It’s tactile with all the edges being carefully rounded, and quick and easy to open, select a card or two and replace them. Cards aren’t damaged or scratched, unlike in some slim, band wallets. It’s an unusual design. The nearest equivalent is the Flipside 4, but this is all plastic, whereas the Scudo is CNC machined aluminium and coated for wearability and scratch resistance. The latch is made from Delrin, which is as we all know, included in Omega’s 1861 calibre. :)

On the bad side there are some handling issues. It has taken a while to become used to how the Scudo works. When opening it to Rolodex cards, they can occasionally slide out of the base to the sides. They can also slip down into the hinge which prevents the lid from closing. The best way of preventing errant cards, is to only open the wallet to the suggested 35-45 degrees and to keep it vertical. I sometimes use my thumb over the cards to keep them in place. You quickly become used to it, although folded notes, especially polymer ones, can act as a spring, pushing cards up away from the base, increasing the possibility of slippage. On the plus side, having some notes dampens down the rattling of cards in the base.

You can therefore only open it in one orientation; ID window down, top plate up, latch at the top. It can be confusing giving the symmetrical appearance of the wallet to get that right when you pick it up. If you’re left handed, the latch is probably going to be travelling in the wrong direction for you. You cannot open the wallet “upside down” with the latch facing you. Doing so, the cards fall out from the base and into the hinge, making it impossible to open - possibly an unintentional security feature?

I have probably made this all sound worse than it is, but it does take a little muscle memory and learning to become fully comfortable with it.

In conclusion, I’ve been using the Scudo for about three weeks and I've been very impressed with the capacity, the speed of access and the feel of it. It looks cool, to my eye at least, and you know your contents will be well protected. It’s just a shame they don’t sell here. Thank you again to Nige for making it possible.

Blog Entries
    As you’ll know by now, I have a thing for wallets. I really should know that there’s no such thing as the perfect wallet, but who knows, the next one might be!

A few years ago, the YouTube channel Walletopia featured an usual metal wallet, the Scudo Switch made in Georgia USA by a company called MGW, who have experience building high-quality components for the automotive industry and the military.

Dang it, thought you'd found the grail there when I saw the thread pop up again!

Nicely engineered thing from looking on their website video, bit like the Abrams of the wallet world! And I'd have to have a lasered plate just for fun. Not sure about the Rolodex method of looking for the right card though. Nice review.

You can tell that's American. The map is trying to be olde worlde however has a configuration of countries that is post Soviet Union but before South Sudan existed as an independent country in 2011.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You can tell that's American. The map is trying to be olde worlde however has a configuration of countries that is post Soviet Union but before South Sudan existed as an independent country in 2011.
    I'm not sure I can spot Gaillardia either...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Dang it, thought you'd found the grail there when I saw the thread pop up again!

Nicely engineered thing from looking on their website video, bit like the Abrams of the wallet world! And I'd have to have a lasered plate just for fun. Not sure about the Rolodex method of looking for the right card though. Nice review.
    Thank you. Yes it's very well engineered - as the "rolodexing" I think the earlier models, had measures to counter that, including the limited opening angle. That was increased to 90 degrees I believe as the side have openings which let in more fluff etc and so the wider angle facilitates easier cleaning. That might be wrong though!

EDIT: The grail may be a steel iClip, as after having used the Scudo, I have reverted to the iClip and am enjoying the easy accesses. Santa was kind, so it's possible.
    Last edited by dkpw; 28th December 2022 at 12:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    As usual Matthew, your knowledge never fails to impress, and also your eyesight! :)

Blog Entries
    Thank you. Yes it's very well engineered - as the "rolodexing" I think the earlier models, had measures to counter that, including the limited opening angle. That was increased to 90 degrees I believe as the side have openings which let in more fluff etc and so the wider angle facilitates easier cleaning. That might be wrong though!

EDIT: The grail may be a steel iClip, as after having used the Scudo, I have reverted to the iClip and am enjoying the easy accesses. Santa was kind, so it's possible.
    Must admit I'm tempted to get another, maybe the steel or titanium. Trouble is, the one I have now shows no signs of wearing out. Mind you neither did the first one I had which still works as well !

Must admit I'm tempted to get another, maybe the steel or titanium. Trouble is, the one I have now shows no signs of wearing out. Mind you neither did the first one I had which still works as well !
    Some of the polished steel ones do look rather smart, and while I have a penchant for titanium, the prices for both are rather high. I suspect the main difference would be in the heft as the original polymer version is around only 20gms but the steel ones are about 54gms. They also have those black plastic inserts in the frame, to protect the cards against the metal, so they may be slippier?

Blog Entries
    Some of the polished steel ones do look rather smart, and while I have a penchant for titanium, the prices for both are rather high. I suspect the main difference would be in the heft as the original polymer version is around only 20gms but the steel ones are about 54gms. They also have those black plastic inserts in the frame, to protect the cards against the metal, so they may be slippier?
    Normally I’d prefer the solid feel of the steel ones, but their light weight is actually one of the things I like. Also with the plastic inserts some of the simplicity is lost. I think the fact the polymer one is so basic is probably it’s best feature, the old less is more!
    We’ll see.