timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for first watch please

Journeyman

Recommendations for first watch please

Hello there

Please excuse me here as I am a complete newbie

I'm embarrassed to say that at age 40, I have just purchased my first watch, a Casio MQ24, for the pricely sum of £6.

Now that I am acquainted to the advantages of a wrist watch rather than relying on a smartphone for the time, I am thinking of purchasing a better more 'proper' watch.

I went to Watches of Switzerland and quite liked the rolex date just 36mm although looking on here the submariner rolex watches seem very nice

I am not sure whether I should save up for my ultimate watch which may take me a few years or whether you can suggest an interim watch, perhaps for a few hundred pounds that would be a better stop gap than my £6 casio

I really like the fine mechanism of the rolex, how the seconds hand was gently ticking away, so I guess a nice mechanism is important to me

I would be grateful for your help

Many thanks

Save up for the Rolex, I'm sure it will all be worth it!

Buy cheaper stuff and flip like crazy until you find what you really like.

What about a Seiko SARB033 to tide you over while you save for a Rolex?

The SARB suggestion is a good one. Buy a couple of cheaper-end but decently made watches, of differing styles, so you can get a feel for which is really you. And do a TON of reading. After a few months your mind will begin to clear.

And then you'll buy the DateJust anyway, probably ;)

You can pop into the Bullring and have a new Rolex on the hit and miss today if you want.

0% interest and a good resale down the line if and when you decide to sell it.

Craftsman
    Buy the DJ on interest free credit and flip it if you don't like it. But you will. You can't lose. Don't burn money on cheap stuff as this will delay and block what you really want.

Journeyman
    Rolex DJ on a jubilee bracelet. Get it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleem View Post
    Hello there

Please excuse me here as I am a complete newbie

I'm embarrassed to say that at age 40, I have just purchased my first watch, a Casio MQ24, for the pricely sum of £6.

Now that I am acquainted to the advantages of a wrist watch rather than relying on a smartphone for the time, I am thinking of purchasing a better more 'proper' watch.

I went to Watches of Switzerland and quite liked the rolex date just 36mm although looking on here the submariner rolex watches seem very nice

I am not sure whether I should save up for my ultimate watch which may take me a few years or whether you can suggest an interim watch, perhaps for a few hundred pounds that would be a better stop gap than my £6 casio

I really like the fine mechanism of the rolex, how the seconds hand was gently ticking away, so I guess a nice mechanism is important to me

I would be grateful for your help

Many thanks
    I joined this forum about 6 weks ago and asked a similar question to yours. I took the advice of the people here which I will summarize for you.

Buy some "cheap thrills" for not a lot of money. Get used to "real watches" and find out what style you like. Once you have done that, you will know more about the type of watch you really Love and not just Lust after.

I was sure I wanted a Omega Seamaster or a Speedmaster, but didn't rush out and as I said.. I took the advice and bought "cheap" first.

I purchased an Seiko SKX007 (about £120) - a very popular watch amongst the community, and one that is respected by everyone "in the know" regardless if they own a bunch of Casio's or Rolex's. The SKX is a dive watch, and after a few days I soon realized that in fact, a dive watch is not appropriate for my life style. I wear suits mon - fri, and the dive watch is just too big.

So was buying the SKX a waste of money? Certainly not. I have a great little "beater" watch to wear on weekends and nice piece for the collection.

I am now looking into "dress watches" as my day to day. So for xmas I have asked for a Orient Bambino (about £80) - again another cheap thrill, to see how I get on with that. Although, I think the GF has also bought me a Junghans Max Bill.

Take the advice of the guys in the know. Start cheap, see what styles you like, and work your way up to you "grail" watch. It's fun learning about the watches as you educate yourself, and you can have fun with the "cheap thrills" along the way... I certainly am.

Journeyman
    Get the watch you want and if you can get it on interest free credit all the better, I'm about £4k in to 3 watches that have all been a bit of a compromise (although I love them and probably wont sell them anytime soon) but that's what I could afford at the time, If I had that £4k now it would get me a decent pre-owned version of the watch I wanted in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by knw101 View Post
    Buy some "cheap thrills" for not a lot of money. Get used to "real watches" and find out what style you like. Once you have done that, you will know more about the type of watch you really Love and not just Lust after.
    Good advice and a good post!

OP, do some research, find out the difference between automatic and manual wind, power reserves, water resistance, complications like dates and moonphase and figure out what you like, want or even 'need'.

I've only been a member of this forum for 2 months and it's opened my eyes massively.

For many years I would only consider wearing Rolex and I rotated an Airking, DJ and 15000 Date.

