closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I love it, always have. Just can't bring myself to buy it.

Master

I love it, always have. Just can't bring myself to buy it.

Tank Solo XL....Picture borrowed.

ml_image.2992888 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

I love this watch, always have, I just can't bring myself to buy it.
    http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...888&pi=5516898

RRP...£2490

Reasons....
    Not in house movement.
    Inside is the Cartier 049 calibre, which is actually the tried and tested ETA 2892.
    Described as 'entry level'.
    It's not a watch for a WIS.
    Poor resale, I should imagine.
    Expensive, not sure about that.

C'mon put me outa my misery for once an for all...Please.

Master
    Just buy it used?

Just do it, or track down a like new, used example.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Let your heart rule your head! You'll find it liberating

Master
    https://www.chronext.co.uk/cartier/t...w5200027/S7989

£1970 at Chronext before forum discount... there are certainly brands that will charge a lot more for an ETA movement that have IMHO less heritage. Doesn't strike me as an awful price?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Reasons....
    "Not in house movement. Inside is the Cartier 049 calibre, which is actually the tried and tested ETA 2892. "-- this is not a bad movement by any means- an in house movement will almost always increase the rrp--

"Described as 'entry level'." -- an entry level Cartier watch is a good watch if Cartier is your thing. The vast majority of people who see it will not be bothered that it is entry level (I wouldn't know or care!). How many people complain about owning Patek Aquanauts? (Apologies all if there is another, cheaper, patek, but you get my point)

"It's not a watch for a WIS." -- do you consider yourself a wis?! If so, it must be a watch for a wis! From one watch enthusiast to another, I wouldn't criticise you (or anyone else) for buying a watch you like. It's tempting to want to feel validated by other people on this forum, but really it only matters what you think and what you like. There's a lot to be said for someone sticking with their own identity and it's always refreshing to see collections that contain lots of variety--

"Poor resale, I should imagine." -- are you thinking of selling already?! The reality is that this hobby costs money- I realised a while ago that you can't just buy subs and speedy's the whole time; it's more fun to take a risk occasionally!--

"Expensive, not sure about that."-- this is true, but there are more expensive watches with similar movements so not extraordinarily expensive I don't think--

The watch is not to my personal tastes, but I think if you like it then you should get it and worry about the resale if/ when it happens! Also, try to get a discount if you can :)

I've had my eye on one of these for a while. I love the look of them and will definitely be buying one in the not too distant. It's a solid movement used in recognised brand, is it a wis watch? If you care that much then move on

I love it, always have. Just can't bring myself to buy it.

The Solo seems to be generally well received but has lots of subtle 'entry level features' -Watchprosite comparison of the Solo vs the Tank Louis Cartier: http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...798&pi=5523383

Emphasises all the finer details and 'what you could have won'.

If the Tank Louis Cartier is beyond reach, there's always the Tank MC which should scratch the WIS itch:

Go try the Solo on, see if it does it for you. I bought a Tank Française Chronoreflex which is against the grain but I really like it.
    Last edited by AKM; 1st January 2016 at 21:13.

I have this...

2002 SS Cartier Tank Francaise Grande Ref 2564. Quite scarce model only available for a few years.

Mark

Master
    So. How's the forum doing so far to put you out of your misery, OP?

It didn't help me, just ordered from chrononext and the smaller Quartz for the Mrs:)

Craftsman
    I love it too, but when I tried it on it wore a little too big for me.
    I was absolutely gutted and had to walk away.

Master
    I love Cartier watches - they just have a classic look about them. I wouldn't buy one new or with a lot of complications. But a tank 3 hander on a leather or crocodile strap looks the part. Rose gold looks fantastic imo. Just a lovely dress watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    So. How's the forum doing so far to put you out of your misery, OP?
    All very positive at the moment ;-))

Thanks all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    The Solo seems to be generally well received but has lots of subtle 'entry level features' -Watchprosite comparison of the Solo vs the Tank Louis Cartier: http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...798&pi=5523383

Emphasises all the finer details and 'what you could have won'.

If the Tank Louis Cartier is beyond reach, there's always the Tank MC which should scratch the WIS itch:

Go try the Solo on, see if it does it for you. I bought a Tank Française Chronoreflex which is against the grain but I really like it.
    Prefer the Solo, I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    It didn't help me, just ordered from chrononext and the smaller Quartz for the Mrs:)
    What was the 'forum discount' mentioned above may I ask, on the gents?

Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post
    I have this...

