closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Salt Beef - Updated with the finished article

Master

Salt Beef - Updated with the finished article

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Mrs M got some nice brisket last weekend and we decided to go with the old favourite of boiled beef and carrots, which turned out okay but a touch heavy on the spices in the recipes I kind of followed but the texture of the beef was great, even the next day warmed up in some of the stock and in a sandwich but not quite the salt beef I love.

Today I made the visit to our local butcher and again he had some nice brisket in, and he had some saltpetre knocking around. So home made salt beef is on the cards.

I’ll stick the recipe up after I’ve tried it as the brisket will take about 7 days to brine.

So I give you my .8 KG of brisket, I thought best to start small first time round.

Here’s the brine after boiling to dissolve the sugar and salt and infuse the botanicals.

And the brisket in the brine double bagged with as much air removed as posable ready to live in the fridge and turn daily for the next seven days.

Now I just need to find a local baker that does dark rye and get some good pickles and its boiling day next Saturday. Oy vey such a wait.

For those who have never had or heard of Salt Beef then I'm aiming for the cooked (boiled) brisket to look something like this.

And to make sandwiches like this.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 31st January 2016 at 13:33.

I'm salivating at that last image......

Must try something like this!

Does it have a similar consistency as corned beef?

Looks well nice ;)

Good luck, I have tried twice but it wasn't like the stuff you buy in brick lane etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Must try something like this!

Does it have a similar consistency as corned beef?

Looks well nice ;)
    I'm told you can make corned beef from the leftovers by setting in clarified butter but as there are never any salt beef leftovers in my house I couldn't confirm this

That said one of my fav salt beef bars does a breakfast salt beef hash in a toasted english muffin, which is well nummmmie so I might try that for breakfast next Sunday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Good luck, I have tried twice but it wasn't like the stuff you buy in brick lane etc
    Did you use saltpetre in your brine mix Adrian?

I understand thats the key in getting the deep red colour and helps with the texture.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I'm salivating at that last image......
    And me.

We're having Pot au Feu tonight so brisket seems to be the cut of the day. Good luck with the project and I look forward to the updates.

I thought this was a stupid thread.

Until I saw the last image.

Master
    Anyone in North West London should give B & K Salt beef a try.

http://www.bksaltbeefbar.com/

The Yanks call it corned beef which is another thing entirely

Craftsman
    Used to work near Hatton Garden, many moons ago, and the salt beef bars were (and probably still are) fantastic. With a side order of latkes and gherkins - delicious.

Craftsman
    I've eaten and I'm now hungry again ... this thread demanded pictures but I wish that you hadn't provided them!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post

Well yes and no "Corned beef is a salt-cured beef product. The term comes from the treatment of the meat with large grained rock salt, also called "corns" of salt." from wikipedia.

Craftsman

And if you are in south east London try Monty's Deli, just south of Tower Bridge, think it's only open at weekends (no connection other than as an occasional customer).

http://www.montys-deli.com/

Prompted by this thread I might just treat myself to one of these tomorrow:

Master

+1

Yes, yes and yes...you absolutely must!

This seems to be blasphemous around these parts but I was only mildly impressed with B&K. It sounds silly but for me one of the very best salt beef on rye sandwiches is in Selfridges...

*goes to find bullet-proof vest*

Master
    No your right the bar in Selfridges is good and worth a punt if your in the west end.

I also rate the Beigel Bake at the top end of Brick Lane as a bonus its open 24 hours perfect for a late night snack and the Birleys Salt Beef Bar under One Canada Square in Canary Wharf both worth a try if your ever in those areas

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    This seems to be blasphemous around these parts but I was only mildly impressed with B&K.
    We've been there for a few family outings and we've always been very happy. Their caraway seed bread is also excellent.

This seems to be blasphemous around these parts but I was only mildly impressed with B&K. It sounds silly but for me one of the very best salt beef on rye sandwiches is in Selfridges...

No your right the bar in Selfridges is good and worth a punt if your in the west end.

I also rate the Beigel Bake at the top end of Brick Lane as a bonus its open 24 hours perfect for a late night snack and the Birleys Salt Beef Bar under One Canada Square in Canary Wharf both worth a try if your ever in those areas
    is the bar in selfridges supplied by that deli in st johns wood? (sorry forgotten the name - begins with an A?)

I also acquired my taste for salt beef while working near Hatton Garden.
    Salt beef and melted emmental is a winning combo!

This thread is making me hungry, I love a hot salt beef sandwich.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Blog Entries
    I found a nice pub in London that does a great salt beef sandwich.

I was so taken with it I decided to try making it myself... Until I realised how long it takes.
    So I never did.

Will be interested to read how this one works.

z

Master

I had one in Selfridges over 10 years ago, although very tasty it was pricey £8.

Craftsman

Beigel Bake, Brick Lane is where you pick up real traditional Salt Beef Bagel in London...anytime of day!

