closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC SBS Resurrection - Stage 1

Craftsman

CWC SBS Resurrection - Stage 1

SBSs' are hard to find in any condition. I've been wanting an issued SBS watch for sometime but they usually get snapped up on eBay for the asking price so the chances of picking up a cheap SBS are long gone. The next best thing is to find one in need of TLC. A fellow CWC collector was kind enough to sell me one of his 'basket case watches' to get me off his back. I've rebuilt a few CWC quartz divers watches with the help of Bobsy in Singapore but I think this SBS takes the prize for bringing something back to life.

Stage 1 was to strip, clean and rebuild the watch using a standard RND dial to get the watch running. The very fine powder found under the bezel and lack of corrosion on the main case and case back suggested that the watch had come to grief in fresh water and may have spent sometime face down in the mud before being discovered. The case cleaned up well and with a new crystal and crown was ready to go. I had a RN diver built up sans case back so opted to remove the module complete from the RND and drop it into the SBS case. True to form the ETA 955.122 keeps accurate time.

Stage 2 will be to replace the dial and bezel when and if I can find a SBS dial and better bezel or donor watch to rob the parts from.

The photographs will take you through stage 1.

The rebuild was quite straight forward and Bobsy soon had the watch up and running completing stage 1. Thanks Bobsy for another great job.

If anyone has a spare SBS dial or donor watch, I would certainly like to hear from you so we can complete stage 2.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 10th January 2016 at 14:39.

Craftsman
    Its looking good Terry, I even like the bezel in its "as found" condition, perhaps its better than a new bezel as it shows the hard life it has had.

Banned
    That's a good job well done.

I can't help feeling if it was a 50 year old Rolex you could have called it patina and sold in for thousands 😉

Good yob!

Journeyman

Cwc

Nice job, I've done a lot of those in that condition, people leave the crowns out & go swimming in them.
    Bezels are available , it just tidies them up, and it looks as if someone cares.

SBS

I think that looks wonderful Terry - I certainly wouldn't change the bezel.

Kind regards,
    Martyn.

Craftsman
    Terry - i too think that looks great as is. Good luck with finding a SBS dial.

Kind regards
    Paul

Apprentice

CWC PVD CASE

I have own several CWC SBS watches and I find they PVD plating to be incredibly durable and I have to say I have put them through hell but the watch I these images looks good with a bit of wear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.charlton View Post
    Its looking good Terry, I even like the bezel in its "as found" condition, perhaps its better than a new bezel as it shows the hard life it has had.
    I agree with that.........I think the bezel makes it tbh

Lovely job. I'd definitely leave the bezel as it is. Adds a character to the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk