closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bandol - South of France. 'Been there, done that' sort of comments please

Blog Entries

Bandol - South of France. 'Been there, done that' sort of comments please

Right, my oldest son and I are off to Bandol at the end of February. He's been invited to come over for a trainings week with a couple of other sailors from Holland, France, Belgium, Germany and the UK. I'll be the designated driver/spare part carrier/boat lifter/catering guy etc. My wife is the sponsor - she just provides the money and stays at home.

I've never been to Bandol and I'm wondering if fellow forumites here are familiar with Bandol, the area around the town etc. I have to spend 8 days there, mostly on shore. At least I hope that the weather will be fine so that I can sit outside a café or bistro.

Sort of 'been there, done that' situation would be great. Just letting me know a few nice details and do's and don'ts

Apparently, last year the weather was not too good. Lots of wind and pretty cold... (My son hopes that this year the wind will be as strong as last year... Waves were up to 5 meters high...)

Menno

Eric Sykes loved the place, so far I haven't been so will be interested in the replies, hope to be back in Le Luc around May so may check it out.

^^ I used to hang around le luc, draguignan , vidauban, but I think we've had this conversation ...
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    ^^ I used to hang around le luc, draguignan , vidauban, but I think we've had this conversation ...
    Ah yes I seem to remember,,,we do have a soft spot for the area.

Blog Entries
    Back from 9 days in Bandol, apart from 4 days driving (driving alone - so I took my time to do the 2x 1300 kms)

We came for the sea and wind. That are the two things interesting for a dinghy sailor - and his dad, because that gave me time to spend on coffee, Bandol wine etc. A great week!

Bandol is one of the only villages (small towns?) no hibernating until April. Having said that, many shops are closed and only opened during the weekend. Restaurants are open. And the food is great! For wine and food, it's really recommended! Given the size of the yachts in the harbour, a lot of well-to-do owners spend their days in Bandol. Perhaps it's not Monaco, but a lot of these ships are really large!

Driving the peages from north to south is a bliss compared with the current state of the German Autobahn! Granted, you can't put the pedal on the floor in France (130kms/hr limit), but with a 2600 kms trip and only one 5 min traffic jam during the trip, you can see why I love these peages. A very welcome alternative when you consider a trip to (e.g) Switzerland or Italy!

Menno

Did you have a blast round the Paul Ricard circuit whilst you were there?

I used to go to the Bol d'or every year until they moved it to Magny Cours.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Did you have a blast round the Paul Ricard circuit whilst you were there?

I used to go to the Bol d'or every year until they moved it to Magny Cours.
    Always stayed at Bandol for the Bol'dor. Good memories
    And now it's back at Paul Ricard it might be time to revisit.

Well worth going to a place called Cassis, only about 30 min from Bandol. The town is very picturesque, and the coast line is beautiful (checkout "Callanques de cassis").

Blog Entries
    No not to Cassis, although I heared nice things about the town.
    One afternoon, the wind was too strong to sail safely (gusts 40+ knots) so we went to Hyeres for an afternoon karting with the kids. (Heyeres, near the airport). A well-equipped facility: lots of karts, fast, safety was a strong point. Recommended for 'kids' between 12 and 88...

What helped was the fact that we had a bunch of wonderful kids with us (22 kids): cheerful, friendly and paying attention when they were asked to listen.

Menno