Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancelled My Sky TV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    You’ll get letters in a day or two
    Will hang tight…. Thanks for the heads up

I’m having sky withdrawal symptoms!

Craftsman
    Cancelled sky went to virgin for £55 moves bt sport and fibre broadband saved loads

Journeyman
    Haven't had any TV subscription for years.

As a family we don't watch a great amount of TV, which makes subscription poor value but it is still nice to have choice.
    To watch free to view channels we have freesat via a multi switch to all 5 TVs (using second hand sky boxes from ebay).
    For movies we use AppleTV and sometimes a NowTV day/week pass for any sports and F1.

I finished with Sky a while back. I have an Android based TV which covers my Netflix and YouTube and I now pay equivalent of £9 per month, and I have over 3000 channels.
    This includes all the Sky Channels. All movie channels, including pay per view. All Sport Channels.....Sky Sports 1,2,3..etc, including pay per view fights, BT Sports 1,2,3...etc. F1, the lot!
    I also have over 200 American channels, including all their sports as well as UFC......the other couple of thousand I really don't utilise, as they cover other countries, and I'm not multi lingual.
    My mate who's never had Sky before because of the prices, now has this, my Dad was on Virgin, and cancelled the lot, now has this....my mate in Spain, who was having more and more difficulty with the free view boxes now has this, and couldn't be happier....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Will hang tight…. Thanks for the heads up

I’m having sky withdrawal symptoms!
    Still no contact... but, now I’m not missing it massively... it’s quite liberating!

Master
    Received their increase letter -£1.50 on the variety package but £5.50 on my multi room
    I’ll be calling tomorrow

Edit
    They would knock £12 a month off the tv - no deal on the multi room
    So I cancelled - did offer me Q but did not really grab me- not sure what I’ll do or if they will call back
    I presumed I could only use the Q in one extra room so that would leave the girls with no tv
    Think I must have been with them 25 years
    Last edited by lewie; 4th March 2018 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Juggles View Post
    I finished with Sky a while back. I have an Android based TV which covers my Netflix and YouTube and I now pay equivalent of £9 per month, and I have over 3000 channels.
    This includes all the Sky Channels. All movie channels, including pay per view. All Sport Channels.....Sky Sports 1,2,3..etc, including pay per view fights, BT Sports 1,2,3...etc. F1, the lot!
    I also have over 200 American channels, including all their sports as well as UFC......the other couple of thousand I really don't utilise, as they cover other countries, and I'm not multi lingual.
    My mate who's never had Sky before because of the prices, now has this, my Dad was on Virgin, and cancelled the lot, now has this....my mate in Spain, who was having more and more difficulty with the free view boxes now has this, and couldn't be happier....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    How do you have all this for so little? Is it legal? If so I’m keen to hear more.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Still no contact... but, now I’m not missing it massively... it’s quite liberating!
    Get yourself a Humax Freesat box, they're great. I've not missed Sky at all since leaving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Get yourself a Humax Freesat box, they're great. I've not missed Sky at all since leaving.
    My dad has one…. The UI is not as nice, but, it’s a competent system

Master
    I also cancelled sky last month (had 50% off) and switched to a Roku which has Netflix, now TV (purely for GoT), and Amazon prime.

No letters from sky begging me to go back but not missing it really. Do miss recording MOTD though..

Master
    My dad has one…. The UI is not as nice, but, it’s a competent system

I agree about the UI but you do get used to it. I think it's purely because we've had the Sky UI for so long it's hard to use anything else. I suppose it's similar as migrating from android to Apple or vica versa, awkward at first but soon becomes second nature. I've had a Humax box maybe 6 months now and find it easy to use, in fact I think 'on demand' and apps are better integrated than Sky. The remote was very odd to use after using a Sky one for years but it's comfortable to use now. I'm currently trying to convince my dad to ditch Sky.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I agree about the UI but you do get used to it. I think it's purely because we've had the Sky UI for so long it's hard to use anything else. I suppose it's similar as migrating from android to Apple or vica versa, awkward at first but soon becomes second nature. I've had a Humax box maybe 6 months now and find it easy to use, in fact I think 'on demand' and apps are better integrated than Sky. The remote was very odd to use after using a Sky one for years but it's comfortable to use now. I'm currently trying to convince my dad to ditch Sky.
    Might be worth a punt…. Maybe a quick trip to the WTB section

Sky have not sent me anything yet…. Clearly they are happy to see me go…. I’ve been with them for 15+ years!

