closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My drip fund has started - I'm smitten after a lunchtime dealer visit (Rolex content)

My drip fund has started - I'm smitten after a lunchtime dealer visit (Rolex content)

After much window shopping, I took some time this lunch time to try on 2 Rolexes that I've had in my sights for some time now. I've a few years until the big 5-0 and my wife has promised me my first Rolex!

The Explorer II in white was just gorgeous. Whatever I buy, I don't want it to send my black Bond SMP to the drawer, so the white face interests me. Particularly liked the all brushed look. To persuade me more, the current model's GMT hand harks back to the hand in the 1971 model (or so I was told!). That's my birth year, making this watch a GMT handed birth year kind of thing! That asides, its VERY nice.

Then, while I was there I tried on a Milgauss. Black/grey dial with the green glass. Oh dear... I've a quandary now. I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I do!! The size is just right. The green glass adds a little something. For me, I thought I'd hate the polished centre links but they look fine.

I looked very closely at the Submariners - but didn't try them on. I can't get on with the bling of these new Subs. Maybe it was the overpowering halogen lighting in the dealers... but they had way too much in the way of shiny bits for my taste. I suspect I'd get on well with a vintage 5513 though....

So, that's what I'll obsess and deliberate over for the next while as the drip fund grows. Just the matter of a long term self imposed ban from SC!!
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 7th January 2016 at 14:46.

I don't like that GMT, personally, but I could certainly wear the Milgauss.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't like that GMT, personally, but I could certainly wear the Milgauss. M.
    I'm in completely the opposite camp. I think the Explorer is lovely, I definitely couldn't live with the Milgauss...!

So we're no help to the OP at all, are we!?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't like that GMT, personally, but I could certainly wear the Milgauss.

M.
    That camera phone pic makes it look disproportionately larger than it was in reality. I went in to try that one alone on.... but the more I look at these two, the Milgauss has something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I'm in completely the opposite camp. I think the Explorer is lovely, I definitely couldn't live with the Milgauss...!

Simon
    Aye... thanks very much chaps lol!! I've plenty of time as I save up. The proper answer is "both" for the afflicted is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Aye... thanks very much chaps lol!! I've plenty of time as I save up. The proper answer is "both" for the afflicted is it not?
    Always happy to be of assistance :) !

Simon

Master
    Were they new or pre-owned? Remember pre-owned examples can be as new and save you money and interest free over 3 or 4 years gets you a nice watch for sensible money pm

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Were they new or pre-owned? Remember pre-owned examples can be as new and save you money and interest free over 3 or 4 years gets you a nice watch for sensible money pm
    These were new - but I'll be looking for pre owned.

Master
    Both lovely watches, which very differently, I like the Milgauss as it will dress up and dow, but not the green glassed version. The explorer is a rough and ready watch and I love the white dial, it pops so much more then the black dial.

Master
    Cant understand your point about the shiny bits on the sub the milgausses amount of bling dosnt look that differant to me ?

Master
    Really like the new Explorers but wish they were 40mm. The milgauss is quite heavy i thought.

Should my wife ever buy me a Rolex, she said it would be a Milgauss.

I think the Milgauss is one of those watches where you have to try it on, and then you really know if it's for you or not. It's easy to form an opinion from photos (I did) but after I tried one on a the behest of my wife, I completely changed my mind.

That Milgauss looks lovely, really like the Grey/Orange/Green colour combo actually.

Master
    try the blue dialled milgauss if you can

its much nicer than photos suggest

Master
    The Milgauss coordinates strangely well with your shirt. It may be the only watch that does! ;-)

Master
    I thought I'd like the new Explorer 11 (after finding the previous model too small and flimsy) but found it very massive on the wrist when I tried one on. I hadn't really considered that Milgauss, but looking at it up there in comparison......... I may have to try one on.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I agree with that - if you're going to buy a weird watch, go for the max weirdness!

And I much prefer the black-dialled Explorer, really a nice hark back to the 1655 Freccione.
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 7th January 2016 at 15:43.

Master
    Good luck deciding... I was convinced I was buying the white dialled ExpII or a GMTc before trying either on.... end up getting the black dialled ExpII which wasn't even on the shortlist. I think the white just made the ExpII appear a little bigger on my wrist.

Explorer sits very flat on the wrist. Very different to a ceramic sub or GMT. The bigger case makes is so

Of the two, I prefer the milgauss. My favourite milgauss was the now discontinued black dial. It had a matte finish which looked very slick

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Cant understand your point about the shiny bits on the sub the milgausses amount of bling dosnt look that differant to me ?
    Its the hour markers in the dial that I dislike - they're white gold aren't they? In the lights... they seemed a bit much to me (although I get what you mean... the Milgauss has plenty of bling in its own way).

