closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancelled My Sky TV

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The thing holding me back is losing all the stuff I have recorded on my Sky+Box. If I just disconnect it from the internet can I still keep the programmes?
    No. It will be done via satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I will be aiming to cancel properly this year. I'm currently on a 60% off deal and got £50 credit.

However was reading about the increases coming yesterday and also a new low on sky sports last night. FIFA interactive World Cup. A 2hr 'show' of Fifa games on consoles with commentary. Sky sports is worthless these days and that just summed it up fully for me.

Have to talk the wife round but the programming on sky is just appalling these days.
    The missus actually works for sky sports and she (like all employees) gets everything for free. Unfortunately for me she had it installed at her parents so I currently pay approx £100 for the full package

Like you I've reached the end of my tether. There is absolutely nothing worth watching

no premiership rugby
    no champions league
    Any decent boxing is now PPV

she was telling me morale is pretty low as they are cost cutting everywhere because of how much they paid for Premiership rights. They are also introducing a new Sky sports channel for people who don't actually have sport, this will show occasional premiership games and other events with the idea of cross selling to those who don't currently have sport.

This from a channel that is paying Thierry Henry £2m a year!

I'm oot !

Craftsman
    Rang Thursday and cancelled my package , paying £80 a month and the best deal they could offer was 35% off for 9 months !

Master
    Just be prepared to wait.
    The deals will come.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveh View Post
    Rang Thursday and cancelled my package , paying £80 a month and the best deal they could offer was 35% off for 9 months !
    Go on their website and its 12 months!!

I talked to a Sky seller in a shopping centre while getting my watch adjusted. One of those booths you avoid like the plague. But as id cancelled I was interested. She said let it cancel and be without service for 48 hours and then ring back. It's apparently an automatic 50% off. TV only though. Phone and broadband isn't included

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Neither is the HD. I finally settled on a 35% overall discount on my £94 pm (HD TV, phone and broadband) and then got 50% off multiroom as I have one kid back from uni this summer and a second back in two years. I would of got more no doubt had I actually let the cancellation go through but Mrs R wasn't up for that. After having changed my bank account to Santander 123 I'm actually £100+ better off per month overall. Now for the utilities!
    You've given in way too early. 35% is the standard. Then 50% then 60%

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Go on their website and its 12 months!!

I talked to a Sky seller in a shopping centre while getting my watch adjusted. One of those booths you avoid like the plague. But as id cancelled I was interested. She said let it cancel and be without service for 48 hours and then ring back. It's apparently an automatic 50% off. TV only though. Phone and broadband isn't included

Neither is the HD. I finally settled on a 35% overall discount on my £94 pm (HD TV, phone and broadband) and then got 50% off multiroom as I have one kid back from uni this summer and a second back in two years. I would of got more no doubt had I actually let the cancellation go through but Mrs R wasn't up for that. After having changed my bank account to Santander 123 I'm actually £100+ better off per month overall. Now for the utilities!

Master
    I called sky for the very same reason and was given 65% off to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    They'll be back
    I have the full package for £25 a month that's sports and movies too
    My landline etc is with EE

Just stick it out - even let them cut it off
    You'll have a letter in about two weeks
    Alright mate! I am going with your strategy. £76 a month I pay and it is absurd. They hate my beloved Manchester City so I told them I was out and they can shove the Soccer Saturday City hate-in where the Sun doesn't shine...they said they'd call me back after the weekend to discuss options and I said I'd be prepared to listen. Crazy. I'm prepared to can them for 70 odd notes though as the offering is generally rubbish these days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    You've given in way too early. 35% is the standard. Then 50% then 60%
    No doubt but the discounts offered are usually only for the TV package and that doesn't include the HD pack. It's worth reading the small print on any offers they propose.

No doubt but the discounts offered are usually only for the TV package and that doesn't include the HD pack. It's worth reading the small print on any offers they propose.
    This is a good point. I cancelled three weeks ago (took half an hour on online chat) and received a letter today offering me 50% off my bundle for 12 months plus a £50 credit. I've had the top package with them for nearly 20 years and have several additional boxes, all HD. The offer only includes the bundle (which is going up in June), not the HD or multi screens so for me it amounted to a 27% overall discount. Took 45 mins on the chat to get to that point though.

