closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Everyones Cup Of Tea...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Enjoy your watch Burnsey. I've always admired that model but clueless as to what the functions are.
    Which is rather like ive always admired Burnsey and is function is clueless :)
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 30th December 2015 at 21:37.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Which is rather like ice always admired Burnsey and is function is clueless :)
    Pardon?

mice?
    vice?
    hice? (take the marbles out of your mouth, son – it’s pronounced “house”)
    dice?
    lice?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Pardon?

mice?
    vice?
    hice? (take the marbles out of your mouth, son – it’s pronounced “house”)
    dice?
    lice?
    I've
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Didn't know that model was now available in steel. Enjoy it.

Master
    An interesting choice. Wear it in good health and all the best for the future.

Craftsman
    It's a stunner and the dial really pops!

Blog Entries
    Superb looking watch, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I’d like to give thanks a few of the regulars for helping me with my sales and both the choosing the sourcing of my new watch, namely Tony (learningtofly), Kerry (100thmonkey), Alex (Alexaff), Andy Tims and MarcJ. This really is a community and I have real mates - thanks lads.

P.S. We should be together too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not Everyones Cup Of Tea...

Lovely choice Burnsey.

Master
    Positively different, enjoy!

Banned

After A Few Days Wear...

For all my years on the forum, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these in ownership of another member. In fact, albeit I’ve not used the search function prior to posting, I’m not even sure if anyone has ever ‘spoken’ about it. I’ve certainly never seen on in ‘real life’.

Probably because it could be described as non-wis choice and until recently, could only be had in precious metals. Now you have the choice of four different metals - steel, rose gold/steel, solid yellow gold and platinum and white gold combined.

It’s a Deepsea challenging 44mm diameter, weighing in at 180 grams. It has a stunning Cerachrom bezel in an absolutely screaming shade of blue, with YACHT-MASTER II in gigantic letters right across the bottom section, almost covering 8 to 4 - it is not an introverted watch by any stretch of the imagination.

On top of everything else, it has a complication that even once you’ve studied the instructions, both provided with the watch and thankfully via YouTube (phew), you still can't seem to remember what do with it, or more importantly, will you ever need such a feature? Surely, a regatta timer is about as niche a complication as you can imagine?

A regatta timer is used by the captain of a yacht to determine when their vessel is allowed to cross the starting line. Sailboats can’t just hover at the starting line of a yacht race, so what happens is that the racing committee establishes a countdown period during which the boats have to tack back and forth at the starting line without actually crossing; if you cross early, there is a penalty and if you are too cautious and cross late you will probably cross the finish line behind the boats that made it over the start line ahead of you. The countdown can be anywhere from five to ten minutes depending on the rules and race.

The Yacht-Master II is a programmable, flyback regatta timer, which allows you to select a countdown interval of anything from one to ten minutes; in addition if you have started the countdown early or late, you can synchronize your watch “on the fly” when you hear the second of the two audible signals which are usually given at the start of a race (the signal to start the countdown comes first, and is usually followed by a warning signal closer to the start).

To set the countdown timer, you turn the bezel (Rolex calls it the Command Bezel) a quarter turn to the left. This locks the lower chrono pusher and engages the setting mechanism for the triangular red countdown hand. You then unscrew the crown to its first position, and set the countdown hand – setting is one-way only but at 10 minutes, if you continue to turn the crown, the countdown hand will fly back to 1 and you can continue until you reach the desired number of minutes. When you’re done, you screw the crown back down, and turn the bezel back to its starting position, and you’re ready to regatta. When the first gun (or other audible signal) is heard, you start the countdown . . . and that’s it.

Following operation of the regatta countdown function, once reset, the hand remains at the previous set duration - so goes from an expired zero position back to it’s set start point. I have mine set at ten minutes, as that is where I prefer to see the rested hand. Most races work on five or ten minute countdowns, so the concerns over unscrewing the crown multiple times is uncalled for. Basically, once set, you simply use the two pushers to start/pause/stop/reset.

