closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Netgear Arlo CCTV anyone?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Nice spot, well done OP

Master
    They work really well. The battery life on mine has been really really good so far. You may also need to budget for a better bracket for wall mounting and I also added neoprene skins to mine to both protect the a bit more and tone down the white for outside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    That is ace! I cancelled at £299 and reordered with a free bulb at £265, that is nuts! Many thanks for the link!

Ohhh nuts!!! Just cancelled my order and went to reorder ... forgot the offer expire last night! DOH!!

That'll teach me not to start doing things until I've had a cup of tea first! :(

After initially singing the praises for this system I'm now left unimpressed, I have had to replace all 4 of my cameras at least twice (in warranty) and now the infrared on one has stopped working.

Time to look for an alternative!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    After initially singing the praises for this system I'm now left unimpressed, I have had to replace all 4 of my cameras at least twice (in warranty) and now the infrared on one has stopped working.

Time to look for an alternative!
    Have a look at Dahua. I just fitted a power over ip setup. Really easy to do, just one (ethernet) cable from the DVR to each camera carries power and a/v signal. I got starlight sensor cameras and the night vision is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by billymac View Post
    Have a look at Dahua. I just fitted a power over ip setup. Really easy to do, just one (ethernet) cable from the DVR to each camera carries power and a/v signal. I got starlight sensor cameras and the night vision is amazing.
    Where did you get the starlight from ?
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Where did you get the starlight from ?
    Thanks
    I bought them from China from a dealer on IP Camtalk.com. He is Andy from Empire Technology Co. He has a great rep on the forum, I took three weeks for my delivery to reach Scotland.

Arlo Pro on Amazon's deal of the day today: link.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Arlo Pro on Amazon's deal of the day today: link.
    good price

Sorry to crash an Arlo thread but it’s CCTV related. Has anyone tried “Blink”? It seems to get betters reviews on Amazon at least.

Master
    It’s a great idea in principal for a very simple system where there’s not much at risk, or for fun, but it couldn’t be used as a “professional” system.

I found the fact that the sensors don’t work through glass a bit annoying since I wanted to put them behind windows.

I returned mine and had another full professional system fitted. Yes, a lot more expensive but if you’re needing cctv, why cut corners?

Craftsman
    We have a pro installed Lilin system which, after initial teething problems, has proved excellent. Inside the house we've used Amazon Blink which I think was outstanding for the money. We chose this over Arlo. I could not recommend Blink more.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone upgraded from the pro version to the pro 2? Is it worth the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Has anyone upgraded from the pro version to the pro 2? Is it worth the upgrade?
    Didn’t upgrade, but have the pro 2 and it’s been excellent so far.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Didn’t upgrade, but have the pro 2 and it’s been excellent so far.
    |Whats the night vision like? sure i read that the 1080p camera is better picture quality but its not as good for night vision.

|Whats the night vision like? sure i read that the 1080p camera is better picture quality but its not as good for night vision.
    I will take a couple of snapshots tonight.

Excuse the mess and the bloody spider that got to the camera last night! Hopefully it give you an idea on quality.

IMG_0119.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Night vision has stopped working on one of my cameras!

On the ones that do work I find it very "directional". I have one on the corner of the house pointing down at my car, it looks down across a balcony with a stainless steel and glass balustrade, the refection that comes back off it is horrendous!

I had a quote through a few days ago from a local company to fit a proper system, £550 for a 2mp (1080p) system and £750 for a 5mp (4K) system, does anyone know if those prices are decent?

Night vision has stopped working on one of my cameras!

On the ones that do work I find it very "directional". I have one on the corner of the house pointing down at my car, it looks down across a balcony with a stainless steel and glass balustrade, the refection that comes back off it is horrendous!

