closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSSD-owners, what are your thoughts?

Journeyman

DSSD-owners, what are your thoughts?

Hi all,

for you who own and have owned the DSSD, how was wearing it as an everyday watch?

I've only tried it on one or two times but it feels as the height of the watch might be a problem (under cuffs, slamming it on stuff etc).

Seems like the 116660 is the only Rolex (stainless) diver that isn't 10-15% down from RRP at the moment.

Haven't worn mine in a fair while. Takes a few days to get used to the weight but isn't uncomfortable. I often wear the DSSD on a RubberB strap which seems to carry the weight of the watch better than the bracelet. If wearing bracelet need to remove the extension link for greater comfort. For me the DSSD is a weekend watch. Prefer the SD4000 for daily wear.

Craftsman
    Recently traded out a sub date for an incoming DSSD at £5.5k Delighted with the changeover tho' the 14060 still gets more wrist-time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Prob my fave in my collection

Height and weight does not bother me - intact I really like the weight!!

I usually wear mine for a few weeks usually before rotating

Here a shot of mine today

They are heavy but I like that,due to there height it's easy to knock it on things,but I'm glad I tried one,go for it

Never clattered my DSSD on anything. The size and weight don't bother me at all, and it soon feels just like any other watch.
    I have recently sold most of my top end watches, yet the DSSD is the only survivor of a major cull

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would love to try the Deep Blue version but I guess standard DSSD goes for about 5-5.5K used so at the mo its not worth the 2.5K upgrade for a dial change!!!!!

I've tried to love the DSSD but, to date, have failed totally!

Have had it on my wrist a number of times with cash/card ready ready to go but each time I get it on my (7.25") wrist I just cannot get on with the heft/profile and weight. I know that experienced DSSD owners will say you need to give it time (tried that, 1 hour in an AD) or remove the drivers extension (been there, done that) or on Rubber B (not, yet, been there..) but as yet it doesn't seem for me. Whereas I love my PAM 90 and the way it wears which is, in the ball park, a similar amount of real estate on the wrist as a DSSD.

As an aside I saw the spec of the SD4000 before it came out and was utterly sold as my perfect daily watch to wear. But on putting in on - again multiple times - I was woefully unimpressed with the S/S "puck" sat on my wrist.......so walked and was happy about the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I've tried to love the DSSD but, to date, have failed totally!

Have had it on my wrist a number of times with cash/card ready ready to go but each time I get it on my (7.25") wrist I just cannot get on with the heft/profile and weight. I know that experienced DSSD owners will say you need to give it time (tried that, 1 hour in an AD) or remove the drivers extension (been there, done that) or on Rubber B (not, yet, been there..) but as yet it doesn't seem for me. Whereas I love my PAM 90 and the way it wears which is, in the ball park, a similar amount of real estate on the wrist as a DSSD.

As an aside I saw the spec of the SD4000 before it came out and was utterly sold as my perfect daily watch to wear. But on putting in on - again multiple times - I was woefully unimpressed with the S/S "puck" sat on my wrist.......so walked and was happy about the decision.
    I resisted it for 5 years, always assuming it would be too big for my 6.25" wrist. Tried one on briefly a few years ago and that seemed to confirm my suspicions. However, eventually I had to go for it as I knew it was the watch I most wanted. So I bought one on the forum and absolutely loved every minute of it! It's an amazing watch.

Yes it's thick and heavy but daily wear over several months made that far less noticeable than a quick try on can tell you. I had it as my only watch for a few months and absolutely loved it, only sold it to get a Grail.

Grab one at a good price off SC and wear it for a good while, if it doesn't work for you, just flip it for no loss - the wrist size thing is only a problem if you let it be one. IME it's also influenced by what you've been wearing a lot before you try the DSSD. I had the same issue with the IWC Big Pilot. When I tried it after wearing a Reverso for some time, it seemed far too big for me so I passed it up. Then I got a Panerai 44mm Luminor and wore that for a few months. Tried on the Big Pilot again and that time it felt wearable and I've got one on the way now.

Although I've owned one for a year, I've not yet got around actually wearing it; even on my 7 7/8" wrist, it's inevitably a quick look followed by a "nah".

While some elements are fantastic, particularly the brilliant clasp, I simply don't have much need for 3900 m of water resistance and its associated bulk.

Journeyman
    +1 on wanting the blue DSSD, too expensive however.

