closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Looks a bit hard and sharp edged. Be interested to hear from anyone who uses one.
    I read some terrible user reviews on that wallet and as you say it is too sharp edged

ihave been using this for a year and love it

https://www.mukama.com/en/secrid-miniwallet

Well I think my “journey” will soon be complete. I went from a regular Dunhill wallet to a Secrid as a gift from a Dutch colleague. This took some getting used to but I now use it as my main wallet (previously I thought would only really work for a night out). However for Christmas I was given a LV card holder which looks even smaller and more minimalist so looks like I will have to rationalise again now !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Had a really nice experience with walletco - the original wallet I ordered was not quite suitable and asked if I'd like to try something else (which was slightly more expense but no extra cost!) and they sent me a ridge - really like it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Had a really nice experience with walletco - the original wallet I ordered was not quite suitable and asked if I'd like to try something else (which was slightly more expense but no extra cost!) and they sent me a ridge - really like it.
    Good looking piece but how easy and quick is it to get a particular card or banknote?

Using this I-clip and can't seem to find anything as small and easy to use.

Good looking piece but how easy and quick is it to get a particular card or banknote?

Using this I-clip and can't seem to find anything as small and easy to use.
    Seems fairly easy need to spend some time with it , will get back to you.

Having previously been a huge All-Ett fan for years, I've recently been trying the Samsonite Prod-DLX 4S RFID. Good choice for anyone who only carries cards and a few notes and back pocket friendly. £35 from Amazon.

That said, I've finally cracked and ordered a matte black leather Secrid Slim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I really like that but some of the recent trustpilot reviews don't make for good reading it seems like the quality is a bit dodgy and their customer service is terrible if you need them, but I do like it :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I really like that but some of the recent trustpilot reviews don't make for good reading it seems like the quality is a bit dodgy and their customer service is terrible if you need them, but I do like it :)
    How much is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Do you know of any documented cases of RFID theft?
    I thought I mentioned it! My friend in Norfolk had his card cloned at an airport - he never uses the card for internet purchases, it was his emergency card and therefore unused, and that seems to be the likeliest place it happened. His "card" was used in a number of locations in Spain and Portugal (he went to France), for transactions less than 50 Euros each time but totalling something like 500 Euros.

I worked in the security and access control industry for over 20 years and RFID cloning is a simple procedure which the banking industry is only recently beginning to address. Similar problems are also encountered with keyless entry systems for cars. Ignore the threat at your peril I would say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

A somewhat ironic comment from somebody who appears to be worried about the infinitesimally small risk of RFID harvesting.
    Not infinitesimal in some busy locations. I doubt that my mate was too interested in the probability as he tried to get his money refunded. The perpetrators could of course have bought a block of credit card numbers off the "dark web" but who knows? Newer cards have better security allegedly so the problem may be overstated.

I have no problem in my data being harvested by retailers - once you are on the internet, walking past CCTV cameras and carry a phone you are pretty much on someones map. None of my transactions need to be anonymous.

Going off topic - One of my colleagues was accused of harassing an ex-wife (a messy child-access case) and was able to prove that he was nowhere near the alleged her location by presenting evidence from credit card transactions and a phone log - it's not always necessary to be invisible, just don't let them get your money! :-)
    Last edited by UKMike; 30th December 2018 at 20:28.

I seem to be getting loads of anti RFID adverts on my FB feed

Eg https://monmonland.com/products/anti-rfid-wallet

anyone any experience with the ‘cheaper’ end of the market. For the sake of £12 I may try and see what it’s like.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I've finally cracked and ordered a matte black leather Secrid Slim.
    Can I just say how much I am enjoying the Secrid Slim, thanks to all those in this thread who recommended it.

As a lifetime back-pocketer, it’s taking some adjustment to front-pocketing, but it’s such a clever design it’s worth it.

V. good service from slimwalletjunkie.com, BTW.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Not infinitesimal in some busy locations. I doubt that my mate was too interested in the probability as he tried to get his money refunded. The perpetrators could of course have bought a block of credit card numbers off the "dark web" but who knows? Newer cards have better security allegedly so the problem may be overstated.
    I thought I mentioned it! My friend in Norfolk had his card cloned at an airport - he never uses the card for internet purchases, it was his emergency card and therefore unused, and that seems to be the likeliest place it happened. His "card" was used in a number of locations in Spain and Portugal (he went to France), for transactions less than 50 Euros each time but totalling something like 500 Euros.

I worked in the security and access control industry for over 20 years and RFID cloning is a simple procedure which the banking industry is only recently beginning to address. Similar problems are also encountered with keyless entry systems for cars. Ignore the threat at your peril I would say.
    How many proven cases of RFID card abuse have there actually been do you think?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Can I just say how much I am enjoying the Secrid Slim, thanks to all those in this thread who recommended it.

As a lifetime back-pocketer, it’s taking some adjustment to front-pocketing, but it’s such a clever design it’s worth it.