2002 SS Cartier Tank Francaise Grande Ref 2564. Quite scarce model only available for a few years.

Mark
    Nice, is that the model also known as the 'Yearling'? How does it wear on the wrist? - the ordinary Tank Françaises are very small with the bracelet removed.

Master
    What was the 'forum discount' mentioned above may I ask, on the gents?
    PM Kaiserphoenix Dave. Or use Tube100 if you're in a rush (forum discount is slightly more)

Prefer the Solo, I think.
    Always buy the model you really want. I doubt anyone here would talk you down from a purchase.

Incidentally, the used prices on the Solo seem quite high which suggests it holds its value well though Cartier prices can be fickle according to what is still in the current collection and in fashion.

I keep thinking that I might sell off a few watches and get a 38mm Calibre de Cartier.

Journeyman
    I can see myself wearing that watch and I look good :)

Entry level --> who cares
    Not WIS --> I wouldn't know why not. Cartier is a respected watch brand with a long and rich history, and the tank is a great design icon.

If you are looking for someone to talk you out of buyong a watch, I Think you came to the wrong place ;)

Master
    Don't buy it, Dave.

Cartier sold their soul to the Devil a long time ago, when they went downmarket with 'le Must'.

They've been struggling to regain the high ground ever since and their high-end stuff is excellent, but the brand's devalued.

Most of the fashion brands are frowned upon here, but they are watches and that's what we like, so if you like it then buy it, it shouldn't matter what others think.
    I think it's a nice looking watch and would buy one if I wanted too.

Master
    Sorry but just not a brand that carries weight for me now. I'd only buy it if confident it would hold its value.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    PM Kaiserphoenix Dave. Or use Tube100 if you're in a rush (forum discount is slightly more)
    Tube100 voucher code gives an extra £118 discount, making it £1842....26% below RRP.

Banned
    If At first You Don't Succeed Redefine Success !

RRP...£2490

Reasons....
    Not in house movement.
    Inside is the Cartier 049 calibre, which is actually the tried and tested ETA 2892.

If you really love that watches BUY IT, you only live once so enjoy the things you like with the ones you love for as long as you can and don't ever regret it...........
    Last edited by Chronographic; 2nd January 2016 at 12:29.

Master
    Tube100 voucher code gives an extra £118 discount, making it £1842....26% below RRP.
    So, that makes it about a grand secondhand, then.

Fashion brand? A brand that doesn't carry weight? Cartier practically invented the men's wristwatch. I though this was a WIS forum?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    So, that makes it about a grand secondhand, then.
    I reckon at least £1500 second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    "Not in house movement. Inside is the Cartier 049 calibre, which is actually the tried and tested ETA 2892. "-- this is not a bad movement by any means- an in house movement will almost always increase the rrp--

"Described as 'entry level'." -- an entry level Cartier watch is a good watch if Cartier is your thing. The vast majority of people who see it will not be bothered that it is entry level (I wouldn't know or care!). How many people complain about owning Patek Aquanauts? (Apologies all if there is another, cheaper, patek, but you get my point)

"It's not a watch for a WIS." -- do you consider yourself a wis?! If so, it must be a watch for a wis! From one watch enthusiast to another, I wouldn't criticise you (or anyone else) for buying a watch you like. It's tempting to want to feel validated by other people on this forum, but really it only matters what you think and what you like. There's a lot to be said for someone sticking with their own identity and it's always refreshing to see collections that contain lots of variety--

"Poor resale, I should imagine." -- are you thinking of selling already?! The reality is that this hobby costs money- I realised a while ago that you can't just buy subs and speedy's the whole time; it's more fun to take a risk occasionally!--

"Expensive, not sure about that."-- this is true, but there are more expensive watches with similar movements so not extraordinarily expensive I don't think--

The watch is not to my personal tastes, but I think if you like it then you should get it and worry about the resale if/ when it happens! Also, try to get a discount if you can :)
    Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Fashion brand? A brand that doesn't carry weight? Cartier practically invented the men's wristwatch. I though this was a WIS forum?

Exactly. Anyone that thinks Cartier is a fashion brand does not know much about watches.

Master

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    I don't drive or want a Ford but the boy Henry was quite influential in that sector. Ok Benz is more the inventor and they're still pretty good but that didn't suit my point.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Nice, is that the model also known as the 'Yearling'? How does it wear on the wrist? - the ordinary Tank Françaises are very small with the bracelet removed.
    It's the 2564. I think it wears very well on 7.5" wrist.

I have a black leather strap which makes it look quite 'dressy', but I like it on the distressed old strap.

