closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a murderer on Netflix

Making a murderer on Netflix

Anyone watching this or watched it? It's addictive!!

I'm laid up with man flu but this is really taking the edge off it.

No spoilers please. I'm up to series 1 episode 4. Only another 6 hours to go ;)

Please do watch this, it's fantastic and quite unbelievable.

Feel really sorry for brandan! Well I do at the moment!

All the best,

Alex

Craftsman
    I'm always up for a good series,just so i can get a sense of whether it would be my thing or not - what other series do you rate highly?

Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post
    I'm always up for a good series,just so i can get a sense of whether it would be my thing or not - what other series do you rate highly?
    It's a real life documentary albeit a very long one!

Full of twists but nothing like I've watched before and can't compare it.

It's a brilliant real life mystery thriller.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Haha yeah!

It's good isn't it!! I'm Really enjoying it :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Haha yeah!

It's good isn't it!! I'm Really enjoying it :)
    I enjoyed it, though (no spoilers here) I felt the end was a let down. Not the ending I had hoped it would be for about 5 episodes.

Anyway, it made for a really refreshing change to all the usual "boxed sets" I endlessly watch on Netflix!

I waited till I'd watched it all until I posted my thread, as I was so afraid of spoilers! I didn't even google it.

Master
    PS: THIS LINK MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS but you'll want to read it the second you finish the last episode!

LINK

PS: THIS LINK MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS but you'll want to read it the second you finish the last episode!

LINK
    I'm on the 5th mate. My plan is to get it finished tonight so I'll check that link out.

LINK
    Thanks for that!

Who do you think killed her?

Good but some messy editing and stuff left out that's important.

If you liked t check out The Staircase - considered pretty much in the Top5 docs ever made..... Incredible

http://youtu.be/n061fS38_GA

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Good but some messy editing and stuff left out that's important.

If you liked t check out The Staircase - considered pretty much in the Top5 docs ever made..... Incredible

http://youtu.be/n061fS38_GA
    Thanks for that :)

I'll watch that today.

Blog Entries

I've watched this, bloody fantastic. Without spoilers though it's hard to discuss but I'm firmly in the camp of theory 2 in that list in the link. But the ex boyfriend was real dodgy and the brother wasn't right either so in other words, I haven't got a clue

I've also watched The Staircase which is very good but not a patch on Making a Murderer. Think Staircase is about 8 hours long so it's another marathon especially if you watch the sequel The Staircase 2 which is another 2 hours

Master

I'll watch that today.
    Wow that is six hours long!

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Wow that is six hours long!
    I've got a nasty chest infection mate so I've nothing better to do!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    I've watched this, bloody fantastic. Without spoilers though it's hard to discuss but I'm firmly in the camp of theory 2 in that list in the link. But the ex boyfriend was real dodgy and the brother wasn't right either so in other words, I haven't got a clue

I've also watched The Staircase which is very good but not a patch on Making a Murderer. Think Staircase is about 8 hours long so it's another marathon especially if you watch the sequel The Staircase 2 which is another 2 hours
    It's mind boggling isn't it!!

I'll watch that today.
    Defo do. It's up there with Hoop Dreams as the business!

Watched the first two episodes last night, pretty amazing stuff so far...... Im looking forward to seeing how the Autotrader murder thing plays out!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Watched the first two episodes last night, pretty amazing stuff so far...... Im looking forward to seeing how the Autotrader murder thing plays out!
    It gets better and better Jason :)

Cheers for the recommendation Alex!
    You couldn't make it up! Poor bugger.....
    Watching the Sheriffs etc get interviewed and squirm was great....

Master
    superbly engaging and i watched it in less than 24hours, sad i know!!

I cant get my head around it, i feel like i have been manipulated by the presentation somehow as i cant believe for a second that everything we have seen is all there is to it.

how could the result be the result!!

Master
    Thanks for that!

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS:

Honestly, I don't know. I think the real culprit was never presented to us (e.g. ex-boyfriend or some other suspect that we dont even know about from the documentary).

The problem is that there was so much evidence / information not given to us in the documentary - I have questions I'd like to ask to help my thoughts. I wonder if things were just deliberately left out, or if other evidence just didn't exist.

Anyway, based on what we know from the documentary, my gut feeling is that Brendan Dassey is innocent - certainly of having any direct involvement in the murder. At the very very very least, you couldn't possibly believe his confession as being truly admissible, and therefore than alone mandates a re-trial, but it seems that getting a re-trial is almost impossible - I just don't know why.

I do genuinely wonder if it truly is a "set up" in the sense that the police ignored other leads and were heavily biased against Avery. Dassey was just too dumb (the poor lad) to extricate himself from his "involvement" (via his confession).

It was heartbreaking to hear Dassey speak to his mum just after his "confession" saying he would miss Wrestlemania on TV and he was most upset about this... poor, poor child.

