Thread: Cancelled My Sky TV

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Get an Amazon fire stick with Kodi on it
    Lots for sake on gum tree etc
    Cost you next to nothing and as said, loads of stuff streamed
    I've had s few movies already that I'd have had to pay for at cinema etc
    Illegal? I know a few coppers who have them
    Doesn't make it legal though....

I have a fire stick with kodi but since moving to a rural location and having pretty crap BB speeds, it just doesn't work anymore. I gather you need a fair speed for it to stream properly. On the other hand, my normal streaming (Amazon, Netflix, Youtube etc) is fine

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by D_redd View Post
    This Kodi thing is news to me, but I'll have a butchers. I have never had Sky. A lot of friends have had packages and I found they'd generally sit there trying to pick the best of the worst channel to watch. Like someone has said, more channels = more junk. I recently binned off my TV license to see how I cope with just Netflix and catchup TV. My son is nearly always on Netflix and I rarely sit and watch TV if he's not there. My phone line / broadband is via EE and I prepay my line rental annually to reduce the cost of that too.
    Hi Mate

Might be worth checking that you still don't need a TV licence,

I have another property and when went to cancel they asked if I had internet at that property and because I did I still had to have the famous Tv licence because I could still broadcast TV via the Internet,

Cheers

Just double check you still don't need TV

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JamJam View Post
    Hi Mate

Might be worth checking that you still don't need a TV licence,

I have another property and when went to cancel they asked if I had internet at that property and because I did I still had to have the famous Tv licence because I could still broadcast TV via the Internet,

Cheers

Just double check you still don't need TV
    I believe that is the case. You need a TV license even if you watch BBC iplayer on a laptop. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...home_puc_check

No you need it if you watch it *live* on the iplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Really need to persuade my elderly parent to allow me to threaten to cancel but he's totally wedded to watching sports it's hard to persuade him he wouldn't miss a day. Hopefully.
    Its crazy that you have to go through the cancelling charade to get their best prices when he's paid full whack for ten plus years. Ho hum.
    Just ring up and pretend to be your dad
    That's what I do lol
    Security is easy

- - - Updated - - -

Really need to persuade my elderly parent to allow me to threaten to cancel but he's totally wedded to watching sports it's hard to persuade him he wouldn't miss a day. Hopefully.
    Its crazy that you have to go through the cancelling charade to get their best prices when he's paid full whack for ten plus years. Ho hum.
    That's what I do lol
    Security is easy

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I do lol
    Security is easy

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    No you need it if you watch it *live* on the iplayer.
    Looks like that might be about to change in the foreseeable future.

Ministers are to rush through laws to stop viewers avoiding paying for the BBC by only watching catch-up programming, the Culture Secretary has said.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/...ttingdale.html

Craftsman
    Ok so I have told SKY to cancel my subscription. I have the full package with phone and broadband and pay £94.50 pm.

I asked them to throw in multiroom and refund me the BT Sport difference and but they couldn't so off I went to the cancellation dept who said the only deals they had were 10% off the TV package and a discount on the Broadband and Phone. It was saving me about £20 per month but I still felt it was all too much still.
    So I'm now waiting for a call from the "win back team". I hope it's soon because the BB and phone will go off in two weeks and Mrs R will be very unhappy if she can't get on t'internet!

Journeyman
    Funnily enough, I was toying with the idea for some time. My contract is up, been with them for years. This morning I received a letter with a 20% off deal for 10 months. I have committed to another twelve months. Perhaps you could quote this to them, next time you speak?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsal View Post
    Funnily enough, I was toying with the idea for some time. My contract is up, been with them for years. This morning I received a letter with a 20% off deal for 10 months. I have committed to another twelve months. Perhaps you could quote this to them, next time you speak?
    I've had the same, even though I only took a new deal a few mo the back. Maybe they are losing market share and keen to tie people in.