Then a couple of years ago on a whim I decided to look at some "cheaper" watches, and bought a Seiko BFK diver and a vintage Tag Heuer 1000, likes them both far more than I thought and the penny finally dropped that there is a whole world of great watches out there that don't have a 5-point crown.

I'm a big fan of 1960s and '70s design and again on a whim bought a NOS 1970s Omega "hummer", a pre-quartz electronic watch. That really appealed to me both design wise and because of its quirkiness and so I started buying and reading up on early electric watches, tuning fork watches and 1970s-80s quartz.

Which led me to this forum. Which in turn has opened my eyes to a whole new world of still more interesting vintage watches, as well as new microbrand watches (as made and distributed by this forum's esteemed owner). And which I can guarantee will deplete my disposable income considerably for as long as the bug continues to bite,being as I'm a shopaholic and chronic hoarder.

So if I can offer any advice it would be to read, watch and learn and enjoy your knowledge and taste evolving.

As to "what to buy" some people say you should dip a toe in the water with a few cheap purchases while others say you should buy the more expensive piece you're interested in. I see it as an economic decision first and foremost. Whatever you buy you will most likely lose on if you sell it. Obviously it's your business alone but if acquiring the DJ you really want represents a big financial stretch then depleting your reserves by acquiring and selling a few cheaper pieces isn't going to be ideal and I suggest you might want to keep your powder dry and spend a few weeks reading, learning and seeing if something else is more to your taste. If you can afford to then that is probably good advice though.

Some great advice here.

This chap does some fascinating, well informed videos which may also be of help...

https://youtu.be/pF4oR_4jXn4?list=PL...zG1HPJCZlmyJs5

[May contain lengthy (sometimes hilarious) swearing rants]
    Last edited by TimeOut; 5th December 2015 at 16:04.

I joined this forum about 6 weks ago and asked a similar question to yours. I took the advice of the people here which I will summarize for you.

I was sure I wanted a Omega Seamaster or a Speedmaster, but didn't rush out and as I said.. I took the advice and bought "cheap" first.

I purchased an Seiko SKX007 (about £120) - a very popular watch amongst the community, and one that is respected by everyone "in the know" regardless if they own a bunch of Casio's or Rolex's. The SKX is a dive watch, and after a few days I soon realized that in fact, a dive watch is not appropriate for my life style. I wear suits mon - fri, and the dive watch is just too big.

So was buying the SKX a waste of money? Certainly not. I have a great little "beater" watch to wear on weekends and nice piece for the collection.

I am now looking into "dress watches" as my day to day. So for xmas I have asked for a Orient Bambino (about £80) - again another cheap thrill, to see how I get on with that. Although, I think the GF has also bought me a Junghans Max Bill.

Take the advice of the guys in the know. Start cheap, see what styles you like, and work your way up to you "grail" watch. It's fun learning about the watches as you educate yourself, and you can have fun with the "cheap thrills" along the way... I certainly am.
    Bang on the money. I lusted after various dress watches, real pretty things, I knew they were what I wanted. I was wrong, I would never wear the things, I have one in my collection that gets brought out when something a bit prettier is required, once in a blue moon.

OP, experiment, do not buy a DJ on whim, there is so much else out there to discover. You might find a small collection suits you more than a single dress watch. Equally you might find that the DJ is exactly what you want but the fun is in the finding out.

Master

Save and get a Seiko

I would listen to the above advise!!! Save for that Rolex you want and in the meantime you can't go wrong with a Seiko!!!
    Good luck!!

Chris

Master
    A lot of great advices here... On Your part, consider Your day to day life style... Are You a type of sporty Guy? Always on a suit or wear casual dress all the time... Then You can start what type of watch will suits You well... Then start saving for the watch You really want...

There are a few quality watches which nicely straddle the line between "dress" and "sports" which might be a way forward if you are after one "good" watch (although many people, myself included, would suggest getting a cheaper "beater" to keep it company).

In the right configuration the DJ itself might fit the bill, provided it isn't two-tone or blinged-up with diamonds, but otherwise how about Rolex Explorer, Omega Aqua Terra or Breitling Superocean Heritage?

Master
    Roles Explorer I I 16570......best value sports Rolex available.

Journeyman
    Thank you all for the invaluable advice

I wear a suit daily at work and have quite a small wrist also.

I would like automatic rather than quartz as I quite admire complex engineering!

I quite like the idea of buying some cheaper watches to determine what sort of watch should be 'the one'

Bearing in mind my small wrist size and the fact I wear suits, can anyone recommend a suitable starter watch. Is the Seiko 007 still a good starter or try something else

My Casio is approximately 30mm diameter which is fine, quite a slim profile. The Rolex DJ 36mm was also fine. Not sure anything larger would suit my wrist.

