closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancelled My Sky TV

I went into the chat facility having first copied a brilliant chunk of text from something on the net about wanting 50% off and £100 credit. Here is the summary:

S: I can offer you 20% off for 12 months.

Me: No. This is also quite a poor offer.

S: How else can I help?

Me: I've been with Sky since 1995, that is the best you have?

S: I can do 35% for 12 months.

Me: Right, this is not good. I told you I was short of time and wanted your best offer. Within 30 seconds you increase it. Ridiculous. And its the same low ball offer that is on my home page, so hardly great now is it?

S: Sky Expert is typing....

Me: I have seen many customers getting 50% for 12 months and 100% credit applied to their account. I'd like this, please. otherwise it is goodbye.

S: The 50% offer expired some time ago. I cannot do that.

Me: Goodbye.

I received an email asking for some feedback so i completed it with some harsh comments. I am probably not going to bother with them anymore as I have an Android box coming and that is great from what I have been told. I think even at 50% and some credit it is not worth listening to Henry and Quinn slag City.

E mail from sky today saying my package is going up£5 a month because of extra stuff on show. It's a joke

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    At first it seems like witchcraft but it's actually more like >>>>
    you buy the Now TV box with the Plex app installed and set up. You put it onto your broadband - wireless or cable. It then connects to the provider's server via the app so you can gain access to the content. You navigate to what you want to watch using the Now remote. It feels a bit like using Kodi on a Firestick but I've found this much more reliable. Sorry for the basic description but I'm a bit of a luddite with this kind of tech. I just like it to work with minimal faffing.
    I'm currently paying £79.25 just for Entertainment, Family, HD, Multi Room & Sports, really considering leaving.
    The main channels that are needed are Sky One, Atlantic, Arts, Living, Sports 1-5, Good Food & BT Sports 1-2.
    I'm thinking about getting a Now TV Box and subscribing to a server, are the above channels on the server you are using & how long have you been on that server and would you recommend it?

Thanks

Journeyman
    £4.75 increase... upto c£70.

Just cancelled online. Got offered 35% for 9 months Declined and cancelled.

Now to find a new service supplier.

Any one use BT TV, thoughts?

Master
    I was paying £50 a month for unlimited infinity, youview & anytime calls.
    Must of spent hours every month complaining to the idiots in India about my internet dropping out & being unable to watch the footie or moto GP.
    When I got a call from sky asking if I would like to join them, just said yes, so long as I can have everything for £50.
    Big pause, we can do it for £52, joined on the spot.
    Got great pleasure contacting BT & telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    To be told you still have six months left on contract, FU BT Sky are paying up my contract!
    Seven months in not had to call Sky once.
    May have a fight on my hands in five months time. But fine for now.

Just had a chat....

Spoke to them about my parents account that they get half price until 16/6/16

He said call and renegotiate neRer the time but did say.... Get this....

5 year offer

As they've had it ten years they are entitled to thirty per cent off for the next 5 years if they'd like that when it comes up
    Or maybe are to do s better one year deal

So those who don't like haggling
    If you have had unit erupted service for years

Give them a call and tell them you're cancelling unless they can do something
    Easy as that

Journeyman
    I bit the bullet and decided to try this cancellation malarkey. Well the guy on the chat said the best he could offer was 35% for 9 months. Needless to say I rejected this and proceeded to cancel and now have the 35% off for 12 months in my account. will hold out a bit to see what else we can get.

thanks to the info on here I feel a deal coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    I bit the bullet and decided to try this cancellation malarkey. Well the guy on the chat said the best he could offer was 35% for 9 months. Needless to say I rejected this and proceeded to cancel and now have the 35% off for 12 months in my account. will hold out a bit to see what else we can get.

I got 60 per cent off after leaving properly and just missing sky for a few months

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post

When you say "35% off for 12months in my account" where do you see this? I've logged on and don't see any offers!????

Cheers Andy

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post
    When you say "35% off for 12months in my account" where do you see this? I've logged on and don't see any offers!????

