closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New watch! :D

Grand Master

New watch! :D

Well, a virtual one at any rate.

Some of you might remember me posting some designs waaaay back in the day. Today I just finished the 41st one. Since a large Singaporean watch store chain and Singaporean magazine colluded to sue me* in 2006 and subsequently scupper all deals I had going with the manufacturers - design, photographic or otherwise, I've decided to keep it all to myself. But, one figures that any old idiot can copy something, but few can create something original.

*long story

So, I present my latest piece for disembowelling critique by the forum:

MING Cal. S02au Reveil Chronometre Magnetique

I'll leave it to the curious to figure out how the escapement works. Suffice to say that the 'Magnetique' in the name should be a very large hint :)

The case is my traditional tungsten, surface treated to form a tungsten carbide coating. It's dense and hard, and therefore won't scratch or dent. The crystal is a sapphire cap, which extends to the lug tops and is secured by screws in the caseband; it makes the dial bigger, and just looks cool. Ditto the caseback - it's a cap. This watch has one complication: an alarm. The alarm gong is secured to the sapphire elements of the watch for resonance and better sound quality. Movement is handwind, and does not use any gears in the main portion of the going train and escapment.

Enjoy!

Ming

The front

Back

Uncased movement, top plate

Movement dial side

Lumed :D

If there's any interest I might post the others...

i like it :D

especially the lumed pic :D

Master
    First reaction: speechless admiration! Great work, Ming. :)

Perhaps I can add some more thoughts when I was able to study it in calmness.

Grand Master
    Outstanding, really like the look of that. I reckon you've put more thought into that than I have all year!

Sorry that other people put stop to your other efforts.
    /vince ..

:shock: :love4:

Hi

That is a very cool looking design.

I really like the use of a "0" instead of the "12".

Thanks
    deano

Master
    Looks amazing!

Put me down for a dozen,

simon

Thomas Reid

Re: New watch! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein

I'll leave it to the curious to figure out how the escapement works. Suffice to say that the 'Magnetique' in the name should be a very large hint :)
    One does notice that the pallet is a bit funny, with no fork. I suppose that overbanking would only happen if exposed to a big magnet. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Looks really good Ming 8) and yes please post the others

karl

Craftsman
    This design (and artwork) is obviously stunning. But you asked for a critique and such fabulous work deserves one:

1st - why the "horny" lugs? First ergonomy then style;

2nd- The brand name on the strap is too flashy. Although proud of some timepieces I have, I am not that proud of them enough to show them off too much. The brand on the dial should be enough. I do not want be a walking ad sign for any brand: after all I payed for the watch, not to advertise someone else. The watch design should be enough.
    - But hey, if the owner does not like the strap, a G10 would do nicely. :wink:

3rd - Have you considered "solid" hands?

4th - How about some section/cut drawings? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Luso
    This design (and artwork) is obviously stunning. But you asked for a critique and such fabulous work deserves one:

2nd- The brand name on the strap is too flashy. Although proud of some timepieces I have, I am not that proud of them enough to show them off too much. The brand on the dial should be enough. I do not want be a walking ad sign for any brand: after all I payed for the watch, not to advertise someone else. The watch design should be enough.
    - But hey, if the owner does not like the strap, a G10 would do nicely. :wink:

3rd - Have you considered "solid" hands?

4th - How about some section/cut drawings? :D

same for me.... i dont like the "Horns" And the "Ming strap is a bit of a "Copy"

the rest is amazing
    good luck to you

It's beautiful. I like the hands as they are. The lugs? I'd need to see the finished item.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Luso

I hadn't noticed the lugs. Those look dangerous.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Very impressive, Ming!

On a first look, the main thing I'd do is shorten the hour hand, to either shaving the edge of the chapter or inside it a touch. I found I had to look and think about which hand was which rather than grasping it instantly in a glance. Other than that, I like the hands/dial design. (I'm a complete amateur when it comes to movements, so I'm not really qualified to comment on that!)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Grand Master
    Thanks for the comments so far, gents.