I cancelled last year and ignored all offers until I realised they weren't getting any better - got 12 months of Family Pack, Movies, Sports (Sky only, no BT) all in HD for £30.30 pcm with £100 credit on my account so I don't pay anything until that is depleted.
    They wouldn't discount Multi Screen as they now call it, so I've also kept Now TV Entertainment / Movies running for upstairs, the trick with Now TV is to cancel online and accept the lower offer you get after confirming the first cancellation screen.
    Johnny.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsal View Post
    The cancellation guy told me that he had offered the best deal. It probably did equate to 20% off my current package but I thought that as I was this far down the line I would call their bluff for a bit. He also said that had I called 3 weeks earlier he could of offered me a far better deal but those deals a now expired.
    It's all a game, and to be honest I'll wait until the death and probably take the best deal on offer.

Grand Master
    My Sky deal is up for renewal at the moment. Does anyone have a phone number to contact them on? Obviously they want to communicate via the website but I want to negotiate, and that'll involve a conversation.

Paul

I've just cancelled - currently paying £87 per month for full HD and two boxes.

I logged back in to Mysky and an immediate 35% off offer to rejoin!

I think I'll wait a while and se what else pops up.........

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    My Sky deal is up for renewal at the moment. Does anyone have a phone number to contact them on? Obviously they want to communicate via the website but I want to negotiate, and that'll involve a conversation.

Paul
    In order to get the best deal you need to go through the cancellation process - I think the easiest way is to go through live chat.

Master
    After watching this thread and with worsening problems with my hd box I also cancelled earlier.

FWIW I pay

£62 for tv - hd, family, sports
    £53 for unlimited fibre, line, UK & international calls

Hoping to save a packet and get a new box

Ian

Master
    Never put all your eggs in one basket.

If you end up with a package for phone, broadband, TV etc they know you're less likely to jump ship as its a load of hassle, so they offer you nothing. I have my Sky for £9 a month, basic package because I told them I'd cancel otherwise.

Negotiate with each separate provider every 12 months and be prepared to leave if needs be.

I got a call from the 'Win Back' team at the weekend. They offered me the same package as i had before cancelling (Standard HD+ bundle with no Sports or Movies) for £15 per month with a £50 credit into my account. Thing is, i've not missed it. I already have Netflix so i'm catching up on progs i missed because i was watching Sky!

Craftsman

Cancelled

Just cancelled, my sky family and sports.

I will miss the football, but most of it is now on BTsport anyway, which I will still have.

I couldn't justify in excess of £65 for a service which next year will have 10% of the football it had 3 years ago.

I think its quite scandalous that the price hasn't dropped, which I told the guy (politely of course).

Whats the current feeling here, are people still getting good offers to "come back" I would rather have it, than not, but not at the price point offered.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    Just cancelled, my sky family and sports.

I will miss the football, but most of it is now on BTsport anyway, which I will still have.

I couldn't justify in excess of £65 for a service which next year will have 10% of the football it had 3 years ago.

I think its quite scandalous that the price hasn't dropped, which I told the guy (politely of course).

Whats the current feeling here, are people still getting good offers to "come back" I would rather have it, than not, but not at the price point offered.

Cheers
    Just buy a fire stick and upload Kodi
    Plenty of tutorials on you tube
    I sat and watched West Ham mAn Utd with no subscriptions

Also Spurs villa was on etc

Can't recommend it enough

Master
    We managed to get cancelled this week.

Just hoping they get back in touch, Virgin have some reasonable deals and we will do it via top cash back which will offset a few months.

We're paying £65 and get no movies or sports. The movies are crap anyway.

Did anyone receive phone calls or was it just a letter. It's like a game of chicken! Who will break first?!

I didn't cancel to get a better deal, but would go back if they offered us a whopper

Craftsman
    Quick update. Ignore I log onto my account there issue now a 35% offer on there.

It's more than I was offered at the time of cancelling but still not quite enough..

How are you guys getting on??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post

How are you guys getting on??
    I forgot all about calling them until a few days ago. They've flat out refused to honour the deal they offered a month or so before. Wondering if I should cancel...

Craftsman
    I let the cancellation happen and now rely on freesat and Netflix.