If you want to use the function 24/7 in ‘real life’, to boil eggs etc., and have multiple different countdown settings, then yes, you would be forever setting the thing, but I don’t know many JLC Reverso owners who play polo, or Breitling Emergency owners who set off the distress signal when they spill coffee down their shirt - think about why these were developed and their real life use - retail sales are sometimes just an offshoot following the development of a certain watch complication.

The nifty flyback element of the chrono really comes into its own when if for some reason, have started your countdown too early, or too late. All you have to do is wait for the second gun/signal, and hit the re-set button – the seconds hand will fly back to the zero mark and begin running again immediately; and the minute countdown hand will fly back to the nearest minute and likewise start counting down again. It’s the fact that the flyback is to the nearest minute, not to zero, that allows you to re-synch your countdown with the official countdown time, that gives the Yacht-Master II much of its utility, and much of its technical interest. Basically, up to and including 30 seconds into a minute, the counter will flyback to the previous minute, past 30 seconds, it will fly forwards - ultimate adjustment on the fly so to speak.

The movement is a COSC calibre 4161, made up of 360 individual components and was developed entirely in-house. It features a unique mechanical memory and alongside the Skydweller is the only range in which the bezel forms part of the movement - you can’t simply pop it off with a knife!

Timekeeping on this after a few days wear is -1 sec per day.

It’s water resistant to 330 feet, has a Triplock crown and the ever comfortable oyster bracelet with micro adjustment and the 5mm comfort gizmo. Crystal is sapphire and no cyclops - well no date in fact.

Technicalities aside - what is it like to wear?

It’s loud, but so am I...

The weight isn't a problem and thanks to the downward curvature of the lugs and excellent clasp adjustment, I can wear it all day on my 7.5” wrist without a problem, or discomfort of any form.

It is a pleasure to look at, but during the night, I’m glad I have a bedside clock - the lume is strong, but both the plots and hands only have a little of it.

The main (trolls excluded) negative comments, including my own previously, relate to the Yacht-Master II script across the bezel. In real wear, believe it or not, this does blend into the background. Photo’s on your ipad or PC do tend to exaggerate the size, but I got used to it within an hour or two. The hands are not the most legible at times, especially if all the functions start to bunch up and are pretty thin in reality. That said, I’ve probably only had to take a second glance once or twice a day. The nice touch is the finish - the blued steel is rather nice.

At its RRP starting at £12,500 (steel) to just over £32,000 (white gold), they’re never going to be common, especially as its feature is pretty niche, but I’d say more buyers go for the styling than function and that, as said, is acquired.

I wanted just one watch, as apposed to a collection of several and I didn’t choose this following any major deliberation - I just saw one in a display cabinet, tried it on and fell for it. A few weeks later I’d flogged my other stuff and obtained the best deal I could, eventually driving over to pick up just after the Christmas holidays.

I wish I could deliberate more before purchase, to avoid a potential flip, but I can’t. One positive trait, is within a few days I do tend to know if I will keep something and am really glad to say I will be keeping this one.

So, I’ve decided to sign off for a while and the truth is it’s really to take away any temptation, but also to concentrate on my own family commitments, but didn’t want to go without posting about what is the peak of my collecting over the last half decade or so.

Catch you all soon!
    Last edited by burnsey66; 3rd January 2016 at 13:24. Reason: Clarity Regarding Chrono Operation

Love the colour scheme and the complication. Thanks for the comprehensive write up.

I wouldn't buy it but I do like the colour scheme.

Edit: wife 'what's that I like the look of it'.

Congratulations on the purchase- as you say not everyone's cup of tea but a very distinctive looking at obviously very well engineered watch. It is good to see Rolex innovating with the command bezel on this and the Sky dweller whilst it will most likely always be a niche watch vs the traditional subs etc it will I have no doubt be amazingly executed and I am glad you are pleased with it.

Master

Cool

Nice watch,happy new year to you and see you around in a while .
    John

Cool watch, Steve.

