closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Porsche Boxster 718...thoughts ?

981 hold their value

I assume with the new Turbo versions the last 981 series will really hold their value. I left from having an E92 M3 because the M4 was turbo charged. I now have an S8 which although is still a twin turbo it is at least mated to a V8.

Master
    Having had a 987 S, I was interested in the 718 and watched the Autocar review/read the threads etc.

Not a big fan really, certainly don't like the engine noise even with the sports exhaust (that is one of the things I most liked about mine), performance and economy etc are good (but I wasn't that disappointed with mine and I am sure the 981 would be better) and whilst I know Boxster styling in general is polarising, I genuinely think it looks worse than previous generations.

One tested on Pistonheads was £62k IIRC and the one in Autotrader possible more as it has PCCB's. I think my Dad bought a new 2.7 in 2001 for around £33k. Quite a lot of other desirable options for that or less I would say.

I've had 2 986-series Boxsters, a 2.5 in 1999 which I then traded for an S 3.2 in 2002. This is one car that I really miss. Great handling, more than adequate performance and practicality, all wrapped up in an attractive shape and modestly-sized. Wringing out that flat-6 to the red line with the top down never lost its enjoyment or appeal. The 986 facelift brought a bit more power and a few changes (clear indicators a huge improvement) but I felt that the design touches - fins in the front bumper intakes and the blades either side of the exhaust were unnecessary and added a fussiness to what had previously been a very clean design. A friend still has his 986.1 S, bought new in 2001, and I still think it's a pretty little thing in Seal Grey and on the standard S 17" wheels.

Although the 987 was a better car, I was never completely convinced by the styling, with some of the the curves replaced by angles. The 987.2 facelift improved things, bringing in more integrated rear LED lights and, of course, the DFi engine - a huge improvement over the somewhat-unreliable M96/M86 engines.

The 981 was, however, a revelation: stunning, mini-supercar looks, all the performance you could ever need (the 986S was just begging to be given 300bhp) and a completely cohesive design. Engine woes fixed by the 987.2 model, the Boxster had evolved into the perfect sports car. And now we have the 718 and a down-sized capacity, turbo-charged engine. As many have said, the loss of character is a huge blow, the asking price for what is now a four-cylinder engine seems excessively high and once again, as per previous facelifts and model changes, I'm not convinced by the styling. I can see (and appreciate) the new front wings and headlights. In the right colour, there's a clear resemblance to the 918 Spyder but overall the front has lost some character. It's the back, though, that really grates on me. The 718's rear end is a mess. The accent stripe between the lights is ugly and unnecessary and serves to give the rear deck a step it doesn't really need.

Yet the 981 had the spoiler lip integrated into the rear lights: a beautiful concave shape that mimicked the Carrera GT's rear spoiler. It gave it a pretty and cohesive rear end that was clearly and obviously Porsche.

I'm in my 17th year of Porsche ownership now (I've driven pretty much every model from the last 20 years, I'm currently on my third 911 and have just sold a Cayenne) and I remain perplexed by some of styling decisions made. Take a pretty design and fiddle with it a bit for the facelift, alter the light shape just a hint or add a body-coloured trim piece under the exhaust tips. It's all meddling to my mind. I could grumble all day...

Humbug!
    Last edited by Shakespeare; 6th April 2016 at 14:21.

Master
    I agree. I have owned Porsches for the past 15 years, mostly the same old 944/968 models although in race car form for the past 6 years. Only current models that interest me are the GT3/GT4 cars which I can't afford and couldn't get hold of anyway. Thing is though Porsche success over the past 20 years has been by designing cars that appeal to a broader demographic than the likes of me who loved pretty much all the old cars but either didn't have enough money or enough of us to sustain the old company.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlad View Post
    Honda should have done a replacement for the S2000.

You can set your perpetual calendar by the annual rumour that Honda are developing a replacement for the S2000. No sign of anything other than renderings so far, although Honda sent a delegation to one of the S2000 MegaMeets last year to talk to owners and ask what they would like to see should such a car ever progress beyond the orchestrated rumour stage.