Don't miss Sky at all. If the wife could get by without Friends etc I would be happy to just use Netflix and Youtube for televisual entertainment - I hate adverts with a vengeance.

Master
    I cancelled in January and can't say that we miss it, relying on Freeview and Freesat.

Have had many calls from Sky trying to get us to come back but am not at all tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    We managed to get cancelled this week.

Just hoping they get back in touch, Virgin have some reasonable deals and we will do it via top cash back which will offset a few months.

We're paying £65 and get no movies or sports. The movies are crap anyway.

Did anyone receive phone calls or was it just a letter. It's like a game of chicken! Who will break first?!

I didn't cancel to get a better deal, but would go back if they offered us a whopper
    You'll get a letter
    Fifty per cent

Craftsman
    Is there any downside to cancelling? I'm currently without contract. If I cancel and then reinstate before the notice period, they can't commit me to a contract, can they?

Craftsman
    I cancelled 10 days ago but not heard from them since.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I cancelled 10 days ago but not heard from them since.
    If you want it back on - ring them.... Mind went like this....,

Hi... I was hoping you could help
    I was in a meeting at work today when my phone rang, some guy reckons he was from sky asking me if I wanted to come back for half price?????
    Was it you guys or is it some sort of scam?

Voila.... "It will have been one of our guys sir"
    60 per cent given off total package

Try it
    Funny if nothing else

Craftsman
    I plan to wait it out but when the time comes I might give that a go, as you say funny if it works.

Craftsman
    I've just finished my poker game with sky.

Early March with two months to run on contract - asked them for better deal - best they can do is 10% so cancelled
    Had a couple of "sorry to lose you" emails - just ignored them
    Few days later I log into my sky account to see they are offering 35% discount - I didn't bite
    Last week I receive a letter saying you can have 50% discount and £50 credit - tempted so I went on the sky chat at the weekend. Was very busy but just left it open whilst I was working and jumped in when it went green.
    Didn't mention letter but asked what the very best they could do - bit of to & fro (speak to supervisor etc) but we settled at blanket 60% discount for 12 months plus £100 credit (both applied now) and no ongoing contract term once my current contract ends in May.

No loss of viewing/services throughout all this. Not a bad outcome - particularly as I'm now not tied in for the next twelve months - but I once achieved 75% discount two weeks after I let the cancellation run to the end.

I don't enjoy this at all - sky should just be fairer and more transparent with their pricing.

Journeyman
    I've just been on with Sky "win back" department after cancelling 26 days ago (31 notice period). Got offered half price tv, free basic broadband and £50 credit - taking price down to £75. When I asked about £100 credit offered to others she said that offer finished at Xmas. Why can't they just be straight rather than making the customer jump through hoops?!?

My current 50% off for 12 months has come to an end. I've been in contact with them today to cancel, and was offered 35% off for 9 months. I've declined that and set the cancellation wheels in motion.

Logged back in to my online Sky account and they're already offering 35% off for 12 months.

The wait begins.

Gary

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth1 View Post
    I've just been on with Sky "win back" department after cancelling 26 days ago (31 notice period). Got offered half price tv, free basic broadband and £50 credit - taking price down to £75. When I asked about £100 credit offered to others she said that offer finished at Xmas. Why can't they just be straight rather than making the customer jump through hoops?!?
    This is the type of BS that I don't like about dealing with Sky. Maybe their agents are badly informed/trained - so its luck of the draw when you get in touch or maybe they just tell fibs.

I definitely got the £100 credit less than a week ago - as have others recently:-

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-...age=3#comments

and I don't spend lots with them - as only my TV is with Sky.

I received a letter fro Sky yesterday informing me of a £5 increase. Time to cancel me thinks, as well out of contract shouldn't be an issue.

Fish

Having cancelled on 12 March I have just renewed via Live Chat.

We have everything and 2 boxes (so multiroom) that was costing £87 per month.

The deal I have agreed is:

50% off for 12 months
    Half price multiroom for 6 months
    £100 credit

This works out at £41 per month and an annual saving of £553!

A good result all round and only took 10 minutes or so.......

