closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear Arlo CCTV anyone?

I've been looking at this thread for some time and contemplating these cameras but following some toerag breaking into my house last night with a crowbar I'm going to get them ordered

Journeyman
    Just ordered the Nitecore D4 and RcR123 rechargeables, gotta play the waiting game now to see if they arrive before the original batteries run out! Forgot to switch off recording on the main camera today so captured half an hour of my pathetic attempts to wash the car!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Forgot to switch off recording on the main camera today so captured half an hour of my pathetic attempts to wash the car!
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Hah! good one! Dont think I could afford the time for snowfoaming, two-bucketing and clay barring!

Heads up...!

Amazon have a Lightning Deal (£306) on the 3 camera system today. It runs for a few more hours...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Amazon have a Lightning Deal (£306) on the 3 camera system today. It runs for a few more hours...
    Thanks for the heads up had been looking at these so just ordered one.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    It lets the system know when you are approaching so it does not trigger a record when you arrive home, and also arms the system when you leave, pretty cool!

I set mine up this morning before I left for the office and it worked a treat but sadly my Wife is @ home ill and it doesn't recognise her as "at home", I'm presuming I will need to turn on location access on her iPhone tonight and all will be well.
    How are you finding the geo-fencing - it does sound a good idea for indoors although wonder if you might not want it to be recording at night (at least the outside cameras) ?

Blog Entries
    The geo fencing is ok, you just have to remember to set it before you go to bed which I constantly forget. It also seems to drain the battery on my phone a lot quicker, assume it's something to do with GPS useage, so I don't bother with it at all.
    It's a great system that works very well and if a buffoon like me can set it up then anyone can

It's a shame that the geofencing cannot be linked with schedule so the system will automatically switch from geo to say a night setting at a set time, like the hours of 7-7 it's in geo mode and then after this time it reverts to a night setting.

Blog Entries
    Yup, that's my way of thinking too. Would be an ideal solution, we need to get bogie on the case ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    It's a shame that the geofencing cannot be linked with schedule so the system will automatically switch from geo to say a night setting at a set time, like the hours of 7-7 it's in geo mode and then after this time it reverts to a night setting.
    You can do this, I tested my cameras on geo-fence for certain hours then schedule thereafter, but again, it really used up the battery on my Samsung S6 so was not practical, I went back to schedule and manual on/off when I leave the house for extended time (like away on business trips)

The battery life is being looked at, but its a balance between convenience of the Arlo knowing where you are by your phone GPS or not. Similar situation if you use your phone as sat nav without being powered from your car. It really drains the battery too.....

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Back up today...ends at 16h00.

Time to replace some of the batteries in mine, which brand of batteries tend to be the best rated for these cameras?

Also anymore info on the Pro version coming out?

I get Panasonic ones off Amazon, £10 for 10.

Blog Entries
    I get Panasonic ones off Amazon, £10 for 10.
    Yep x2. Replaced in two of the camera's yesterday funny enough.

I am nearly one year in and still very impressed with the set up, it does exactly what and is expected.

Has anyone given the new pro cameras a try???

Really want a Pro to replace the one in my front porch, love the idea of being able to speak to someone at the door, sadly it isn't available in the UK yet.

I'm still happy with mine, although the wifi isn't great on the system, it sometimes struggles to acknowledge a camera I have to the rear of the property even though it is showing as 3 bars on the wifi signal strength?

If I had had any input on the build of this house I would have specced wired but as I did not it works well for me as a simple cheap enough alternative.

Like above I'd like the pro version on my porch for the audio and the fact this camera has the most activing so the rechargeable battery will help.

Oh and thanks for the battery advise I'll order some now

Well 3 months later and I finally got round to installing my Arlo kit. Very easy set up using the magnetic mounts although may need to have an adjustment later or use some different mounts but very impressed so far.

The recording initially didn't work but seems to have kicked in overnight - possibly with firmware updates.

At the moment I have set the base to "armed" (all the cameras are outside) can anyone help with a suggested schedule, recording times etc. to speed up my set up please ?

Blog Entries
    good to hear all is up and running.

I have "when in" mode which just alerts when drive and front door camera detect motion as we cannot see these from indoors and want to know if anyone arrives.

I tend to have cameras on standard record with the exception of back door which needs more time to pick up all the path from gate.

This also triggers other things which I will not expand on as some scrote will know as much as me.

Thanks - I think that is what I want to happen too - is there a way of making detection on front door start all the other cameras recording ?

