closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

Inspired by this thread I have purchased a Loft of Cambie wallet.

I usually use a Bellroy Slim Note which I thought was slim but these are in a different league! It is tiny and forced me to slim down even further.

It seems strange as it feels like I don't have my wallet on me as I can't really feel it in my pocket and I am worried I have lost it! I am sure this is just a feeling that will go once I get use to the wallet. Also I not sure if I like having to fold up my notes and having them on the outside. Again just seems strange.

I will give it a go for a month and see how I get on and whether I go back to a more traditional wallet like my Bellroy

Great thread, thank you. Inspired as well, I've just found a Secrid mini wallet (the one with the fastener) in original dark brown in a local indie department store. Best of all I had a gift voucher from Xmas and I've just taken a pot of change to the Coinstar so the whole thing cost me a tenner today. Result.

Thanks again for the thread.

First watches, then multi-tools now a collection of wallets!!!

The Secrid is rather good tho with the way the cards are staggered when ejected and now I can carry my Oyster and bank cards together. Scratches a bit easy at the moment but I understand it's the wax layer so it should have a more uniform look with age. Still a bit thick, but not as thick as the wallet it replaced, hence I got the Cambie. In 2 minds about the Trove, the cards are a bit of a pain to get out if they are in the middle pocket.

Master
    Been using the secrid for about 2 weeks now, as a result of this thread; specifically the one pictured below.

I have to say, it has really been a revelation. It holds so much more than you'd think it could, and is so compact. It's solid and substantial without being at all bulky. I LOVE how the cards slide out using the lever mechanism. It seems to be what I have always been looking for, and didnt know existed!

A BIG thanks to the OP in this thread!

Craftsman
    I'm currently using the secrid but swap between this brand which is quite easy to use. I saw these when they were a kick starter a few years ago .

http://www.ainste.com/

Craftsman
    Also just in case people haven't seen it, this site has an amazing selection if ideas for minimal wallets knives and gadgets of all types .
    Slippery slope!
    http://everydaycarry.com/

It's that site that got me into watches in the first place! It's got a lot to answer for.

Journeyman
    Slim down your wallet? Give it to your significant other, it'll come back much slimmer

I like Dalvey products, used one for about 10 years now. It is getting a bit scruffy but, feels nice and soft and still works well

http://www.dalvey.com/credit-card-ca...00411?___SID=U

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I've been looking for a new wallet for a while and on the strength of this thread have ordered a Secrid Slim Wallet. I know it won't suit for carrying multiple currencies for overseas travel but for everyday UK use it should do nicely.

So, a few days in with the Secrid Slim Wallet. I have to say that so far I like it but it will take a little while to get used to it and not carrying around everything. A few observations:

- It is small and appears very well made.
    - The aluminium card holder works extremely well and always generates comment when used in public.
    - The two card slots in the leather folding section outside the aluminium card holder seem intuitively most suitable for the most commonly used cards. However, there's no RFID protection here.
    - There is very little room for cash notes. Not a major issue when at home but unsuitable for travelling.
    - I was carrying around cards that I had never had to use (Supermarket loyalty card - I use the app; hotel reward scheme cards etc.) and so were removed and put in a spare credit card wallet. I have saved them all in an iPhone app - Key Ring.

Craftsman
    Received this today...

Seems very well made. Clearly designed for US Dollar bills though. Had to fold the UK notes once more otherwise they hang over the edge.

Very easy to access the cards and they slide in easily as well due to the beveled edge. The elastic on the sides is quite strong so little chance of the cards slipping out by accident. It can hold up to 15 cards and blocks RFID.

You can replace the elastic if need be and that is why the torx screwdriver is provided.

The money clip is quite strong. You can also get the wallet with a simple elastic band going from end to end which you can slide folded notes in.

Not bad but not brilliant either. I'll give it a month if use to see how I get on with it. If I don't like it I'll give the Secrid a try.

Looks good, can you remove the belt clip, that adds bulk and there's no way I'd want that clipped to my belt.

@ Watchfreek - Sort yourself out with the KeyRing app and you'll be able to ditch quite a few of those cards I'd wager.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I bought this secrID one and I must say its poor quality.

https://www.secrid.com/product/id/4/...-vintage-brown

Its essentially held together with glue, I may ask for a refund.
    Last edited by hicksmat; 23rd February 2016 at 14:11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Looks good, can you remove the belt clip, that adds bulk and there's no way I'd want that clipped to my belt.
    Hi,

It's a money clip to hold notes not a belt clip. You can buy the wallet with a simple elastic strap that can accommodate notes too which reduces the bulk from the money clip quite significantly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    @ Watchfreek - Sort yourself out with the KeyRing app and you'll be able to ditch quite a few of those cards I'd wager.
    Thanks... I did try it but it seems quite US centric. Perhaps I will give it another go.

stocard off the app store is what you want and its free.

Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    stocard off the app store is what you want and its free.
    Second that. I tried the KeyRing app and it was putting funny characters in the barcode. The StoCard app just works.

I think I had stocard but moved to Loyalive which I find much better.

Damn you all! I wish that I had never seen this thread...

Top: Mala Leather Coin Purse (bought with the intention of removing coins from my wallet)

Bottom (left to right)

Hansson trifold large wallet - space for 15 cards plus 2 note pockets plus a zipped coin opouch plus an ID/driver's licence window plus a couple of other pockets - Massive!

Hansson trifold dollar - space for 9 cards (a couple more at a pinch), zipped coin pouch, ID pocket, notes pocket and another couple of pockets. about an inch and a half thick when fully loaded :-(

Secrid twinwallet - first attempt at slimming down (and I'll probably use this one quite a bit - when I need the card space) - pretty successful and has received positive comments from people.

Secrid cardslide - currently testing and will probably be my weekday wallet (when I don't need some of the other cards). In the picture it is loaded with 6 cards, £35 notes about £5 in coins and a coffee shop card (one that gets stamped on use).

Loft "Wolyt" - This might be a step too far but I aspire to something this size.

I've another three on order and will update after a few weeks/months of testing.

I'm using a combination of Stocard and Loyalive to reduce the load - tests continue.

Cheers,

MarkC

Master
    My cambie loft arrived yesterday as a result of this thread. I am very impressed for the price and will see how it goes, my only concern is that it is so minimal I may lose it.

I went from a "coin carrying" person to having a "cashless policy" about a year ago. Carrying money is so 20th century - if ever I end up with a note or change for some unavoidable reason, I try and get rid of it as quick as I can. Money and coins have no place in my life!

Anyway, back to the wallets, I am fully subscribed to minimal carry. I use Loyalive App to reduce store cards and have a second card wallet that I carry when going shopping.

I started with All-Ett on recommendation from the forum. Not bad. Whatever you do, don't opt for the nylon version...it may be thin but it sounds like you are carrying your cards around in a crisp packet. Not cool. The problem with All Ett is although it's thin, t's still quite big. It does carry a lot of cards though.

Before Christmas, I bought an i-clip...initially it feels a bit cheap/plasticky, but actually its really sturdy and extremely functional. I can often slide significant cards out of it while in my pocket on feel. Functionality beats all of the other wallets I've had. The only negative is that it can look a bit cheap.

Just received the Cambie Loft yesterday. This is really good. Stylish, very thin and compact, I'm really loving it. The only thing that i-clip has over this is ease of use.

My recommendation would be either i-clip or Loft (both about the same price point).

Generally, I now only carry my phone. Apple Pay is seen as a gimmick by some, but day to day I find it more than enough to get by.

After "slimming down", I decided to "fatten up".
    Got the "secrid twin".

Craftsman
    Something else I didn't realise I needed until I visited this forum but these wallets look so cool. I couldn't decide between Loft of Cambie Wolyt (black/brown) and Secrid mini wallet (vintage cognac) so I've ordered both.

Off this thread, I got a Secrid Brown Amazon wallet - very happy with it, and I find myself clicking with the card mechanism way too much! Recommend it for anyone in two minds....

Charles Ford stock Secrid and have 10% off using discount code CFORDGA01 if anyone's in two minds.

http://www.charlesfordlondon.com/wal...-purses/secrid

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neil62 View Post
    I couldn't decide between Loft of Cambie Wolyt (black/brown) and Secrid mini wallet (vintage cognac) so I've ordered both.
    oh, what the hell, ordered the Trove Explorer too after watching the video.

Master
    My LoC arrived but I'm exchanging for the Cobalt/Brown one as prefer that colour. So now have to wait for the replacement to arrive...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Charles Ford stock Secrid and have 10% off using discount code CFORDGA01 if anyone's in two minds.
    Still cheaper from Slim Wallet Junkie if you use their 10% discount code: GOONTHEN

Still cheaper from Slim Wallet Junkie if you use their 10% discount code: GOONTHEN

No it isn't. The Amazon in brown that I ordered, £54 on SWJ and £49.95 on CF.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    My LoC arrived but I'm exchanging for the Cobalt/Brown one as prefer that colour. So now have to wait for the replacement to arrive...
    Cobalt/Brown is my favourite colour combination too, but out of stock :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    No it isn't. The Amazon in brown that I ordered, £54 on SWJ and £49.95 on CF.
    I stand corrected, the Amazon versions are cheaper on CF but all the others are cheaper on SWJ. The CF website is pants though, displaying wrong photos against the products.