+1 on the new SD being unimpressive, was very underwhelmed when trying it on.

How much of a price deduction would you require to buy a DSSD without papers (with boxes)?

Master
    Ex-owner here, and would say that because of it's amazing clasp adjustment mechanism the Deep Sea is fantastically wearable even on the smallest wrists. Mrs C used to wear mine all the time and she's got even skinnier wrists than me. 😂

Entirely wearable with the added advantage of not being immediately recognizable as a Rolex.
    The Glidelock allows micro adjustment on the fly to suit weather and activities.

Master
    Lovely watch but probably not a daily wearer if that means it's your only watch and it certainly doesn't tick all boxes.

Depends on what you want it to be on a daily basis?

It's certainly no dress watch and not the best for sitting under a shirt cuff either.

I've had two and think they're certainly a great watch to have in your collection.

Very individual thing and as one would expect answers would be all over the place and I am sure if you look through older threads on the subject, you would be none the wiser. For me, height and weight is not an issue.
    You have to try and decide for yourself.

Had one a while back hated it thought it was big heavy and clunky, bought one recently a month ago and totally get them now and love the deepea "big is beautiful" lol

Master
    Taste is personal.

Commercial experience is more empirical. Many sectors of the trade remain awash with DSSD; service and parts costs are high and prices are weak.

I have every reason (well, seven) to wish it were not so, but it is.

If you want one, buy well !

H

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Taste is personal.

Commercial experience is more empirical. Many sectors of the trade remain awash with DSSD; service and parts costs are high and prices are weak.

H
    Any opinion if the new Blue version will eventually suffer the same fate once the hype wears off?

Master
    I wore one every day for a while. I don't think it's ideal but it's not inconvenient either. Heavier than most but well balanced and the domed crystal is fantastic. The text around the rehaut only looks large in photos, but gives a bit more "depth" to the design (no pun intended). The SDc 4000 is my favourite though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Any opinion if the new Blue version will eventually suffer the same fate once the hype wears off?
    Demand remains ahead of supply, which will give this one some legs for a while yet.

If it is discontinued, values will be sustained or even increase.

If it remains available for many more years then I would expect an accelerating trail-off, especially when parts and service costs begin to apply.

I couldn't say what will happen, but would expect values to remain strong in the short term at least, and if they do fall it will be slow and steady enough for watch forum regulars to see the exit signs in good time.

It has been claimed that the dial allowed Rolex to prop up sales of a model that was stalled by the arrival of the more practical 116600. Plausible!

H

I tried one on and had an involuntary chuckle. Way too big, too much dial text. If Rolex wasn't on the dial very few here would bother with it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I tried one on and had an involuntary chuckle. Way too big, too much dial text. If Rolex wasn't on the dial very few here would bother with it IMO.
    The OP asked current and present owner to comment on its wearability.
    But, I guess your Pavlovian reflex kicked in.
    He did not ask people who had 'tried' it on or your views about Rolex or your opinions about people who wear Rolex.
    Regardless, thanks for your another 'sterling' contribution on a Rolex/Swiss watch thread.

I do think the DSSD gets an unfair slagging off over it's size. Although the DSSD is large for a Rolex it certainly isn't unusually large compared to the competition. Omega, Panerai, Breitling, IWC all make larger models without generating any of the controversy that this Rolex does.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 28th January 2016 at 08:07.

Blog Entries
    Picking mine up today 

I had a NDc which I was fine with but about 6 months ago I bought a new Superocean 44mm which is the same size and weight as the DSSD which hasn't left my wrist since, this convinced me that I could live with a DSSD so all excited about picking it up, problem is the Superocean will probably be up for sale now as they are very similar and can't see it getting much wrist time now.
    Last edited by Frankie169; 28th January 2016 at 07:57.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

He did not ask people who had 'tried' it on or your views about Rolex or your opinions about people who wear Rolex.
    Regardless, thanks for your another 'sterling' contribution on a Rolex/Swiss watch thread.
    Fantastic stuff , really well done.

I have owned one for 4 years and to be honest I don't find it that comfortable. Its a little top heavy and it does struggle to fit under the cuff. I find the sub ceramic sooooo much more comfortable that it gets worn 100 times more often.