V. good service from slimwalletjunkie.com, BTW.
    I did exactly the same as you and bought the Secrid from SWJ, I’m also very pleased with the wallet and the service from SWJ. Still get the feeling I must have lost my wallet as the Secrid is so insignificant in my front pocket.

My thanks also to the recommenders on this thread.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    I did exactly the same as you and bought the Secrid from SWJ, I’m also very pleased with the wallet and the service from SWJ. Still get the feeling I must have lost my wallet as the Secrid is so insignificant in my front pocket.

My thanks also to the recommenders on this thread.

Me too. I thought I might need some of the junk I used to carry around but no, and after more than a year with my Secrid I can not imagine using a 'normal' sized wallet again.

Craftsman
    Ive been making these card holders for friends for a couple years now,

I make them up out of a variety of woods and they arnt as slim as the metal style ones and the way I contour them makes them very comfortable in the pocket.

Of course it doesnt carry cash but I dont tend to carry cash anyway, it holds just my normal payment cards, drivers licence, rod licence as a couple business cards.

Couldnt go back to carrying around a heavy wallet

Master
    I have been using an eBay version of the Secrid mechanism (may even be from the same factory they use) for over 12 months with perfect reliablilty. It cost something like £2.75 including postage from China. It also offers RFID protection as standard - something that some of these other solutions lack. As a friend of mine had his rarely-used card apparently cloned at a European airport, RFID protection is an essential in this 21st Century techworld.

I also see that many people are carrying significant amounts in bank notes - how quaint! Are they still accepted as currency? LOL.

The most useful gadget for modern living would seem to be an RFID card holder stuck to the back of a smartphone.
    I've got the secrid wallet, it was a present from my wife. At first i thought it was just a bit of a gimmick but I've had it for over 3 years now. Genuinely the best wallet I've ever had, can hold around 10 cards and the notes fold into the middle.

Plus is small !

Best wallet I've ever had.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    Ive been making these card holders for friends for a couple years now,

I make them up out of a variety of woods and they arnt as slim as the metal style ones and the way I contour them makes them very comfortable in the pocket.

Of course it doesnt carry cash but I dont tend to carry cash anyway, it holds just my normal payment cards, drivers licence, rod licence as a couple business cards.

Couldnt go back to carrying around a heavy wallet

Wow, beautiful!

Could you make a groove on the sides to accommodate an elastic band that act as a note holder?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash View Post
    Wow, beautiful!

Could you make a groove on the sides to accommodate an elastic band that act as a note holder?

Yeah I certainly could, after looking on the website from the OP it looks like these might be something I should considering developing?

Craftsman
    A slimmer one with an inlay

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    Yeah I certainly could, after looking on the website from the OP it looks like these might be something I should considering developing?
    I, for one, would be interested.

That inlay is gorgeous by the way.

Craftsman
    I’ll see what I can do, keep an eye on SC

A bit of a thread bump but I just wanted to say that I've taken delivery of a new Secrid miniwallet in cognac today and am very pleased with it. I particularly like the RID protection and the auto card fanning from the container. I like my Trove a great deal but do find it tricky sometimes to get the cards out. It's nice to have the option.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    A bit of a thread bump but I just wanted to say that I've taken delivery of a new Secrid miniwallet in cognac today and am very pleased with it. I particularly like the RID protection and the auto card fanning from the container. I like my Trove a great deal but do find it tricky sometimes to get the cards out. It's nice to have the option.

I agree with you, had mine about 3 months and wonder why it took me so long to be converted.

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    I agree with you, had mine about 3 months and wonder why it took me so long to be converted.
    I was given one by a Dutch colleague and although it took some getting used to, and I thought I had lost it a few times it really does work well once you have rationalised the stuff you carry around with you that you don’t need.

A very informative thread indeed

Off on hols in little over a week and only want to carry a few cards and a bit of cash around, so have ordered a Trove Swift based on many of the comments here. Hopefully it'll work just fine. I did consider the Secrid (though it's not cheap is it yikes) but had the feeling that the protrusion of the card 'lever' thingy would annoy me. Maybe I'll try that one another time.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I was given one by a Dutch colleague and although it took some getting used to, and I thought I had lost it a few times it really does work well once you have rationalised the stuff you carry around with you that you don’t need.

I sat at a table of 8 Dutch men and at the end when it came to paying they all had them! Next visit I was given one as a gift, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A very informative thread indeed

Off on hols in little over a week and only want to carry a few cards and a bit of cash around, so have ordered a Trove Swift based on many of the comments here. Hopefully it'll work just fine. I did consider the Secrid (though it's not cheap is it yikes) but had the feeling that the protrusion of the card 'lever' thingy would annoy me. Maybe I'll try that one another time.
    Good choice - I've been using my Swift non stop and not looked back after giving up on the cash wallet thingy from Trove. I'll probably buy another Swift to change up the look soon!