Back to the Boxster - I doubt that the vast majority of typical Boxster owners could tell you how many cylinders their car has, or even where the engine is located.

Master
    That is a bit harsh but its certainly true that comparable cars are stuff like the TT convertible and various cabrio versions of MB and BMW products. For those buyers they now have a car with the mid range punch to match the other German marques, less nice sound but most likely much nicer steering and handling than the comparable German products.

The thing is forums and magazines always like to chuck in comparisons to stuff like the Elise, a decision which I struggle to understand as you couldn't get two more different cars in terms of the intent of the manufacturer, or end use for the typical buyer. The Elise for me has always been a rather unique product just at the sane end of the Caterham type track day/kit car spectrum.

Hate to say it though as a Porsche long termer but I keep checking the adds and prices on the Elise SC from about 08 onwards, I am not looking at Porsches at all and if my race car ever goes that will be the end for me and Porsche. Honestly though I don't think the company gives a stuff any more about real drivers, you only have to see the restricted supply on the 'special' cars to understand that, entirely done to whip up a frenzy and keep the brand at the top of the motoring media.

Master
    I think that the trend to down sized turbo engines is unstoppable.

That said I don't see a problem with the flat four introduced in the new Cayman and Boxster. As for the noise aspect I like my cars to be as quiet as they can be sohave no issue there either.

Master
    Which is just another way of saying you have no interest in sports cars, but would you buy a new turbo flat 4 Porsche? Thing is if they were going for maximum performance for minimum fuss one could understand it but quite the opposite they are trying desperately to try and make the cars appeal to enthusiasts with farty exhausts like a chavved up hot hatch or Subaru.

Master
    The new Cayman is out now too: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/beij...che-718-cayman

As the more driver-oriented car of the two, I wonder how many of these Porsche will sell. I think they'll struggle and the 981 residuals will hold strong, but I guess we'll have to wait and see....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Which is just another way of saying you have no interest in sports cars, but would you buy a new turbo flat 4 Porsche?
    I love spirited tail out driving.
    The old Porsches; 356 Carrera and earlier aircooled sixes are awesome cars which I would LOVE to own but woulkd be too scared to flog.
    Would buy an alloy bodied 718 replica with tickled VW engine.

Although I applaud the new four as a great step towards more sensible, truely sporty characteristics, they are still way too supercar fast, lardy and wide for me to contemplate one.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    The new Cayman is out now too: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/beij...che-718-cayman

As the more driver-oriented car of the two, I wonder how many of these Porsche will sell. I think they'll struggle and the 981 residuals will hold strong, but I guess we'll have to wait and see....
    I think you're being a bit naive to think that Porsche won't sell as many of these as they want to.

Sure SOME people will go "Oh, it's not a proper Porsche, it hasn't got 6 cylinders", but Porsche had that with water cooling and ABS and power steering, but I don't see them struggling to sell cars...

Most people will say "A Cayman is a better sportscar than a TT and less hardship than a Lotus", it doesn't matter if it has 4 or 6 cylinders, the new car will be better than the old one (and if it's not, the NEXT one definitely will be).

I think you may be right that the 981s will have a strong residual value, but in 10 years time they'll just be old, slow sportscars with their own appeal (if we're actually allowed to drive cars ourselves by then...).

M.

Master
    Good points. The mainstream buyer won't care about 4-pot bangers for sure - the poseur/badge buyer will always buy a Boxster, regardless of engine. The Cayman has always been the petrol head choice though, and hasn't sold in the numbers expected anyway, so I think it'll suffer more than the Boxster from the engine change.

Porsche themselves thought it would sell better originally and that's why they priced it higher than the Boxster - to maximise profits. That didn't happen which is why they've now positioned it below the Boxster. Cayman and Boxster names will be dropped in the future I think, leaving 718 Coupe and 718 Convertible as their names. Just like the big brother 911.

