closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: King Seiko - any owners/knowledge?

Craftsman

King Seiko - any owners/knowledge?

I've been reading up on various 1960s and 1970s King Seiko watches recently - particularly the chronometers. They're really lovely watches.

I've decided that I'll be getting myself one in the next few months if I find the right one at a reasonable price.

Can anyone tell me what to look out for? Specific movement or case problems that are common to these watches? The 25 jewel hi-beat automatic in particular.

Is parts availability a big issue for these?

Lastly and most importantly (the main reason for starting this thread), if you have any photos to motivate me, please post them here!

I posted this thread at the beginning of the week and picked it up from the post office today. For £550 what a lot of watch!

Adrian

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Seiko-content)

Craftsman
    Very nice!
    I'm waiting for one as good as that but I'm happy to settle for a few scratches (I usually deliberately buy watches in not best condition so I don't mind wearing them)

A good dial is necessary for me though

Me me me !

I will post a bit more on this in a separate thread. This is the second model KS, introduced 1963 with the "44" movement, which is hand wound and ticks at 18 000 bph. It was replaced by the "true" (36 000 bph) high beat 45 movement, which can be found in certain GS models too. These watches incorporated the new "grammar of design" introduced by Taro Tanaka.

The next generation, 52 I believe, ticks at a more modest 28 800 bph. There are a dozen of version of these movements, as well as different cases and dial configurations. Some of these movements are incredibly accurate, given they are serviced and regulated.

To my understanding replacement parts are sometimes difficult, of not impossible, to find. For example the hacking lever used in the early 44-9990, which tends to break.

My personal favourite references are 44-9990, 45-7000, and 5246-8000. The latter is chronometer rated. Browse around to find which case/dial/hand combo you like.

I am by no means an expert so please correct me if I got anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post

Lastly and most importantly (the main reason for starting this thread), if you have any photos to motivate me, please post them here!
    There you go:

This one though met with a slight mishap shortly after this photo was taken.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    Nooooo

There you go:

Martin
    After reading that post and seeing how much effort you put into that restore i am well and truly gutted for you!

Banned
    There you go:

Martin
    You have my most sincere condolences, what terrible bad luck.

I was very close to buying a King Seiko around Christmas but it got away. Maybe sometime later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukal View Post
    After reading that post and seeing how much effort you put into that restore i am well and truly gutted for you!
    Appreciated. The watch is down (if you'll forgive the pun) but not out. Emerging from intensive care soon, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    You have my most sincere condolences, what terrible bad luck.
    Thank you. A combination of bad luck and poor judgement.

Martin

Craftsman
    Looks like I've got one incoming for possibly a bargain price!

I will have to start stockpiling any parts I can find

I have a few KS too, Some of my favourite Seiko's.
    Here's one of mine:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I have a few KS too, Some of my favourite Seiko's.
    Here's one of mine:

That's utterly lovely and exactly what I'm looking for. Beautiful.

Craftsman
    By the way Jim, do you mind if I use that photo for a 'Want to buy' post to illustrate what I'm after?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    By the way Jim, do you mind if I use that photo for a 'Want to buy' post to illustrate what I'm after?
    No problem... Please go ahead!

Craftsman

I've been wearing this for a couple of days now and it's lovely and keeping chronometer time

It really is a lovely thing and despite not being in perfect condition, it was a true bargain. I'm planning to get a few more of these :)

Journeyman
    Those high beats are really classy and elegant.

I assume that the King Seiko range sat between the Seiko and Grand Seiko ranges. What is the equivalent Seiko range today?

The early (1960's) King Seiko's were nearly all manufactured at Seiko's Daini Seikosha facility in direct competition with the Suwa Seikosha factories Grand Seiko line. At the time the Daini plant mostly produced ladies calibres whilst Suwa produced the mens ones, it was felt that severe competition between the two manufacturing plants would improve technology and hedge against risk. There's an interesting article on Grand Seiko's history here that also gives an insight into the early King Seiko chronometers.

Here's a couple of my old 4402-8000.

Old thread, but one with good photos and information. I can't really add much, but a little bump as I picked up this 44-9990 recently:

I have owned a KS Hi Beat Chronometer previously...

