closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancelled My Sky TV

Apprentice
    No need to pay for any extras, sports or movies! Everything is available online and/or using TV sticks! I have cancelled all of sky!

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks like the discovery channels are going to be turning off on the 1st Feb due to Sky not paying them enough.

Annoying as it's the only channels I tend to watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo View Post
    No need to pay for any extras, sports or movies! Everything is available online and/or using TV sticks! I have cancelled all of sky!

Do you apply that logic to other things? For example, would you put petrol in your car and then drive away without paying? After all, there's no need to pay, right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Do you apply that logic to other things? For example, would you put petrol in your car and then drive away without paying? After all, there's no need to pay, right?
    I currently have a 50% offer with Sky coming to an end in March but all i here from my friends is KODI KODI KODI and how it is all free.

Should i ditch my morals and join them ???

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I currently have a 50% offer with Sky coming to an end in March but all i here from my friends is KODI KODI KODI and how it is all free.

It's no Sky. If you enjoy a good quality picture stick with Sky.

The sport on Kodi is average at best. Sky will always give you an offer on your subscription and if you like sport it's worth it.

Master
    No with sky but with virgin. I had the basic bb, TV and phone. Paying £47 a month for the privelage.

We have freeview and freesat via the TV and Netflix.

Cancelled the phone and TV as we don't use the phone at all and the TV box is used for recording but most things are on catch up anyway.

No paying £29 a month for 50 mb bb.

Saving about £200 a year.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    couple of people i know have cancelled there sky because of discovery channels going. apparently as well reading up on sky forum that they are allowing people still in contract to cancel because of this issue as they haven't found replacement channels for them yet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Only you can decide if consuming subscription content without paying for it is acceptable to you.

Master
    Given that Sky is just about to lose these channels from the 1st Feb, I'll be cancelling and getting a Now TV box for Sky Atlantic and maybe switch to Virgin, as I already have broadband with them:

Discovery HD
    Discovery History
    Discovery Home & Healt
    Discovery Science
    Discovery Shed
    Discovery Turbo
    DMAX
    Eurosport1
    Eurosport2
    Investigation Discovery
    Quest
    TLC
    Animal Planet

I think I'll be going to BT if Sky lose Discovery. Apart from the Sport it's all I watch and I get a cheaper deal with my existing BT broadband than paying both. BT have already got deals showing with a countdown timer to Wednesday. I'm still hoping Sky sort it out as will be such a faff to change over.

Master
    I cancelled Sky a couple of months ago and I don't miss it at all in my opinion it was mostly garbage and I much prefer Netflix, I actually don't miss the ability to record programmes which I thought I would do.

Apprentice
    Ha! Not comparative. If I was watching through someone else's window when they're paying then I'd except your point. I have purchased an item that allows me to watch these but not through sky.

Ha! Not comparative. If I was watching through someone else's window when they're paying then I'd except your point. I have purchased an item that allows me to watch these but not through sky.

You are purchasing an item that facilitates the illegal streaming of Sky channels. Not much difference in my book.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    You are purchasing an item that facilitates the illegal streaming of Sky channels. Not much difference in my book.
    They're not sky channels, FOX sports for example.

Fox Sports is a US only channel. Once again it is illegal to stream it here in the UK.

Hello

An interesting article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and...s-or-tv-shows/

Not one prosecution or fine in the UK for anyone streaming. Recording content in cinemas and distribution, yes. This is from 2015 though.

I was taught many years ago that technically recording on a VCR and keeping the programme for more than 24hrs was a breach of copyright but how you would enforce that is beyond me. Presumably that's why Iplayer has expiration dates on its programmes. As well As well as space I suppose.

I think less people would do it or contemplate doing it if Sky, Virgin etc weren't charging such a ridiculous price. Not that I'm suggesting that's a good reason or justification just an observation.

Regards,

Ben

Master
    There are plenty of lower cost legitimate ways to watch the content you want to, and without a mega monthly cost.

I ditched Sky a couple of years ago, got a freeview HD box with 1TB drive, and a Roku box with a Pay as you go NowTV account for the one off sporting events I liked to watch.