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I received a letter fro Sky yesterday informing me of a £5 increase. Time to cancel me thinks, as well out of contract shouldn't be an issue.

Fish
    In a way I hope I get this letter. I then have a very good reason to cancel. I can then put the money towards a new Now TV box and then just pay for the big matches and when the US Masters and Open Championship is on.

Craftsman
    Just did the same.
    On line chat
    50% and £100 credit. the 50% doesnt cover the HD pack.

Saved around £450 over the year

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    In a way I hope I get this letter. I then have a very good reason to cancel. I can then put the money towards a new Now TV box and then just pay for the big matches and when the US Masters and Open Championship is on.
    I was considering something similar and then Plex options came to my attention.

I am currently have a Now Plex box on trial and its going really well. All you need is a decent broadband speed.

Similar item to mine is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281957811277

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    My current 50% off for 12 months has come to an end. I've been in contact with them today to cancel, and was offered 35% off for 9 months. I've declined that and set the cancellation wheels in motion.

Logged back in to my online Sky account and they're already offering 35% off for 12 months.

The wait begins.

Gary
    I have cancelled for the last three years and will be my fourth cancellation at the end of April.(Always make a note of date)

I have always got 50% off plus a little credit and one year i even got a new box.

The best bit is they have never tied me in to a 12 month renewal contract.

Just be patient and wait.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    This is the type of BS that I don't like about dealing with Sky. Maybe their agents are badly informed/trained - so its luck of the draw when you get in touch or maybe they just tell fibs.

I definitely got the £100 credit less than a week ago - as have others recently:-

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-...age=3#comments

and I don't spend lots with them - as only my TV is with Sky.
    Haha. They even said they couldn't do anything about the single box £12 multi room as it's an add-on. Where's this live chat? Maybe someone else may be a bit better informed.

I will be aiming to cancel properly this year. I'm currently on a 60% off deal and got £50 credit.

However was reading about the increases coming yesterday and also a new low on sky sports last night. FIFA interactive World Cup. A 2hr 'show' of Fifa games on consoles with commentary. Sky sports is worthless these days and that just summed it up fully for me.

Have to talk the wife round but the programming on sky is just appalling these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I'm on Plusnet for Internet and phone ( a BT company I believe ) and they have been very good ... Get NowTV for movies, never be as good as full on Sky movies but not bad..
    Do Plusnet do fibre internet yet?

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Do Plusnet do fibre internet yet?
    Yes they do. They have 2 packages depending on what download speeds you want.

Craftsman

result

Result - called to cancel and they halved the price!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    I was considering something similar and then Plex options came to my attention.

I am currently have a Now Plex box on trial and its going really well. All you need is a decent broadband speed.

Similar item to mine is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281957811277
    Hi Donny - How does this work?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Hi Donny - How does this work?
    At first it seems like witchcraft but it's actually more like >>>>
    you buy the Now TV box with the Plex app installed and set up. You put it onto your broadband - wireless or cable. It then connects to the provider's server via the app so you can gain access to the content. You navigate to what you want to watch using the Now remote. It feels a bit like using Kodi on a Firestick but I've found this much more reliable. Sorry for the basic description but I'm a bit of a luddite with this kind of tech. I just like it to work with minimal faffing.

That means you are logging into someone's plex account and streaming from their server.. They must have one hell of a lot of bandwidth to support that....

As it is streaming channels they cannot legally offer - they could just disappear at anytime....

Craftsman
    This makes very interesting reading, thinking about ditching Sky altogether and just getting freesat and a Amazon Fire stick now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alboy View Post
    This makes very interesting reading, thinking about ditching Sky altogether and just getting freesat and a Amazon Fire stick now.
    I was iffy about this whole thing, tried the stick and amazingly it all works. Went for the box as it has even more stuff. The stick is loaded with Kodi, so away you go. Has a remote and and cable, ect. Boxed too.
    Last edited by mjrennie; 25th March 2016 at 10:13.

The thing holding me back is losing all the stuff I have recorded on my Sky+Box. If I just disconnect it from the internet can I still keep the programmes?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57