Guys, get yourselves an IPTV box. Mine was £109 with a 1 year subscription, renewable next year for £99....I won’t bother, as they just brought out the 4K box after I got mine, so I’ll just order a new 4K box with the sub again next time.
    It’s a little unorthodox. It runs via internet connection, wired preferred, but has wifi. Ive also got an Amazon fire stick, but I don’t bother with all that Kodi lark now, as it takes to long to load and navigate.
    I got mine box through my AV contractor, and he is putting them in all his jobs. Check eBay, they’re easy to get on there, just read their descriptions for what they supply. They can be a little bit glitchy sometimes, not often, but for the money, you can’t beat it......as per my earlier post said......I got all the channels, sports, and films...any advice, drop me a message.

Guys, get yourselves an IPTV box. Mine was £109 with a 1 year subscription, renewable next year for £99....I won’t bother, as they just brought out the 4K box after I got mine, so I’ll just order a new 4K box with the sub again next time.
    It’s a little unorthodox. It runs via internet connection, wired preferred, but has wifi. Ive also got an Amazon fire stick, but I don’t bother with all that Kodi lark now, as it takes to long to load and navigate.
    I got mine box through my AV contractor, and he is putting them in all his jobs. Check eBay, they’re easy to get on there, just read their descriptions for what they supply. They can be a little bit glitchy sometimes, not often, but for the money, you can’t beat it......as per my earlier post said......I got all the channels, sports, and films...any advice, drop me a message.
    I choose to pay the content producers for their content rather than pirate it using an IPTV box. Do you know where the money you are paying goes?

The content owners get paid still via my TV license. They also get paid via all the advertising on nearly every channel....they also get nicely paid by all the people massively over paying their sky and virgin subscriptions. That’s what this thread is about isn’t it? People being conned over their subs, trying to get a better deal and not succeeding (not in all cases)....so here’s a better deal for you. You can’t please everyone.

The content owners get paid still via my TV license. They also get paid via all the advertising on nearly every channel....they also get nicely paid by all the people massively over paying their sky and virgin subscriptions. That’s what this thread is about isn’t it? People being conned over their subs, trying to get a better deal and not succeeding (not in all cases)....so here’s a better deal for you. You can’t please everyone.
    The TV licence pays for BBC content. It does not go to any other content makers. Were it not for the honest people in the World paying for legal content, pirates wouldn't have a business. I ask again, do you know who you are actually paying?

Would you steal a book from a bookshop? Would you pirate an eBook? What's the difference between physical good and electronic content? Why is it OK to steal TV content when I'm sure you wouldn't walk into a jewellers and steal a watch?
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 6th March 2018 at 15:51.

.....Agreed with the license, and as I said, the advertising also pays for it. As far as where my money went, it went to the individual running the site.....what he does with it....I don’t worry. He provided me a service, but I feel you’re about to enlighten me?

Thread resurrection

My current 50% off TV package deal is coming to an end and I received a letter from Sky last week saying they were 'honouring my loyalty' and giving me a further discount which equated to 25% - but an increase of over £20pm.

I contacted Sky on Monday and the best they would do is reduce my cost from £85 to £51 (I pay £45 for everything except movies and SkyQ mutiroom - when I say everything this is TV only not phone/BB), but I would have to sign up for an 18 month contract. My SkyQ contract runs until March 2019 so I'm in a poorer bargaining position than normal. I stated I didn't want to pay this and would get back later in the week.

Phoned today to see what could be done, and they've now said they don't know how the £51 was calculated and the best they can offer is £61 but again for 18 months As you can imagine this peed me off quite a lot. I then said what is the lowest price I can have for the basic package - £37 for the entertainment package only. Shocking price, shocking value. The 'offer' for 12 months is £65.25 for the same thing I pay £45 now

As I say, I'm stumped really due to my SkyQ contract.

Any thoughts/ideas on what I can do?

Master
    It’s no help but I got a call from Sky inviting me to upgrade to Sky Q, we’re still on HD and the contract/offer runs to August. I agreed as long as they kept everything the same. Turns out they will honour that, until August that is when the price jumps to the standard (!) 90 quid/month and I’d be locked in for 18 months. No budging whatsoever on that so I politely declined. I was surprised they didn’t even attempt a further offer. It looks like they’re playing hardball which is a shame but I cannot be worse off by waiting to see what’s available in August.

Master
    Can't help but no way i will be tied in to an 18 month contract anymore.

Always got 50% off my package for last 6 years plus but due to run out in September but what ever they offer i am off this year as fed up with boring F1 and overpaid footballers which is all i watch.

Goodbye Sky and thanks for the good times but time to go.

I must be honest I’d happily get rid. Netflix is my main viewing and even stuff I record I either don’t watch or is on terrestrial anyway.

Dropped a clanger last year taking skyQ the way I did. I think.

Snidely as well - they sent me a letter saying we’ve given you an offer and it’s valid for 12 months. You don’t have to do anything. What it doesn’t say is that if you do nothing you’ve agreed to a new 12 month contract... hmmmmm

Master
    I've been out of contract for about 12 months but I was too lazy to called them earlier, so I called Sky 3 weeks ago and told them I wanted to leave them. I was paying £56pm for what is now the entertainment pack with kids channels and F1 (part of the original HD pack), HD and multi room.

I got put through to retentions, they asked me why I was leaving and I told them I wasn't happy with the pricing and new customers were getting better offers than loyal customers like me.

The customer service rep said do I want kids and F1 channels I said no, then the new price for me will be £42pm (keeping HD & multi room) which isn't a discount but the actual price.

I told him is that the best offer you can give to loyal customer? He said how about Sky Q for a one off installation fee of £20, I said No thanks.

A week later I got a text stating - we are sorry you want to cancel but if you change you mind please call us or use the live chat to review your options.

Yesterday (4 days before the cut off date) I decide to use the live chat, went through the same thing before - do I want kids, F1 channel, HD, multi room? No, no, yes yes.

New price of £28pm, I asked is that your best offer for a loyal customer of 21 years? They said £26pm which I took on a 12 month contract.

It's not the best deal but certainly not the worse, maybe next year I will go for the Sky Q.

After about 4 years of these annual 50% deals, I got totally fed up and finally quit for good. We have now moved across to Virgin and have their VIP package which includes BT Sports so we can watch the Champions and Europa Leagues next season. We also got the internet, land line phone and the wife's mobile phone contract all tied up in the same deal, so just pay a single payment each month for everything and the cables run from the street so no atmospheric interference when the weather is stormy.

The Sky dish was taken away in last weeks wheelie bin collection.

The guy at Virgin was honest and upfront, he advised us to return to him in 12 months and he would review our package and ensure we continued to get the best deal. He said a lot of people simply don't bother and naturally they don't chase after those people.

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    I've been out of contract for about 12 months but I was too lazy to called them earlier, so I called Sky 3 weeks ago and told them I wanted to leave them. I was paying £56pm for what is now the entertainment pack with kids channels and F1 (part of the original HD pack), HD and multi room.

I got put through to retentions, they asked me why I was leaving and I told them I wasn't happy with the pricing and new customers were getting better offers than loyal customers like me.

The customer service rep said do I want kids and F1 channels I said no, then the new price for me will be £42pm (keeping HD & multi room) which isn't a discount but the actual price.

