closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,250 of 5446

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    The original is better
    Hard to compare with them being made so far apart.

I have to say that Sam West's Siegfried is more convincing than Robert Hardy's pantomime version.

Obviously, the remake has Herriot as a Scot, too.

There are, probably, a few too many nods to modern sensibilities, but then the original looks horribly old fashioned.

Some will quibble about Anna Madeley's Mrs Hall character, but I think the writers have done a great job of making her an interesting and complex character and she does a great job of playing the part. Sadly, she's in for some tragic news soon...

I'd say, that for a remake of a much loved series this is a pretty good job and I generally enjoy it.

I wouldn't bother watching re-runs of the original nowadays.

On another note, I'm struggling to find a new series I really enjoy.

I watched series 1 of Peaky Blinders recently, but I found it rather turgid fare and I've not bothered starting to watch series 2. I've also been watching Lucifer (Quite good fun for a while, but then it's just the same over and over again) and SWAT (I was tempted in by Shawn Ryan's involvement, but this is definitely not a new The Shield..). I liked the look of The Defeated, which at least has the decency to be fairly short, but the main character is already proving tiresome two episodes in.

I did, however, enjoy watching Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell again. I'd recently read the book and was intrigued to see how well the series reflected it - I have to say they did a great job.

I'm not sure, though, if it's available on a streaming service anywhere - I got the DVDs as a gift for my birthday.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 19th October 2022 at 11:37.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have just watched 'Tales from The Loop' on Amazon Prime Video.
    An 8 part series about family lives in and around a futuristic 'underground lab' which bends the limits of physics and reality. That description sounds a bit 'Stranger Things', which couldn't be further from the reality.

I really don't know if I thought it was good or not, but it was quite enjoyable in a strange 'arty' way.
    Think 'Simon and Garfunkel meets Short Circuit' and you will be somewhere close.
    Watched this outselves a while ago and really enjoyed it, rather melancholy and introspective which is unusual now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I have to say that Sam West's Siegfried is more convincing than Robert Hardy's pantomime version.

There are, probably, a few too many nods to modern sensibilities, but then the original looks horribly old fashioned.

Some will quibble about Anna Madeley's Mrs Hall character, but I think the writers have done a great job of making her an interesting and complex character and she does a great job of playing the part. Sadly, she's in for some tragic news soon...

I'd say, that for a remake of a much loved series this is a pretty good job and I generally enjoy it.

I watched series 1 of Peaky Blinders recently, but I found it rather turgid fare and I've not bothered starting to watch series 2. I've also been watching Lucifer (Quite good fun for a while, but then it's just the same over and over again) and SWAT (I was tempted in by Shawn Ryan's involvement, but this is definitely not a new The Shield..). I liked the look of The Defeated, which at least has the decency to be fairly short, but the main character is already proving tiresome two episodes in.

I did, however, enjoy watching Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell again. I'd recently read the book and was intrigued to see how well the series reflected it - I have to say they did a great job.

I'm not sure, though, if it's available on a streaming service anywhere - I got the DVDs as a gift for my birthday.

M
    Yes maybe better is wrong, more that the original is locked into my mind and so I can’t see anyone but Christopher Timothy, Peter Davidson et al in the roles. They endure for others as well, there was a show recently which was the two of them on a UK road trip. Just showing my age tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Watched this outselves a while ago and really enjoyed it, rather melancholy and introspective which is unusual now.
    That is a great description...

I think it was the slow-paced melancholic feel which I liked. As you say, it is not often done nowadays but is not to everyone's viewing taste.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just finished the watcher on Netflix - excellent.
    Thought dahmer was fantastic too but cant remember if ive mentioned it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    SWAT is fantastic

Master
    Not a series but 'Last Breath' on Netflix is a documentary about the rescue of a saturation diver, absolutely gripping.

another vote for shantaram - only 3 ep in but 9/10
    interview with the vampire - not too bad and worth a look if there nothing else or you are an anne rice fan on 6.5 /10

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Not a series but 'Last Breath' on Netflix is a documentary about the rescue of a saturation diver, absolutely gripping.
    Definitely, but even better if you don't research the story first!

The Nat Geo documentary on the Thai Cave Dive rescue ("The Rescue") is excellent, too (and I enjoyed the Ron Howard film as well, well worth watching both as they come at the story from different angles).

I see there's a TV series as well, but I've not watched that.

