closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 Edition Steve McQueen

Master

Review: TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 Edition Steve McQueen

I recently mentioned on another thread that I was looking at this watch. I wanted something a bit different from the run-of-the-mill dive or chronograph models; something with a bit of style. The TAG Heuer Monaco certainly meets this criteria: Oodles of style. Chuck in some pseudo historical relevance plus association with Steve McQueen and it's a no brainer :-) Then I read that TAG Heuer had just released a new model which was as close as you could get (at the moment) to the original but with all the advantages of a modern design - movement, water resistance, crystal glass, etc...

So I placed an order with chronoext before Christmas, never expecting it to arrive until Jan'16 sometime. Well got home shopping today to find a missed delivery card on the doormat and a parcel was left next door. Not thinking is was from chronoext I went off to do some exercise on the rower for an hour. When I get back there's this box from chronoext on the kitchen table. Damn SWMBO had been round and picked it up... the secret was out of the bag. She was fine surprisingly (now on the internet looking for a new handbag). So, anyway, the watch :-)

Okay I'll jump right in.... sexy as hell :-)

So it was 1969 when the Monaco 1133B was first launched by Heuer (TAG came along in 1985) then it shot fame in 1970 when Steve McQueen wore it in the film Le Mans. TAG Heuer did a 40th anniversary edition in 2009 (CAW211A) which was reasonably faithful rendition using sapphire crystal and modern movement. It was a limited run of 1000 watches that sold out almost immediately. 2010 had a slight case size change and some other tweeks. However the new CAW211P is the closest yet to the original and, more importantly, at a surprisingly keen price point.

So some piccies then:

Unboxing... well it's expected isn't it?

So the new CAW211P differs from the 40th anniversary model by being a slightly larger case with sapphire caseback and using the Sellita movement instead of ETA.

Specs from the TAG Heuer web site:

Functions & features

Dial

- Mat blue dial

- 2 silver counters:
    Minute chronograph counter at 9 o'clock
    Running second counter at 3 o'clock

- Polished horizontal faceted indexes and luminescent dots

- Hour and minute hands with red line and luminescent markers

- Black counters' hands

- Red chronograph central second hand

- Printed vintage Heuer logo

- ''MONACO" & "AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH - CALIBRE 11" lettering on the dial

- Printed minuterie

- Angled date window at 6 o'clock

Case

- Case dimension: 39mm x 39mm

- Fine-brushed and polished steel case

- Fine-brushed steel bezel

- Sapphire crystal glass

- Polished steel crown at 9 o'clock with raised polished Heuer logo

- Polished steel push-buttons

- Sapphire caseback

- Water resistance to 100 meters

Bracelet

- Black perforated calfskin strap

- Steel folding clasp with safety push-button and Heuer logo

Movement

TAG Heuer Calibre 11, Swiss Made.

Automatic calibre.

Diameter: 30 mm (13''') — 59 rubies.

Rapid date correction.

Balance frequency: 28'800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz).

Power reserve: about 40 hours.

Display
    Hours — minutes — small seconds at 3. Date window. Chronograph minutes counter at 9. Central chronograph seconds hand.

Decoration
    Openworked oscillating mass: "Côtes de Genève" engraved "TAG Heuer — Calibre 11 — Swiss Made"

Piccies of the watch:

My first thought was that it looked big (15mm thick) but it's been on my wrist for a few hours now and it wears very comfortable; you don't know it's on. The deployment strap is easy to adjust (okay I looked on youtube) and very supple.

The display is, to my eyes, simply gorgeous and the chronograph function is very smooth and precise. I find it easy to read though I admit the date is illegible without some high power reading glasses but I stopped expecting to be able to read the date on a watch over a decade ago!

Now there's been some talk about the movement which is the Calibre 11 movement supplied by Dubois-Depraz but the reports I read say it's a very high grade movement up to COCS standards

It certainly looks very pretty but only time will tell it's accuracy ;-)

Let me finish off by saying this is now the star of my (limited I admit) collection
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 31st December 2015 at 10:46. Reason: name block

The Monaco is undoubtedly one of the famous five, one fifth of what I consider the icons of the watch world that even non-WIS can easily recognise (Sub, Navi, Speedy, Monaco, Reverso).
    This looks the most handsome Monaco iteration yet. You've made an excellent purchase, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come.

My one reservation is that it deserves an in-house movement, especially at the price point it demands, and would complete the package for me.

Master
    One further thing... the lume is rubbish. My Steinhart next to it on the chest of draws was glowing away last night like a glowing thing.... darkness from the Monaco sat next to it. Maybe the Monaco had a monk on being sat next to a cheapo homage watch ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    The Monaco is undoubtedly one of the famous five, one fifth of what I consider the icons of the watch world that even non-WIS can easily recognise (Sub, Navi, Speedy, Monaco, Reverso).
    This looks the most handsome Monaco iteration yet. You've made an excellent purchase, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come.

My one reservation is that it deserves an in-house movement, especially at the price point it demands, and would complete the package for me.
    Wouldn't you consider also an El Primero tricolor being an icon?

Craftsman
    That is an absolutely beautiful watch

Apprentice
    Nice one

This is one of those watch models that is trully unique and stands out for itself. I don't fancy the caseback though.

Craftsman
    A true beauty with an awesome heritage. Congrats on your purchase.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the read. Have always really loved the watch.