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

its much nicer than photos suggest
    Unfortunately they didn't have that in stock. It would work well for me as its a nice change from my black SMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The Milgauss coordinates strangely well with your shirt. It may be the only watch that does! ;-)
    You're right... although I now know why the white Explorer looks worse in the pic than in real life - I needed a shirt on with white in it! I've a clash going on there!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Explorer sits very flat on the wrist. Very different to a ceramic sub or GMT. The bigger case makes is so

Of the two, I prefer the milgauss. My favourite milgauss was the now discontinued black dial. It had a matte finish which looked very slick
    That was very noticeable - the Explorer sat very flat.

The Milgauss GV is a stunning watch in bright light and the green glass just makes it a bit special. I owned one but found that in normal to low lights the tinted glass made the dial a bit darker hence I sold it.

I bought a black dial Exp2 42mm for my 40th a couple of years ago. I'd liked the look of them for ages. I didn't want a common or garden Submariner, mainly because of the crap I received from a few friends about the GMT 2c I used to have, and while I did like the GMT (and was forced to sell it to fund a car restoration) I couldn't face paying the £2k more it cost after five years of price rises! The only thing that would have changed my mind about the Exp2 was the BLNB GMT2c, which I think is a lovely watch.

So, I'm very happy with my Exp2 but I do sometimes find it uncomfortable. I like 42mm watches, I'm wearing an Autavia 11630 right now, but the crown is on the left and the watch is comfortable enough that I don't notice it. I do with the Exp2, and the crown leaves a mark on my hand. It's something to consider, especially if you've tried a Sub or SD at 40mm. The Milgaus is a watch I like very much and it flies even further under the radar than the Exp2.
    "A man of little significance"

My drip fund has started - I'm smitten after a lunchtime dealer visit (Rolex ...

Lovely watches both of them. I prefer the explorer myself, and the fact that the GMT hand can be set to a different time zone also makes it functionally more attractive than the original 1655. But I would go for the black dialled version. The white one is slightly reminiscent of something Fisher-Price would design.

Master
    Contrary to what people say its only when you try on a watch that you know which is right for you.I previously had a sub date and although i only have smallish wrists it always looked a little small.

I tried on most of the range at my friendly Rolex AD and the Explorer 11 because it wears flat does not seem to be too large at 42mm.

Pre owned is the way to go but good discounts can be had on a new one due to it not being the most popular choice from the Rolex stable.

I settled for the white face because i am now retired and spend a few months of the year in the sun and for me a white face seems to come into its own in the bright blue skies of Spain or Australia.

A nice choice whichever you go for and mine says hello...

Journeyman
    I quite fancy the white faced explore II and the pre owned prices are really good compared to the subs and GMTs. There's also the fact that I haven't got a white watch so I could justify having it and not selling anything ;)

Master
    I had a GMT IIc and nearly added the Milgauss, but never quite felt comfortable with the GMT IIc... a little too flashy for me - a man who doesn't even own a tie, suit or any shiny shoes.

So I sold it and bought the Polar Explorer 42mm (as per your OP), and have never looked back.

It's the only watch I wear, and after 2.5 years of daily wear it still looks fantastic, oh and I timed it over the last week to +0.3s/day :-)

A few other watches came and went - none lasted more than a month as I realised nothing else would shift the ExpII off my wrist.

However, horses-for-courses; I am certain there are many here who would never swap a GMT IIc for an Exp II.

Ultimately, only you know what will suit you best, depending on what sort of person you are!

On reflection tonight.... I'm preferring the Milgauss. I've noticed that the hour markers on the Explorer II are VERY similar to those on my SMP. I like that the Milgauss (with its batons) is completely different to what I have.

Now... time to divide the realistic used price by the number of months until my big birthday and get saving! Would you reckon £3k would grab one with box & papers or is that a tad optimistic?

Master
    Has to be the Milgauss providing it sits well on your wrist in normal wear. To my eyes it's the rebel of the main Rolex range and as has been said is more versatile than the Exp 2 in that it will easily dress up or down whilst looking classy but relatively understated. To my eye white faces can look a bit blingy unless done like an ultra simple dress watch such as Nomos do.

Enjoy the anticipation though as it really is a huge part of the fun! Unlike being 50.

Apprentice
    Nice conundrum to have

My money would be in the Milgauss though, Not biased at all of course lol

I know over the festive period mine attracted a lot of attention from friends and family as it looks a little different from most Rolex in my opinion with the green glass.

Master
    On reflection tonight.... I'm preferring the Milgauss. I've noticed that the hour markers on the Explorer II are VERY similar to those on my SMP. I like that the Milgauss (with its batons) is completely different to what I have.