Master
    Cobalt/Brown is my favourite colour combination too, but out of stock :(
    They should be back in stock in a week or so...

Craftsman
    The CF website is pants though, displaying wrong photos against the products.

You might be able to store all your cards in this one but it's a bit of a squeeze to get in your jeans pocket!

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, I'm now down to this:

A Secrid mini wallet in vintage chocolate brown and it's pretty good so far.

I swap a couple of cards over at weekends (staff card and sports centre card go out and a couple of others go in), it has room for the six cards I use plus a few coffee cards (ink stamp type, plus some notes, receipts (clear out at the end of each day) and £4-£5 in coins.

Sadly - for I am sad - I also have a Kisetsu Natsu on order and I backed the Micro Wallet Kickstarter ('cos it looked ace!).

I'm thinking that the Kisetsu is about as far as I can take this new obsession (tried the Wolyt - can't get by without coins) as it has a coin slot as well as space for cards and notes.

The Micro Wallet does look too cool for school though and I really hope they deliver.

Thanks again to everyone here for helping me slim down my wallet - by making me spend all my money!

Cheers,

Mark C

Anyone with a secrid, can you confirm the number of cards it will hold, their website says 6 flat or 4 embossed?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Anyone with a secrid, can you confirm the number of cards it will hold, their website says 6 flat or 4 embossed?
    I find it holds 5 and they push up without sticking and as debit and credit cards are embossed 5 is the maximum it will hold and work properly, you can squeeze 6 in but it just isn't right.

4 embossed cards fit in the holder.
    Last edited by andy tims; 29th February 2016 at 23:19.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

In the card holder piece, I have 4 embossed (the numbers facing each other, helps to maximise the space) plus 1 non-embossed. There are also 2 pockets in the mini wallets, each takes 1 card (maybe 2 at a push in one of them).

Arkin, makers of the Flip posted above, have a new version available for pre-order: http://www.arkinsupply.com/shop/black-flip-wallet/

Annoyingly, they also have it on Kickstarter.

When did KS become just a place to sell stuff you were already making (whether wallets, watches, or whatever)?

Been using the very simple E8 wallet from Elephant wallet going on 3 years now. Not the greatest if you carry lots of cash around, but nowadays I very rarely do.

Craftsman
    My Secrid slim wallet arrived yesterday. The card holder COMFORTABLY takes the following card combinations:
    - 4 embossed and 1 flat
    - 3 embossed and 2 flat
    - 2 embossed and 4 flat (this is what I will store)
    - 1 embossed and 5 flat
    - 6 flat

The wallet also holds two further cards, embossed or flat, in the leather pockets.

It's tiny and awesome!
    Last edited by neil62; 1st March 2016 at 17:36.

It might be awesome if it held my pink drivers licence in its plastic wallet, but that's too big and I won't swap to a photo licence until I have to. You young 'uns: too smart by half!

I have mine loaded with 2 embossed and 4 flat - it works perfectly.

I tried to swap a flat for a third embossed - no joy, so that is the limit I think.

Cheers,

Mark C

Well, my Kisetsu Natsu has arrived and... it's pretty good:

Loaded with 4 plastic cards, a coffee card, £30 in notes and £4 or so in coins (plus a receipt).

Impressed so far.

Cheers,

Mark C

Damn this forum (see also What has this forum 'made' you buy?). I never thought I'd cave in to peer pressure and buy one of these, but mysteriously, I'm now the owner of a Secrid MiniWallet. However it happened, I'm very impressed! It happily holds a bank card, credit card, company credit card, driving licence, loyalty card, travelcard, club membership card, and about £100 in notes (surely more than enough for most purposes). The best part is, 90% of the time all I need is my bank card, and I don't even need to open the wallet to get it out!

I'm happily changing over from my old hefty pigskin Saddleback bifold (which, though about four times the size of the Secrid, cost rather less, but never mind. My pocket real estate is precious.)

I'm loving my secrid too. TBH it's a better, more secure way of holding cards than an old floppy leather wallet, even though at first you'd think not as one end is open. I need something to hold my receipts though, the ones you can't chuck in the bin, for business expenses etc. That's all I miss.

Cant find a vintage dark brown one. Sold out

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Cant find a vintage dark brown one. Sold out
    http://www.slimwalletjunkie.com/prod...FUEaGwodP0wA0g