As I use Amazon a lot, a Prime account seemed sensible and I get a good selection of films and other stuff included with that, as well as free delivery of course.

I've gone from £73 a month, to around £20 even if I buy the odd Sky entertainment or sport pass.

Craftsman

I disagree that they are not comparative, if you look at their business models (at a simplistic level, admittedly).

Petrol is produced by a company (e.g. BP) and sold to a distributor (Tesco petrol station). You purchase that product and consume it.

A TV show is produced by a company (e.g. HBO) and sold to a distributor (Sky). You purchase that product and consume it.

So, your justification is that you have purchased an item that allows you to consume Sky content, just not by paying Sky. By the same logic if you buy a hosepipe you can syphon petrol and not pay the petrol station for it?

Before people start making assumptions, I'm no fan of Sky and agree that some of their products are vastly overpriced. But then there are many things in life that are vastly overpriced, but stealing them because I don't want to pay for them is not the answer in my opinion.

Master
    I think I'm going to drop to the basic package at £22a if I do this does it tie me into another years contract?

Blog Entries
    Where can I watch the Discovery channels? If these leave Sky that's most of my viewing gone, don't really watch that much TV so I'm paying way over the odds for the content that I view. The Sky box is very good to use with the series link, catch up, and on demand box sets so I will miss it and Virgin isn't an option where I live.From what I can gather Nowtv is owned by Sky so they won't have Discovery channels by the end of the month, so what am I left with?

There is a service called TV Player Plus which offers a subscription service including the Discovery channels. So far I've not been able to find out if it's legitimate.

Blog Entries
    Cheers Phil, I'll have a look at it

Apprentice
    I disagree that they are not comparative, if you look at their business models (at a simplistic level, admittedly).

Petrol is produced by a company (e.g. BP) and sold to a distributor (Tesco petrol station). You purchase that product and consume it.

A TV show is produced by a company (e.g. HBO) and sold to a distributor (Sky). You purchase that product and consume it.

So, your justification is that you have purchased an item that allows you to consume Sky content, just not by paying Sky. By the same logic if you buy a hosepipe you can syphon petrol and not pay the petrol station for it?

Before people start making assumptions, I'm no fan of Sky and agree that some of their products are vastly overpriced. But then there are many things in life that are vastly overpriced, but stealing them because I don't want to pay for them is not the answer in my opinion.
    Its not comparative to Sky as it's not watching Sky. But as for licensing from different countries and what can or cant be streamed...

Master

Not a way I'd chose to live my life!

I wonder if you are like that with everything? Rhetorical question.

How much of the money that you paid for that item goes to the people who made the programme you were watching, do you think? If the answer is zero (which it is for illegal streaming services) then who do you think is paying for the programme you are enjoying to be made? Should the individual people making it work for nothing? Or are you just happy that the rest of us who do pay the subscriptions are paying for you to 'watch through the window' as well, whether we like it or not?

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are getting the bullit tomorrow. Unlimited. Broadband and talk going up by £4.09 per month, that's almost 20%. Also increasing the price of box sets (only 50ppm)and call rates by 10%. They are also loosing all the Discovery channels as ironically, they don't wish to pay more for them, greedy clowns.

Master
    The commenter on Eurosport has just announced on live TV at the end of the Federer/Nadal match that as it stands today you will no longer be able to watch this from February 1st.

Bit embarrassing for Sky, even worse in the adverts they are heavily advertising Discovery.

Wonder if Sky will back down/pay up?

Master
    Clearly there's a game of brinksmanship going on here, question is, who's going to blink first? Sky are very driven by getting and retaining subscribers, so my hunch is that Sky will capitulate but then bump up the costs to the subscriber, citing that it was them who wanted to keep those channels.
    There seemed to be a few people who've gotten out of their Sky contracts early by suggesting to Sky that they are in breach of contract by not providing the required notice period but latest updates seem to suggest they are now playing hard ball and telling people they need to wait until those channels do actually stop broadcasting on Sky. Does that imply Sky will broker a last minute agreement? Only a few days to fund out.
    Quite handy that Virgin called me up the other day..........