In response to the main one: the lugs: they curve down, and I'll have to finish the side view before it's obvious. No, they won't cut you, they'll hug your wrist nicely. :)

Strap name - I was debating on this one myself, and will leave it in for now (not like I'm going to produce these things anytime soon! :D) but figure that the production versions will have an assortment of straps bundled. :D

Hands - Solid looks too heavy for the dial. It's a family hand look - you'll see why when I post the rest of the watches.

Bob - spot on with the magnet :wink:

Ming

Master
    Wow :shock: :D

Superb, I'll have one :wink: :)

Master
    Very nice Ming! Nice and original in a world where most watches look the same.

Ming, you are so sodding talented :shock: .

I know zip about movements but the design looks sensational without being too overdone. I too wondered idly about the lugs, but if they curve down sufficiently then it would work, I think.

Please post the rest.

Just lost in admiration mate...

Simon

Nobody could fail to be impressed by the concept and artwork Ming, it's most impressive. I remember seeing earlier designs you did, do you know yet if any of them actually work as they were designed to?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Simply amazing! Not a lot else I can say :)

David

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Nobody could fail to be impressed by the concept and artwork Ming, it's most impressive. I remember seeing earlier designs you did, do you know yet if any of them actually work as they were designed to?

Eddie
    I know that everything up to about Cal. 11 doesn't work because of various idiocies on my part.

As for the new designs, it remains to be seen, because I need CFD and finite element simulation software that costs a fortune :P But seriously, I look at watchmaking from an engineer/physicist perspective rather than a watchmaker. The result is I land up with some wierd stuff. For instance, innovations in the S02 include:

Movement:
    - no gears in timekeeping train and escapement
    - balance does not touch anything, therefore only drag is air resistance (negligible)
    - no hairspring
    - transmission uses fluids
    - transmission printed as a single piece on silicon
    - integrated piviots with top plate (possible due to material)
    - does not require lubrication AT ALL
    - assembly simplified as all parts can be printed on silicon - high 1um tolerances mean no refinishing necessary (actually, I have a simpler version that could even be sold as a kit if one were handy with tweezers)

Case:
    - use of tungsten -> tungsten carbide surface process in a watch
    - complex profile sapphire lugs
    - double screw back (not on S series cases, but on the later M series cases*)

The b******* who tried to sue me obviously thought there was something in it all, because they wanted to keep me out of the market. I have a strong suspicion that S**** G**** was also involved as they tried to sign me three times with their various group companies - but the contracts never went anywhere and each took up to a year to reach the point of signing. Not to mention the terms and conditions were not good...and they're well in bed with the aforementioned dealer, who happens to be the biggest in Asia.

Actually I was recalculating the internal fluid backpressure last night and it seems that I might not actually need a balance at all, if the transmission capillaries were small enough and the 'escape turbine' had enough inertia. What I'm not sure of is how to deliver constant pressure - a gas buffer reservoir would work great but there isn't any space inside a wristwatch for something like that. I'll have to look into this one a bit more.

As for whether it works, well, this is the first time I've posted it here:
    Apologies for the size of the file, but it's a 180-frame animated GIF. It's also an older, pre-magnetic escapement version.

http://www.mingthein.com/temp/ffd.gif

Ming

*Internal nonclemanture: H series = square; S series round handwind; M series round automatic

fascinating stuff, I wish you lots of success with this.

Ming, along with your photos I definitely missed your watch/movement designs during your absence here. Great to see you haven't lost your touch and continue to refine your ideas. Please post more!

Great piece of work!

I hope you can achieve production and I surely hope I will be able to afford such a watch!

I wish you all the best with your project!

Blog Entries
    WOW :shock: - that really is something else.
    More would be good, lots more (Designs and pictures) would be great :D
    James

Grand Master
    Thanks gents. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for one, as the silicon printing machine I need to build the thing costs about £30m and there are only two in the watchmaking world - Patek has one, and UN has the other.

But in the meantime, I dismantled the watch.

Ming

Thanks gents. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for one, as the silicon printing machine I need to build the thing costs about £30m and there are only two in the watchmaking world - Patek has one, and UN has the other.

But in the meantime, I dismantled the watch.