Cheers Andy
    When I logged in to my account on Sky.com it was sitting there on the main home screen (My Sky account) waiting for me :) took about five minutes to get there but it should show.
    Last edited by L8_M8; 12th April 2016 at 17:21.

Journeyman
    I made the call yesterday, they made me some offers which would get me the following:

Sky Fibre
    Basic Phone
    TV with HD and Variety
    Multiroom

For about £70 a month going up to around £90 after 9 months... Didn't seem like a particularly good offer so I have now cancelled Sky! Hopefully they will come back to me with a new offer as I quite like Sky and not really sure how I'm going to watch Formula 1 without it.

Still need to cancel Virgin, might see if they can do me a better offer...

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    I was paying £50 a month for unlimited infinity, youview & anytime calls.
    Must of spent hours every month complaining to the idiots in India about my internet dropping out & being unable to watch the footie or moto GP.
    When I got a call from sky asking if I would like to join them, just said yes, so long as I can have everything for £50.
    Big pause, we can do it for £52, joined on the spot.
    Got great pleasure contacting BT & telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    To be told you still have six months left on contract, FU BT Sky are paying up my contract!
    Seven months in not had to call Sky once.
    May have a fight on my hands in five months time. But fine for now.
    This is exactly my fear now that I've cancelled Sky TV. I had no issue with them service wise for 99% of the time other than cost. So whilst I check out all the new customer deals from BT and Virgin etc I'm worried that another provider will not be up to scratch and I'll end up in a worse position and wishing was spending more money on Sky!

I suspect my best option will be to drop out of subscription services for a few months at least and then target a Sky Q offer in the Autumn say when the Premier League starts again!

In the meantime I'll get a NOW TV Box so I can watch the remaining Golf Majors and Ryder Cup.

Craftsman
    As I've said a few posts back, I cancelled my Sky services and hoped for a cracking offer to appear in my Sky account. Well today I've taken a leap of faith and joined BT. Faster BB, Sports and the tv stations I normally watch all for £38 a month. Happy with that and if it doesn't work out I'll head back to Sky for a deal in 12 months. Also I got £157 TopCashBack so I'm pretty happy.

I had a chat in the Virgin Media store yesterday. They boast 200mb with basically fibre to the house. I dunno. The online forums slate VM. Then again, those forums are for general slating so very little positive on any of the providers. I'm not convinced by VM. Anyone with any experience with them? Tying us into an 18 month deal that turns to garbage as soon as it starts has me a bit jittery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    I had a chat in the Virgin Media store yesterday. They boast 200mb with basically fibre to the house. I dunno. The online forums slate VM. Then again, those forums are for general slating so very little positive on any of the providers. I'm not convinced by VM. Anyone with any experience with them? Tying us into an 18 month deal that turns to garbage as soon as it starts has me a bit jittery.
    tbh I know it's tempting BUT I wouldn't be swayed by the speed promise. Even it's real, do you really need 200meg? 99% of the sites you go to won't be able to send you data at that speed anyway and if it's for TV streaming then that only needs c. 2 to 5meg. Okay you might be able to download ripped off dvds quicker but that's about it! I'd be more swayed by a stable connection at perhaps 40meg than an unstable/variable 200meg.

Master
    I have been on VM fibre for years now and had no issues. See very high download speeds and can have lots of hosts streaming, downloading and browsing at the same time. The TIVO box runs a bit hot but works fine and the TV feed is separate from the Internet feed. One thing though, and it may of changed now, is that the iPlayer from the TIVO box app was poor but we just run it from the TV natively.

Journeyman
    I've had Virgin for years now. Over the past few years I've had on average 1 broadband outage a year. The TV services have issues a little more frequently - esp the catch up stuff. Never had issues with the phone line...but given how little we use it, I'm not sure I'd notice.

Negotiating with them produces less favourable results than Sky from my experience. You might get some discount, maybe even get one of the current "new user" offers for a little while, but 50% off and a £100 credit...

The broadband is great. TV not so much. You only get all the HD streams on the top package and the tivo box is now 5/6 years old without a hardware update so its a little slow (for example iplayer and netflix take an age to load up).

