closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prepayment meters

Prepayment meters

My parents are just about to move into a new flat which has a prepayment meter installed.

Anybody got any experience of getting one removed and going to credit? Do you register with current supplier and then ask them or is it better to sign up with a different provider on condition they remove?

I guess whoever provides will push a 'smart meter' which i would prefer not to have until the tech is supplier independent and more proven.

Thanks.

Strange isn't it, that those who pay in advance are charged more for their gas & electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Strange isn't it, that those who pay in advance are charged more for their gas & electricity.
    Not anymore you can choose a tariff exactly the same as someone paying monthly. Wasn't the case before and was a disgusting way of exploiting those who could least afford it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    My parents are just about to move into a new flat which has a prepayment meter installed.

Anybody got any experience of getting one removed and going to credit? Do you register with current supplier and then ask them or is it better to sign up with a different provider on condition they remove?

I guess whoever provides will push a 'smart meter' which i would prefer not to have until the tech is supplier independent and more proven.

Thanks.
    The tech is supplier independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Not anymore you can choose a tariff exactly the same as someone paying monthly. Wasn't the case before and was a disgusting way of exploiting those who could least afford it.
    Good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    The tech is supplier independent.

Not yet it isn't, not until the second generation SMETS2 meters roll out, current meters lose most of their smart features when you change supplier

Master
    The first flat I bought was an ex council place with prepayment meters. It was actually pretty simple (and if I remember correctly, free) to replace both.

Disgraceful how the utility companies were permitted to charge those who could least afford it so much more back then though. Con artists

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Not yet it isn't, not until the second generation SMETS2 meters roll out, current meters lose most of their smart features when you change supplier
    The SMETS2 rollout has started (just).You can order a SMETS2 meter today if you wish to.

The SMETS2 rollout has started (just).You can order a SMETS2 meter today if you wish to.
    Pre-pay SMETS2 ? Where?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had 2 removed- no problem as long as you can pass a credit check. Make sure they get readings as soon as they move in and that the account is put in their names before they start paying anything, I had one that had a debt logged against it, the first time I loaded it up I got £4 of credit for £40 - I got it back but it was a right song and dance. Also make sure the emergency is reset too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    IIRC I got the current provider to switch me to their standard tariff then switched to the best deal I could through a cash back site.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    Pre-pay SMETS2 ? Where?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Who said pre-pay? The OP states his parents want change to a credit meter. Regardless, the pre-payment solution is live, although the only installs to date have been credit meters.

Who said pre-pay? The OP states his parents want change to a credit meter. Regardless, the pre-payment solution is live, although the only installs to date have been credit meters.
    So which suppliers are currently installing SMETs2 meters? Last i read was trials end of this year and roll out early next year.
    I've still got an old dial meter and am getting fed up with EON's constant phone calls and letters the last few months, telling me they need to swap it for a new, not-so-smart SMETs1

Master
    So which suppliers are currently installing SMETs2 meters? Last i read was trials end of this year and roll out early next year.
    I've still got an old dial meter and am getting fed up with EON's constant phone calls and letters the last few months, telling me they need to swap it for a new, not-so-smart SMETs1
    I'm directly involved with the SMIP programme and would not wish to break any rules by discussing specific supplier roll out plans on a public forum. I can say though that currently two large suppliers have completed SMETS2 installs. If you don't want a SMETS1 meter my advice is to phone your supplier and request a SMETS2 device. The solution is live and there are full functionality meters on the CPL and available to be installed, the only potential barrier would be your specific supplier's roll out plan.

Make sure when they move in they get on the electoral role straight away, I forgot to do that and because I wasnt failed the credit check 3 times.... couldnt understand it and took me 6 months to get to the bottom of and sort out!

Craftsman
    Reviving this thread from the depths - the link is rather useful!

We've just moved house and it has pre-payment meters. We had no info on previous energy supplier so went through a load of online hassle with British Gas (they wouldn't allow me to switch over the phone, and had to use their online switching service). Two pre-payment cards arrived which I topped up by £99 on both but didn't seem to appear on the apps "my payments" section - didn't think too much of it as I had infinity unpacking to do and a new puppy to contend with. The weekend arrived and the gas switched off. Seems the top ups hadn't worked and no amount of expletive laden torch lit number prodding on the meters would get the codes from the top up to work. Helpfully their phone lines are closed over the weekend, and the British Gas guide for the specific meters instructs to press keys that don't exist - so the Emergency credit feature didn't stand a chance of working and so I'm using the heat of my wifes burning anger to heat the house currently!

(She implied that she should have done the switch as she'd have got it done with no problem - I'm resisting a Dear Wife post!!)

Will be on the phone first thing, armed with info from that link (plus I took screenshots of all BG switching process stages and top ups), getting it all hopefully sorted!

/mini-rant over!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doesn't everyone pay in advance these days?

Quote Originally Posted by poloman View Post
    I'm using the heat of my wifes burning anger to heat the house currently!
    Made me smile. Good luck getting it sorted.

Energy companies, like car insurance companies, are the worse. Legalised robbery!