I told him is that the best offer you can give to loyal customer? He said how about Sky Q for a one off installation fee of £20, I said No thanks.

A week later I got a text stating - we are sorry you want to cancel but if you change you mind please call us or use the live chat to review your options.

Yesterday (4 days before the cut off date) I decide to use the live chat, went through the same thing before - do I want kids, F1 channel, HD, multi room? No, no, yes yes.

New price of £28pm, I asked is that your best offer for a loyal customer of 21 years? They said £26pm which I took on a 12 month contract.

It's not the best deal but certainly not the worse, maybe next year I will go for the Sky Q.
    How did you get live chat? I’ve always done it that way but can’t find it anymore, just links to email or text?

Am I alone in really disliking the user interface of sky Q? Sure, the voice recognition works well but I far preferred the old sky HD menus etc and so did every member of the family. Looks very slick but we seem to spend forever working through pages and menus which look nice but don’t add anything.
    There’s never anything on I really want to watch either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Am I alone in really disliking the user interface of sky Q? Sure, the voice recognition works well but I far preferred the old sky HD menus etc and so did every member of the family. Looks very slick but we seem to spend forever working through pages and menus which look nice but don’t add anything.
    There’s never anything on I really want to watch either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t mind it by my Mrs hates it. Does nothing but moan about the interface and that ‘stupid box upstairs’. Yet won’t commit to cancelling

So annoying.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    How did you get live chat? I’ve always done it that way but can’t find it anymore, just links to email or text?
    The link from the text I received goes to sky.com/reviewmyoptions - you could try to log into you sky account and click on the Contact Us link, where it should give you the option of Live Chat or call them on 03337 594 455​.

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    The link from the text I received goes to sky.com/reviewmyoptions - you could try to log into you sky account and click on the Contact Us link, where it should give you the option of Live Chat or call them on 03337 594 455​.
    Thanks - just takes me to the out of contract 'come back to sky' option. Only live chat I can find anywhere on the site when logged in is cancel but it never works.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Thanks - just takes me to the out of contract 'come back to sky' option. Only live chat I can find anywhere on the site when logged in is cancel but it never works.
    Try to login after 7pm, when I used the live chat it was around 8:30pm.

Has anyone done a recent cancelled sky and was then offered a 50% discount.
    I've had a letter from sky offering a 25% discount when my current offer ends and I wondered if they had changed their process
    Thanks
    Andy

Blog Entries
    Finally ran out of patience with Sky and very much ran out of patience paying them over £100 a month. Sky Q is pretty good but the performance of their Q mini boxes in the bedrooms was beyond woeful and I got sick of rebooting the damn things every day and after three engineers visits, decided I had enough of this nonsense. I have kept SkyQ for now, returned their mini boxes, dumped sports and movies and multi room, shifted my broadband and phone to Virgin and that move has gone well. Now I only pay Sky £18 per month for Q and I am happy with that. No more of this ‘pain in the arse haggling’ to get a decent price and no more trying to reset their crap mini boxes! Even with the cost of Virgin (their fibre broadband is brilliantly fast) I am paying about half what I was so I am content with that. I might dump Q and go fully to Virgin when my tv contract expires next year, that would fully sever all ties with Sky and their crap and I find that prospect entirely agreeable! Happy Days!

Master
    Yes my annual ‘renegotiation’ is about to come round and I genuinely don’t know if I can be bothered this time. Any updates on the current process appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I've had a letter from sky offering a 25% discount when my current offer ends and I wondered if they had changed their process
    Thanks
    Andy
    I just did ‘the dance’ for the third (perhaps fourth) time in the same number of years. The offers were no where near as good and I ended up calling in and speaking with a decent chap. Although I did get all the standard chat, he did take the time to listen to my annoyance of having to fight to get a decent price (akin to a new customer), rather than being valued for having been with them for over 16 years.