It was excellent, but perhaps a little small on me. The 19mm lugs on the KS 44-9990 may only be a millimeter wider, but their chunky overall profile adds a lot to this watch's character and presence:

I think that case-back suggests it is one of the later versions of this model, perhaps around 1968 vintage. But at more than half a century old, it's a little hard to know without removing it and having a look at the hacking mechanism. This one has just been serviced, running happily at +2s/day, so I am leaving it be.

The interesting cross-hatching on the 12 o'clock marker is still evident:

These KS dials in general seem to be holding up well, and I like the top hat crystal:

The case, hands and indices point towards Seiko's higher-end design language still much in evidence decades later. And like those, these do catch the light too...

A simple watch. To my eyes, offering elegant proportions without being dainty. And still capable of performing very well in its old age.

TT

I would love a KS but don’t know where to begin in picking one up. Any recommendations?

Mine came from a dealer in Japan, hence serviced. Japan is the obvious place to start. Yahoo Auctions (and lately, Mercari) are where most end up.

Last time I was in the UK, Yahoo Japan was blocked, you might need to use a VPN or try one of those services like Buyee. Note that eBay isn't a thing here (Japan) so if you see something on eBay from Japan it's most likely specifically listed for overseas buyers (and you may find it cheaper from the same shop on Yahoo...) or someone trying to arbitrage. Best avoided in both cases, in my view

You might also try pasting this into your favourite search engine (and translating the results) to find Japanese sellers:

キングセイコー 44-9990 腕時計

Hope this helps

TT

Beautiful watches. Here’s mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Mine came from a dealer in Japan, hence serviced. Japan is the obvious place to start. Yahoo Auctions (and lately, Mercari) are where most end up.

Last time I was in the UK, Yahoo Japan was blocked, you might need to use a VPN or try one of those services like Buyee. Note that eBay isn't a thing here (Japan) so if you see something on eBay from Japan it's most likely specifically listed for overseas buyers (and you may find it cheaper from the same shop on Yahoo...) or someone trying to arbitrage. Best avoided in both cases, in my view

You might also try pasting this into your favourite search engine (and translating the results) to find Japanese sellers:

ã‚*ングセイコー 44-9990 腕時計

Hope this helps

TT
    Thanks, that’s very helpful. You’re right, Yahoo Auctions is blocked in the UK. Will find a VPN and have a poke around.

Craftsman
    These boyz have some nice goodies around and it’s sale time.

https://www.thevintagejapanesewatchcompany.com/

Regards

V

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman

King Seiko - any owners/knowledge?

There are a couple of well known proxy buying sites you can use to buy from YJ - some research here plus over on SCWF will turn them up.. plus at least one of those (fromJapan) can store until you’ve got a few things to send over if you want to save a bit on postage..

My 56ks thus:

al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alslater; 30th August 2023 at 17:07.

Seems the right thread to note the King Seiko "band simulator"...

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/p...cial/simulator

It's very exciting

Advertising gimmickry never works on me.

Coincidentally I happened to be passing the original Seiko store in Ginza today, via a scarcely mentionable detour of 4 stops on the subway, and happened upon a display of all the new King Seikos and the offered strap selection.

Feeling chance had shone upon me, I tried them out and took the light grey calf with me. My manky, I mean charmingly patinated, old strap lovingly wrapped and bagged by the equally lovely and rapt assistant.

I only have two passably “classy” watches, so I thought this deserved a proper KS strap (and buckle).

It’s showing its 5+ decades of life a little better than its wearer of similar vintage.

TT
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 4th September 2023 at 13:05.

As your were in the Seiko store, did you compare your 60s 44 with the latest rendering? If yes, how did they compare to the eye, case shape, dial layout?

I did, and I should have taken a photo as they had the whole collection of KS, including (of course...) a limited edition. This looked rather good with the replacement of "automatic" with "diashock 26 jewels" making it close to the original, albeit with a date. But they all seemed decent. I didn't care for the metal bracelet, which was just as well as I doubt it would fit the 60s models. The 19mm straps for the new ones fit fine, of course.