Master
    I REMEMBER NOW...

I investigated buying this watch years ago and decided not to, because of the strap/deployant.

The watch on a bracelet I do NOT like, so it's a no-no.

The watch on a strap comes with a most peculiar deployant that requires 2 x 'a pointed end strap' without holes in either bit.

http://www.userguide.cartier.co.uk/h...rap+adjustment

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f481/i-...ke-782898.html

OK, so they are available from Cartier at an arm and a leg, I cannot locate an aftermarket alligator one at a reasonable price.

One could buy an aftermarket conventional strap, but that would mean the deployant is redundant, as it would not fit.

This strap business is a PITA.

ANY suggestions anyone?
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; 2nd January 2016 at 15:45.

Blog Entries
    ANY suggestions anyone?
    Do this: "One could buy an aftermarket conventional strap, but that would mean the deployant is redundant, as it would not fit." Don't worry about the deployant.

Plenty of high quality straps around. Camille Fournet apparently make some lovely straps, for example.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Do this: "One could buy an aftermarket conventional strap, but that would mean the deployant is redundant, as it would not fit." Don't worry about the deployant.

Plenty of high quality straps around. Camille Fournet apparently make some lovely straps, for example.
    Camille Fournet......Have you seen their prices?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Exactly. Anyone that thinks Cartier is a fashion brand does not know much about watches.
    Anyone who thinks Cartier is not a fashion brand does not know much about Cartier.

(Actually, neither assertion is correct. Cartier is still a high-end 'manufacture', but less than it was, and more of a fashion 'house' than it was. That said, most of its production today falls into the latter category. But, then, that could be said for most watch companies, couldn't it?)
    Last edited by Tinker; 3rd January 2016 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post
    It's the 2564. I think it wears very well on 7.5" wrist.

I have a black leather strap which makes it look quite 'dressy', but I like it on the distressed old strap.
    Thanks for posting, that does indeed look larger than the standard model which can appear lost without the bracelet.

Here's my Chronoreflex on my 6.75" wrist. It's a grainy iPod pic taken quite close and the watch is much smaller in real life:

Blog Entries
    Nothing too shocking for luxury watch straps. :-) A luxury watch deserves a luxury strap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Nothing too shocking for luxury watch straps. :-) A luxury watch deserves a luxury strap!
    It's a 23mm strap ;-(

Master
    Seem reasonable, have you seen the price of a Panerai strap!
    Or just buy a Hirsch, good quality, easily purchased and inexpensive

Blog Entries
    It's a 23mm strap ;-(
    Camille Fournet will make 23mm straps.

The tank solo is a lovely watch on the croc leather strap rather than the bracelet IMO it does wear a bit large on the wrist though but it makes it an interesting alternative to the reverso if you think it looks a bit dainty on the wrist the tank solo has a lot more wrist presence. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the movement and looking on the Cartier website it just means its a lot cheaper to service so what you may "Lose" on resale value you gain in service costs. Not that I think you should really consider resale value because if you are your heart is not really in keeping it in the first place.

Not sure what "Entry level" Is supposed to mean anyway other than "Cheapest watch in their line" Which it isn't really anyway there are quartz that are cheaper. As for cost, Swiss Watches Direct have it for about 2k and presumably it could be found cheaper if you look. If you like it, buy it.

Apprentice
    looking at tank solo xl but can anyone tell me the difference between 00027 and 00029 . thanks for any help .

Master
    I find the tank and ronde solo on leather strap to be very very elegant and classy

as this has been resurrected , this was mine for two years, its the ronde XL sister to the tank solo, it was a beautiful watch , and very distinctive, no not the height of horology but very nice . well made all the same , it came on a bracelet ,and the only ting I could critique it for , was a huge scratch magnet! so always wore it on various straps.
    only reason it went was I p/x it for a new DJ 41 only way I could afford to purchase the DJ. and did not lose a lot of money.
    have another in a heart beat.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    as this has been resurrected , this was mine for two years, its the ronde XL sister to the tank solo, it was a beautiful watch , and very distinctive, no not the height of horology but very nice . well made all the same , it came on a bracelet ,and the only ting I could critique it for , was a huge scratch magnet! so always wore it on various straps.
    only reason it went was I p/x it for a new DJ 41 only way I could afford to purchase the DJ. and did not lose a lot of money.
    have another in a heart beat.
    I start to like these more and more. Thanks for posting!

Master
    I like it Dave, classic watch-get it!!

RRP...£2490

Reasons....
    Not in house movement.