TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear Arlo CCTV anyone?

Blog Entries
    Cheers Pitch, much appreciated just what I was looking for

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Cheers Pitch, much appreciated just what I was looking for
    More than welcome and if there is anything else you are unsure about happy to chat over the phone.

Pitch

Craftsman
    My batteries are lasting about 6-9 months. Outdoor one went first. But it depends how long im away from home each week and have it on 24 x 7 then

You can use the recommended brand rechargeable batteries, they wont last as long but cheaper long term. Im still on lithium off amazon, for £10 a set every 6 months im not too bothered. Remember its designed to work on movement only, its not a 24x 7 run all the time solution like a traditional IP camera to NAS setup

Ive supplemented my indoor Arlo with Arlo-Q which is mains powered and has audio

For outdoors im looking at a small solar panel to charge a rechargeable battery for a bottom of the garden on shed solution.......

I've had my 3 camera system running for a month or so. All outside cameras and all batteries still showing full charge. I'll replace these with rechargeables when they fail.
    In my experience the system was very easy to set up (for some reason the set-up would not work on one PC but was fine on a laptop).
    I'm just using the default set-up and i'm happy with the motion detection.

For info, the system comes with its own wifi base station - so you will have an additional wifi network running (which you can see from other wifi devices but not use of course).

I did buy a couple of the adjustable mounts but was disappointed with the quality compared with the camera units. I would have looked elsewhere if i had know.
    https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/add-on/vma1000.aspx

Blog Entries
    Ditto on the adjustable mounts. They do as it says on the tin but they are a tad naff.

Master
    These look like just the sort of thing I am after. My only concern is how secure they are in situ. I want to mount a camera on my garage pointing down the driveway. However there isn't anywhere on the garage to mount the camera up high so I am concerned a potential scally could just remove the camera with ease!? Likewise, it would be handy to have one mounted in the porch, but again there isn't anywhere very secure to mount one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    These look like just the sort of thing I am after. My only concern is how secure they are in situ. I want to mount a camera on my garage pointing down the driveway. However there isn't anywhere on the garage to mount the camera up high so I am concerned a potential scally could just remove the camera with ease!? Likewise, it would be handy to have one mounted in the porch, but again there isn't anywhere very secure to mount one.
    The base of the cameras have a thread for mounting onto the Arlo adjustable mounts so I am guessing you could source a generic CCTV camera mount and bolt it to this as you would any camera. You are quite right though with the standard mag dome mount they could be had away..

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The base of the cameras have a thread for mounting onto the Arlo adjustable mounts so I am guessing you could source a generic CCTV camera mount and bolt it to this as you would any camera. You are quite right though with the standard mag dome mount they could be had away..

Paul
    Would a 1/4 UNC projecting anchor bolt help? The sort that Rawlbolt make, but only in metric sizes. Powers Fasteners make them, but they're Canadian and I cannot find a source in the UK.

Craftsman
    they have standard camera threads. I just use some £2.99 black generic mounts off ebay for outdoors, and put them up high. There are so many mounts out there you can use, but ultimately they all just screw on and off the camera thread. ....at least you should see the person nicking it....
    Last edited by bogie; 27th March 2016 at 16:41.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help chaps, picked up the 2 camera set from PC World this week which was on offer ( was waiting for bogie to offer me his staff discount but got big,fat nothing )

Just waiting for my brackets to arrive then I'll get it set up, looks a great system and will suit my needs exactly.

Cheers again

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Mine is a Qvis. It is wired (using Ethernet cables) rather than wireless though. It was a bit of a faff to get it up and running fully with email alerts, remote viewing etc but now it is it works quite well. Picture quality is excellent, I have 2*2mp cameras covering the front and back of the house and a 3mp with sound covering the porch. Any activity in the porch and it emails me with a snapshot of who is there.

snapshot of the cleaner and her loot:
    Classic, she did not know the camera was there lol. Good smart camera placement my friend

I was interested in this but thought the cost a bit high. Did some reading and came across this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keekoon-Wire...=keekoon+kk002

Got it set up on my dining room window ledge inside looking at the garage and back door. You use an app on your phone and it seems to work pretty well. Only slight downside is the night vision part, there is some reflection off the glass but if you position the camera the light reflection doesn't really interfere with the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I was interested in this but thought the cost a bit high. Did some reading and came across this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keekoon-Wire...=keekoon+kk002

Got it set up on my dining room window ledge inside looking at the garage and back door. You use an app on your phone and it seems to work pretty well. Only slight downside is the night vision part, there is some reflection off the glass but if you position the camera the light reflection doesn't really interfere with the picture.
    Yep...there are various other options, but are there any that are battery powered like the Arlo?