Has anyone, recently, secured 60% off their entire monthly bill and had a credit applied?

Master
    I've managed something close to that. I am currently on 50% off the TV package (excluding HD which is still at full price) + £50 credit, free 'phone line rental for 12 months and half price fibre for 12 months.

Master
    I'm currently on a great deal which was every single channel (movies, sports, box sets, etc) for £25/month for 12 months. Apparently when the 12 month deal ends it will go up to £75/month which obviously I'll never keep.

The one bain for me is that I hardly ever watch the movies or the sport but I do like the F1 - and if I could just get Sky Sports F1 by itself I'd be quite happy. Do Sky do kind of arrangement where you can get just the F1 or do they force you to take the whole bundle?

It's also worth sticking it out. Discounts are regularly available across the range.

I pay £28.01 per month for everything except movies (tv package not phone or broadband). 60% off the package and half price hd subscription which is then also discounted by an extra 35%. My monthly goes up to £30.10 from 1st June due to increases. I also got £50 credit as well as the discounts.

This expires in October. At that time I will try and convince the wife again to give it up. Failing that I'll have to negotiate something but won't accept anything less than 50%.

Currently on a live chat with Sky Cancellations. Quite fun really.

Lets see what the chap can offer me but very useful to be armed with the findings of this thread!

Watch this space.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Currently on a live chat with Sky Cancellations. Quite fun really.

Lets see what the chap can offer me but very useful to be armed with the findings of this thread!

Watch this space.
    I did that last week, got 40 percent off for 9 months, and one month free.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Just offered me 35% off for 9 months. Mmm. Not sure.

I've resisted and confirmed that I would like to go ahead with cancellation. Its just like the Brexit...........but with more certainty.

I have to admit I buckled and accepted that deal, taking me to £32 / month
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I very nearly buckled and will be glued to my Sky Account on line awaiting the 50% discount. In a way its quite cathartic cutting the apron strings and delving back into terrestial.

Also my eldest has just discovered the Matrix and wanted to watch Reloaded last night. It was £3 to download on Sky so I dug out an old DVD, fired up the dust covered PS3 and away we went.

It took 10 mins to sort out and we had no batteries for the remote but was it really a hardship.....no not really.

Freesat here we come.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    Has anyone, recently, secured 60% off their entire monthly bill and had a credit applied?
    Not sure if recent enough for you but I did on 17th March. Settled on flat 60% off across the package for a year, £100 credit applied now and a rolling monthly contract - they had already written to me with an offer of 50%, £50 credit and a 12 month contract so that was a start point. Negotiation was done on Sky chat.

Master

They're offering that everyone. There was an advert on ITV in the middle of coronation street for it. In fact that was 12 months.

I honestly can't believe people are accepting/considering 35% especially considering the info in this thread!

Craftsman
    canceling on live chat now and was offered this for being a customer for 14 years

I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving Sky. Before you make your final decision I would love to take this opportunity to offer you a fantastic discount, available to you from Sky as an existing customer I would like to take 35% off your TV package for the next 9 months. This would take your bill down from £71.50 to £50.67. What's your thought's?

still cancelling though

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    canceling on live chat now and was offered this for being a customer for 14 years

I am very sorry to hear that you are leaving Sky. Before you make your final decision I would love to take this opportunity to offer you a fantastic discount, available to you from Sky as an existing customer I would like to take 35% off your TV package for the next 9 months. This would take your bill down from £71.50 to £50.67. What's your thought's?

still cancelling though
    Good man. If it wasn't for this thread 35% would have sounded quite good to me as it matches many new customer deals. But even with the discount it was still over £1,000 a year for the full HD package including broadband and phone so yes I think they can do better.

Craftsman
    just been offered 35% discount for 12 months on my sky homepage

Master
    just been offered 35% discount for 12 months on my sky homepage
    That's not a personal offer. It's a blanket offer. Absolutely anyoNe with Sky can get it, you're just tied in to a mediocre offer for 12 more months

Craftsman
    That's not a personal offer. It's a blanket offer. Absolutely anyoNe with Sky can get it, you're just tied in to a mediocre offer for 12 more months
    So what shall I hold out for?