I had a quote through a few days ago from a local company to fit a proper system, £550 for a 2mp (1080p) system and £750 for a 5mp (4K) system, does anyone know if those prices are decent?
    I paid £950 for a 3 camera 4k 5mp Hikvision system. I actually got a quote about £150 cheaper but they didn't come across as knowledgable in what they were doing (my neighbour used them and looks like I made the right choice) so ended up going with someone I have used before for aerial and satellite work

The Arlo was great as a starting point but the hardwired Hikvision is brilliant. Although alerts are not a patch on Arlo

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I paid £950 for a 3 camera 4k 5mp Hikvision system. I actually got a quote about £150 cheaper but they didn't come across as knowledgable in what they were doing (my neighbour used them and looks like I made the right choice) so ended up going with someone I have used before for aerial and satellite work

The Arlo was great as a starting point but the hardwired Hikvision is brilliant. Although alerts are not a patch on Arlo
    Yes this is a HikVision, not sure I really need the 4K though!

This lad did my factory 16 camera system and did a good job so happy to use him again.

I've never set up the notifications on the HIK, do they not work well? I suppose the beauty of it is 24 hour recording, so alert or not it is all recorded unlike the Arlo which alerts you and only records for a short while?

Yes this is a HikVision, not sure I really need the 4K though!

This lad did my factory 16 camera system and did a good job so happy to use him again.

I've never set up the notifications on the HIK, do they not work well? I suppose the beauty of it is 24 hour recording, so alert or not it is all recorded unlike the Arlo which alerts you and only records for a short while?
    I've not got to the bottom of the notifications to be fair but even the installer said they were a pain to set up (and I think they're email only) and the best way to use the system is use it when you need it and forget its there. I feel a lot better with that approach to be honest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Excuse the mess and the bloody spider that got to the camera last night! Hopefully it give you an idea on quality.

IMG_0119.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    That looks pretty decent. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I've not got to the bottom of the notifications to be fair but even the installer said they were a pain to set up (and I think they're email only) and the best way to use the system is use it when you need it and forget its there. I feel a lot better with that approach to be honest.
    Yes exactly, nothing worse than getting that notification in the night only to log on and see a moth hitting the camera!

Id much rather be able to view back in real time should an even have occurred.

Master
    Advisory email today to change your Arlo passwords.

Craftsman
    Anyone with recent experience with the Arlo Pro2 system?
    Last edited by Skyjack; 18th July 2018 at 14:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    Anyone with recent experience with the Arlo Pro2 system?
    I now have ProII

What info are you after?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I now have ProII

What info are you after?

Apologise for the late reply, very busy with work..

I'm after a 5 camera system; 4 outside (quite a big garden..), 1 inside. I have a wifi router with 2 cabled wifi boosters in rooms next to front and backgarden.

I could use all your info like:

- Could I link camera's to different wifi boosters?
    - Will a 40mb/10mb bandwith be good enough for a 5 camera system? What signal strenght will be the limit for a camera in the garden (I can't measure it in RSSI, only with my Iphone )
    - Will battery life with camara's 24 hours/day working combined with geofencing during the day, still be practical?
    - Is video quality during night with and without lighting, closeby and further away (5 to 20 yards) acceptable?
    - How about the 3 second look back mode; useful?
    - General quality? I have read about non functioning camera's after a some time and then supplier insisting on returning the whole system for guarantee reasons.

Many thanks!

Craftsman
    Last August I bought the Arlo Pro2 system with 4 camera's.
    I had a few geofencing problems during the first month, but in general the system worked fine until 4-5 weeks ago. Since then nothing but geo fencing problems;
    at first the system didn't recognise the location of the second Iphone, when away from home; so no camera/ alarm was set on.
    And now since 2 weeks many false alarms, because the system can't see you returning home, despite the fact that both Iphones are located 'ín zone'
    Seems to be caused by Arlo updates, but getting real tired of it now..

Anyone else with similar problems?

Craftsman
    Apologise for the late reply, very busy with work..

I'm after a 5 camera system; 4 outside (quite a big garden..), 1 inside. I have a wifi router with 2 cabled wifi boosters in rooms next to front and backgarden.

I could use all your info like:

- Could I link camera's to different wifi boosters?
    - Will a 40mb/10mb bandwith be good enough for a 5 camera system? What signal strenght will be the limit for a camera in the garden (I can't measure it in RSSI, only with my Iphone )
    - Will battery life with camara's 24 hours/day working combined with geofencing during the day, still be practical?
    - Is video quality during night with and without lighting, closeby and further away (5 to 20 yards) acceptable?
    - How about the 3 second look back mode; useful?
    - General quality? I have read about non functioning camera's after a some time and then supplier insisting on returning the whole system for guarantee reasons.