I wouldn't change the broadband, but could live without the tv and phone...but taking some level of them doesn't cost too much more.

Thanks.

I have Zen with their 76mb thing. Speed tests show us at low 20s and although I accept that you don't need the huge speeds, getting 23 when you pay for 76 seems to me to be a rip off.

200 is totally ott, sure. Decisions decisions.

Journeyman
    I'm only on 100mb and the speed tests I've done show that I do get around that (averages a little more about 105). I work from home every so often and being able to grab files that are 1gb or more within minutes is great.

Master
    I actually dumped Virgin Media's broadband to move over to Sky. I was having problems with my area being massively oversubscribed and my speed was dropping consistently from the advertised 50mbit during the daytime, right down to 2mbit in the evenings and on weekends. This was verified from multiple computers, both wired and wireless, in my house.

Couldn't play online games (getting kicked for massive ping spikes) and internet speeds were just pants. Virgin accepted there was a problem but could not confirm a date for when it would get fixed. They eventually did give me a date for repair (months away from the point where I could cancel my contract) but even then said it wasn't a concrete date and could change! I got a token amount knocked off my bill. They then tried to get me to sign up for another 12 months. Needless to say I walked.

All I'd say before going with VM is at least try asking some neighbours if they have it and if they're getting good speeds. I know most people who have it have no problems and is the fastest broadband out there, but my experience left a very sour taste.

I'm only getting about 20-25mbit now with sky fiber broadband but at least it's consistent and gives those sorts of speeds even at peak times!
    Last edited by chicaneuk; 15th April 2016 at 09:00.

I've told VM I am still thinking about it. There is a 2 week trial period so this could be the toe in the water I am after.

Gave my notice on the 3rd. Just checked my account online to find only the standard 35%. A colleague at work told me to try the mobie Sky service app. So I've just installed it and the first thing to pop up was 50% off for 12 months, which does not show on the web. Worth a shot if you haven't got it installed!

Last edited by mijyou; 15th April 2016 at 14:07.

[QUOTE=mijyou;3937855]Gave my notice on the 3rd. Just checked my account online to find only the standard 35%. A colleague at work told me to try the mobie Sky service app. So I've just installed it and the first thing to pop up was 50% off for 12 months, which does not show on the web. Worth a shot if you haven't got it installed!

Thanks. I've just installed it and emailed in the cancellation today so let's see what they come back with.

I'm sick of the poor quality stuff they are showing
    No premiership rugby
    No champions league
    Crap films

I'd been meaning to do it for months but the final straw was last night with absolutely nothing to watch

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Gave my notice on the 3rd. Just checked my account online to find only the standard 35%. A colleague at work told me to try the mobie Sky service app. So I've just installed it and the first thing to pop up was 50% off for 12 months, which does not show on the web. Worth a shot if you haven't got it installed!

Thanks for that heads up. Just done the same and I have the very same tempting 50% offer. If you want it all then I think its a good offer and there is nowhere else I can get Full HD PGA/European Tour Golf.

But the fact that I'm still thinking of leaving speaks volumes about changing viewing habits. The kids are more often than not on Netflix or Youtube and I think I'd rather save the £40 per month subscription and put towards a new TV and pick up a NowTV box!

Lets see.....

Master
    Another thanks for the heads-up on the app 50% offer. I cancelled this morning, with a best offer of 35% discount. Installed the app, got the 50% offer, called them and it's sorted. New price is better than I could get from alternative suppliers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Another thanks for the heads-up on the app 50% offer. I cancelled this morning, with a best offer of 35% discount. Installed the app, got the 50% offer, called them and it's sorted. New price is better than I could get from alternative suppliers.
    50% off the total bill?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonedgar View Post
    50% off the total bill?
    I only have TV from Sky, but my bill (after the June hike) was going to be £70.50, which is 64.50 for Sports and Family and £6 for HD.

They discounted the 64.50 by 50%, but not the £6, so the new bill will be £38.25 per month.

