closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancelled My Sky TV

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    If you can in your area, get Virgin optic broadband. It's as fast a f**k. Then pick up an Android TV box or an Amazon firestick and you should be good to go. I know I am.
    Kippax lives in a tree in a field.

Well actually he lives near Rawtenstall, pretty much the same thing!

His sky is 56k dial up!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Pretty much everything, all the packages, 4 hd boxes and broadband. Still feels like a lot though
    4 HD boxes and £144!! Jesus wept!!

My sky has had a new lease of life since moving due to my Harmony ultimate. Didn't realise you could change the channel in a different room so all my TV's with Sky cabled to it (so just the picture, not an extra box) I can change the channel and use it as though I'm sat in the living room. Very very happy with this.

Update...

Well I have been on live chat and basically said that I have had a letter through my door saying that they will offer 60% off and cash back of £50 (was really just 50% off). Anyhow they corrected me with it is 50% off and £50 cash back, that is the only offer that they are doing.

I told them I would only be interested in 60% off deal and they said they can't, so I told them I will continue with my cancelation.

I am going to stick with it and fight for more, if I don't get it well they can do one :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Update...

Well I have been on live chat and basically said that I have had a letter through my door saying that they will offer 60% off and cash back of £50 (was really just 50% off). Anyhow they corrected me with it is 50% off and £50 cash back, that is the only offer that they are doing.

I told them I would only be interested in 60% off deal and they said they can't, so I told them I will continue with my cancelation.

I am going to stick with it and fight for more, if I don't get it well they can do one :)
    keep at it, it will come. How long is it now since the cancellation? You could also push a £100 cashback email or something...

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    keep at it, it will come. How long is it now since the cancellation? You could also push a £100 cashback email or something...
    Cancelation is on the 18th

Craftsman
    I have just finished a sky chat session.

My Sky just went up to £72 per month for Sky Original and Sky+HD, Sky Talk and Fibre unlimited. I told the rep I wanted to cancel as it was too expensive now. The rep offered me a reduction to £51.40 which I declined. So she has started the closure of the account (Sky on 23 January and BB on 9 February).

Wife will kill me if it goes through, so now the wait starts :-)

Had a chat session earlier and cencelled.

Got offered some pathetic deal equating to about 20% off which I told them to jog on.

Cancellation is on the 9th February I will either take it back out in wife's name as new customer or if they offer a decent deal sign back up

Craftsman
    Does anyone have one of the Android boxes, I've seen them on eBay for £20-30. On the face of it they seem too good to be true.

Are they like the dodgy cable boxes the bloke down the pub could get?

Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    Does anyone have one of the Android boxes, I've seen them on eBay for £20-30. On the face of it they seem too good to be true.

Are they like the dodgy cable boxes the bloke down the pub could get?
    Yes to the 1st part of your question and I don't know to the 2nd. I can't stand pubs

Master
    I revived an old thread as I had not seen this one...my question really is do I need to cancel the lot to get the best deal, or are they likely to offer a 50% on the tv package. I have only cancelled the TV, not phone and broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Reviving this thread... :)

Just called sky to cancel out TV package as I have been paying about £125 per month for full TV, unlimited fibre broadband and phone with international calls. Agreed to remove sports and the international option to take down to £103, and then was offered a measly £16 further discount per month to £87. This was on the condition that I sign up for a further 12 months and the discount was only valid for 10 months!

Surprised by how little they offered there and then, and certainly wouldn't sign up for 12 more months without new equipment.

Anyway, went ahead with cancellation, and now awaiting a call from the retention a team.

I did stay with them for phone and broadband, and now wondering if I need to cancel those too in order to be offered a decent deal.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Update...

I do think Sky are a bunch of robbing barstewards but,,,
    If your original bill is £87 per month, with 50% off and £50 cashback (being equivalent to £4.15 ish a month) that saves you roughly £47.65
    You are holding out for 60% to get the grand sum of a further £4.55 per month!
    If saving £47.65 isn't enough, is a further £4.55 any different?
    Why bother fighting for it when you could save a further £35 by just sticking to dumping Sky without all this drama.

Craftsman
    Torrent what you want to watch, unless it's live sport that is.

I despise the extortion we put up with to watch the box.

More channels = more junk.

Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    I do think Sky are a bunch of robbing barstewards but,,,
    If your original bill is £87 per month, with 50% off and £50 cashback (being equivalent to £4.15 ish a month) that saves you roughly £47.65
    You are holding out for 60% to get the grand sum of a further £4.55 per month!
    If saving £47.65 isn't enough, is a further £4.55 any different?
    Why bother fighting for it when you could save a further £35 by just sticking to dumping Sky without all this drama.
    I could take it or leave it to be honest. For me to stay now I want 60% off with a £50 cash back. I know a guy who's got the whole package for free for 6 months then has 6 months half price!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I could take it or leave it to be honest. For me to stay now I want 60% off with a £50 cash back. I know a guy who's got the whole package for free for 6 months then has 6 months half price!
    You made the 60% thing sound like news yet never mentioned that before.
    Even paying 40% of your original price for something you don't want sounds like great logic to me LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    You made the 60% thing sound like news yet never mentioned that before.
    Even paying 40% of your original price for something you don't want sounds like great logic to me LOL
    Not sure I grasp your first comment, and yeah I wanna see how far I can go with a discount. I would be more than happy to f@*& them off completely but imagine how many people will benefit by me pushing them? :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    Torrent what you want to watch, unless it's live sport that is.