I wear mine for weeks on end, other than working on cars etc I don't even bother taking it off, I prefer the Rubber B to the bracelet, the bracelet does take a bit of playing with to get the perfect length but the Rubber B is more comfortable on my 7.5 inch wrist, it is a great watch and is definitely not top heavy, I have had mine since 2009 and don't plan to get rid of it.

There is no getting away from its size, and by that I only mean its thickness. The back of the case can make it sit quite high on my wrist, excaggerating the chunky style and thick body, but I like it.
    The strap is SO comfortable that it makes it a very comfortable watch for me to wear. (My divers extension has been removed).

I have worn it with double-cuff shirts and it is slightly too lumpy for that if you want it as a daily wearer with more formal outfits. I love mine and even though I don't wear it that often, I cant bring myself to sell it either.
    I do keep looking at the SD4000 though and would like to see them both side by side (on my own wrist) to see which I prefer.

I think it looks much nicer in the flesh that in photos, as most photos seem to make the fine details really stand out, which are much more subtle in the flesh.

I'm a 16600 fan and was interested in being a Sea Dweller owner at the time. It being Swiss didn't dissuade me at all.

Interesting that there are so many posters who are less than positive about the comfort of the DSSD (including those that have switched to the rubber B) and have bought and sold a couple of times. I tried one on when they were first launched. At the time I was wearing a 44mm Pam 111 and in comparison the DSSD wore much larger - which surprised me. I've seen a few on peoples wrists and on each occasion the proportions somehow looked a bit odd. Fair enough, I've never owned one but it does seem to be a much-flipped watch in the Rolex stable, with most owners saying they are uncomfortable to wear.

Craftsman
    I bought a DSSD in 2010 and never really got to grips with it. One hell of a watch, hugely over engineered and very much, in my mind, almost a demonstration of what Rolex can acheive.

Wore it for a week on holiday and can't remember wearing it since. No real reason why as it wears well, you very soon get used to the weight etc. just seem to prefer my seadweller as an everyday watch.

Why haven't I sold it then? Everytime I think about selling I remember back to the late 1970's when I was buying my first Rolex (a seadweller). The deal I got was unbelievable as at the time they couldn't give them away and as for a Milgaus they were almost paying you to take it off their hands.

Most of the very desirable sports Rolex models from the past all seem to have been unpopular in their day. Can't help feeling that the DSSD may go the same way.

Neil
    Last edited by Neil; 28th January 2016 at 11:15.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Interesting that there are so many posters who are less than positive about the comfort of the DSSD (including those that have switched to the rubber B) and have bought and sold a couple of times. I tried one on when they were first launched. At the time I was wearing a 44mm Pam 111 and in comparison the DSSD wore much larger - which surprised me. I've seen a few on peoples wrists and on each occasion the proportions somehow looked a bit odd. Fair enough, I've never owned one but it does seem to be a much-flipped watch in the Rolex stable, with most owners saying they are uncomfortable to wear.
    Indeed, I find it works better as a proof of concept than it does for actually wearing.

Given how strong the crystal (and everything else) has to be to withstand the pressure exerted by a 3900 m column of seawater plus a 25% safety factor — which is about 500 bar, or ≈ 7000 psi — I'm surprised that the watch isn't any thicker than it is. Here's the 116660's crystal comapred to the 300-m 116610's:

Achieving thirteen times the Submariner's pressure rating with only a 40% increase in overall thickness is noteworthy, even if the additional water resistance is utterly pointless in real life. It's nice to at least know that the extra bulk isn't just occupied by air and a movement spacer.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ That is quite a striking comparison!

^
    Indeed, the hands-on experience with a disassembled DSSD certainly left an impression. There ain't much unused space in that case.

Journeyman
    Taste is personal.

H
    Didn't realize that servicing a DSSD was more expensive than a 116610... How much more expensive is a "usual" service?

Journeyman
    WOW! Didn't realize that the crystal thickness differed that much.

I've had and flipped three DSSD in the past and always regretted it. When bought second hand, they represent amazing value given that they are £8050 new.

Hi , Don't post much but here goes. bought a new Deep Blue last nov and wear it at weekends and holidays and thoroughly love it,really comfortable on 7.5 inch wrist and does not give me the feeling of being a chore to wear. The OP asks about wearability and wonder what some of the naysayers do for a living ? As some are saying its too heavy etc ,A lot of people in the manual trades are used to using tools and have a dexterity that desk divers do not have, this may be a factor in your decision......