Master
    I'd say 50% like I'm doing. Although I'm not fussed if I don't hear anything back as we just don't watch much tv anymore - it's all available online and freeview for me. The Sky lady told me that if you cancel and leave it off for 48 hours you can reconnect and its 50% discount as standard.

You may think you're smart, but the bigger the discount you get, the more you've been overpaying.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You may think you're smart, but the bigger the discount you get, the more you've been overpaying.
    So it's smarter to accept the first offer? That's a daft statement really.

I accept a lot of us have been paying too much but understanding your market better and holding out for the best deal possible is smart, period.

It may be smarter to cancel and be done with it but to some people just like the Sky offer which generally high quality.

Just cancelled on principal having received an email upping it by £4 a month. I already thought it too expensive, and now it is 100% cheaper

Craftsman
    Had a letter today that mine is going up by £1.50 per month but I did haggle last year and got the basic package for £6 per month.

Master
    Stopped using Sky 17 years ago and just use Freesat ( with the odd delve into Kodi for anything important. Plenty channels even for the wife on Freesat.

Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    Not sure if recent enough for you but I did on 17th March. Settled on flat 60% off across the package for a year, £100 credit applied now and a rolling monthly contract - they had already written to me with an offer of 50%, £50 credit and a 12 month contract so that was a start point. Negotiation was done on Sky chat.
    Thank you - just to confirm, did you get 60% off your entire monthly bill (including extra boxes and/or HD)? I mentioned that "a friend" had been offered what you have on the live chat but they declined to do any better than 50% off the bundle (excluding extra boxes and HD) which meant about 27% off my monthly bill. The agent even had the cheek to say that the 50% offer had expired last week (despite me receiving the letter from them that day!) and that she could "do me a favour" by authorising it :-).

A really grubby company who don't seem to appreciate how far being open with customers would take them. I suspect they're really in a hole now - content is rubbish now, the model of broadcast TV is outdated, they are stuck with massive football rights costs over the next few years and customers are leaving in droves. I wouldn't want to be managing that business at the moment. They have had gravy for a very long time though.

Thank you - just to confirm, did you get 60% off your entire monthly bill (including extra boxes and/or HD)? I mentioned that "a friend" had been offered what you have on the live chat but they declined to do any better than 50% off the bundle (excluding extra boxes and HD) which meant about 27% off my monthly bill. The agent even had the cheek to say that the 50% offer had expired last week (despite me receiving the letter from them that day!) and that she could "do me a favour" by authorising it :-).

A really grubby company who don't seem to appreciate how far being open with customers would take them. I suspect they're really in a hole now - content is rubbish now, the model of broadcast TV is outdated, they are stuck with massive football rights costs over the next few years and customers are leaving in droves. I wouldn't want to be managing that business at the moment. They have had gravy for a very long time though.
    I know your post was aimed at someone else but I got 60% off TV £50 cashback, 50% off HD and a further 35% off the discounted HD (not sure why but they did)

Craftsman

They gave me 60% across the bill. I have HD but only one box - no multiroom etc. There was never any talk from Sky on the chat about different discounts to elements - the discussion was only regarding a flat discount.

Once that was agreed, I pushed for the £100 credit and insisted I would not take another 12 month contract - thereby leaving me the option to renegotiate if/when a new 'amazing deal' appears - as they tend to vary during the year and be limited in time.

I totally agree with the sentiment about Sky's approach. Their pricing should be much more transparent and 'honest'. Some of us are comfortable with negotiating but I know others who just don't like it, don't have the time/inclination or are concerned their service will be affected. As a reward they get to pay perhaps twice as much as they could/should - so much for being a good, reliable customer - the sort that the business was built and relies on. I hear that Sky are suffering and the business is not what it was. They previously did a good job convincing many people that paying up to £100 a month watch the tele was normal but I hear many now reconsidering this.

^ thank you both, that will make it interesting when they send my next offer.

I got the 50% off plus the £100 credit applied to the account. They wouldn't discount the HD but I managed to get a brand new 2TB box as my other needed switching off to reset every few days.

Current monthly charge is £35 for everything less phone and broadband, and just th one box.

