closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the point of a collection?

whats the point of a collection?

I’ve looked at a few SOTC posts recently and I have been considering my next purchase and it got me thinking. Is there a perfect formula to a collection?

I consider myself to be a literal thinker and therefore most things I own tend to have a purpose and I very rarely stray into buying something just to own it. Therefore, the basis of my collection would be on type/use. I will think of the occasion I would wear it and then the purchase will be based on how many boxes the watch ticks in terms of attributes. Things I consider are style/type, brand, use, dress, occasion for buying, functions and cost.

His means for me a perfect collection is 6 watches:

1. All terrain watch
    2. Daily wearer
    3. Watch bought by significant other
    4. Dress watch
    5. Watch in-between daily and dress watch (restaurant watch)
    6. The one

I would also say each watch has to be of a different brand, have a different movement and have a different style.
    I know members here have vast collections but if you had to stick to the above formula what would you buy? Is the list missing something?

Answers on a postcard, or just click reply

I have no logic or reasoning with watch buying. I purchase watches I like the look of or that have a movement in them that interests me. I don't buy for situations or resale values ever!

My puddle of watches exists so that I've just enough variety to keep me excited, and I make sure that that variety also just about includes something for every occasion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    whats the point of a collection?
    To look at it and whisper "my preciousssss"?

No? Oh.

Well, I can only say that watches bring me pleasure in several ways. Choosing, wearing, the combination of artistic/aesthetic and technical/engineering achievement. I have to admit that I also enjoy the chase too.

Master
    Buy watches YOU like until you run out of available funds. That is all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Buy watches YOU like until you run out of available funds. That is all.
    This is how I got started.....

Now I'm adding a few from SC that I find interesting. Hopefulyl at SC prices I'll be able to flip when the time comes for something else without too much of a loss.

I've been asking myself that very question of late.........and will be re-organising and downsizing this year! A few, regular, wearers is enough for me now. Anything that spends it's life tucked away in the drawer is of no use.....except the Sub.........'cos that is my precious ;-)

Master

Cool

It's something to do.

Master
    Ego boost

When things are really shiite I just look at the kettle and say "could be worse"

An excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    It's something to do.
    Yeah, all men need a hobby. A hobby keeps us from thinking about real life. If it wasn't this hobby we would wear one watch from Elizabeth duke and be happy (but have a different hobby)....

Journeyman
    Only a collection with watches you like. Is the best. When you don't like dressers, do not put one in your collection. Only watches you wear is the best choice.

Journeyman
    Everyone has their reasons, rationale, and methods.

Some collect to have one of every type.
    Some collect a particular brand.
    Some collect a particular type or complication.
    etc.

No rhyme or reason. Just something fun/distracting to do.
    Last edited by Foodle; 18th January 2016 at 22:10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThijsKremers View Post
    Only watches you wear is the best choice.
    I agree with this.

(Although I have bought some watches as spares/parts donors).

Master
    There is no point we can only wear one at once, although someone will probably drag an image up to disprove this.

Sticking to your formula though, My current pick should be:-

1. All terrain watch - G shock or CWC Navy Diver Quartz
    2. Daily wearer- Aqua Terra
    3. Watch bought by significant other - Dream on, No chance she will buy me a watch!
    4. Dress watch - Geophysic
    5. Watch in-between daily and dress watch (restaurant watch) - Speedy pro
    6. The one - Milsub, Will never happen, even number 3 is more likely than this!

Even if I got this lot there would be something else crop up that I would prefer, thats what we do buy, try and flip watches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    There is no point we can only wear one at once
    Ah, but I gain a lot of pleasure from choosing which watch to wear each day. I usually wear a different watch each day and I love deciding which one it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ah, but I gain a lot of pleasure from choosing which watch to wear each day. I usually wear a different watch each day and I love deciding which one it will be.
    Well said Sir,the process normally starts the night before!

For my birthday I asked for a watch box so they all had a home to sit in, just a cheapy from ebay (about £23) which holds 12 in total but it is actually very nice, so I add all my watches and I have space for 6 more, I think it is a nice round number and most situations can be covered by those 12 and you can look down on them and decide which one is going to be flipped next if incoming.

Out of those 12 I would like something like the following -

3 divers
    2 chronograph
    1 military
    1 Dressy
    1 Birth year
    2 hand winds at least
    2 vintage

Oh and one on my wrist

Very profound question!
    I don't the answer but then what is the point of life?