I despise the extortion we put up with to watch the box.

More channels = more junk.
    So your suggestion is to steal what you don't want to pay for?

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    So your suggestion is to steal what you don't want to pay for?

Another way to save a chunk of cash easily is to pay a one off payment for the line rental rather than pay monthly.

I don't know what Sky charge, but Virgin Media charge £17.99 per month (£216 per year). Paying a one off lump sum (called line saver rental - and all the providers do it - savings may vary) only costs £164, saving £52.

Add that £52 to all the other savings you make via negotiation.

Master
    Called up this morning to cancel the phone and broadband on top of the tv cancellation yesterday and informed that if I cancel then I will have a dead line for two weeks before BT can take it over. Said I should initiate the transfer from BT which is then a problem if I am looking for sky to come back with a better offer as I will already be committed elsewhere...

They mentioned the 50% discount and £50 cash back was from the win back team

Master
    Isn't there enough crap on Freeview to keep you amused? We don't have sky or any of the paid view services but there still seems to be enough rubbish on the 'free' channels to keep us going. Okay so the 'blockbuster' movies tend to be the 'blockbusters' from a couple of years back but I can live with that!

Do people not think that sky read forums when they post to state that the email said 60% instead of 50%?

Having read this thread I 'cancelled' and then settled for 50%+ £50 credit. Just shows that loyalty means nothing.

Why would it - you are a faceless number on a balance sheet.

Craftsman
    So an update:

I have ordered fibre broadband through Plusnet, and SKY have sent me a letter acknowledging that Plusnet are going to take over on 28 January. My SKY TV cancellation is progressing and will cancel on 10 Feb.

Just had a phone call from them to talk about any outstanding amounts on my bill!

Anyway, she asked if I would be willing to stay with SKY if they could do a deal and I said yes if it was good enough - she offered me a total monthly payment of £62! I told her that they had offered me £51.40 the day I cancelled!!

She said that was the best they could do today.

The order progresses with Plusnet and I will drop back to SKY Freesat I guess.

Time to confess to the wife when she loses the comedy central!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post

The NowTV entertainment package includes Comedy Central, and you can often buy a box together with 6 month entertainment subscription for £15 - £20. A couple of those and you're okay for the next 12 months after which you could consider rejoining Sky on one of their new customer packages (half price, M&S vouchers, >£100 cashback etc.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BaBa View Post
    The NowTV entertainment package includes Comedy Central, and you can often buy a box together with 6 month entertainment subscription for £15 - £20. A couple of those and you're okay for the next 12 months after which you could consider rejoining Sky on one of their new customer packages (half price, M&S vouchers, >£100 cashback etc.)
    Useful suggestion. Is there any way of getting Sky sport independent of a Sky package? I am only interested in the F1 races, is it possible to buy day passes with NowTV?

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Isn't there enough crap on Freeview to keep you amused? We don't have sky or any of the paid view services but there still seems to be enough rubbish on the 'free' channels to keep us going. Okay so the 'blockbuster' movies tend to be the 'blockbusters' from a couple of years back but I can live with that!
    This exactly. I've never paid extra to watch yet more crap. BBC licence fee is more than enough. There aren't enough hours in the day for me to watch tv anyway which probably explains my thoughts.

Master
    We've been on the Plusnet FTTC service for about 6-8 months now. Also calls/line inclusive. Took three bookings for the installation before someone turned up to actually DO the installation! Apart from that they're okay. FTTC is miles better than the old DSL though, tbh, for most things (email/web) you really don't notice much of a difference in speed. What you do notice though (in our case) was how stable the connection is. Oh and if anyone does any dodgy downloading then I'd expect that to be a lot faster on FTTC. We've gone for the starter 38meg speed and that's ample for us.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post
    So an update:

I have ordered fibre broadband through Plusnet, and SKY have sent me a letter acknowledging that Plusnet are going to take over on 28 January. My SKY TV cancellation is progressing and will cancel on 10 Feb.

Just had a phone call from them to talk about any outstanding amounts on my bill!

Anyway, she asked if I would be willing to stay with SKY if they could do a deal and I said yes if it was good enough - she offered me a total monthly payment of £62! I told her that they had offered me £51.40 the day I cancelled!!

She said that was the best they could do today.

The order progresses with Plusnet and I will drop back to SKY Freesat I guess.

You should have told her to call back tomorrow .

Master
    Currently playing the game with them, managed to get the bill from around £77 down to £65, but trying to get cross what I was after seemed difficult.
    Now tv is looking like the way forward couple with phone and BB from another supplier but it's still early days so will see how it goes.