We have just finished the salt beef my wife cooked before Christmas. Made to my great-aunt's recipe (she always called it corned beef) it does take on the crumbly texture of corned beef after a few weeks. The use of red rock salt, as well as saltpetre, gives it a pinkish tinge.

Master
    Many years ago I worked in Newport, Gwent, and there was a little sandwich shop that sold salt beef sandwiches laced with Garlic salt. I must have eaten thousands of sandwiches over the years but nothing will ever compete with the salt beef sandwiches from Maria's.

Rob

Master
    I've been turning the brine bags over in the fridge daily and looks like I've got a fresh loaf rye bread sorted for Saturday, just need some good pickle and I'm good to go. I can't wait!

I am now officially drooling!

I also feel like a bit of a pillock for not having found the salt-beef shops around Hatton Garden, as that area was my regular lunchtime walk when I worked just around the corner for a decade!

Craftsman
    many thanks guys - i've made salted beef, using Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's method, twice now and it has been just amazing.

so i nipped out to the local butcher and got a lovely 2.8kg piece of brisket (cut from the fattier end). i'll pop it in brine tomorrow morning, take it out next Wednesday/Thursday evening, soak it in fresh water for 24 hours and then cook it. yum yum yum :)

Master

Salt Beef Update.

Update

The Brisket stayed in the brine, in the fridge for seven days turning it over daily and on Friday afternoon I took it out of the brine and rinsed it off and tied it back into a rolled joint.

Then it goes on to cook….

After about 2.5 hours I took it out and managed not to get a photo of the cooked joint while slicing it… Doh

But we do have a couple of shots of finished sandwiches.

And some of the leftover brisket, this was taken this morning before making hash which is why it looks a little drier that you might expect salt beef to look. But you can see the saltpetre has done its job and given that deep red colour you expect with salt beef.

The taste was as I expected, texture was a bit firmer that normal, so I need to talk with Nick my butcher as I’m not sure if it needed longer in the brine, I think so as right in the centre of the brisket there was an area of grey when cooked which indicates the brine hadn’t fully penetrated the joint. But that said it could also be the end of the brisket (one is fattier than the other, I got from the lean end) and or cooking time. So I have a bit of experimenting to do….

Leftovers
    What to do with them, well there wasn’t enough to make corned beef so salt beef hash was in order.

You shred the beef and mix with fried onion, garlic, chillies and some cold mashed potato.

Make into patties and fry in a lightly oiled pan.

And serve on some toasted English muffins and don’t hold back on the brown sauce!

Recipe / Method

Brining the Brisket

To make the brine:
    This is for .8-1.2 Kg of Beef Brisket if yours is bigger then I’d make double the amount of brine.

150g soft light-brown sugar
    200g coarse sea salt
    2 tsp black peppercorns
    ½ tbsp juniper berries
    4 cloves
    4 bay leaves
    4 sprigs of thyme
    30g saltpetre
    1 tbsp of mustard seeds
    2ltr water
    .8-1.2 Kg of Beef Brisket
    Add all of that to a pan and bring to the boil, boil for around 4-5 mins and then let it cool.

Get the brisket and then take a skewer and prick it to allow the brine to penetrate the meat.

Put the brisket in a large zip lock bag (I double bagged mine) pour over the cooled brine the brisket needs to be totally covered, get out all the air when you seal the bags.

Leave in the fridge for at least 7 days, turning daily (next time I’ll do 10-14 days depending on size.

Cooking the Brisket

After seven days I took it out of the brine and rinsed it off and tied it back into a rolled joint.

I left the brisket in the fridge overnight and the next morning got it out and put it in a pan of cold water to soak for 45 mins while I ran out to the shops to pick up some carrots, leak, onion and celery, and went to pick up my rye breads.

When I got back I changed the water in the pan, the water was quite discoloured in the 45 mins it had soaked for (not sure if this is good or bad), I then added one of each of the following carrots, leak, onion and stick of celery all roughly chopped plus a couple of bay leaves.

Put on the stove and bring to a rapid boil and then turn down to a simmer my .8Kg Brisket cooked for about 2.5 hours in total, when you can run a skewer through it with no resistance then your done, tbh mine could have done with another 30 mins but I had guests waiting.

Take out the brisket and carve serving on rye bread, dark or light or beigel’s (never toasted!) with English mustard and a pickle.

Master
    Well worth the effort. Those pictures have me salivating and I'm off to cook some food.

Nice work, nice thread - that looks really interesting!

Master
    Now that's how to do a TZUK food / recipe thread!

Well done OP!

About to embark on this this evening..

Maybe tomorrow though because I don't have all the ingredients listed for the brine.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    You cannot beat a Brick Lane Salt Beef Bagel, the good of the Gods!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    You cannot beat a Brick Lane Salt Beef Bagel, the good of the Gods!
    What are these Bagel things?
    I’ve only ever seen Beigels there...

What are these Bagel things?
    I’ve only ever seen Beigels there...
    I stand corrected, quite right too, it's Beigels.