Master
    Just log into Sky.com and it should be there too. Still room for negotiation. I asked for a new box and could've gone further but I was at work and was happy enough with the deal

[QUOTE=Pubdweller;3938002]
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post

Thanks. I've just installed it and emailed in the cancellation today so let's see what they come back with.

I'm sick of the poor quality stuff they are showing
    No premiership rugby
    No champions league
    Crap films

I'd been meaning to do it for months but the final straw was last night with absolutely nothing to watch
    I know, I had the same thing, absolutely nothing of interest to watch. Netflix and You Tube are better some nights.

I got a letter yesterday advising me of a £4.75 price increase. This at a time when I have said I am leaving and have already put the notice in some 2 weeks ago. They don't seem to connect up the dots very well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Just log into Sky.com and it should be there too. Still room for negotiation. I asked for a new box and could've gone further but I was at work and was happy enough with the deal
    The Sky service app definitely offers 50%. Interesting. Not getting that on Sky.com though, maybe there is some delay? Thing is, I am tempted to bin it all off and try VM.

I called Zen yesterday to whine about only getting 25mbs, 1st world problems and all that, despite paying for 76. Then I tried my mobile phone right next to the router and ran a speed test...61mbs. Distance from the route and wireless make a huge difference, then. I knew there was some loss of speed, but wow. Going a bit off topic, but here are the recent tests...the variation is where I took the reading. Thing is, it is enough to me me remain with Zen and if this helps anyone else too, great. That is, you might be getting more than you think as wireless is up and down. 200mbs from VM sounds amazing, but I just do not like the idea of changing everything wholesale. Sky at 50% and the expensive but ultra-reliable Zen seems OK to me.

Last edited by mjrennie; 17th April 2016 at 08:11.

Called sky this morning - got the standard speil about the home of HD etc. Stated I wanted to cancel for various reasons so they offered me 35% for 9 months,told them that wasn't good enough so I will proceed with cancellation.

Logged on to the sky services app 20mins later to find the 50% offer notice - called sky and extended the 50% to cover HD services for the 12 months ( so 50% off total bill rather than viewing subscriptions only ) and also got a replacement box, and can add movies for £5 a month at any time.

All in all quite happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the app heads up.

I got rid of sky years ago, I only miss a few channels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    This is exactly my fear now that I've cancelled Sky TV. I had no issue with them service wise for 99% of the time other than cost. So whilst I check out all the new customer deals from BT and Virgin etc I'm worried that another provider will not be up to scratch and I'll end up in a worse position and wishing was spending more money on Sky!

I suspect my best option will be to drop out of subscription services for a few months at least and then target a Sky Q offer in the Autumn say when the Premier League starts again!

In the meantime I'll get a NOW TV Box so I can watch the remaining Golf Majors and Ryder Cup.

I might get lucky thinking about it when renewal time arrives.
    The deal I got was advertised on Martins money site as a bulk buy, so this should also be available at renewal.
    My gas & elec deal I am on was on the site in previous years.

Master
    I got 60% off for a year but just got an email saying it is going up £2 a month from May, in my opinion there is a lot of crap on Sky and I think the choice on Netflix is far superior and the menu and navigation system in Sky is awful, I want to get rid of Sky completely but the two shows we both love are walking dead and our favourite game of thrones so what to do, I really need to be able to record from TV so I suppose I need to get a free view or free time box but I have no idea which one to get I also feel that Sky will continue to up their prices and rip people off.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I got 60% off for a year but just got an email saying it is going up £2 a month from May, in my opinion there is a lot of crap on Sky and I think the choice on Netflix is far superior and the menu and navigation system in Sky is awful, I want to get rid of Sky completely but the two shows we both love are walking dead and our favourite game of thrones so what to do, I really need to be able to record from TV so I suppose I need to get a free view or free time box but I have no idea which one to get I also feel that Sky will continue to up their prices and rip people off.
    That's the quandary I'm in. Just found the 50% off for 12 months App deal but still thinking about leaving. Also a big Walking Dead fan but can't you just buy the series on say ITunes for £28 and presume it's the same with Game of Thrones?

