closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bolton Smith Deck watch

Bolton Smith Deck watch

I haven't posted anything in a while, so, for your pleasure, here's a watch that came recently!
    Deck watch by Bolton Smith of 26 Duke Street London.

Here's a bit of Information I found on David Penny's watch site, where he is describing a watch made a little prior to mine, Nr 606 whereas mine is 765 ;-)

Heavy silver crystal case hallmarked Birmingham 1907, casemaker JR (John Rotherham, Coventry). 16-size fullplate Rotherham supplied fusee movement, as often found in these Admiralty watches, also carrying Rotherhams number 215905. Compensation balance, spiral balance-spring. Enamel dial signed (painted) for Smith, also bearing the British Government 'Broad Arrow' mark. 53.5 mm diameter. Together with a photocopy of its Royal Navy History.

John Bolton Smith, 26 Duke St, Manchester Square, supplier of many Deck Watches and some chronometers to the Greenwich Trials. Sometime before the Second World War, the admiralty classified all their chronometers and deck watches using a 'HS' prefix, standing for Hydrographic Stores - not Hydrographic Survey as often wrongly stated. Items marked HS^1 are box chronometers, HS^2 are best quality Deck (Chronometer) Watches, HS^3 are Deck Watches, etc...

Rotherham & Sons Ltd, 27 Spon Street, Coventry, with offices at 1,2 & 3, Holborn Circus, London, at this point in the 20th century, the UK's premier manufacturer of top quality machine-made watches, both pocket and wrist, their fullplate movements often being used in Deck Watches, retailed by firms such as Dent, Johnson, Bolton Smith, etc.

I can find no record of this watch in any Greenwich Trial before it was purchased by the admiralty in June 1913, but it remained in service until at least 1936.

Last edited by Geronimo; 25th January 2016 at 17:14.

I love these deck watches, and thats a nice one. Wonder what ships that was on? How's the timekeeping btw?

Journeyman
    I am a great deck watch and chronometer fan and I own three box chronometers. The great puzzle for me in this case is how can a timepiece without a seconds indication be used as a true deckwatch?

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magpie View Post
    I am a great deck watch and chronometer fan and I own three box chronometers. The great puzzle for me in this case is how can a timepiece without a seconds indication be used as a true deckwatch?

The watch has only just arrived and the sweep center second hand is missing, I am trying to get hold of one at the moment ;-)
    It would probably look like this when I have found one ;-)

Last edited by Geronimo; 25th January 2016 at 19:31.

Journeyman
    Ah yes, now you mention it I can see the end of the second hand arbor which explains all. I am exceedingly envious of your find. I am sure you will source a seconds hand easily enough. Enjoy it.