As many others here, I have dismissed it as outsized and too much - but not so sure any more. Let me know when you are through with it... :-)

As to your forum absence: family comes first, no discussion. All the best and hope to see you around every now and then.

Raffe
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Get it posted on the "show your Rolex" thread! ;-)

I think it's an interesting and distinctive watch. It doesn't really matter that the complication is useless - you've chosen it for the aesthetics. The watch would be great as part of a collection, but as your only watch? A bit like choosing a pair of salmon pink chino's as your only trousers.

Steve - it has been posted before
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t=Hard+dislike

And, the first response is yours.����

You've acquired your snakeskin jacket. Every man should not rest until he has his.

Did I ever tell you that this here watch represents a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom ?

Stay wild at heart. Congratulations and hope you have a happy and low-angst 2016.

Paul

As I said in the other thread, I like it a lot, I think it looks far better in steel than in yellow gold. Congrats

I've only been vaguely aware of these until now. What a great and genuinely useful complication. Thanks for sharing the details of how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    What a great and genuinely useful complication.
    You race yachts?

Well done Burnsey.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    I've only been vaguely aware of these until now. What a great and genuinely useful complication. Thanks for sharing the details of how it works.
    I don't hate the watch but what would you use the complication for? Even if there were occasions surely having to unscrew the crown would be limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I don't hate the watch but what would you use the complication for? Even if there were occasions surely having to unscrew the crown would be limiting.
    Fair point but some of us enjoy complications for their own sake, rather than their utility. Or maybe it's just me.

My personal favourite is the sidereal time vs. solar time complication in the George Daniels Space Traveller watch which I admit has very limited application currently.

Cooking mainly.

Thinking about applications for this complication made me wish that mechanical watches with alarms had the alarm triggered by the minute hand, not the hour hand.

Master
    Cooking mainly.
    I love finding an excuse to use one of my chronographs and cooking is a prime use. However I'd find unscrewing the crown really annoying. Also, and I may be wrong it makes the complication unusable in the environment it's designed for i.e. spraying sea water.

However I do accept most complications probably aren't and weren't ever used for their designed purposes. I have a Heuer Siffert but I can't imagine he ever used a watch to time himself. It was probably a dash mounted stop watch or a member of his crew.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Steve and it really suits your wrist ! Very interesting and functional complications which until watching the YT vid I didn't realise it had . Great purchase mate .👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Fair point but some of us enjoy complications for their own sake, rather than their utility. Or maybe it's just me.
    Nah, me too.

Much as I hate to admit it, burnsey's review has made me appreciate this watch more than previously.

However I'd find unscrewing the crown really annoying. Also, and I may be wrong it makes the complication unusable in the environment it's designed for i.e. spraying sea water.
    I think I read that at a regatta the number of minutes for the countdown is consistent. So on dry land you set it to five minutes say and the mechanism remembers that five minutes once you've screwed the crown back down - each time you start the countdown it will start at five minutes.

Congratulations on the acquisition and many thanks for the detailed description and photos. Not a watch I have previously taken any notice of (having had Subs, a Sea-Dweller, GMT and Explorer II at various times), but your review and real-life photos have been a real revelation. Funny how you can overlook something which, while I am sure not to everyone's taste, is actually an amazing bit of design and engineering and a very unique piece in their range (and as you say very rare in the 'wild') .....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think I read that at a regatta the number of minutes for the countdown is consistent. So on dry land you set it to five minutes say and the mechanism remembers that five minutes once you've screwed the crown back down - each time you start the countdown it will start at five minutes.
    That makes more sense

Blog Entries
    I do like this variant of this piece a lot.

The design is a good one. It actually doesn't look like a Rolex... if you get my drift. Not that I am not a Rolex admirer, but indeed the same classic look does run through many of their pieces.

It is a design very unique.