Really liking my 5 camera set up, it has taken a little tweaking with positioning to get full coverage of the motion sensors but very pleased.

I'm sure I saw this topic dicussed over on the Arlo forum but can't find it now, think it would be good it the system could recognised your phone so as it joins the wifi when you get home it automatically turns the motion detection on/off or toggles to a different mode.

Guest the system has plenty of potential for future firmware updates lets just hope Netgear makes advances in what the system can offer

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Yep...there are various other options, but are there any that are battery powered like the Arlo?
    Ah forgot about the battery powered bit. For my purpose though these are OK for what I need.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Really liking my 5 camera set up, it has taken a little tweaking with positioning to get full coverage of the motion sensors but very pleased.

I'm sure I saw this topic dicussed over on the Arlo forum but can't find it now, think it would be good it the system could recognised your phone so as it joins the wifi when you get home it automatically turns the motion detection on/off or toggles to a different mode.

Guest the system has plenty of potential for future firmware updates lets just hope Netgear makes advances in what the system can offer

"geofencing" is where you will be able to register your phone(s) and auto arm/disarm when in range. It will come eventually and make it even more convenient, so you dont have to remember to press a button on the phone app when you come home :)

Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    "geofencing" is where you will be able to register your phone(s) and auto arm/disarm when in range. It will come eventually and make it even more convenient, so you dont have to remember to press a button on the phone app when you come home :)
    Geofencing that was it!

Pretty sure my Nest thermostat uses that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Geofencing that was it!

Pretty sure my Nest thermostat uses that.
    it will do so long as you have given google the right to track your phone...which you probably have done when you clicked "accept" after installing the nest app etc

Master
    I'm also looking at the Arlo stuff...

To start with Id want one camera at the front door and one covering the back. Is it easy enough to switch the profiles for them so that when we're out they'll be on full motion detection mode and when home we can just turn them off? If you've switched them off is it easy enough to switch them back on if for example someone knocks on the door and I want to know who it is before I get my arse off the sofa?

I'm assuming that they can't be used with IFTTT yet? We've got the Nest Thermostat and a few protect alarms and the auto away works really well. Be good to make the cameras switch on when Nest goes to auto away.

Blog Entries
    You can set the cameras to what ever recording or alerting mode you want they are very flexible.

I have 5 modes to suit all our circumstances when in and out. Our 'When in' mode simply alerts all our iPhones but does not record, we can just click on the live cameras to view who is on the drive or at the front door.

There is the ability when one camera detects motion others will record also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    You can set the cameras to what ever recording or alerting mode you want they are very flexible.

I have 5 modes to suit all our circumstances when in and out. Our 'When in' mode simply alerts all our iPhones but does not record, we can just click on the live cameras to view who is on the drive or at the front door.

There is the ability when one camera detects motion others will record also.
    I tested the same as your 'when in' mode but wish it would give the option to take a pic/1-2 sec film or at least update the camera feed page so I didn't have to click on the camera and wait for a live feed.

Well seeing as though some undesirable(s) tried to steal our LR Discovery the other night I think I need CCTV!

I park the cars on the road so motion-detection would not be suitable, I'd need a system recording all the time. The Arlo Q caught my interest, but I'm a bit concerned about the effect the constant streaming would have on our broadband speed (plus having to pay monthly for cloud storage)

Does anyone know of a system that would record onto a HDD, but then link that unit up to wifi to allow remote reviewing? The cameras would be installed in the house, looking out through a window. Even better if the cameras would communicate with the base unit via wifi. (I'm not sure if I'm being clear!). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Well seeing as though some undesirable(s) tried to steal our LR Discovery the other night I think I need CCTV!
    How would that help? The car will still be gone.

My goodness. Perhaps it might help identify the person that tried to take it?

Why does anyone have CCTV then?

My goodness. Perhaps it might help identify the person that tried to take it?

Why does anyone have CCTV then?
    It's a fair question. Quite possibly it just makes people feel better. Some argue that it deters crime (only if the cameras are visible, of course), but evidence on this point is hard to come by.

Even if you were able to identify the thief from CCTV, which is far from a given, that doesn't mean you can find them. Even if you can find them, it doesn't mean you'll necessarily get your car back.

Does anyone have useful advice?