M

Somewhere Boy - C4 - Not bad

The Capture Season 2 - BBC - Pretty good

The Walk-In - ITV - As with most things with Stephen Graham in it, is pretty good.
    Last edited by andy tims; 21st October 2022 at 13:25.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Somewhere Boy - C4 - Not bad

The Capture Season 2 - BBC - Pretty good

The Walk-In - ITV - As with most things with Stephen Graham in it, is pretty good.
    I’m over halfway through The Capture second series and I agree how good it is. Very murky and disturbing in an interesting way!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Needless to say that "The Peripheral" based on the William Gibson book rocks.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8291284/
    Last edited by abraxas; 29th October 2022 at 16:07.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

I'm halfway through the 2nd series of Gangs of London. It's just as horrifically violent qas the 1sr series, but somehow the storyline is improving with each episode

Anyone else got a view on it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Needless to say that "The Peripheral" based on the William Gibson book rocks.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8291284/
    Yes Im enjoying this. Complex on a number of levels.

Craftsman
    Finished House of Dragon and enjoyed it.

Started The Peripheral but thought I'd better stop as after 2 episodes I realised it requires a bit of focus and attention and I'd failed to give it that! Will go back to start and watch again, as it looks really good.

Also started S2 of Gangs of London, really enjoy this show and can't really tell where it's going.

Industry S2 I think is better than the 1st outing. I'm a few eps in and the characters are all still intensely dislikeable, but it's funnier. There is a lot of 'sauce' in this though, can make awkward shared viewing!

Been re-watching The Last Dance with the wife, I'm enjoying it every bit as much second time around. It's truly compelling watching and MJ was just something else.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I'm halfway through the 2nd series of Gangs of London. It's just as horrifically violent qas the 1sr series, but somehow the storyline is improving with each episode

Cracking series, not for the squeamish.

i finished it yesterday , another cracking series.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i finished it yesterday , another cracking series.
    How have you managed that, they've only made 3 episodes available so far :)

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post

It's all available on Sky Atlantic, at least that's where I am getting from

theres plenty of places to get the full season if you know where to look.

Journeyman
    Gangs of London - totally OTT but great fun. Great ending to series 2. Where are all the police though?

Craftsman
    It's all available on Sky Atlantic, at least that's where I am getting from
    That's so weird, didn't show for me??

That is odd. My Sky Q Box just offers me the next episode when the previous one is finishing

Sorry, can't offer more help than that

John

Craftsman
    That is odd. My Sky Q Box just offers me the next episode when the previous one is finishing

Sorry, can't offer more help than that

John
    No worries, at least I know they will be available in 'other places' when I am ready to binge!

Craftsman
    I know this isn’t the usual type of program to list but I watched I Can See Your Voice last night, which was quite cheesy but very compelling and watchable!!

If anyone else watched it, I’m trying to find out the song that the contestant Tour Guide sung? Can anyone help?

Tour Guide sang the old Jackie Wilson song, Reet Petite.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    My mate is one of the team divers, but not in the documentary.

Master
    No worries, at least I know they will be available in 'other places' when I am ready to binge!

Very strange, I have them all too.

Impressed more with the second series, and I loved the first!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aftershock: Everest and the Nepal Earthquake (Netflix) recounts the 2015 Gorkha Earthquake and immediate aftermath from three key areas of the country, drawing extensively on first-hand accounts. The images of the devastation in the Langtang Valley alone are deeply moving and make it easy to envisage the level of destruction that killed nearly 9000 people and made 3.5 million homeless. It's a disaster close to many of our hearts, numerous members supported Seikopath's fundraising efforts to help relieve the terrible suffering. It's a three episode documentary well worth watching.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Tour Guide sang the old Jackie Wilson song, Reet Petite.
    Thank you very much. I am aware that the lady with the guitar sung an excellent version of Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver.

We finished House of the Dragon and Gangs of London S2 this week. Both superb.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Started The Peripheral but thought I'd better stop as after 2 episodes I realised it requires a bit of focus and attention and I'd failed to give it that! Will go back to start and watch again, as it looks really good.
    Same here. I have also watched the first two episodes, and have mostly kept up with it, though I didn't quite get what a peripheral is, or how it would protect Flynne. I wondered if Christopher Nolan had a hand in it, as it's right up his alternate reality street, and it turns out his brother Jonathon Nolan is an executive producer. Promising so far, so long as it doesn't disappear up its own wazoo.