I really hope at the very least, they both get a fair re-trial.

Craftsman
    Starting this tonight after a tip off.

- - - Updated - - -

Starting this tonight after a tip off.

Master
    Oh, did you know that the prosecutor (Ken Kratz - the high voiced, mustachio'd fatty) was subsequently found to have a prescription (I think) drug addiction and of sending sexually inappropriate text messages to domestic abuse / rape victims he was involved with. He lost his job and I think there was a court case. So, ethically speaking that tells you a lot about the man!

Also, this interview with Ken Kratz about the evidence in the case / documentary is interesting, but I no longer know what to believe!
    Last edited by ach5; 2nd January 2016 at 11:05.

One episode to go....
    Incredible really if its accurate.....

Craftsman
    Two episodes and really struggling with it. Will preservere though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Two episodes and really struggling with it. Will preservere though.
    It's now 00:30...5 episodes in and now hooked :)

Virtual retraction of initial statement above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    It's now 00:30...5 episodes in and now hooked :)

Virtual retraction of initial statement above.
    It's good isnt it!

Try not to click any of the links I posted above until you have finished the series.

Sounds like I'm going to have to get on the case with this. There goes my free time!

Craftsman
    It's good isnt it!

Try not to click any of the links I posted above until you have finished the series.

Only two to go so will have a look this eve after 10 hopefully.

Craftsman
    Just finished it...great documentary.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Couple of things from me...
    1) Bit weird that in the video she made she referred to death - did she commit suicide ?!?
    2) Ex and housemate a bit dodgy especially when they were on the salvage yard planning the hunt AND giving that woman the camera
    3) Brother...even dodgier I thought. Just didn't like him at all.
    4) The whole number plate phone call was just too suspicious, yet got dropped pretty quickly. Surely this eludes to he fact the vehicle was found prior to the women finding it in the salvage yard.
    5) Gotta be a police setup somewhere along the line but its alot of people to keep the same story and keep schtum.

Personally think both are innocent and hope they get to see families again.

The Netflix documentary will no doubt kick the legal process up a few gears...ground breaking media if it is does.

I signed up for Netflix last night and watched the first episode. I can't believe it keeps going. Crazy!

Finished it last night.... Wow!
    Even allowing for production dramatisation, its a epic story, so much doesn't add up, I would love to see a retrial or a new investigation....

SPOILER QUESTIONS.
    Why no blood in the bedroom? There should have been loads according to the 'confession' .
    Same as in the garage.
    Were there any blind control EDTA blood samples given to the FBI as well as the blood found to see if their tests could find EDTA?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Finished it last night.... Wow!
    Even allowing for production dramatisation, its a epic story, so much doesn't add up, I would love to see a retrial or a new investigation....

SPOILER QUESTIONS.
    Why no blood in the bedroom? There should have been loads according to the 'confession' .
    Same as in the garage.
    Were there any blind control EDTA blood samples given to the FBI as well as the blood found to see if their tests could find EDTA?
    If they did what Brendan said they did then the bedroom should have been covered shouldn't it and no traces were found!

The mind boggles!

Exactly! As one of the ex cop consultants said, there is no way these 2 were bright enough or knowledgeable enough to sanitise the alleged crime scenes, the way they treated poor Brendon in those interviews and when he was made to draw the pictures was appalling.

Apprentice
    I have watched it and now read the linked info below. Very puzzling and frustrating. Leaves a lot of unanswered questions. I guess the full truth will never come out...

Master
    I've just finished 7 series of Sons of Anarchy so looking forward to giving this a go.

Blog Entries
    Spoilers !!

That dodgy sheriff, Colburn?, originally worked as a guard at the prison where Avery was wrongfully imprisoned for the rape. He took the call from a detective who told him that the wrong man was in prison for the rape, does nothing about it for 8 years and then finally writes a report about the phone call the day after Avery's release.
    Calls in the reg. number of the murdered girl's car 2 days before the car is found.
    Is in Avery's bedroom when the car key suddenly appears after several searches by other officers who state that they checked that exact area and the key wasn't there.
    Nothing suspicious there, oh no

No blood or signs of a struggle in bedroom or garage, not even the tiniest speck. The prosecution said that they did a very thorough job with the crime scene that they cleaned up every trace but missed the bullet that was on the floor!

Came to see if this had been posted. Absolutely astonishing and worrying and I hope there is a retrial.

I can't believe how shifty Colbern and Henk are, and the Fassbender special agent, too. If ever there was a video to show the body language of someone hiding something surely these lot would be great examples?!

Master
    I've got 4 more to watch. I've avoided the spoilers here but can tell this doesn't end well. It's the most unbelievable true story ever told. I find so many of the people so easy to hate and find myself shouting at the TV a fair bit.

