closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: watch service/mod/repair wiltshire

Apprentice

watch service/mod/repair wiltshire

hi, can anyone recommend a place in wilts/north somerset area that can service a 70s omega auto and realign a chapter ring on a skx009 (only slightly off but drives me mad) don't really want to take them to a "high class" jewellers due to cost and am a bit sceptical about taking it to my local timpsons (trowbridge) without a review/recommendation. thanks.

Apprentice
    I would suggest contacting Swatch Group UK in Southampton as they are the authorised Omega Service centre for the UK, 0845 8990086. Hope this helps

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deano182 View Post
    hi, can anyone recommend a place in wilts/north somerset area that can service a 70s omega auto and realign a chapter ring on a skx009 (only slightly off but drives me mad) don't really want to take them to a "high class" jewellers due to cost and am a bit sceptical about taking it to my local timpsons (trowbridge) without a review/recommendation. thanks.
    If you are prepared to travel to Swindon, there are two jewellers to consider.

1. Deacons of Swindon - upmarket and good. I use these people because they always deliver.

2. Graham Stewart - small family business that are smaller than Deacons but deliver a top service for less money.

You will be fine with either.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Hi and welcome to the forum

Master
    http://www.watchworks.co.uk

From my experience and many other satisfied forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you are prepared to travel to Swindon, there are two jewellers to consider.

1. Deacons of Swindon - upmarket and good. I use these people because they always deliver.

2. Graham Stewart - small family business that are smaller than Deacons but deliver a top service for less money.

You will be fine with either.
    Graham Stewart in Swindon ?
    Did you mean John Steward in Market Street (another small family business), perhaps ?

Master
    Yes I did

Regards

Mick

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman100 View Post
    I would suggest contacting Swatch Group UK in Southampton as they are the authorised Omega Service centre for the UK, 0845 8990086. Hope this helps
    It'll help if the OP wants to pay top whack!

Frankly, Omega service centre is the last place I`d use for a 70s watch. If the owner specifically wants the watch to go to an established commercial concern I`d recommend STS for old stuff. However, depending on the model in question there are others (myself included) who can sort stuff like this out. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

For an Omega automatic that's in really poor condition, needing a boatload of expensive parts, I`d recommend STS and I wouldn`t offer myself. Obtaining Omega parts at sensible prices is now becoming much harder since Swatch Group stopped supplying wholesale; I`m now struggling to sort old Omegas out at a price I think's reasonable and I`m now having to turn jobs down.

If the OP can find someone local, that's fine, but be sure they're going to do a thorough job. If the Omega's supposed to be waterproof the chances are it'll need seals replacing to maintain some level of water resistance, and that'll put the cost up (particularly if the crown has to be replaced). I'd also want a new mainspring and possibly a new spring barrel if it's an automatic; spring barrels wear on the inside and prevent the watch giving the amplitude it should, and the design of the barrel doesn`t help on some Omegas (560s and 1010s).

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 21st January 2016 at 18:52.

Apprentice
    thanks very much for the replies, Swindon sounds like my best bet actually have to go there next week so will take it in and get a quote, its a 70s gold plated seamaster that only cost me £40 about 15 years ago and is pretty mint and working but ive never had it serviced so its about time, would attach a pic but its at my parents house somewhere, thanks once again.