Now... time to divide the realistic used price by the number of months until my big birthday and get saving! Would you reckon £3k would grab one with box & papers or is that a tad optimistic?
    Mays Pawnbrokers have one near me and it's 'reduced' to £4750 as new they are £5k+. I think £4k may be a better point.

http://www.miltonaires.com/?s=milgau...roduct&submit=

http://www.watches.co.uk/watches/rol...ches/milgauss/

Have a look at Iconic see what they have

Apprentice
    I would also vote Milgauss. It looks cooler and more subtle.
    I have a 114060 and although I love it. It does sit very proud and clunky on the wrist.
    Milgauss looks to sit better and is so cool.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    Agreed on all counts. But I do prefer the black faced Explorer so even less help.

Blog Entries
    The black faced Explorer II is a fantastic watch and the only reason I flipped mine was that it slightly too big for me. Otherwise it would have been a keeper.
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 7th January 2016 at 22:47.

Have you tried the 40mm expII?

A 40mm polar with a nicely aged tritium dial would be my ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Have you tried the 40mm expII?

A 40mm polar with a nicely aged tritium dial would be my ideal.
    No... this was my first outing to try them on in my local AD.

Tonight... I like aspects of BOTH the explorer ii and the milgauss. If the explorer was coming in significantly cheaper used, that may swing it back in its favour.

I think you may tire of the Milgauss - to me the Explorer II has more class and is just timeless - and much fresher in that crisp white (or is it polar white?). I think you would miss the date and that silly seconds hand would really annoy me. Happy to help !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    that silly seconds hand would really annoy me.
    And me. There's too much polished on the Milgauss for me - I'm always startled by how blingy they look in the flesh - but the lightning hand, for me, migrates from novelty to silly in, well, a flash.

I have all three watches in your pic the SMP, Milguass and 42mm Explorer. I wear the Explorer II and SMP most out of all my watches with the exception of my WG Daytona. I love the fact it's a white dial EXPII and most of my collection are black or blue dials - so it's nice to be able to have a different choice and look. I think the case shape is fantastic. The Milguass is also a great case, but with iron cage inside it does have a bit of heft to it - I've never worn this, my current GV in the years that I've owned it though - bit like some of my other watches, I just like owning it and occasionally looking at them - the EXPII and SMP get worn, a lot.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    I have not had any Explorer but have the millie (the GV, the only), Ceramic sub and Daytona.

I long hesitate for the Milgauss and yet now it's the ine i wear the most out of all the watches.
    It's not heavier than ceramic subs or gmt for instance.

Yes the daytona is a bit more comfy but there is nothing bad about the GV. In fact i do prefer the small buckle to the long dive buckle.

And yes the Milgauss is right with every outfit and never boring.
    That's its big advantage over the daytona.

If you go by and try them again, please go with a white, black or grey shirt. So you won't be disturbed by the colors you carry on your left arm.

Thanks again for the comments. Very very helpful. Luckily (or not) I'm saving up for a fair while for this. I'll not be rushing in. As for where I'm at...... I've flipped right back to where my gut started : the 42mm explorer is more my thing.

Master
    Is the Milgauss GV still in production? Because, the day it isn't ...

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Is the Milgauss GV still in production? Because, the day it isn't ...
    Yes, but black and white dial versions have been pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
    I have not had any Explorer but have the millie (the GV, the only), Ceramic sub and Daytona.

I long hesitate for the Milgauss and yet now it's the ine i wear the most out of all the watches.
    It's not heavier than ceramic subs or gmt for instance.

Yes the daytona is a bit more comfy but there is nothing bad about the GV. In fact i do prefer the small buckle to the long dive buckle.

And yes the Milgauss is right with every outfit and never boring.
    That's its big advantage over the daytona.

If you go by and try them again, please go with a white, black or grey shirt. So you won't be disturbed by the colors you carry on your left arm.
    The Milgauss is a little heavier than the GMTc, and about the same weight as the SubC - although it appears to wear heavier for me - the weight is more compact and concentrated in the watch head, whereas the SubC gas a bit more weight in the glide lock clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, but black and white dial versions have been pulled.
    So just the blue dial is available now? Just looked on the rolex website and indeed, it's just showing the blue dial.

Thanks again for the comments. Very very helpful. Luckily (or not) I'm saving up for a fair while for this. I'll not be rushing in. As for where I'm at...... I've flipped right back to where my gut started : the 42mm explorer is more my thing.
    Iconic have a good discount on these at the moment:
    http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/our-b...r-ii-42mm.html

I am in the same dilemma. I have a life event coming in the next few years and I have told myself I will buy myself a new Rolex from an AD to celebrate. I have a GMTII BLNR in my sights but the ExpII 42mm is my standby.

I currently have a 17 year old polar ExpII 40mm which I love but sometimes struggle to read in low light due to my crappy eyesight :-)