My Sky contract recently ended, after which the cost went up to c£90 pm (i'd previously been on a friends and family deal provided by one of our friendly members here). I had family pack, sports, movies, Sky Go etc.

I cancelled and agreed a deal with Virgin Media. Sky then contacted me a few times via letter and telephone.

Eventually managed to negotiate the same channel package plus an extra Sky +HD box for upstairs for £45 pm. I've read of other silly cheap deals at renewal, but I was pretty pleased with that. Extra box installed yesterday at no cost.

Ian

My sky bill has just gone up to over £100 a month after a discount period. Contract runs out next month
    Need to either change provider or get sky down
    After a ppv event it was £128 this month

Craftsman
    Cancelled Sky Sports the other evening (was paying £78 for HD / 2 boxes (one the cut-down non-recording type) / Sports.

For some reason I believed that Sports was still around £13 pm but actually it was £25pm - so a nice saving there.

Was immediately offered a £5pm discount but will wait and see what happens before the cut-off.

Might drop them altogether - provided that I can find a TV provider that doesn't show "Come dine with me" / "Four in a bed" / "Goggle-box" / "Real House wives of ?????" / "any of the other brain rot that my wife watches" - any suggestions on that score?

I was paying 35 last year for family and HD, broadband calls etc. Just gone up to 66. Chatted online for ages! As current box freezes a lot, wanted a discount and replacement box.

They offered me 52 a month, and nothing else! So rang them and went through it all again. They've still stuck to 52 a month, how can they expect me to pay that much more than I did last year for the same thing!

Goes off on the 3rd March, will ditch the broadband alsi I think.

Typical as walking dead, game of thrones back in shortly! Ba@!#£ds!!

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Yep, this is what we did, ditched Sky, we now have Freesat, a NOW TV box with entertainment package, a Netflix and a Amazon subscription for a fraction of the price and have more than enough crap to watch..

Does the now tv entertainment package include fox, sky one etc?

Yeah that will do I think unless they offer something spectacular! Thanks

It does seem a business model of most service providers nowadays, mobiles, insurance etc. That you have to ring up threaten to cancel etc to get any kind of deal, my parents etc just wouldn't do that so pay full price for everything.

I asked sky why don't they profile their customers? They nlknow I won't pay full price as never have so why not just save mine and their time and offer me a deal at renewal?

I seem to have to call someone and spend an hour on the phone nearly every weekend! Draining! :(

Master
    Sky must be looking for new business again. Had an email yesterday offering me £150 if I introduce a new member and £150 for them to join.

Let it go off
    They will send you a fifty per cent off letter within days
    Just sit tight
    Get an Amazon fire stick and have Kodi put on it
    You can watch pretty much anything for free

Master
    Definitely have to wait it out with Sky. You need to be prepared to go through with the cancellation. I am currently on 50% off the TV package, half price fibre optic broadband and free 'phone line rental. Works out at about £46 per month for everything but movies.

Master
    I viewed my now-defunct Sky package in a different way ................. when you are paying around £1000 per annum out of your hard-earned. already taxed cash to Murdoch's gang, what is the likelihood of your employer offering you a no-strings £1200 a year rise in salary with no strings? (OK, unless you are banker). I needed the £1200 more than I needed a collection of old US comedies and 1980s movies.

Once I got my head round that it was quite simple to ditch Sky and live on a diet of FreeSat. (And it still includes some old US comedies and 1980s movies)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Useful suggestion. Is there any way of getting Sky sport independent of a Sky package? I am only interested in the F1 races, is it possible to buy day passes with NowTV?
    Sorry for the very delayed response, but yes. Day passes are available for sports but are the least best value in comparison to the bundles that come with entertainment or movies passes.

Journeyman
    My monthly bill is £38 just phoned sky to cancel and they put it down to £7.80 a month

Cool

Also cancelled Sky after reading this thread, just accepted a 50% off my existing bill and £50 quid credit.

Thanks for the thread guys, as I never thought of doing this, but its saved me a lot of money now.

Master
    Cancelled my sky TV but kept the phone and broadband. Due to be switched off on Wednesday, and have had no offers through from them to stay. Just bought a new TV and will try out Netflix, Amazon prime and freeview and will see how that goes for a while

Craftsman
    I never got a 50% offer, best was circa 23%.

Telephone and broadband is now with Plusnet and Sky TV goes off on 20th of this month. Can't say I am that bothered tbh, now using Netflix and Freesat. When I actually looked at what channels we watch we only really lost Comedy Central.

My Sky has now ended, I have been offered now 33% off for 5 years. I told them to do one

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Let it go off
    They will send you a fifty per cent off letter within days
    Just sit tight
    Get an Amazon fire stick and have Kodi put on it
    You can watch pretty much anything for free
    I got one of those fire sticks with Kodi on it, could never work it out and when I did it always dropped off the internet 10 minutes into watching something.