Ming
    Perhaps you can sell this development to PP or UN ;)

Master
    :shock: Incredible work ! Genuine talent you have there Ming

I'll also take one provided they retail for £150 or less :twisted: :P :P

Ming, is there any way that you could host the pics someplace other than "Flickr" as my firewall blocks them :x

Superb

Ming- That truly is out of the galaxy

The differential colour on the seconds dial is phenomenal

I would have liked chunkier lugs ...though thats a personal choice

Grand Master
    Barracuda - that's an alarm hand :P there are no constant seconds. You can check it's running as you can see the balance through the dial. :P

Chris - My apologies, I'll put future ones on my server instead of flickr - it's been having a few speed issues lately so I didn't use it.

Rincewind - I'm going to have to build a LOT of these things to recoup the cost of the damn machine at £150 :lol:

Ming

Craftsman
    I think you can sell for loads loads more than 150GBP, but u gotta give the forumers a large discount :)

Grand Master
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, how about this: if I ever make them, I'll give one away to a forumer in a lucky draw. :D

Ming

Ming,
    I'm absolutely stunned that no decent watch maker hasn't snapped you up. :shock: :shock:
    More fool them.
    I hope you can actually bring some of these to market and stick two fingers up to 'them'... :lol:

More designs, please! 8)

Cheers,
    Westy

PS In the tradition of this forum.........I'll have number 23.. :twisted:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westy
    Ming,
    I'm absolutely stunned that no decent watch maker hasn't snapped you up. :shock: :shock:
    More fool them.
    I hope you can actually bring some of these to market and stick two fingers up to 'them'... :lol:

More designs, please! 8)

Cheers,
    Westy

LOL! Noted.

But they did try to keep me off the market...sigh. I'll never understand the politics in this business, I tell you.

Ming

Ming,
    More fool them.

More designs, please! 8)

Cheers,
    Westy

LOL! Noted.

But they did try to keep me off the market...sigh. I'll never understand the politics in this business, I tell you.

Ming
    They 'd better try to do business with you... They have the means, you the ideas, together, you'd have a product....

Superb Ming! Lovin yer work mate :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
    Ming,
    More fool them.

More designs, please! 8)

Cheers,
    Westy

LOL! Noted.

Ming
    They 'd better try to do business with you... They have the means, you the ideas, together, you'd have a product....
    Logically that'd make sense, but no. Instead you get people who are shortsighted and either want to steal ideas for a one off (copy me fine, but how are you going to develop anything further?) or just keep me out of their pie.

Ming

Great Work, i do not know if it was intended or not, but I really lke how it has the Masonic theme to it.

Hell, if you made it I would buy!

Grand Master
    Huh?! :shock: Masonic? where? Seriously, not intended. I don't really see it either - care to enlighten me?

Ming

Hey Ming,

Not a bad thing! Great watch!

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmu ... Slides.htm

If you look through the old photos, and look at some of the tools and symbols you will see the Masonic tools I am referring too.

Grand Master
    Ah, gotcha. For me it's entirely about optimizing mechanical function of a part and not about symbolism :P

Ming

Craftsman
    WOW Ming

I'm completely blown away by all this.
    One thing's for sure, you're not the run of the mill forumer.
    The thought and effort put into something like this is quite impressive.
    This place is just getting better and better.

Since you welcomed an opinion, my only change would likely be the length of the hour hand. As noted, there needs to be an intuitive recognition of the time and your design is very slightly flawed in this regard. If you shortened the hour hand to a few millimeters shy of the indices, it would likely be perfect. Has a very sinister, Gothic quality to it. Well done and definitely looking forward to seeing more!

J. (Joseph, not John )

Ming,

you say that Ulysse-Nardin have one of those expensive machine thingys. I've always thought of them as quite innovative in terms of watch making (just look at some of Dr. Oechslin's work), wouldn't they be interested in some of your ideas?

Apologies if you've already explored this angle.

Cheers,

Grand Master
    Mark: I did try, but I don't think they were interested (or at least I didn't get a reply).

Joseph: Thank you. I'll revise the hand lengths on the next case iteration - probably more to do with the proportions of the other dial elements more than the hands themselves (the former which I haven't standardized, the latter which I have).

Ming