Master
    Seeing some of these prices you guys are quoting, makes me darn glad i'm not slave to my television (just a phrase, not a dig at anyone :p). That's a 2nd hand speedmaster a year :o

Then again, I am cheap, don't even cough up the money for broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    I got a call from the 'Win Back' team at the weekend. They offered me the same package as i had before cancelling (Standard HD+ bundle with no Sports or Movies) for £15 per month with a £50 credit into my account. Thing is, i've not missed it. I already have Netflix so i'm catching up on progs i missed because i was watching Sky!
    They must be getting desperate! i Got a call from them last Saturday offering me £13 a month with £75 credit to my account. I said no. Got a call on Sunday offering me it for £10 a month and £100 credit to my account. I said no. Got a call on MONDAY offering me the same and i explained to the guy that the answer is the same and that calling me everyday will just succeed in pissing me off. I got a letter on Tuesday offering me a deal which was not quite as good. I laughed. Seriously, with Netflix and BT Vision i'm not missing it at all.

Craftsman
    nothing sent to me yet or even a phone call

nothing sent to me yet or even a phone call
    When did you cancel?

Craftsman
    Just cancelled my Sky subscription. Took 14 mins on the phone but its done. They did try to off a 35% discount but I held firm and will hold out for at least 50% if not more.

To be honest it wont be a disaster if I don't get a better offer before its closed.

Master
    I've had an email with my disconnection date. No decent offers though... The emails mention to call them if I change my mind. Are they trying to call my bluff?!

I was on £8.50 (standard package) with 3 months free, for the last 9 months. They even offered £6 per month but I still asked for account to be terminated. Took 40 minutes on the phone to finally get rid of it.

I've had an email with my disconnection date. No decent offers though... The emails mention to call them if I change my mind. Are they trying to call my bluff?!
    That's what I got as well. Have thought about making that call out of curiosity but interestingly not because I really want the deal. Looking forward to buying an jailbroken Apple TV and then seeing what that leads me.

Anyone know if you can mirror Sky Go to a TV from your phone? I don't have BT Sport but was able to use a mates BT account to watch City last night and Chromecast it to the TV. It was HD with no interruptions and apart from very minor occasional judder, was great. BT will probably suss this and go all Apple on us and prevent casting next season...but does Sky Go do the same and allow casting? I'll try it later, but worth a thought. Utter cheapskating, but a thought nonetheless. Used a Samsung Galaxy, obviously, 'cos Apples are monstrous. Lol.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    Anyone know if you can mirror Sky Go to a TV from your phone? I don't have BT Sport but was able to use a mates BT account to watch City last night and Chromecast it to the TV. It was HD with no interruptions and apart from very minor occasional judder, was great. BT will probably suss this and go all Apple on us and prevent casting next season...but does Sky Go do the same and allow casting? I'll try it later, but worth a thought. Utter cheapskating, but a thought nonetheless. Used a Samsung Galaxy, obviously, 'cos Apples are monstrous. Lol.
    I'm pretty sure I read that Sky Go prevented any sort of output to a TV, whether by cable or casting. It's definitely the case with iOS, and I'm sure the same article highlighted that the small number of supported Android devices was because they were the only devices Sky could disable the outputs on.

EDIT: After a quick check it looks like Sky Go will now run on any Android device running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 or above. I guess ICS 4.0 allows Sky to disable the output, but I don't have an Android device so can't check. And from their help and support page:

Sky Go doesn't permit the use of rooted or jail broken devices. Second screen display is also not permitted, for example through the use of Air Play, Miracast, HDMI/TV-Out and Chromecast.
    Last edited by StackH; 7th April 2016 at 11:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read that Sky Go prevented any sort of output to a TV, whether by cable or casting. It's definitely the case with iOS, and I'm sure the same article highlighted that the small number of supported Android devices was because they were the only devices Sky could disable the outputs on.

EDIT: After a quick check it looks like Sky Go will now run on any Android device running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 or above. I guess ICS 4.0 allows Sky to disable the output, but I don't have an Android device so can't check. And from their help and support page:

Sky Go doesn't permit the use of rooted or jail broken devices. Second screen display is also not permitted, for example through the use of Air Play, Miracast, HDMI/TV-Out and Chromecast.

They stopped HDMI out a long time ago. If you have a MacBook and use sky go on your browser you could mirror that