£140 for an Apple TV and then lots of premium Pay as You Go options?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    That's the quandary I'm in. Just found the 50% off for 12 months App deal but still thinking about leaving. Also a big Walking Dead fan but can't you just buy the series on say ITunes for £28 and presume it's the same with Game of Thrones?

£140 for an Apple TV and then lots of premium Pay as You Go options?
    I will look into that as I know I have a cheaper deal with Sky yet even though the deal was agreed they are still going to put mine up £2 a month I just think they are rip off merchants as for the walking dead and game of thrones I will look into that as I can't buy them on DVD as I don't have a DVD player I wonder whether you can get catch up tv when you cancel Sky can you just get it with the normal free view channels that I can get on my smart tv!

Master
    Walking Dead & Game of Thrones

Your alternatives are Bit Torrent, Amazon Fire Stick, Android box or Now TV Entertainment Pass (which Argos are selling a 6 months pass for £29.99).

Just to let you know guys, I have full package and multi room for £35 a month. Stick at it.

How did you sort it in the end ?

Master
    I cancelled today and best offer was 35% off for 9 months,I declined.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Just to let you know guys, I have full package and multi room for £35 a month. Stick at it.
    I know you can get a deal but even with a deal agreed they have put mine up twice and I can't be bothered with all the hassle haggling every few months as in general I think the offerings on Sky are crap and I will cancel and get rid after this season of game of thrones is shown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Walking Dead & Game of Thrones

Your alternatives are Bit Torrent, Amazon Fire Stick, Android box or Now TV Entertainment Pass (which Argos are selling a 6 months pass for £29.99).
    Now TV doesn't come in 1080 HD does it I think it's only 720 isn't it?

Craftsman
    I'm no expert but as I understand it, the current (black) Now TV box has full HD capability which it can use for BBC iPlayer etc but Sky limit its own content to 720p when accessed via Now TV.

Master
    I'm no expert but as I understand it, the current (black) Now TV box has full HD capability which it can use for BBC iPlayer etc but Sky limit its own content to 720p when accessed via Now TV.
    Ahh ok thanks for that so even if I got now tv the quality wouldn't be great, typical!

Master
    Plusnet for me, very pleased, service has been super for 4 years or more.
    If you get recommended by a Plusnet user you get £2.50 a month off for life and so does he.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Plusnet for me, very pleased, service has been super for 4 years or more.
    If you get recommended by a Plusnet user you get £2.50 a month off for life and so does he.
    This thread is primarily about the tv service. Not broadband.

Master
    The Sky service app definitely offers 50%. Interesting. Not getting that on Sky.com though, maybe there is some delay? Thing is, I am tempted to bin it all off and try VM.

I called Zen yesterday to whine about only getting 25mbs, 1st world problems and all that, despite paying for 76. Then I tried my mobile phone right next to the router and ran a speed test...61mbs. Distance from the route and wireless make a huge difference, then. I knew there was some loss of speed, but wow. Going a bit off topic, but here are the recent tests...the variation is where I took the reading. Thing is, it is enough to me me remain with Zen and if this helps anyone else too, great. That is, you might be getting more than you think as wireless is up and down. 200mbs from VM sounds amazing, but I just do not like the idea of changing everything wholesale. Sky at 50% and the expensive but ultra-reliable Zen seems OK to me.

I'm always amazed by customers phoning up saying they want the faster this and that but then use crappy wifi for the last connection. In the same room facing the router it's bad enough but then go into another room...! If you want the fastest connection then don't use wifi. Oh and btw, the wifi from a phone is just about as bad as it gets.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Ahh ok thanks for that so even if I got now tv the quality wouldn't be great, typical!
    Also be aware that now tv is also limited to 2.0 audio, no five channel Dolby digital surround sound on there streams...

Craftsman
    Just got my letter from Sky saying they are putting my subscription up by £4.75 a month. Nice to see their departments communicating with each other. On the same day I received we're sorry to see you go questionnaire! 🙈

They have started phoning me to offer deals. Letting them stew for a few days yet