Time will tell. Sports cars are bought with the heart. not the head, and if your heart doesn't love a Subaru-Cayman then you won't buy one. I certainly won't.

I would never buy a 4 cylinder Porsche, BMW, Mercedes or Audi

You are missing the whole essence of the car otherwise in my opinion.

Master
    Exactly. It's ties in with my thoughts on watches - I want the movement/engine to be tugging at my heart strings. It's an emotional thing.

Otherwise it's just another watch or another car isn't it?

Long ago I learned to be more realistic about how my car gets used. Spirited driving is the exception not the norm. Actually pushing the car to nine tenths very rare. More speed and the finer points of handling balance are less important to me than the emotional intangibles of engine sound and response. With the exceptions of the dull stuff like economy and emissions there is nothing that a 718 would bring me that I would truly appreciate over and above what I get with a 981, namely the silky linear delivery and voice of the flat 6. I'm not interested in the low down torque of the turbo'd 4s (I can get a diesel for that) and even with the best installations there remains a lack of linearity in the power delivery that I don't much like - believe me, I've tried a good few over the years and have really tried to like them (although I do appreciate that I haven't driven a 718).

If you spend all week driving balls out the lighter weight and increased power and torque may outweigh the loss of character - horses for courses.

Of course you may just want a Porsche badge and to tan your bald patch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I would never buy a 4 cylinder Porsche, BMW, Mercedes or Audi

You are missing the whole essence of the car otherwise in my opinion.
    Pistons are for cissies anyway

More seriously, you say that now, as you have a choice, but that might not always be the case...

I'm not sure Audi or Mercedes have that kudos for big numbers of cylinders, though. There have always been plenty of 4 cylinder models in both their ranges - Long before there were more.

Porsche and BMW are quite new brands, but both had lots of 4 cylinder models... They have carved out a reputation for 6+ cylinder engines, but I don't think Audi (especially) or Mercedes (less so, but only recently or in VERY high end models) really have much history there.

I guess you'll be buying American cars in future

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    even with the best installations there remains a lack of linearity in the power delivery that I don't much like - believe me, I've tried a good few over the years and have really tried to like them (although I do appreciate that I haven't driven a 718).
    I'm probably never going to buy a Porsche, Cayman, Panamera or 911, so it's a bit of a moot point perhaps, but I suspect we've seen a step change in the delivery of turbo power in sportscars in the last 2-3 years. This will filter down to more mainstreams cars in the future and the idea of 'lag' will be seen as a bit of an exciting novelty in a few years time. I must admit, when I had my R5 GTT, the lag was part of the charm of the car.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 27th April 2016 at 14:12.

I'm not sure that seeing women driving around Marbella in Boxsters is a bad thing- most of the women I know get the bus.

I'll take a Cayman in Miami blue or Viper green ....thanks

Blog Entries
    I'll take a Cayman in Miami blue or Viper green ....thanks
    ... or lava orange! Sadly, I haven't seen the historical correct colour 'bin liner grey' in the catalog. Porsche is the only manufacturer that can get away with that bland colour!
    I love the new Cayman. And I've said it before: imho, the 4 pot sounds nicer than the old Boxter 6pot.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... or lava orange! Sadly, I haven't seen the historical correct colour 'bin liner grey' in the catalog. Porsche is the only manufacturer that can get away with that bland colour!
    No, they're the only maker who THINK they can get away with it... They're wrong

M.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    No, they're the only maker who THINK they can get away with it... They're wrong

M.

Fiat offers the 500 in it and it looks GREAT.
    Darkish red rag top and WOW!!
    There is one up the road and imo the best color combo for this retro car, albeit the old dull blue comes close.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Sadly, I haven't seen the historical correct colour 'bin liner grey' in the catalog.
    There was a bin liner grey 718 at the launch on Monday in Wolverhampton, and a terrible orangey/red colour!