Craftsman
    Well that's another secrid ordered will give it a try . Do seem to have too many cards nowadays

I'm a total Secrid convert.

Blog Entries
    Well I still haven’t seen anything to beat the size and ease of use of the I-clip.
    Bought lots of nice looking small wallets but they aren’t small enough and are too fiddly.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I did consider the Secrid (though it's not cheap is it yikes) but had the feeling that the protrusion of the card 'lever' thingy would annoy me. Maybe I'll try that one another time.
    I've being using a Secrid for a good few years now, not once has the lever bothered me. It doesn't snag on anything when in my pocket and still functions as it did when new, other than when you use it you'd never know it was there

Blog Entries
    Have been using an anti-RFID wallet with a secrid-like mechanism. Although there was some good pop-up of cards advantage, after a while could not stand to have like a tile in my back pocket.

Have finally bought an Akielo Delta wallet, and am 100% happy. It is of good quality leather, well stitched andhas space for 8 cards and banknotes. One pull out tab gives easy access to 4 cards, two slots have cut slots which allow to push out the card. And comfortable in my usual pocket.

And really, was just 15 quid, ok by me.

F
    Last edited by Franco; 24th May 2019 at 08:37.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Have been using an anti-RFID wallet with a secrid-like mechanism. Although there was some good pop-up of cards advantage, after a while could not stand to have like a tile in my back pocket.

Have finally bought an Akielo Delta wallet, and am 100% happy. It is of good quality leather, well stitched andhas space for 8 cards and banknotes. One pull out tab gives easy access to 4 cards, two slots have cut slots which allow to push out the card. And comfortable in my usual pocket.

And really, was just 15 quid, ok by me.

F
    Sounds good but I gave up carrying in a back pocket. Has to be front pocket carry nowadays, wonder how many others feel the same?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Sounds good but I gave up carrying in a back pocket. Has to be front pocket carry nowadays, wonder how many others feel the same?
    Yes, has to be a front pocket, much less noticeable, never even thought of using the back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've being using a Secrid for a good few years now, not once has the lever bothered me. It doesn't snag on anything when in my pocket and still functions as it did when new, other than when you use it you'd never know it was there
    Good to know, thanks. I dare say I'll give one a try. They do appear to be pretty cool. Yet another item that TZ has piqued my interest in. Damn!

Yes, I was a lifetime back-pocketer. The Secrid forced me into front-pocketing, but I couldn't go back.

Craftsman
    I was a secrid convert, happy for a few years.

Then realised I only ever use one card so got a phone case with a card slot in the back and don't carry a wallet at all any more. The ultimate slimming down!

No RFID protection though, so might regret it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use a Mont Blanc credit card holder. It holds all I need and feels like it will last years. No RFID protection though.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I use a Mont Blanc credit card holder. It holds all I need and feels like it will last years. No RFID protection though.

Looks good. I wouldn’t worry about RFID protection personally.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks good. I wouldn’t worry about RFID protection personally.
    Thanks OOK - it wasn't cheap (I didn't buy it!) And the RFID side isn't driving me to change it any time soon. ATB Jon

Craftsman
    Any owners of a Secrid miniwallet?

Can I carry 4 bank/creditcards, 4-6 other cards, 4-6 banknotes (and perhaps a few coins) in this Miniwallet or do I need a Slimwallet or even Twinwallet?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post

Can I carry 4 bank/creditcards, 4-6 other cards, 4-6 banknotes (and perhaps a few coins) in this Miniwallet or do I need a Slimwallet or even Twinwallet?
    Slimwallet will manage that but not suitable for coins IMHO.

I have a mini wallet - the one with the popper closure and reckon you would manage all of that.

It has a couple of pockets as well as the card holder. I have got a tile, crefitcard tool and oyster card in the pockets, can hold plenty of notes once you fold them right and a handful of cards although I did slim the cards down when I first went to a secrid a few years ago. Haven't missed the spares !

Craftsman
    Thanks,

I will order one this week.

Still using my aluminium solid design, still going strong after 2yrs

Found my Walter wallet the other day, was given to me as a freebie by someone on here and have been meaning to pass it on. Didn't get on with it, but it converted me to slim wallets and that a solid one suits me, which led me to get the solid design.

If anyone wants the walter, it's a white plastic one, send me a pm and it's yours, ideally I'd like it to go to someone who wants to try a slim wallet for the first time, like I was, rather than someone taking it for the sake of a freebie

Cheers

Brighty
    Last edited by Brighty; 28th May 2019 at 19:25.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post

My Secrid Mini arrived today , I'm amazed by it , I have 6 cards in it but could squeeze 7 and around £100 in cash , I used to carry a lot of rubbish in my old one so will be a big change for me

Another option I have just stumbled across (no affiliation):

https://versowallets.com/

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I'm just deciding between the secrid slim and mini wallet.I like the cleaner look of the slim but am wondering how it would keep closed without the popper. I tend to carry up to £100 in notes generally. Any experience with this anyone?