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    I do think the DSSD gets an unfair slagging off over it's size. Although the DSSD is large for a Rolex it certainly isn't unusually large compared to the competition. Omega, Panerai, Breitling, IWC all make larger models without generating any of the controversy that this Rolex does.
    Agree entirely with this. It is odd how what is a 44mm watch gets so much attention and comment about it being too big when you look at other brands. Anyway, I love my DSSD Blue and having worn it now for 6 months have no regrets at all. I rotate on occasion but this gets the most wrist time.

Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find it is just as comfy as my subs etc due to the glide lock which gives absolute precision on the fit which no other Rolex offers

I have had mine for a few years now and even though I have relatively small wrists I don't find it too big or heavy at all. I used to wear it all the time but as I have added watches to my collection I find I wear it slightly less as it is a little big for wearing under a shirt and it stands out quite a lot. I still love it every time I put it on and I don't see myself ever parting with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kbw- View Post
    Didn't realize that servicing a DSSD was more expensive than a 116610... How much more expensive is a "usual" service?
    This is interesting, does anyone know the rough service cost differences of say the;

116610LN

hi There

I have had one now for about 3 years. It's the only current Rolex I like as it doesn't have a flat glass or the 'beady eye'. Wears absolutely fine and as others have said after a few days it's no more noticeable (to me) than any other large SS diver

I did look at an SD4000 not long ago as everyone here seems to like them, but to me it's way to fussy with that very busy bezel as well as busy dial (yes, DSSD has war and peace on the dial as well, but with the very deep glass this just fades a bit into the background)

Just my ha'pennys worth

Regards

Tim

^
    Well, that's certainly the first time I've seen anyone claim that the Deepsea's design is less busy than the Sea-Dweller's. :)

Taste is personal.

H
    An interesting thread, with much to consider (I have been toying with the idea of trading my SubC for a DSSD for a while now, and this thread means I feel more informed but less sure - thank to all who contributed) - Hayward, what do you mean by "buy well" when is comes to the DSSD please? Thanks in advance .....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    Hayward, what do you mean by "buy well" when is comes to the DSSD please? Thanks in advance .....
    He probably means they can be bought for a cracking price especially on the used market. I think ive seen them on sales corner as low as 5K which is over 3K saving from new.

When I bought one a few years ago my AD gave me a discount without asking - it was one of the easier models to get a discount as I guess they are an acquired taste (not sure if still is as I have not bought a Rolex in ages)

Blog Entries
    Well picked mine up today (2013 Mark II dial) very happy with it and being use to wearing a 44mm superocean find that it wears very similar . I don't really notice the weight much as the SO is no light weight so a big thumbs up from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    An interesting thread, with much to consider Hayward, what do you mean by "buy well" when is comes to the DSSD please? Thanks in advance .....
    It is Haywood and Mr.Milton for you 😄😄

Kidding aside, as someone said they can be had at a significant discount preowned and makes sense to go that way.

It is Haywood and Mr.Milton for you 

Kidding aside, as someone said they can be had at a significant discount preowned and makes sense to go that way.
    Oops .... apologies ....

Master
    Call me what you like, it's not like I'm an Explorer 1 :-)

When I say "buy well," in this instance I mean not only that you should ensure the price is keen (and if you shake the tree there are many available), but also that you reject anything less than excellent.

Light marks to the metal parts are mostly cosmetic and easily restored (unless to the crown). A chipped or scratched glass will catch the eye against the black dial and can (like that crown) be replaced only in conjunction with a Rolex service. It's the same with bezel scratches and marks (yes, it happens even to ceramic) and the bezel pip in particular. That projecting dot is easily cracked while its relatively delicate metal rim is often bruised, dented or gouged. As an integral part of the bezel it cannot be replaced without significant expense, yet damage catches the eye because of its prominence.

There being such a choice available, this is one model where I would perhaps suggest that you hold out for one with papers etc. Oh, and an English booklet is worth checking for, as many shipped in by grey dealers will be found with Italian or Spanish booklets. Not on, in my book.

The costs of service of ANY of these sports models is growing expensive now, but the DeepSea is in my view especially likely to be an increasingly expensive prospect to maintain. That being said, it doesn't make sense to buy a ropy one privately for £5k if you can get a much better, complete set with a good warranty from a dealer for a worthwhile chunk under £6k.

Haywood. Or whatever.