closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

Hybrid View

Want to slim down your wallet?

No affiliation, but I've just bought a Secrid Slim Wallet through these guys

http://www.slimwalletjunkie.com/

The wallet is great - feels good quality & is very compact - small enough to fit in a front trouser pocket so less likely to fall out, or get lifted.

The RFID safe card holder does really only take 4 cards with embossed numbers as most UK credit cards have. But that's not a problem. The wallet will take a few more cards if needed, but I'm now using the KeyRing App to carry around digital versions of all my loyalty and membership cards incl. driving licence etc.

Takes a bit of getting used to not carrying around a big old wallet stuffed full of receipts etc. but it's really quite liberating.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    I've had one full time for about 18months now. Works well superb with Oyster card on tube etc to protect from double paying. And light and easy
    RIAC

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Can you just confirm which app that is Andy...I've searched under keyring and nothing springs out (or I'm being dense)

"Your good friend is morbidly obese!"

Key Ring - Store Cards, Reward Cards etc. by Mobestream Media
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Ta...found it....was being dense!
    Last edited by village; 29th January 2016 at 18:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Ta...not known on App Store so I assume android?
    I assume it is this: https://www.keyringapp.com/

Downloaded it and seems really helpful, but I only have 2 loyalty cards, and one of those (Shell) needs to be swiped so cant be imported. Still, looks like a helpful app if you have several to get rid of.

Master
    I'm a fan of these guys too:

http://bellroy.com

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    Andy, how well do you find this works? It seems US-centric, have you been able to upload all your UK cards and use them without issue?
    Early days, but OK so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave View Post
    Yes
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice

Web site/membership passwords management app

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave View Post

Downloaded it and seems really helpful, but I only have 2 loyalty cards, and one of those (Shell) needs to be swiped so cant be imported. Still, looks like a helpful app if you have several to get rid of.
    I use Data Vault.
    They have a separate license for iOS, Android, Windows. I have purchased all three, as I have an iPad, a Windows 10 desktop and an Android phone (don't ask...).
    You can sync between them so that any change is reflected in all platforms (I sync using Dropbox although you can also sync via WIFI).
    Thier UI is somewhat outdated, but this is negligible compared to the app versatility. I tried several other password apps (not the one mentioned here) and found Data Vault to be the most versatile.

Andy, how well do you find this works? It seems US-centric, have you been able to upload all your UK cards and use them without issue?

Timely for me - need a new compact wallet

This looks good

I keep looking at these kind of wallets but I'm afraid of coins. What do you do if you get coins as change?

Quote Originally Posted by alun View Post
    What do you do if you get coins as change?
    I've something like this for years for carrying coins

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-Qauli...top+coin+purse

Never liked coins in my main wallet and this sort of thing stops them falling out of your pockets when driving - which can happen a lot in low seated sports cars.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Got myself an Allett wallet a year or so ago. Really good quality, very thin and has a zip pocket for coins

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/9948...f=sr_gallery_5
    Last edited by craig1912; 30th January 2016 at 07:58.

Tried quite a few compact wallets over the years. Bellroy is well designed but the leather quality felt cheap. Also got a Saddleback credit card wallet. Lovely leather but just a little too small for Brutish notes even when folded

For the last couple of years been using a compact wallet from Sage Brown. Perfect size for suits and jeans pockets, decent leather, holds 6 cards easily, fits our notes without folding and has a rear pocket/slip for my Oyster card.

https://www.sagebrown.co.uk/mens-col...allets/all?p=1

Quote Originally Posted by alun View Post
    I keep looking at these kind of wallets but I'm afraid of coins. What do you do if you get coins as change?
    A wallet with coins in is a purse.....

Last edited by Broussard; 30th January 2016 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Backed!

I thought SC was the way to slim down your wallet....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Thanks for this, exactly what I've been looking for.

I thought SC was enough to slim down any wallet ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Agreed I would never want coins in a wallet!

Master
    I've got a couple of those Secrid wallets knocking about. Keep your eye on SC and I'll Fundraiser raffle them when I get chance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I've got a couple of those Secrid wallets knocking about. Keep your eye on SC and I'll Fundraiser raffle them when I get chance.
    Now you mention this!

;-p

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Agreed I would never want coins in a wallet!
    People asking about coins in a wallet purse remind me of this style:

+1 for the I-clip wallet. At first it looks a pretty flimsy bit of plastic with a leather cover but it's actually really good for storing cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    That made me laugh. Thanks :)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Ordered one of those Trove ones - looks clever.

I picked up one of these iclips a couple of months ago & not used anything else since.

Master
    I already have a Secrid but I have just ordered this as after watching it on a video it is brilliant and will give me the choice of something even less bulky than the Secrid

http://www.trove.cc/collections/trov...allet-explorer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    I picked up one of these iclips a couple of months ago & not used anything else since.
    Been looking to replace a trifold wallet for front pocket carry. I carry cash and cards so thinking about one of these.

Only drawback I can see is no space for receipts photo etc

Ian.

Master
    I've been inspired by this thread to have a wallet clear out. I'm still using the same fairly normal wallet, but by ditch all the cards I never (or very rarely) use I must have lopped a good inch off the width

I bought this secrID one and I must say its poor quality.

https://www.secrid.com/product/id/4/...-vintage-brown

Its essentially held together with glue, I may ask for a refund.
    Last edited by hicksmat; 23rd February 2016 at 14:11.