Just finished The Sandman on Netflix, was decent, apart from the last episode which was very random and did not really fit in with the rest of the story line

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Same here. I have also watched the first two episodes, and have mostly kept up with it, though I didn't quite get what a peripheral is, or how it would protect Flynne. I wondered if Christopher Nolan had a hand in it, as it's right up his alternate reality street, and it turns out his brother Jonathon Nolan is an executive producer. Promising so far, so long as it doesn't disappear up its own wazoo.
    Yes it's a thinker alright! The Nolan/Westworld link was what drew me in, was featured in the marketing for the show. Will clear the decks on the other things I'm watching and then go back to this!

Blog Entries
    Though I was a big fan, I never got around to watching Homeland S8 - so did that over the last 2 weeks; Carrie Matheson could be the next James Bond!

Master
    SAS-Rogue Heroes.

Interested to know what others thought of this. Tbh we were a bit disappointed. But, everything has to be portrayed in a certain way these days regardless of historical accuracy. WW2 Soldiers did not say effing this and that all the time for example. Unlike Peaky Blinders that Steven Knight also screenwrote, this is or should be based less loosely on facts and real events iop. Those guys in the documentary on 3 interviewed in 1987 were nothing like those portrayed. Have to see how it develops. Love war stuff so won't stop watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    SAS-Rogue Heroes.

Interested to know what others thought of this. Tbh we were a bit disappointed. But, everything has to be portrayed in a certain way these days regardless of historical accuracy. WW2 Soldiers did not say effing this and that all the time for example. Unlike Peaky Blinders that Steven Knight also screenwrote, this is or should be based less loosely on facts and real events iop. Those guys in the documentary on 3 interviewed in 1987 were nothing like those portrayed. Have to see how it develops. Love war stuff so won't stop watching it.
    I thought it poor as a historical drama and, if it was trying to emulate Peaky Blinders, a swaggering, yarn with a dark humour, think Arfur and Alfie Solomons. It was clumsy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All creatures great and small revamp. Brilliant series and a perfect Sunday night viewing. Season three was excellent. Highly recommended

I just watched the three series of the detectorists excellent dry funny best I've seen in a while hope they do another series 4 also a nice yellow Triumph TR7 in.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    I just watched the three series of the detectorists excellent dry funny best I've seen in a while hope they do another series 4 also a nice yellow Triumph TR7 in.
    Sort of....

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/685...rists-special/

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    SAS-Rogue Heroes.

I felt much the same.

I wasn't particularly impressed (unlike many, I found Peaky Blinders rather dull - I watched the first series, but haven't felt the urge to watch any more), but I'll give the next episode a go as the first perhaps suffered from trying to introduce us to a lot of characters and their personalities.

M

Hmm caught most of the first episode, thought it's Khaki Blinders, still Sunday night telly and not to be taken seriously, but the actor playing Paddy Mayne doesn't look to be nearly big and burly enough... though not quite as badly miscast as Cruise playing Reacher.

Master
    Another +1 for Yellowstone, can’t wait for season 5 to start in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    All creatures great and small revamp. Brilliant series and a perfect Sunday night viewing. Season three was excellent. Highly recommended
    Having watched the original series they had very big boots to fill and I was expecting it to be awful, but it's a fine series.

Started Peripheral last night. pilot a bit slow/confusing in parts, wife unsure about it but the ending did enough to keep me.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Hmm caught most of the first episode, thought it's Khaki Blinders, still Sunday night telly and not to be taken seriously, but the actor playing Paddy Mayne doesn't look to be nearly big and burly enough... though not quite as badly miscast as Cruise playing Reacher.
    I agree, Paddy Mayne played Rugby for Ireland, Jimmy Nail in his prime would have carried Maine off, but not with a Geordie accent mind!

I'm enjoying the Devils Hour on Prime, creepy but very good.

May have been mentioned before, but Deadwind on netflix, back for session 3. Dark Scandi crime series with a somewhat troubled female lead. A cut above, imo.

I know the Bridge did this first, but this is a good fix for those who miss it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I agree, Paddy Mayne played Rugby for Ireland, Jimmy Nail in his prime would have carried Maine off, but not with a Geordie accent mind!
    He was also British and Irish Lion!
    Re the show I will watch the next episode but I am undecided

Quote Originally Posted by thechatteringclasses View Post
    May have been mentioned before, but Deadwind on netflix, back for session 3. Dark Scandi crime series with a somewhat troubled female lead. A cut above, imo.

I know the Bridge did this first, but this is a good fix for those who miss it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Yes Deadwind is very good , also Trapped an Icelandic thriller is up there as well

Master
    Stranger things 4, watched 1,2,3 previously.