100% agree with this - just went out for a quick supermarket run and the moon was big and bright. A moonphase watch now wound and set for tomorrow.

I used to have categories, now I think 'will I wear it?'. If the answer is yes, then I have it, funds permitting. Sometimes (most times?) I'm wrong and I think I am about to have a big reduction in numbers again for something special. Which I'll wear ;)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    For my birthday I asked for a watch box so they all had a home to sit in, just a cheapy from ebay (about £23) which holds 12 in total but it is actually very nice, so I add all my watches and I have space for 6 more, I think it is a nice round number and most situations can be covered by those 12 and you can look down on them and decide which one is going to be flipped next if incoming.
    This is a fine strategy ... until you find yourself buying a second watch box.

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    This is a fine strategy ... until you find yourself buying a second watch box.
    Maybe - buy em cheap, stack em high

Craftsman
    For me, my perfect but totally unattainable collection would be on a 'theme' of 5513s - 3 6 9 dial, meters first, feet first, maxi dials, prototype HEV/Comex, Milsub, etc.
    So instead, I have started with "classics" - 5513 Sub, Pepsi GMT2, now looking for a chronograph but with date, so no Daytona. The nice thing for me is, I don't know where it's going to lead me....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Maybe - buy em cheap, stack em high
    That's what I did. Well, the stack got too tall so I decided to lay them out horizontally instead.

Lidl tea boxes, by the way.

That's what I did. Well, the stack got too tall so I decided to lay them out horizontally instead.

Lidl tea boxes, by the way.
    Its all about will power and flipping, here is the watch case I got, really am pleased with it for £22.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351084304947?var=620323319517 and no I do not sell this or know the owner so hold the blue flashing lights FP

I tend to buy what I like the look of, this changes and evolves over time. I would love to keep everything but that is not financially viable, so a slow turnover rolls on.
    It's all about the look primarily for me, I prefer autos but do have a number of Quartz, movement is of little interest at present but there are tiny signs of interest on the horizon.

Hard to fathom the workings of my mind, but I seem to have a number of drivers for my ever-evolving collection...

Colours: I have to have watches in blue, black, white, yellow, brown, orange and grey. This would appear to suggest I'm unlikely to ever dip below 7!

Divers: I've had a lengthy love affair with dive watches, although I've branched out somewhat with my Navitimer and my Steinhart Marine Chronometer (and I previously had a Speedmaster,,because you have to, don't you...)

Breitling: Just love 'em. Currently own 3 and I'm definitely toying with the idea of a fourth, if the business goes well this year...

Straps: I like leather, rubber and steel - whatever feels appropriate for the watch... and I detest NATOs!

That's about it, I think.

Simon

Blog Entries
    It's something to research and obsess over...

Unless I have a project, I get bored...

I am getting concerned as I think my collections nearly done!

To address the question I think the point of a collection is to have a suitable watch to wear for different occasions - something simple and dressy on a leather strap for formal occasions, a steel automatic for everyday / office wear, a diver or chronograph for casual wear, and a G-SHOCK beater for the gym and beach.

Beyond that, collecting, or at least being an enthusiast, is an interesting diversion to pass the time, a d a way to learn new things.

I just buy what I can afford and like.

I don't see the appeal of a theme and the idea of a "restaurant" watch just baffles me.

No rules except I want it and feel I can afford it.

Maybe I don't have a collection, just 'some watches'...?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 19th January 2016 at 10:27.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I've narrowed it down to three, and deciding which one to wear takes about a nanosecond.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I've narrowed it down to three, and deciding which one to wear takes about a nanosecond.
    Three!?

I've occasionally considered liquidating my collection and buying two or three higher end pieces but I know they just wouldn't satisfy me. I love the wide choice that I currently have and I enjoy taking my time choosing. ;-)

I guess I'm just not a collector as such, as I've said in other threads I only wear a watch on holidays, weekends and when socializing, though my pocket-watch/phone/calculator/compass/route-finder etc goes everywhere with me.

I guess I'm just not a collector as such, as I've said in other threads I only wear a watch on holidays, weekends and when socializing, though my pocket-watch/phone/calculator/compass/route-finder etc goes everywhere with me.
    I'm sorry... you don't wear a watch ALL THE TIME ????!!!!!