My wrist diameter is approximately is about 5cm if the helps

I would be really grateful for your continued advice

Many thanks

I've included a photo of my wrist with my cheap casio if this helps

Last edited by Aleem; 6th December 2015 at 13:16.

Journeyman
    Just because you've got small wrists, don't be put off by bigger watches. I've got small wrists and would quite happily wear up to a 42mm. Best thing is to go and try a few and get a feel of how they wear.

I would like automatic rather than quartz as I quite admire complex engineering!

I quite like the idea of buying some cheaper watches to determine what sort of watch should be 'the one'

Bearing in mind my small wrist size and the fact I wear suits, can anyone recommend a suitable starter watch. Is the Seiko 007 still a good starter or try something else

My Casio is approximately 30mm diameter which is fine, quite a slim profile. The Rolex DJ 36mm was also fine. Not sure anything larger would suit my wrist.

Many thanks

If you want to start reasonably affordably than the Seiko 007 is a brilliant place - in spite of owning plenty of other watches that cost much more including a few omegas, the 007 is still very much a favourite. To me it is what owning the perfect watch ought to be like; it goes with anything I wear & works in all situations and for most activities. The stock jubilee bracelet may be a bit rattly and primitive, but I look at this as part of the beauty of it - it's no more than it needs to be. A good honest watch.

As for the size - that's up to you, but I don't imagine it'll be an issue

Master
    As usual some great advice on here. OP you could try something like a Zeno Explorer which is very similar proportions to the datejust, only a tiny fraction of the price and will suit your wrist size just fine.
    Look on the Timefactors site there are some fantastic Smiths watches of a similar size as well and will suit your budget. Go with what you like not what other people think, try many on and take photos of them on your wrists for reference before you make your decision(s) don't part with your hard earned until you are sure. Welcome to the slippery slope. Keep us updated.

Craftsman
    Few suggestions for the Seiko 007, however try one. They are quite large and fairly tall too. If you want to wear it with a suit and fit it under a cuff it may not be exactly what you're after. If you like the date just then why not get something cheaper in a similar style? check out the Orient star range as there are some nice classic watches in here, they usually do have a power reserve indicator tho, not sure if you'd like that. Check out the Tissot Visodate or even some of the Seiko 5 models which are cheap but good value.

One other thing to consider is buying used, that way when you filp you wont lose out too much and it won't have that big an impact on your saving for the Rolex.

I would also say save up for the Rolex its worth it.

Master
    If You wear suits most of the time then Seiko 007 might not fit in well, You need something slim and will slide in well with Your sleeves... Keep trying other Models... Rolex Explorer I is another thing to consider but it doesn't have a date...

Having seen your latest post I'd say Seiko 5 SNXS73 (whatever dial colour you like, and can be put on a leather strap) for under £60, then the SARB033 at a later point.

I'm not at all in agreement with the "just save up for the Rolex" brigade and firmly in the "try lots of cheaper watches to decide what you like" corner.
    As quoted above, the entry level Seikos, Steinharts and micro brands like our hosts Timefactors range of Smiths and Precista will offer lots of opportunities to decide what you really like.
    Rolex are great, but they are far from the only luxury brand too, so it may be that you never buy a Rolex?
    I'd also check out Orient, they are great value and have in house movements.
    Creation Watches (Google them) would be a good jumping off point.

Oh and IMHO 42mm+ watches on small wrists look bloody stupid. If the strap / bracelet doesn't curve away from the lugs, it's usually a sign the watch is too big for you.
    Last edited by Wexford; 6th December 2015 at 14:46.

Craftsman

Many thanks

Hi chap

As i said in my response, I personally found the SKX too big to wear with a suit everyday. If you are like me in that regard, then a dress watch may be more suitable.

If you are indeed looking at the cheap thrills route then may I suggest following the path I have taken (based on the advice from others and that I summarized below in my first response).

SKX 007 / 009. £110-£120 depending on strap type. You will have a firm fav in your collection that will give you a taste for Automatic Dive / Tool watches.
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-7336.html

Orient Bambino £82. Another good little in-house automatic watch that gives you a dress watch option.
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-6420.html

For £200 delivered you will have both a dress and tool watch, both automatic, both good pieces to have in the collection. They are both a opposite ends of the spectrum, but you will soon get a feel for which is more suitable for you and your lifestyle. you can then decide to go down the Tool or Dress watch route for a more expensive purchase.

Again, enjoy the cheap thrills and learn about what you really want in a watch along the way.