Craftsman
    Arlo-Q plus can record to an SD card, or just go for free 7 day storage .....surely you would notice in 7 days if something had gone missing ?

or just leave it record on movement ? it will pick up someone getting in the car

...and you get Arlo stickers to put in your windows to let thieves know they are under surveillance l ;)

I use Arlo wireless in my garden, front door/drive, in the main room and then Arlo-Q is in the garage. My missus likes to use it as an intercom to talk to me when im in there....also handy for ordering coffee etc ...

Master
    Does anyone have useful advice?
    Our wired system (qvis) records locally to hdd and allows remote viewing on iPhone etc, most modern systems do I think. The picture I added further up the thread of our cleaner making off with stuff from our house was what our system emailed me when it detected motion, you will see the quality is pretty good.

Whilst the system is wired, you don't necessarily need to run new cables if there is a nearby socket. I have a camera mounted on our log cabin looking back at the rear of the house and send the signal down the power lines to the cctv box using a powerline adaptor.

Thanks. Do you have to connect the VDR to the router with a cable, or is it on wifi?

Master
    Thanks. Do you have to connect the VDR to the router with a cable, or is it on wifi?
    It is connected with a cable, but again you can use powerline adaptors. I did this initially until I got round to running some cat5 cabling

Just to let everyone know who has one of these, geofencing is now available through an update on the App Store!

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Just to let everyone know who has one of these, geofencing is now available through an update on the App Store!
    Updated this morning, will test it out after work today.

Still wish they would add a still picture option rather then a recording only

Blog Entries
    Mine updated this morning, what does the geofencing do?

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Mine updated this morning, what does the geofencing do?
    It lets the system know when you are approaching so it does not trigger a record when you arrive home, and also arms the system when you leave, pretty cool!

I set mine up this morning before I left for the office and it worked a treat but sadly my Wife is @ home ill and it doesn't recognise her as "at home", I'm presuming I will need to turn on location access on her iPhone tonight and all will be well.

Blog Entries
    Aah righto, that is pretty clever I'll have a go at it tonight. Cheers for that

Just set mine up.
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Can any of you ARLO experts tell me if it is possible to set up a stand alone one terabyte drive to the USB port on the back of the router for recording purposes.?

Is it a simple matter of plug and play, or is there any messing about to do?

many thanks in advance ……Rob

I am still toying over the idea of buying one, just not pulled the trigger yet :-)

All recordings are stored in the cloud, if you want one you just download it, simples!

If you want a 24/7 recording system this is not for you I'm afraid, the batteries would cost you a fortune!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    All recordings are stored in the cloud, if you want one you just download it, simples!

If you want a 24/7 recording system this is not for you I'm afraid, the batteries would cost you a fortune!
    Ok thanks for you help, just purchased the Arlo 3 camera system off Amazon, gets delivered tomorrow, no doubt I will be posting for help LOL

thanks for your reply.

Rob…...

Craftsman
    Arlo-Q plus camera has SD card recording as a backup and is USB powered so can run 24 x 7 if you want to . Its an add on camera to the arlo wireless system

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    Arlo-Q plus camera has SD card recording as a backup and is USB powered so can run 24 x 7 if you want to . Its an add on camera to the arlo wireless system
    Thanks Bogie, just been on Amazon and orderd one, looks a rather cool bit of kit, i like the idea of being USB/mains powered.

Rob

Craftsman
    Does the base station have to be wired to your router or can you connect it via wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Does the base station have to be wired to your router or can you connect it via wifi?
    I found this answer to a similar question on their community pages (link): "No, you can't use WiFi to connect the base station with the router. You must use Ethernet."

Craftsman
    I found this answer to a similar question on their community pages (link): "No, you can't use WiFi to connect the base station with the router. You must use Ethernet."
    Cheers

Journeyman
    Just got one of these systems, does anyone know what the two USB sockets are for on the base station?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Just got one of these systems, does anyone know what the two USB sockets are for on the base station?

"Future use", see: link.

Craftsman
    What's the best price anyone has seen for a 3 or 4 camera full kit on these?

Journeyman
    "Future use", see: link.
    Thanks! gotta figure out if rechargeables is more cost effective rather than normal batteries now

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Thanks! gotta figure out if rechargeables is more cost effective rather than normal batteries now
    Apparently you need to use 3.7V Li-ion rechargeables (link) so this may be useful info: Rechargable battery usage vs time by type.

From personal experience, I'd recommend the Nitecore D4 charger.

Journeyman
    Cool, thanks once again!