closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 5388

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I though S1 was good but couldn’t get into S2, it seemed to have got a lot cheeseier. Planning to give it another go at some point but it’s quite a long way down the backlog.
    I really enjoyed Continuum (IMO it's worth persevering) and Twelve Monkeys has been good - but I think they're right to call it a day after the next season.

I think with any time-travel series they tend to get the plotlines a bit tangled after a couple of series - particularly when they "reset-and-repeat" the same basic plot to extend its run (Even though this is in some ways the logical thing to do if time travel were possible). If you've not see the movie Primer, it partly explores this issue.

Series 4 of Halt & Catch Fire is on Amazon now and is really good. I binge-watched series 1-3 in two weeks.

Actually from 2013 but I know quite a few of you like Motorbikes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ish-motorbikes

Apprentice
    I watched jack Whitehall (travels with my father) after a few here recommended it... genuine piss yourself out loud t.v!! Missus loved it too, the old mans an absolute legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'm talking stuff like Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Philip K Dick, J G Ballard, James Blish and even H G Wells.

Eddie
    If you missed the series originally you might enjoy Tripods. If you can find a copy the BBC series Knights of God was a good old school watch too.

Just finished Mindhunters, and agree with previous recommendations.

It’s an interesting twist on the usual profiling-type stories. The real-life characters and retro details make it even more compelling. Some very dark humour as well.

We binge-watched it in less than week.

Watched 4 Blocks on Amazon and was impressed. Set in the Arab community of Neukölln in Berlin, it centres on an Arab gangster boss who wants out. Nothing quite goes to plan though. In German and Arabic so subtitled.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am just about to watch the final episode of " the end of the f***ing world" which launched on C4 this week.
    Loving it so far!

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/n...-world-trailer

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Just finished Mindhunters, and agree with previous recommendations.

It’s an interesting twist on the usual profiling-type stories. The real-life characters and retro details make it even more compelling. Some very dark humour as well.

We binge-watched it in less than week.
    Am about 5 episodes in and thoroughly enjoying it so far

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Just watched 3rd episode. I love Larry. Fatwa sex!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    I'm a big CYE fan, but I do think it’s possibly run its course ie repeated scenarios, albeit funny. Then I watch the Disturbance in the Kitchen episode... absolute genius, possibly one of the best ever! There’s a bit of everything in there.

Master
    I'm a big CYE fan, but I do think it’s possibly run its course ie repeated scenarios, albeit funny. Then I watch the Disturbance in the Kitchen episode... absolute genius, possibly one of the best ever! There’s a bit of everything in there.
    Elizabeth Banks dreadful lying was hilarious. I can't get enough Larry.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just watched the first episode of Strike Back season 6. It looks promising, although I miss Scott and Stonebridge. Also I need to figure out what watches the new characters are wearing. I bought and still own 2 G-Shocks because of this series.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Probably already mentioned but currently catching up on stranger things 2. Very recommend.

Master
    I'll be keeping an eye out for this one - big pressure though to follow the original!!
    http://news.sky.com/story/german-u-b...drama-11108070

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I'll be keeping an eye out for this one - big pressure though to follow the original!!
    http://news.sky.com/story/german-u-b...drama-11108070
    can't wait for that.. das boot one of my all time favorites

Craftsman
    I initially watched Das Boot as a 3 or 4 part mini series .. tbh, I just can not see how this new series can be better, but hey, I've been proven wrong before

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardon View Post
    I watched jack Whitehall (travels with my father) after a few here recommended it... genuine piss yourself out loud t.v!! Missus loved it too, the old mans an absolute legend.

I am half way through this also, and i agree it is laugh out loud...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    I initially watched Das Boot as a 3 or 4 part mini series .. tbh, I just can not see how this new series can be better, but hey, I've been proven wrong before
    I think you would struggle to beat the original film in german... Watched it too many times now but it really is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Just watched the first episode of Strike Back season 6. It looks promising, although I miss Scott and Stonebridge. Also I need to figure out what watches the new characters are wearing. I bought and still own 2 G-Shocks because of this series.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I really enjoyed the Scott and Stonebridge Strike Backs as kind of throwaway TV (don't really need to think, just let it wash over you!)

Watched the first of the new season yesterday and felt like it was trying a little too hard to recreate the previous seasons in terms of characters and dynamic - a bit like newest Topgear tried to do when Clarkson et al left, and I'm not sure it worked... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Started Snowfall on iPlayer last night and loving it.
    I watched three episodes, but its thoroughly depressing, going to give it a miss from now shame, as it started out ok?

Stranger things on Netflix

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Has anyone watched Start Up with Martin Freeman? We watched the first episode last night and I'm a little unmoved. Is it worth persevering?

Master
    I really enjoyed start up, well worth sticking with in my view

Binge watched Stranger Things 2 last weekend. It does not disappoint. Watch out of the meta-references to S1.

Followed that up with Mindhunter based on the recommendations here. Thought the first episode was a bit weak in places, with the writers just using the characters as mouthpieces occasionally, but as soon as Ed Kemper is introduced in Episode 2, I had to keep watching. The pacing is flawless, making it really hard to stop once it gets going.

For anyone on the fence about Mindhunter, and also for those who've seen it, check out this comparison of the fictionalised Ed Kemper vs the real interview footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYBmNYc8IA

Not really spoilers unless you want to go into it completely blind, in which case save this until you've seen episodes 2 & 3, which these clips are from.

Finally, if you found that Fringe filled a hole left by the X-Files and miss having something like that to watch, Mindhunter is basically a non-sci-fi version of the X-Files, with serial killers as the monster of the week. Plus it has Anna Torv in it.