Starter automatic dressy watch, Orient Bambino.

Edit: That'll teach me to read the thread before posting.
    The Bambino I've posted is an older version and in my opinion much more elegant. There are a few dial and hand styles now, but for my money the originals are the best.

Go to a decent watch shop that has all the brands you like, and try the ones on you fancy.

In in your shoes, I'd be buying my favorite Rolex on 0% finance and using it virtually every day - that's what I did over 20 years ago - and I'd have been happy if that was my only watch to this day. I'd probably be more tempted by a Submariner, as they tend to go with anything imo - but if you find a datejust better looking and/or more comfortable then there is no bad choice. Spending hundreds on a "make do" purchase makes no sense to me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    After doing lots of reading here, I have come across the Steinheart Ocean 1 range, looks very similar to a Rolex Submariner with a good quality ETA mechanism.

I'm thinking to get this as my first watch rather than a Seiko 007/009.

What does everyone think?

I think it's up to you.

I had a marcelloc nettuno (another sub homage) because I wanted something like a sub but without the huge cost. Eventually I stopped wearing it because I'd look at it and know it was only a copy of what I really wanted (and I bought an omega).

I later got a seiko skx007. To me it's a far more "honest" watch design wise and I wear it more than most others. BUT this is my opinion and you're the person buying the watch...

I think you know if you would be fine owning a copy of what you want, rather than the real deal. I personally couldn't, and would either buy something that stands on its own, or save up for expensive watch. But it's entirely up to you, nothing wrong with the Steinhart !

Personally I'd go for the SKX007.

After doing lots of reading here, I have come across the Steinheart Ocean 1 range, looks very similar to a Rolex Submariner with a good quality ETA mechanism.

I'm thinking to get this as my first watch rather than a Seiko 007/009.

What does everyone think?
    I'd recommend get the watch you actually want instead of wasting time and money on a lame substitute.

Stainless steel Rolex — job done.

Journeyman
    I quite like the idea of a cheaper first watch, I read some posts that the Seiko 007 tends to loose some time and I read the Steinheart has an ETA mechanism found in watches that cost a few thousand (Breitling etc), hence my logic to try the Steinheart for the better mechanism and try for size of a Submariner - I have quite small wrists

I am correct to assume the mechansim of the Steinheart will be much better than the Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I'd recommend get the watch you actually want instead of wasting time and money on a lame substitute.

Stainless steel Rolex — job done.
    Not all of us can afford exactly what we want

Personally, I'd rather wear an original Seiko than a lookalike Steinhart, regardless of movement.

I own both the steinhart ocean 1 green and skx007 both are nice watches but like a few have said the 007 feels a little more honest although I do love the ocean 1 still and will wear it with pride as most people will have no clue what watch it is anyway. Have you considered a tissot visodate at all? Yet again I own this watch and absolutely love it.

Did you get the max bill? Be interested to see some pictures if you do as that is a stunning watch! I like the look of the black chrono with the numbers on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    I would listen to the above advise!!! Save for that Rolex you want and in the meantime you can't go wrong with a Seiko!!!
    Good luck!!

Chris
    Bang on advice! Still saving for the rolex lv and it's going to be a while until it gets to me but one day, one day........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    I'm not at all in agreement with the "just save up for the Rolex" brigade and firmly in the "try lots of cheaper watches to decide what you like" corner.
    As quoted above, the entry level Seikos, Steinharts and micro brands like our hosts Timefactors range of Smiths and Precista will offer lots of opportunities to decide what you really like.
    Rolex are great, but they are far from the only luxury brand too, so it may be that you never buy a Rolex?
    I'd also check out Orient, they are great value and have in house movements.
    Creation Watches (Google them) would be a good jumping off point.

Oh and IMHO 42mm+ watches on small wrists look bloody stupid. If the strap / bracelet doesn't curve away from the lugs, it's usually a sign the watch is too big for you.

Absolutely agree with all of that.
    Can't beat a Seiko for a first watch, but 007 with a suit??, mmm not sure about that.

Do some research regarding styles etc first.

Yes you might be over the moon with your DJ, but if you go down the interest free route, you will be paying full retail, so eventually if your tastes change in the future, you will most probably take a significant hit in the pocket if you move it on.
    If you do some research and buy carefully, you could buy 3 or 4 Seikos, Steinharts et al and still lose less if you flip them in the future.