What a very strange concept :)

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ........ the idea of a "restaurant" watch just baffles me. M
    Completely with you on this, Mark - I was bemused by that concept!

Apart from anything else, for me it would depend what I was wearing - I couldn't wear a black watch with a blue suit, or a blue watch with a black suit, or ......... well, you get the message ;)

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 19th January 2016 at 07:56.

Master
    Same here:

Work day or going out for beers? Wear the daily wearer/beater
    Weekend daytime? Wear the smart casual
    Smartening up? Wear the dressier one

Job done

Master
    I'm down to three too - but 99% of the time it's the same one on my wrist (the middle ground smart but tough one). Beater is rarely worn and dress even more rarely. I've no intention of adding watches, just potentially upgrading. I am Beaunidle and I am not a collector.

Master
    I'm just starting out my collection but luckily I think I already have the 2 most difficult watches to obtain according to your criteria, the one and one bought by my wife. :-)
    The problem is that the one, 5711, gets 90% of my wrist time. The birth year never gets worn, the GMT is patiently waiting for a holiday, the cheap ones are just gathering dust, the one passed down from my grandfather needs to be restored but it'll never get worn...
    Maybe my love affair with the nautilus will come to an end at some point and I'll start wearing something else and collecting again.
    Oh wait, I need a g-shock! It is a watch collecting rule, isn't it?
    And a reverso.
    And a speedy.
    And a Monaco.
    And a SD4k
    And a zenith Daytona, or 2.
    And I could carry on, but you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Same here:

Work day or going out for beers? Wear the daily wearer/beater
    Weekend daytime? Wear the smart casual
    Smartening up? Wear the dressier one

Job done
    The idea of sitting in a darkened bedroom crouched over a box full of watches, stroking a COMEX diver whilst whispering ''my precious'' just has me rolling around in a fit of giggles, but it clearly floats some boats.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Three!?

I've occasionally considered liquidating my collection and buying two or three higher end pieces but I know they just wouldn't satisfy me. I love the wide choice that I currently have and I enjoy taking my time choosing. ;-)
    Funny Mark, thats one of the reasons I stripped right back from a collection of 9 to 2. Too much choice just became an annoyance.

I don't see the appeal of a theme and the idea of a "restaurant" watch just baffles me.
    I got that straight away!

I don't wear a suit for work but favour dressier complicated watches. My 'dress watch' is a slim gold three hander so the others with their calendars and chronos could well be 'restaurant watches'. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Too much choice just became an annoyance.
    My four main daily wearers get worn for a week each, in rotation - the rest butt in as and when appropriate - so I've variety without choice. It means I get to look forward to watch having its turn, and I also get the pleasure of wearing my watches day in day out, rather than using them for a daily fix of novelty.

I do wonder what it would be like having one watch replacing this quartet, but I don't think I've been thinking about watches for long enough - don't think my enthusiasm is mature enough yet to have that relaxed patience.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I got that straight away!

I don't wear a suit for work but favour dressier complicated watches. My 'dress watch' is a slim gold three hander so the others with their calendars and chronos could well be 'restaurant watches'. I like it!
    I'm less restrictive.

The only constraint I have on watches with suits is they fit under my shirt sleeve.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I've no intention of adding watches, just potentially upgrading. I am Beaunidle and I am not a collector.
    With you 100%. I am Guitarfan, and I'm also not a collector!

The idea of sitting in a darkened bedroom crouched over a box full of watches, stroking a COMEX diver whilst whispering ''my precious'' just has me rolling around in a fit of giggles, but it clearly floats some boats.
    Ha ha, same here!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It's something to research and obsess over...

Unless I have a project, I get bored...

I am getting concerned as I think my collections nearly done!
    That's the way it is for me.... except I think my collection will never be done, - there's always another to get.

I'm less restrictive. The only constraint I have on watches with suits is they fit under my shirt sleeve. M
    If one of my three Breitlings doesn't fit under a shirt cuff, I buy a new shirt ;)

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    If one of my three Breitlings doesn't fit under a shirt cuff, I buy a new shirt ;)

Simon
    I like your thinking

M.

I like your thinking M.
    I thought you might :)

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    There is an obvious solution to this. (o:
    http://thewatchcuff.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Very profound question!
    I don't the answer but then what is the point of life?
    Life has a point?