closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice needed on watch and pocket watch restoration/servicing

Master

Advice needed on watch and pocket watch restoration/servicing

So fellow forumites I have been faced with a task and no idea where to start, however I am willing to bet that someone on here can help me so here goes:

Item 1:

My grandads watch, a Roamer Searock Automatic-

Known faults are the date has stopped changing and the crystal is chipped and cracked and needs replacing with a service I suspect, oh and a new strap but I can sort that.

Really wanting to know where to send it if I can to be given the TLC it needs

It was a 4oth wedding anniversary gift from my Grandma and it means a lot to him.

Item 2:

World war 2 pocket watch, any help identifying it would be great!

Never seen anything like this myself but its got a loose ring whwere you attach the chain, needs some attention and the crystal has been cracked and it needs a service.

Any help here greatly appreciated chaps, money isn't the issue here, my grandad wants to wear them and have them looking tip top and I'd say he has earned it at 93 years old. The caved in back on the pocket watch happened when he was blown up in a tank he was driving, pretty cool story, he was lucky to escape with his life that day, and the dented watch he says was in his pocket. Not bad!

Im just getting into this like you and have been given some good websites -

Lots of good advice here - http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/

Great videos here - https://www.youtube.com/user/jewldood

Looks to be best and cheapest watch tool supplier - https://www.cousinsuk.com/

The CYMA is a GSTP from WWII. There is debate about the meaning of GSTP or GS/TP, either General Service Time Piece or the more popular choice General Service Trade Pattern. These were issued in the thousands and decent examples can be had one ebay for less than 50 quid, so any repair is going to be uneconomically (but perhaps sentimentally) worthwhile.

I have a few

Master
    That's a lovely collection :-)

And thanks chaps they mean a lot sentimentally so if just like to see the pair of them restored really :-)

Master
    Also I don't suppose there's any good watch makers on the forum that could help with this at all is there, I appreciate they are not your usual items for repair

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Also I don't suppose there's any good watch makers on the forum that could help with this at all is there, I appreciate they are not your usual items for repair
    Lots of people (including me) recommend a watchmaker called Ryte Time in Leicestershire who I imagine will have no problem with the Roamer and it's issues. He does good work and is not expensive.

I don't know off the top of my head if he does or doesn't do pocket watches - perhaps someone else knows?

At any rate the guy's phone number is on his website.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Lots of people (including me) recommend a watchmaker called Ryte Time in Leicestershire who I imagine will have no problem with the Roamer and it's issues. He does good work and is not expensive.

I don't know off the top of my head if he does or doesn't do pocket watches - perhaps someone else knows?

At any rate the guy's phone number is on his website.
    Thank you I'll give them a call :-)

Master
    Ryte time have done everything for me, and Steve is absolutely spot on to deal with, thanks for all the pointers guys :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Ryte time have done everything for me, and Steve is absolutely spot on to deal with, thanks for all the pointers guys :-)
    Very pleased to hear it

Glad to hear these old timepieces have been getting some attention.

Any pictures post works? We all love a picture or 3

Master
    Yes they will be back this week and I'll get some snaps :-)

Master
    Did they work out ok in the end?