Master
    I’m about 4/5 episodes into Animal Kingdom on Amazon at the minute, not 100% convinced so far but will stick with it a little longer.

Craftsman
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency season 2 is shaping up nicely so far, much more consistent than the first one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    I’m about 4/5 episodes into Animal Kingdom on Amazon at the minute, not 100% convinced so far but will stick with it a little longer.
    Worth sticking with in my view, I really enjoyed both seasons

Finished Stranger Things and I have to say what a great show. Ott of course and a little silly, but you can't help but love the characters. El was a little bit more annoying this time around but in the end it came together really well. I got quite a exhilarating hairs on the back of my neck feeling with the gate scene, although I am probably alone in that. And also the last scenes were poignant, especially with Dustin. Really excellent show imo.

Just started watching Game Of Silence on Amazon, very similar to the film Sleepers, about a young gang of friends getting revenge on correction officers from the past.

Shaping up to be a very good show...

We binge watched The Sinner on Netflix. It starts a bit slow and low-key, but once it gets going, it’s a great story.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency season 2 is shaping up nicely so far, much more consistent than the first one
    Where's the second series? I can't see it on Netflix?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Where's the second series? I can't see it on Netflix?
    Only on amazon atm I'm afraid ..

Master
    Just started watching Jack Whitehall travels with my father on Netflix and it is so good his dad is just hilarious:)

Not new.

I'm a late starter on 'This is England' and the subsequent series.

Far better than I thought it was going to be. Some powerful scenes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Has anyone watched Start Up with Martin Freeman? We watched the first episode last night and I'm a little unmoved. Is it worth persevering?
    Yes, the first season is very good. The second season is ok, but not as good as the first in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Not new.

I'm a late starter on 'This is England' and the subsequent series.

Far better than I thought it was going to be. Some powerful scenes.
    Fantastic drama series they are and powerful is certainly the word!

Kindig Customs on Discovery Turbo. New to me anyway. Another of those US custom modding car shows. This one does some brilliant work and they are proper engineers/mechanics using new and old style fabrication methods with no sales pitch at the end and little discussion of the budget. The guys are bright too. One joke centred on real and imaginary numbers, way over my head. Definitely worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardon View Post
    Narcos is great, season 3 was superb.
    Also a bit older but Fargo if you haven't seen it... brilliant!
    Season 2 is in a class of its own imo.

Thoroughly enjoying Fargo - about 3/4 of the way through Series 1.

Many thanks for the recommendation.

Journeyman
    Gotham the series is excellent!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Ooh, hadnt realised there was a season 2. Enjoyed the first one more than i thought i would

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Only on amazon atm I'm afraid ..
    I opened the Amazon app for the first time in several months earlier specifically because I wanted to check out S2 based on the above. Completely forgot, and ended up accidentally watching Invaders From Mars instead.

We binge watched The Sinner on Netflix. It starts a bit slow and low-key, but once it gets going, it’s a great story.
    If by "starts a but slow" you mean the first few minutes then, yeah, but I'd say it got very explosive very quickly!

Some odd writing choices in the series: the cop's home relationship and other relationship didn't seem necessary for the story at all and that scene with the sisters wasn't really necessary but overall I really liked it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    If by "starts a but slow" you mean the first few minutes then, yeah, but I'd say it got very explosive very quickly!

Some odd writing choices in the series: the cop's home relationship and other relationship didn't seem necessary for the story at all and that scene with the sisters wasn't really necessary but overall I really liked it.
    I watched the first episode but I am struggling with it I just think the acting is a bit naff and I don't know if I can be bothered to continue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Yes, I guess that sounded a bit odd! We didn’t have any idea about the plot, so the main crime came completely out-of-the-blue.

There was a fair bit of moping around and depressing storylines in the first couple of episodes though, and thats what’s worth persevering through.

Its quite dark overall.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I watched the first episode but I am struggling with it I just think the acting is a bit naff and I don't know if I can be bothered to continue with it.
    I don't think the acting was particularly bad, but the naff stylised direction is something that's becoming a hallmark of Netflix originals.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I wasn't going to bother with Discovery as it's been slammed but think I will give it a go after what you guys have said. Love me some Trek
    I’m up to speed with this now, and to be frank, it’s a bit silly.

There’s too many stupid plot devices for my likings (even for broad appeal sci-fi). “Time crystals”, “space whales”, singing-plant planets, and the “spore drive” is unbelievably lame (at best a poorly thought-out copy of Dune, at worst something out of Hitch-Hiker’s). I realise they’re trying to introduce ecological themes, but it’s like they’ve been dreamt up by ten year olds.

Too big an ask in the suspension of disbelief department for me.

Craftsman

Any good New TV Series worth watching

The Punisher on Netflix - Outstanding!
    Jon Bernthal’s acting elevates this one above the rest of the Marvel fayre (not that these are poor either).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tswatch66; 20th November 2017 at 17:18.

Agreed ^^^ Only thing that really bugged me was the terrible music, especially in the Kandahar flashbacks. Other programmes have done it far better and it was odd b/c to date across all the Marvel TV stuff the soundtrack has usually been on the money

Started watching Acquitted on C4/4od but after 3 episodes I gave up. The stunning Norwegian scenery was the best thing about it to be honest.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    The Punisher on Netflix - Outstanding!
    Jon Bernthal’s acting elevates this one above the rest of the Marvel fayre (not that these are poor either).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If only it had a bit more action... I'm half way through the 1st season and I feel like it's been going a bit slow for a Punisher tv-series :/