In the end, he called me back with 45% for 24-months and some alterations to my package (changed plans but the same products) which actually brought the price to within £2.00 a month of my 50% discount. When pushed, he said they were now offering better discounts if you bundled your services (had phone and internet with them, I don’t and won’t) but for me, the extra year of not having to do the dance made it worth it.

On a side note, sign up for VIP, if you can, because that does seem to get flagged up to them and you do get some reasonable offers via that (free films, premiers at theatres, deals).

Master
    Contract finishes on 17th September and it's goodbye Sky after nearly 20 years...even though i get 50 per cent off after doing the dance with them i am off.

Netflix and Now TV for me.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Thanks
    Andy
    Just let it go off
    They’ll write to you within a week

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Contract finishes on 17th September and it's goodbye Sky after nearly 20 years...even though i get 50 per cent off after doing the dance with them i am off.

Netflix and Now TV for me.
    Did live chat with them yesterday and let me cancel early without penalty.Nice chap and no hard sell to keep me but let's wait for the offers to roll in although i have no intention of going back.

Master
    I'm a long time sky VIP customer who uses BT for broadband and telephone.

BT are putting up prices again from 16th Sep so I just took a look at the options to see if consolidating with sky was the way to go.

I haven't got as far as getting a package quote from Sky but I did spot BT sport is one significant component. If you leave BT broadband then BT sports HD becomes an eye watering £34.99 per month as a stand alone purchase.

It highlights a big emerging issue whereby rights to things like football are spread across a number of suppliers who all charge the same ludicrous amount they would if they had the rights to all the games.

I watch a lot of golf too and gather that the final major (USPGA) is only live via streaming on the Eleven Sports platform

Master
    Can someone post a link to live chat as I cannot find it (used I last year) ??
    Thanks in advance.

just had the rigmarole on my home TV package

Price jumped from about £42 to £62 after last deal expired in July. Have everything save for movies. I have multi-room as well.

Rang them up and they were giving rubbish deals - less package for more money. So cancelled. The deal in the interactive was even more rubbish.

Today they called up with the inevitable what can we do to make you stay .... managed to get an OK deal, not amazing but suits me as both boxes I had were getting old and unreliable (one wasn't even HD):-

18 month contract
    Sky Q main box and 1 mini box
    All channels save for movies and kids
    Free boxes
    Free installation
    £10 connection charge refunded
    £15 credit to the account
    £54 per month

I get the impression they are hardening up and in advance of their mega sale to Comcast I think they are wanting to retain people but not with the old 50% discounts that you could get 2 to 3 years ago.

One final point, the accounts they send are always confusing and the guy actually said his system was showing £62 per month and he would get it corrected so (a) make sure you get an email and (b) I make a note of who I spoke to and the time and all the details. They are amazingly forgetful when it comes to correcting these prices and by the time you see the first bill or two at the wrong amount all of a sudden "you must have misunderstood the pricing sir". On my other account I had them denying they had agreed a £75 credit, but when I quoted time and date of the call and who it was with they claimed they listened to the call and then gave me the credit.

Master
    I have been paying £39 for Sky TV - everything except movies. It was due to go up to £79 when my current deal expires in September.

I called them to cancel. First offer was £52 if I ditched box sets and kids (neither of which we use). I confirmed I wanted to cancel and got put through to another guy (the third voice). He immediately offered it for £33 for a new 18 month contract (Sky Ent, Sky Sports, Sports HD, Sky HD). List price is 64, so ultimately I managed to keep most of my 50% discount.
    Last edited by downer; 27th July 2018 at 18:05. Reason: typo

Master
    Managed to keep what I had but lost kids channels but gain Eurosport and music and only go up by just £1, with an 18mnths contract.
    Ok with that and fairly painless compared to last years endless run around.