I can't see it in the modes - I could make say front door motion record driveway, but can't see how to make motion at front door have all 3 cameras record ?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Unfortunately, that isn't the case, nor is the attack limited to specific models of camera (those are just the examples given in the script).

This is nothing to do with the Netgear Arlo or any other wifi CCTV system. It applies to all 802.11 wifi devices. A special kind of data packet called a 'deauth' packet can be sent by a malicious user, purporting to come from the device in question and telling the wifi router to disconnect it. The device will then try to reconnect, but if the attacker keeps broadcasting deauth packets, the device will be continuously disconnecting and reconnecting and unable to send data.

Deauth packets are not encrypted, so the attacker doesn't need to be authenticated to the network in order to send them. There is an advanced wifi standard called 802.11w which uses encrypted management frames, largely eliminating this kind of attack, but it's not yet widely used.

Basically, if you're within signal range of a wifi network, you can kick any devices off it you like, and it's untraceable. All wireless CCTV systems are vulnerable, even if the base station is wired to the router, so long as the cameras are wireless.

Reality check, though: opportunist burglars and light-fingered cleaners are unlikely to be carrying phones or laptops set up for wifi jamming. If the cameras are well-hidden, nobody knows they're there to be jammed. So I wouldn't worry too much; just be aware.
    ^ Correct. The kit for doing this is easily available and easy to use.

Also consider for wired or wireless systems, always make sure you have authentication set on whatever system you're using. Cheap/trial webcam solutions often have no authentication at all, that may not be an issue depending on the application (camera outside watching birds on a lake etc.) and you can save money. But there are thousands of cameras around the world in peoples homes and businesses which are completely open to anyone on the internet with a web browser.
    Last edited by Vampire; 6th December 2016 at 13:49.

This must be a good deal?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Smart-.../dp/B00TDNYNN0

Edit: It must have been a good deal because they all sold out within half an hour of me posting (they were £239 for the three-camera set).
    Last edited by Tony; 6th December 2016 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    This must be a good deal?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Smart-.../dp/B00TDNYNN0

Edit: It must have been a good deal because they all sold out within half an hour of me posting (they were £239 for the three-camera set).
    It was a good deal - additional cameras are 110 each so would have been worth "breaking" the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Thanks - I think that is what I want to happen too - is there a way of making detection on front door start all the other cameras recording ?

I can't see it in the modes - I could make say front door motion record driveway, but can't see how to make motion at front door have all 3 cameras record ?
    I have now found in "custom modes" I can configure multiple events so happy with that.

Just a quick question, has anyone had issues with a delay between when the sensor is triggered and alerts/recording starting.

Am thinking of getting this system but have seen above mentioned in some reviews.

Blog Entries
    Not really an issue but are you talking more than the 10 seconds it takes to start recording?

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Not really an issue but are you talking more than the 10 seconds it takes to start recording?
    That's probably it then, does seem like quite a long interval between detection and starting recording.

Is there the same time lag for sending you alerts?

Blog Entries
    There is a delay but you can minimise through upping the sensitivity.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    There is a delay but you can minimise through upping the sensitivity.

Pitch

Ok but is it really as long as 10 seconds?

Blog Entries
    Think mines set for 10 seconds but this stops it recording every time a bird flies in front of a camera or a cat walks across the garden, if someone is up to no good they'll be on camera a lot longer than 10 seconds

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a great product - the wireless aspect really appeals to me and after getting my disco 4 keyed on both sides in my drive, I have been looking for a solution.

Whats the range like (maximum distance from wifi router to camera)? My drive is a fair distance away

Are the cameras really robust for crap cold weather?

I am a bit internet restricted but would only require cameras to be on at night time - are the uploads to the cloud huge? Can you use / trick it to use the SD card backup instead?

They can withstand a lot of harsh weather, I have one on the gable end of my house which is 50m from the sea and it's been fine, it just needs a wipe every now and again (which I've tasked the window cleaner with as it's up high).

WiFi can be an issue, the cameras to the front of my house are fine but the ones to the rear don't read a good signal, I suppose it's where you locate the hub? All mine work fine though regardless of "bar" reading.

There is a new version out now with 2 way audio which would be great for front porch etc.

I'm also thinking of replacing the standard cam with a pro on the porch, before doing so is there any advantages of updating the base unit to the pro?

Craftsman
    The Pro base station adds an in home siren and USB ports to add local storage option. Otherwise similar functionality, it is a bit smaller too and I prefer the design.