I don't know how some of these people can live with themselves. It's not so much the lies, or even the lies created to cover up the lies. It's the self righteous attitude of some of those individuals. Faces you would never tire of punching.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've just listened to a radio 4 programme which mentioned this series and how it's caused the investigation to be reopened. I've not read your posts above for fear of spoiling, but as soon as I've finished turn on Amazon prime (which is also good if you enjoy American civil war stuff) il be into it.

I'm also watching the x files on Netflix. It's just awesome!

i skimmed through the thread as I don't want any spoilers, but lots of good reviews on my twitterzstream for this - as soon as I finish Narco's, i'm in

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Narcos is superb! Marco Polo is worth a look too! :-)

I'm hooked, up to episode 6 right now.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm on episode 2. Aaaagh!

Making a murderer on Netflix

Ok you guys have got me sold on this. I'm going to have to go and watch a trailer for this show now and see what I can do about obtaining the series to watch it!

Good timing as well as me and the missus have just finished season 2 of the Affair (admittedly I didn't pay too much attention for being on here) so on the look out for something else to watch along with the latest Luther.
    Last edited by Ukal; 7th January 2016 at 22:45.

Got just the last episode to watch later.

Master
    There's so many disturbing questions that may never been answered.

A couple that spring to mind. So when the vehicle was found on the salvage lot, it was found by sheer chance by the search party led by the murdered woman's ex boyfriend who gave Pam their only camera and the direct phone number of the Sheriff.

The woman who got murdered ex boyfriends was never a suspect in the case and never investigated despite the nuisance phone calls she was getting up until her death and her ex admitted that he hacked her voice messages on her mobile and messages had been deleted after her death.

I never liked the prosecution lawyer. The one with the effeminate voice who was later exposed as being a sex pest to the vulnerable woman who was representating. Infact none of the sheriffs came off well and everyone seemed corrupt and intent to destroy the Avery family.

As for Brendan, I don't think anyone will ever know for certain what was going on in his clouded, feeble brain. The hatchet questioning and interrogation tactics used were really sickening to much.

Ultimately though, if Steven and Brendan did not murder the woman, then who did?

It was a very gripping and disturbing 10 part series from start till finish.

Indeed, lots of unanswered questions. This just popped up on my twitter feed today too, The White House will not pardon Steve or Brendan..

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=36153350

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...teresa-halbach

Master
    SPOILERS.

My theories.

1. The ex/housemate/brother route. Like others have said something very fishy about them. Why was the housemate never included in any of this? Not even questioned to corroborate the ex boyfriends story regarding when they suddenly decided she was a missing person and hacked her cell phone log in. Giving their only camera to the horrible old woman that found the car and the fact she went almost straight to it is just too weird.

2. Avery's own cousin (I think it was) and that other red neck hunting bloke. They gave each other alibi's but clearly lied about the timing and seeing Halbach go into Avery's trailer. Their was a lot about their stories that didn't add up and I couldn't see any other motive for wanting Avery accused.

3. Either way I think the local sheriffs planted a large portion of the evidence but definitely did not orchestrate the whole thing. I just can;t stretch to imagining that. Certainly the key and the bullet seemed planted. Not so sure about the car, I think it's quite possible any other murdered could try to sneak a car into a scrap yard that size in the hope it would be unnoticed and crushed. The remains were also clearly moved but by whom I can't guess.

The most staggering aspect of all of this is how the convictions still went proven even when there were so many obvious lies, cross contamination and destruction of evidence and complete failure to follow protocol and procedure by so called law enforcement professionals. The whole theatre of presenting Dassey's "statement" on TV was utterly disgusting.

Even with full pardon's I just can;t see how these men could be compensated. Avery will have spent almost half his life (roughly 28 years by my calculation) in prison for crimes he has not committed.

Master
    I've been reading about some of the key points of evidence that were missed out from the documentary -

- Leg irons and shackles were both found at Brendan and Steves property (although no DNA from Halbach were found on them)

- Avery and his girlfriend had an abusive relationship and not the loving one shown

- The car key had Averys sweat on it as well as his blood

- Brendan had bleach stains on his trousers after cleaning Averys garage floor the night of the murder

- in 1982 Avery set light to a cat by pouring gasoline over it and throwing it in a bonfire

- Other inmates had said Avery planned to toture and kill women

- Avery opened his door to Halbach in the past wearing just a towel. He also specifically requested that she photograph the car the day she died.

- Avery contacted her several times on her mobile and withheld his number

Maybe they are both guilty, I certainly feel that way the more I think about it. However the way the case was handled its not suprising the amount of speculation the show has created.

Craftsman
    Finished watching the last episode this morning. Loved this show and the ride it takes audience on is incredible. I m in two minds to what really happened. Will be very interesting to see if the show helps or hinders the chance of a retrial