Master
    I think the deals are still there. I don’t know whether the date helped, end of month and all that, but I just managed to get the complete TV package for two rooms for £53pm. That’s everything including Sports HD and F1. Slightly cheaper than I was paying previously. Had to agree an 18 month contract but the discount remains for the whole 18 months. At the advice of the Sky rep I then went online and cashed in the VIP deal for Sky Q UHD 2tb and a second box for £20 installed. Monthly payments stay the same. Worth noting that the standard sales team had derisory offers, I had to threaten to cancel and then go through to cancellations team for this.

Craftsman
    The threat of cancellation definitely works, my monthly bill had broke the £90 barrier and following some toing and froing
    I got an offer of £55 per month. You just need to hold your nerve and don't agree to the first offer.

Craftsman
    I had Everything they do plus multi-room and paid about £45, then the offer stopped and it rose to £93.00 so I cancelled

So here goes, mine cancelled and during the 31 days I had an offer come in the post I didn`t do anything because it wasn`t good enough

2 days into not having sky I rang them and said I think you`ve been trying to get back in touch

So on Thursday on the table £53.00 for everything I had before, and if I had SkyQ with 2 boxes it would be £62.00 (it might have been more)

Friday I called £53.00 again and then the guy said todays offer for SkyQ and everything is £48.00 with the 2 boxes and multi-room, so I signed up. This is an 18 months contract with like all the others a £10 connection fee

In the meantime they reconnected 1 sky box with everything until September when the engineer comes and then`ll I have multi-room again

So all in all a happy bunny, and that was me ringing them only after 3 days of being disconnected

My main struggle is with the attitude rather than cost.

Tried to go back today and got offered a ‘free’ replacement Sky+ box assuming I paid more per month, not sure how that is free. Was also told that if I wanted a better deal on Sports to sign for entertainment now and wait for a better offer on sports, I don’t want to negotiate with them every 5 mins, and I doubt I would be seeing many offers once they had me back on DIrect Debit.

Overall I highlighted I could go back as a new customer with Sky Q for £2 a month more with no deals whatsoever......

I don’t worry about a couple of quid, but it seemed like they had a warehouse of old Sky+ boxes to shift

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I'm a long time sky VIP customer who uses BT for broadband and telephone.

BT are putting up prices again from 16th Sep so I just took a look at the options to see if consolidating with sky was the way to go.

I haven't got as far as getting a package quote from Sky but I did spot BT sport is one significant component. If you leave BT broadband then BT sports HD becomes an eye watering £34.99 per month as a stand alone purchase.

It highlights a big emerging issue whereby rights to things like football are spread across a number of suppliers who all charge the same ludicrous amount they would if they had the rights to all the games.

I watch a lot of golf too and gather that the final major (USPGA) is only live via streaming on the Eleven Sports platform
    Just to add that it seems BT are now taking the "Sky approach"

There is a new loyalty retention team that has been established and suddenly has access to far better deals than you either see online or through their automated renewals process, with 50% off most items being achievable.

By my calculations it was still far cheaper to keep BT and Sky separate for my use but it means you have to negotiate with two providers instead of one.

Blog Entries
    I’m only interested in the sports - so I watch on NowTV (using AppleTV).

NowTV SkySports season pass is on offer at £179 until 20th August.

That’s about half the price of the monthly subscriptions - so a good deal IMHO.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I’m only interested in the sports - so I watch on NowTV (using AppleTV).

NowTV SkySports season pass is on offer at £179 until 20th August.

That’s about half the price of the monthly subscriptions - so a good deal IMHO.

z
    you get an extra £10 cash back with topcashback too. gonna grab it now.

Master
    My offer period ended and my total bill rose to ~£20 per month more. I managed to get this back to the previous monthly price without any difficulty and they threw fibre in at no cost (which will be a huge improvement for my home internet). All in all pleased with the deal and all sorted within 15 minutes with no threats of cancellation etc. Maybe they’ve finally worked out this yearly ‘dance’ is a waste of everyone’s time...!

Master
    I have Fibre unlimited, box sets, sky Go, HD films & sports on 12 month contract that finishes this month for £70 at present, anyone getting close to this on the new 18 month contracts?