Just seen that these guys actually reported on *another* Kickstarter I backed a couple of years ago - the Acre Supply Flip Wallet (my current slimline).

They've even created a homage to the Secrid wallet!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Secrid-wal...sAAOSwFqJWqLqv

Master
    The Secrid slim wallet wears really well as I have had one for quite a while now and it is superb but from this thread I just bought that funky little Trove wallet and it arrived today and I must say it is fantastic quality and mine is the blue and orange one and is even smaller that the Secrid so I will use both wallets as the Trove is perfect if you need something really small and it is really small

stocard off the app store is what you want and its free.

Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    stocard off the app store is what you want and its free.
    Second that. I tried the KeyRing app and it was putting funny characters in the barcode. The StoCard app just works.

I think I had stocard but moved to Loyalive which I find much better.

Damn you all! I wish that I had never seen this thread...

Top: Mala Leather Coin Purse (bought with the intention of removing coins from my wallet)

Bottom (left to right)

Hansson trifold large wallet - space for 15 cards plus 2 note pockets plus a zipped coin opouch plus an ID/driver's licence window plus a couple of other pockets - Massive!

Hansson trifold dollar - space for 9 cards (a couple more at a pinch), zipped coin pouch, ID pocket, notes pocket and another couple of pockets. about an inch and a half thick when fully loaded :-(

Secrid twinwallet - first attempt at slimming down (and I'll probably use this one quite a bit - when I need the card space) - pretty successful and has received positive comments from people.

Secrid cardslide - currently testing and will probably be my weekday wallet (when I don't need some of the other cards). In the picture it is loaded with 6 cards, £35 notes about £5 in coins and a coffee shop card (one that gets stamped on use).

Loft "Wolyt" - This might be a step too far but I aspire to something this size.

I've another three on order and will update after a few weeks/months of testing.

I'm using a combination of Stocard and Loyalive to reduce the load - tests continue.

Cheers,

MarkC

Craftsman
    These look pretty nifty...Good reviews too. Anyone got one?

https://www.ridgewallet.com/collecti...p-all-products

Craftsman

So for those with wallets slimmer than the Secrid, do their slim profiles do any damage to the cards?

It seems like you would need to pack the cards pretty closely and tightly together in order to achieve such a small profile but I'm wondering if that doesn't cause some sort of abrasion on things like the card chips or magnetic strips.

I've used slim wallets for a couple of years with no adverse effect on the cards other than the numbers rubbing out a bit.

I've been looking for a new wallet for a while and on the strength of this thread have ordered a Secrid Slimwallett. I know it won't suit for carrying multiple currencies for overseas travel but for everyday UK use it should do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I've been looking for a new wallet for a while and on the strength of this thread have ordered a Secrid Slim Wallet. I know it won't suit for carrying multiple currencies for overseas travel but for everyday UK use it should do nicely.

So, a few days in with the Secrid Slim Wallet. I have to say that so far I like it but it will take a little while to get used to it and not carrying around everything. A few observations:

- It is small and appears very well made.
    - The aluminium card holder works extremely well and always generates comment when used in public.
    - The two card slots in the leather folding section outside the aluminium card holder seem intuitively most suitable for the most commonly used cards. However, there's no RFID protection here.
    - There is very little room for cash notes. Not a major issue when at home but unsuitable for travelling.
    - I was carrying around cards that I had never had to use (Supermarket loyalty card - I use the app; hotel reward scheme cards etc.) and so were removed and put in a spare credit card wallet. I have saved them all in an iPhone app - Key Ring.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    I've used slim wallets for a couple of years with no adverse effect on the cards other than the numbers rubbing out a bit.
    Thanks! To be fair the same thing happens to my cards with 'regular' wallets so good to know,
    Might buy myself one of the Troves.
    Last edited by Rob777; 18th February 2016 at 19:09. Reason: 1 x typo

Master
    Been using the secrid for about 2 weeks now, as a result of this thread; specifically the one pictured below.

I have to say, it has really been a revelation. It holds so much more than you'd think it could, and is so compact. It's solid and substantial without being at all bulky. I LOVE how the cards slide out using the lever mechanism. It seems to be what I have always been looking for, and didnt know existed!

A BIG thanks to the OP in this thread!

Craftsman
    I'm currently using the secrid but swap between this brand which is quite easy to use. I saw these when they were a kick starter a few years ago .

http://www.ainste.com/

Craftsman
    Also just in case people haven't seen it, this site has an amazing selection if ideas for minimal wallets knives and gadgets of all types .
    Slippery slope!
    http://everydaycarry.com/

Inspired by this thread I have purchased a Loft of Cambie wallet.

I usually use a Bellroy Slim Note which I thought was slim but these are in a different league! It is tiny and forced me to slim down even further.

It seems strange as it feels like I don't have my wallet on me as I can't really feel it in my pocket and I am worried I have lost it! I am sure this is just a feeling that will go once I get use to the wallet. Also I not sure if I like having to fold up my notes and having them on the outside. Again just seems strange.

I will give it a go for a month and see how I get on and whether I go back to a more traditional wallet like my Bellroy