I quite like the idea of a cheaper first watch, I read some posts that the Seiko 007 tends to loose some time and I read the Steinheart has an ETA mechanism found in watches that cost a few thousand (Breitling etc), hence my logic to try the Steinheart for the better mechanism and try for size of a Submariner - I have quite small wrists

I am correct to assume the mechansim of the Steinheart will be much better than the Seiko?
    A tricky question, and one that has been much debated ( Google 7s26 vs 2824). The seiko movement may or may not be more accurate than an eta (my 007 has been more accurate than my omega, albeit a few years after the omega was last serviced).

The eta 2824 may be found in breitlings costing over 1k, but it's also been seen in watches costing £100; does this actually say anything about these watches?

Some makers modify eta movements (omega, Tutima...) which might make the movement better, but for Tudor seem to stake everything on the rest of the watch and brand name instead of the (until recently) eta inside to justify the high price (and I would happily have a snowflake sub if I could justify it)

Journeyman
    The one thing I admire with Rolex is how smooth the hand movements appear, particularly the seconds hand, just very smooth without notchy tick tock movements.

Put another way which budget watch would provide a nice smooth movement, particularly a Rolex like seconds hand movement?

The one thing I admire with Rolex is how smooth the hand movements appear, particularly the seconds hand, just very smooth without notchy tick tock movements.

Put another way which budget watch would provide a nice smooth movement, particularly a Rolex like seconds hand movement?
    Rolex uses a 28800 bph movement, which is the same as the Seiko and Steinhart, and most modern automatic movements. If you want a super smooth second hand, find a vintage Seiko Hi-Beat, with 36000 bph. You should be able to find one for a couple of hundred quids; although they are typically more dressy than a Sub/SKX007.

For a first mechanical watch you can't look past Seiko! Particularly a SKX007 for something rugged and sporty or one of the SARB's for something dressier and classy.

Journeyman
    You should also look at Hamilton watches. Some really nice watches for inexpensive prices.

For example, this one is only 38mm and has a handwind ETA movement, but can be had for only about $250 USD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-HML-H...eID=5777494011

(not my pic)
    Last edited by Foodle; 30th December 2015 at 01:03.

I started with Marathon GSar which has ETA movement. Nowadays I am playing with different Seiko SKX diver series such as SKX173, 009J and 007J. With Seiko oyster bracelet, you can not go wrong with Seiko divers.

As Foodle recommended Hamilton Khaki Auto series are extremely affordable with very good movements.

If you like quartz divers, then I will strongly recommend 7548-7XXX series which are also robust pieces.

Serdal

Serdal

Journeyman
    I am correct to assume the mechansim of the Steinhart will be much better than the Seiko?
    In short, no, that is not a correct assumption.

Both are capable of high accuracy if properly regulated. An ETA movement will not be inherently more accurate than a Miyota, Seiko, Seagull (Chinese), etc. In fact Seiko makes some very accurate movements for their Grand Seiko line. If you really want to see a smooth second hand, check out the Seiko spring drive movements. But cost and accuracy are not necessarily correlated.

Some manufacturers offer "chronometer" grade movements that have been regulated to at worst +6s to -4s per day. However, movement accuracy can change over time and other variables (e.g., watch orientation). Some manufacturers proudly advertise their chronometer grade movements on the dial (e.g. Rolex), but any well functioning movement should be able to be regulated to that range by a competent watch repairer.

You also must realize that when talking about mechanical movements, no matter the cost or manufacturer, the accuracy will be worse than most quartz movements. A properly regulated mechanical movement will be accurate to a few seconds a day. A high quality quartz movement will be accurate to a few seconds a month or better (e.g., if radio synched with atomic clock). Some manufacturers use very high quality/accuracy thermo-compensated quartz movements (e.g., Breitling, Omega).
    Last edited by Foodle; 30th December 2015 at 01:14.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Rolex uses a 28800 bph movement, which is the same as the Seiko and Steinhart, and most modern automatic movements. If you want a super smooth second hand, find a vintage Seiko Hi-Beat, with 36000 bph. You should be able to find one for a couple of hundred quids; although they are typically more dressy than a Sub/SKX007.
    Why offer advice if you're making it up as you go along? You just end up sowing confusion.

Most Seiko movements in their mid-range and entry level watches run at 21,600 bph. The 7s26 in the SKX007 being one example.

Theyre noticeably less smooth in the sweeping of the second hand than the 2824-2 in the steinhart. Not something that would bother me, but since it's a concern for the OP, wanted to make sure he wasn't getting duff information.

As your new to watches it's easy to get seduced by a Rolex, don't get me wrong they are fantastic but you can have a great journey getting to that value watch, just buying a Rolex from a £6 Casio is some jump, you have come to the right place as here you will see lots of makes and models.. don't rush out just yet, have a good look round this forum and no doubt something else will catch your eye..

Good luck in your search.