It has good individuality, which is great. You can't imagine seeing this on the wrist of your average car dealer / local hairdresser (wearing with the bracelet set too large so it dangles) / Essex boy... which you see the Sub tragically doing these days. You can't see your average business suit with cash on the hip even looking at this thing, as it won't appeal to the personality that 'has to own' a certain watch. It doesn't have the 'Look a me!' elements of a DSSD (a watch that I do love). It ticks the right boxes of all genres.

It is pretty much from the Rolex stable... but appeals to the true WIS / watch lover. It's big, robust, different. There won't be a squillion threads on this thing. Not a bad thing.

It is a big tool looking piece of a watch. Which doesn't even befit the 'Yachtmaster' title. When I think Yachtmaster, I think of a Sub but with some sartorial elegance slightly applied. This looks like a steroided up version of the Yachtmaster, the 'double-hard-b******' version of the Yachtmaster that broke its chains and set itself free.

Great piece.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Nah, me too.

Much as I hate to admit it, burnsey's review has made me appreciate this watch more than previously.
    Me too. Panerai do a regatta complication too and I've wondered what it was.

Thanks for comprehensive post and enjoy your watch

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Thinking about applications for this complication made me wish that mechanical watches with alarms had the alarm triggered by the minute hand, not the hour hand.
    Glashütte Original did the PanoRetrograph with a 30 minute countdown timer with alarm. That was an amazing complication, which was fitted together into one movement with a flyback chronograph. http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?...PanoRetroGraph

Master
    Enjoyed reading about a watch I would not have looked twice at generally but being a 'function over form' person I'm really struggling with the crown issue. Does anyone know if Rolex have ever commented on that or are Captains generally drier than their crew? :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Enjoyed reading about a watch I would not have looked twice at generally but being a 'function over form' person I'm really struggling with the crown issue. Does anyone know if Rolex have ever commented on that or are Captains generally drier than their crew? :)

Not sure why this issue continues to be repeated?

If you refer to my mini-review above...

To set the countdown timer, you turn the bezel (Rolex calls it the Command Bezel) a quarter turn to the left. This locks the lower chrono pusher and engages the setting mechanism for the triangular red countdown hand. You then unscrew the crown to its first position, and set the countdown hand – setting is one-way only but at 10 minutes, if you continue to turn the crown, the countdown hand will fly back to 1 and you can continue until you reach the desired number of minutes. When you’re done, you screw the crown back down, and turn the bezel back to its starting position, and you’re ready to regatta. When the first gun (or other audible signal) is heard, you start the countdown . . . and that’s it.

Following operation of the regatta countdown function, once reset, the hand remains at the previous set duration - so goes from an expired zero position back to it’s set start point. I have mine set at ten minutes, as that is where I prefer to see the rested hand. Most races work on five or ten minute countdowns, so the concerns over unscrewing the crown multiple times is uncalled for. Basically, once set, you simply use the two pushers to start/pause/stop/reset.

This was designed for yacht racing, not hunting rabid great white sharks and accordingly, the skipper will be aware of the timing regulations, even prior to stepping on the boat and set his equipment accordingly. Ongoing use of the function is available at the push of a button and the crown doesn’t come into play.

That said, even unscrewed, the watch remains wtaterproof, but it is recommended not to jump over the side of the boat..
    Last edited by burnsey66; 3rd January 2016 at 15:33. Reason: Spelling - it bothers me

Master

I thought I'd explained that it just seems to me that the crown out requirement is less than ideal from a design perspective given the watch's intended use. I'm comfortable with you disagreeing though and hope it proves to be the one watch you want. Just to be clear, I think it's a lovely piece and really appreciated your interesting review.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    (...) I have mine set at ten minutes, as that is where I prefer to see the rested hand. (...)
    That'll be very hard boiled eggs, then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Not your post, but several on this and a previous thread. Mainly trolls emphasising a fair point regarding the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    That'll be very hard boiled eggs, then.
    I spoon out at 7 minutes remaining

Master
    Maybe you can get one of these match it?!

http://www.dealer-clocks.com/product...master-ii-blue