Many thanks!
    Arlo uses its own proprietary low power wi-fi network only. There is the Arlo-Q model (wired USB) that can run on regular wi-fi. So no you cannot use wi-fi boosters.

Yes 40MB is more than sufficient. Data use is very low, 5 cameras simultaneously is just a few Mbps. I can get a signal to an arlo camera 4 walls and 20m away.

Cameras only record on motion, they dont record 24x7. Battery life with say 10 motion events per day is about 3-4 months. Geo fencing does not affect Arlo, it just consumes the battery life on your phone like crazy. Its like running GPS nav app permanently. I dont use it because of that, easy just to press a button in the arlo app when I leave the house.

3sec lookback very useful, quality is excellent, have had a variety of arlo cameras for a few years now. Had one fault with an early model video going yellow. It was a known fault with a certain batch, was the IR mask. Camera was out of warranty, but still swapped out on next day delivery by Arlo tech support because it was a known hardware issue.

If you want a real wire free system arlo is the market leader and only real option. The reason these systems can exist is because arlo has patents on the low power wi-fi mechanisms and runs proprietary wi-fi from their own hub which is scaled for 5 cameras per base station. All the other "wire free" systems are bulls*it - they must either use huge batteries or massage their usage figures. Take a look at amazon blink cameras for example, where they say "2 years battery life" then you read the reality and its a few months the same or worse than arlo. Read the small print of how they work out the battery life. Arlo estimate their battery life of 3-6 months based on 5 minutes per day recording whereas blink estimate 2 years based on 25 seconds per day of use.

Master
    Two of my Arlo cameras have now decided they don't want to sync to the base station. Tried most of the fixes bar removing them and can't say I am happy as I have only had them a couple of years

Master
    I’ve got ring as my outdoor cameras, but tried Moobox for my indoor ones. Complete rip off of the Arlo, but does what I need (checking on the cat who just lost his brother to a car), can’t complain at all about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post

If you want a real wire free system arlo is the market leader and only real option. .
    Thanks for all the info! In the meantime I have bought the Arlosystem (see a few posts back), only now experiencing frequent geofencing problems, any advice?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Two of my Arlo cameras have now decided they don't want to sync to the base station. Tried most of the fixes bar removing them and can't say I am happy as I have only had them a couple of years
    Had my Pro 2 for a year and no problems, but after an update last month did have all 3 cameras "not synched". Simply reset the base station and resynched the cameras. Not ideal, but apart from that the system has been flawless. I'd still happily recommend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Had my Pro 2 for a year and no problems, but after an update last month did have all 3 cameras "not synched". Simply reset the base station and resynched the cameras. Not ideal, but apart from that the system has been flawless. I'd still happily recommend.
    Done the reset and magically they all now work again and the stuck IR filter on one seems resolved too. So many thanks for the tip. Did mean 12 new batteries as whatever was done drained the lot. Bit of a pain that their s/w updates probably caused it. But as you say apart from that they have worked well.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the info! In the meantime I have bought the Arlosystem (see a few posts back), only now experiencing frequent geofencing problems, any advice?
    Sorry I dont use the geofencing feature at all, tried it when it was beta and it just drained my phone battery too much. I find it just as convenient just to use the arlo app to enable/disable.

Geofencing is a bit flawed on all kinds of smart home products due to indoor inaccuracy of GPS, and the battery life issue. Its a nice dream feature that isnt as good in practice.
    Last edited by bogie; 29th May 2019 at 21:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post

Geofencing is a bit flawed on all kinds of smart home products due to indoor inaccuracy of GPS, and the battery life issue. Its a nice dream feature that isnt as good in practice.
    It seems more and more like this, indeed.
    Regretfully the geofencing feature was the second most important feature for me. My wife and me are both self-employed and are often home or out on different times. In the meantime I received an Iphone app update from Arlo (there were lot of complaints on the Arlo forum), but it is still not working like it should..