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Cheers Phil, I'll have a look at it

I'm going to sign up for the free month in a week's time. I need to watch Gold Rush, my guilty pleasure.

Master
    Tried a live chat but after 1/2hr I am 75th in the queue

Blog Entries
    If Discovery does go, so do I and Sky can FRO for Q cancellation charges as Q T&C clause 13 hoists them by their own petard!

Which bit of its stealing don't you understand?

Hello

It's not strictly stealing is it. You're not permanently depriving the owner of it. But i suppose you are dishonestly appropriating it. It could be compared to stealing electricity from a paying neighbour.

Just an observation not condoning it.

Craftsman
    If you happen to be using kodi for anything other than what it was intended for.

Its probably worth looking into adding a vpn into your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    If you happen to be using kodi for anything other than what it was intended for.

Its probably worth looking into adding a vpn into your setup.
    Why would you need to try and cover your tracks?

So two new members on here both discussing stealing

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Why would you need to try and cover your tracks?

So two new members on here both discussing stealing
    hasn't there been a new law so government can see what you do now on the internet every site you go to and that so if you use kodi they potentially could look at people who regularly visit these site and fine them for using illegal tv?

I wonder if people who steal cars join car forums to boast about it and ask for tuning tips?

Master
    This is the kind of slimy scum you're dealing with when you use Kodi!

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38769045

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    This is the kind of slimy scum you're dealing with when you use Kodi!

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38769045

Kodi takes about 5 minutes to install on a Firsestick, very simple meaning you don't have to pay people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Kodi takes about 5 minutes to install on a Firsestick, very simple meaning you don't have to pay people like that.
    Who are you happy to pay, out of interest? Not the content owners, apparently.

I pay for lots of content through Sky, AppleTV, PrimeVideo and regularly visit the cinema. My point was that I would never pay someone like the guy previously linked to do something that is very simple indeed. It would take longer to go to his shop than do it yourself.

Master
    I was paying £54/m for Variety (£32), Cinema (£12) & a legacy HD package which includes the F1 channel (£10). Cancelled on Sunday, and got the 50% off offer next day on the iPhone app (the offer didn't appear on my account on the computer). I phoned this morning and the rep told me that the 50% wasn't applicable to the legacy HD package and I was already getting Cinema at a discount so the revised monthly amount would be £35 (16+9+10). I wouldn't have agreed to this but to be fair, without prompting, he said I'd be better swapping to the Box Set package with Cinema as he could offer 50% on both. So down to £28/m which I'm happy to pay. The conditions on the 50% deal say you can't swap packages to take the deal up but you obviously can.

I won't get the F1 any more but it's become so boring that I'd stopped watching that anyway. Discovery and Eurosport will be missed but my main focus tends to be on Sky One & Atlantic plus the movies and kids channels. I looked at BT and Now TV as alternatives but neither offer movies in HD and I watch them mainly on a projector, so SD no good for me really. I also prefer the dish over streaming for now. More than £300 saved for the year so I'm happy enough.
    Last edited by benny.c; 31st January 2017 at 14:46.

Master
    I just got 40% off for the next 10 months (12 month contract)- saved me £130

Master
    Was there any mention of the Discovery situation?

Master
    They said they are still negotiating with whoever over the contract

Grand Master
    sky just rang me and i specifically said i mostly watch the discovery channels. the rep just said "oh dear"!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Eurosport is still working for me so I assume there was last minute breakthrough?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    They agreed a deal yesterday apparently. I'm not on Sky, but I was watching Eurosport on BT TV and there was a scrolling banner message saying thank you to all the discovery viewers and that the channels would remain available.

My reading of that is that viewers threatening to leave Sky in droves probably helped Sky dig a little deeper into their pockets to secure the content.

Hopefully they won't pass that on in the form of increased subscriptions, but it is Sky we're talking about...

I'm pleased it got sorted. I watch the Discovery channels a lot, and feared Sunday afternoons minus rolling Wheeler Dealers repeats would be a duller place.

If SKY get greedy and want some more £££ to compensate, there's always the annual phone call threatening to leave that magically knocks 25% off the TV package to fall back on!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Copyright theft is a criminal offence