The Pro cameras add rechargeable battery packs, 2 way audio, option to mains power (indoor or outdoor rated) and other improvements. Loads of info here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/...o/default.aspx

The delay reported by some people is often due to poor connectivity, remember this is a cloud based system and the back end is in Amazon data centres around the world - map here to their locations. https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/ The system is not bandwidth hungry, its the round trip delay that can cause issues. In major countries on a good link, latency is not an issue, but say you are in the Middle East and connected over some under sea fibre into Milan, then the responsiveness isnt going to be the same as if you were in London. You cant beat physics. Im sure one day AWS will reach all corners of the world.....

Does anyone know if you can use the non 'Pro' cameras with the 'Pro' base station?

Master
    or get a ring doorbell?

They can withstand a lot of harsh weather, I have one on the gable end of my house which is 50m from the sea and it's been fine, it just needs a wipe every now and again (which I've tasked the window cleaner with as it's up high).

WiFi can be an issue, the cameras to the front of my house are fine but the ones to the rear don't read a good signal, I suppose it's where you locate the hub? All mine work fine though regardless of "bar" reading.

There is a new version out now with 2 way audio which would be great for front porch etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Does anyone know if you can use the non 'Pro' cameras with the 'Pro' base station?
    Yes you can hence why I deciding if upgrading the base is worth it! I might just add the pro cam to replace the current porch one and then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post

Link:

"Arlo Pro Cameras are backwards compatible and will sync to your Arlo Wire-Free base station. Arlo Wire-Free cameras will also sync to your Arlo Pro base station."

Thank you for below replies

Well one of my cameras now has a red hue to it which means the IR filter has got stuck on.

I have tried a reboot but wondered if anyone else encountered this before I go about contacting Netgear ?

I contacted NetGear via email on Jan 2nd and they have been very efficient. Had a few emails and they are sending me a replacement camera and I will have 10 days to return the defective camera to them in a prepaid package so full marks to Netgear.

Of course the red tint has gone today but I expect it will be back...

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Good update MB2, thinking of getting a two camera system myself.

Blog Entries
    Over the first 12 months of ownership I have had two go down with this problem and both have been replaced within a week FOC.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Good update MB2, thinking of getting a two camera system myself.
    No problem - it is a pretty good system. I like the fact it has its own WiFi base - my house is a bungalow so wide and the base is at one end but the signal reaches well.

I would consider a 3 camera system as I have one at each end of the house and then a third watching the front door. The three all detect movement and record individually, but I have also linked the three so if there is activity at the front door the other two also record maximising the chances of a good recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Over the first 12 months of ownership I have had two go down with this problem and both have been replaced within a week FOC.

Pitch
    I hope it is now resolved as it might become a pain once warranty has expired otherwise. Mine has now gone back to a red hue so I am glad I continued with the replacement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I hope it is now resolved as it might become a pain once warranty has expired otherwise. Mine has now gone back to a red hue so I am glad I continued with the replacement.
    This is an ongoing historic problem and one would hope they will not be silly. Mine is now out of warranty so willl keep everyone posted.

Pitch

I guess while we are in the EU then 2 years is going to be reasonable and as you say it will be bad PR if they start denying warranty.

My replacement arrived today - brand new camera in the box - I guess they may start sending out recons at some point if it is an ongoing mechanical fault that can be repaired at the factory.

In the meantime I have a post paid sticker and 30 days to return it so very happy with Netgear's warranty support at the moment.

There was a break in 2 doors down from me a couple of days ago which has got me thinking about security kit. The 3 camera kit is currently on a lightning deal for £289.99. Is this worth getting? I'd probably set it up to cover the front door, back door and our conservatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    There was a break in 2 doors down from me a couple of days ago which has got me thinking about security kit. The 3 camera kit is currently on a lightning deal for £289.99. Is this worth getting? I'd probably set it up to cover the front door, back door and our conservatory.
    I would say yes - but only after fitting a burglar alarm. A lot depends on how you can site the cameras but it is nice to get a notification when someone is on site. I have 3 cameras one on each corner of the house - and a third at the front door.

The bad bit is the corner ones don't always trigger when I come up the drive, but they do get passing traffic so I think they prefer movement across their sensors, the good bit is I have set the front door camera to also make the others fire up.

I think the important thing to understand is they are essentially PIR detectors that then fire a camera up, that said the ease of use etc. is terrific and I am glad I bought them and will probably buy another to act as an expensive trigger for the system.