closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Insurance Shocker!

Master
    Blog Entries

Home Insurance Shocker!

It seems that home insurance has gone the same way as car insurance.

Direct line have given me a shocking quote this year.

Any tips welcome before I go searching.

Tell them you're ex-army.

Ours (NFU)went up 25%, we couldn't find it cheaper elsewhere

Master
    Blog Entries
    My home insurance with DL went down by £1.00 per year,I’ll take the small wins

Hello

Try the various compare websites to see if you can get a better quote. And then ring your insurer and tell them you’re off, see what they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Try the various compare websites to see if you can get a better quote. And then ring your insurer and tell them you’re off, see what they offer.
    If your watches are properly insured, you are very limited, and probably not on the comparison sites

Craftsman
    Mine with M&S is going up 30% at the end of the month. I couldn't find any comparable cover for less, it looks like the increases are pretty much widespread.

We are with Hiscox, so pretty sure I can save some money if I need to.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Also have a look at the cashback sites.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Tell them you're ex-army.
    I have met a few on facebook military sites this past year I havent seen since we where 16 years old thats 50 years ago.

There is one thing we all have in common, we did it however hard it was, however tired,cold or injured we where we did it and stuck it out.

I am not ashamed of my service,what is your rank OC Bear pit Walts.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I have met a few on facebook military sites this past year I havent seen since we where 16 years old thats 50 years ago.

There is one thing we all have in common, we did it however hard it was, however tired,cold or injured we where we did it and stuck it out.

I get that vibe doing the washing up every morning ;)

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

What was yours?

Take the highest excess to reduce premium and then take out separate excess insurance. Savings should offset the cost of the other.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    Mine with M&S is going up 30% at the end of the month. I couldn't find any comparable cover for less, it looks like the increases are pretty much widespread.
    Same here, but 40%! Couldn’t find cheaper either

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I get that vibe doing the washing up every morning ;)
    Like having kids, but not being paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Take the highest excess to reduce premium and then take out separate excess insurance. Savings should offset the cost of the other.
    Is this a thing? That could be a stroke of genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love to know how many on here are insuring their watches properly

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I've never insured my watches - I'd rather not lose them, but if I did life would still go on.

Even if you think you have insured them fully until you have to make a claim you have no idea. Insurers will look to small print and your alarm and locks etc etc and try and reduce the payout. Alternatively use Zurich Private Client or Chubb and you will have a hassle free claim. But the premiums are eye watering

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Even if you think you have insured them fully until you have to make a claim you have no idea. Insurers will look to small print and your alarm and locks etc etc and try and reduce the payout. Alternatively use Zurich Private Client or Chubb and you will have a hassle free claim. But the premiums are eye watering

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Or NFU bespoke,

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I've never insured my watches - I'd rather not lose them, but if I did life would still go on.
    Same. It’d be annoying but not lifestyle changing.

Or NFU bespoke,
    Tried to use NFU before and it was terrible.

Phone line said I needed to speak to a local branch and the branch said they needed all watches and serials to quote (fair enough). As some were older than 3 years and needed an above RPP valuation the guy sent my name, address, contact details along with all watches, serials, and the values I had given to a third party.

Needless to say I lost it and never used them.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tried to use NFU before and it was terrible.

Phone line said I needed to speak to a local branch and the branch said they needed all watches and serials to quote (fair enough). As some were older than 3 years and needed an above RPP valuation the guy sent my name, address, contact details along with all watches, serials, and the values I had given to a third party.

Needless to say I lost it and never used them.
    I went to them from Hiscox when they decided they didn't want to play in this market anymore, NFU sent a valuer round and agreed values on everything including watches and jewellery, and all risks, I'm not that far from you, I use the Tekely office.

I went to them from Hiscox when they decided they didn't want to play in this market anymore, NFU sent a valuer round and agreed values on everything including watches and jewellery, and all risks, I'm not that far from you, I use the Tekely office.
    I used Cheshunt but will give the Tekely office a call before the next renewal, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Is this a thing? That could be a stroke of genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes it is although home insurance excess providers are more limiting , i have seen a combined policy that covers home, car and travel. And private car insurance, got to be the way to go for youngsters.

Last week i took out a £33 policy that covers all uk and Europe car hire excesses for a year.

I have a europcar booked for 13 days for only £180, although to reduce europecars excess of £800 down to £300 would cost an extra £170!

So I refused and took out the excess policy to cover me for the original £800.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Yes it is although home insurance excess providers are more limiting , i have seen a combined policy that covers home, car and travel. And private car insurance, got to be the way to go for youngsters.

Last week i took out a £33 policy that covers all uk and Europe car hire excesses for a year.

I have a europcar booked for 13 days for only £180, although to reduce europecars excess of £800 down to £300 would cost an extra £170!

So I refused and took out the excess policy to cover me for the original £800.
    Most hire companies especially abroad would still want an excess deposit and if it got used wouldn't give it back untill the insurance payed out, be careful with that one

Most hire companies especially abroad would still want an excess deposit and if it got used wouldn't give it back untill the insurance payed out, be careful with that one
    I am aware. Deposit is still made as per normal. If damage / loss occurs hire company recovers that from my deposit, up to £800 in this rental agreement.

I then take that loss evidence from Europecar to my excess insurance provider to make a claim for that amount. In essence I’m using my own excess insurance provider (cheaper) rather than their own (expensive).

Other similar policies exist for travel insurance, private car insurance and home insurance.

Blog Entries
    As a foreigner: how much money are we talking about? Just curious.

Mine is $1000 Canadian per year. Never thought to try the old age discount

I keep mine simple. No quakes, flooding or hurricanes to worry about.

I don't believe in God and God doesn't believe in me, so no acts of God to worry about

Blog Entries
    I received two PM's from members telling me how much insurance is. And UK prices are high indeed. We pay about 40% of that!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I received two PM's from members telling me how much insurance is. And UK prices are high indeed. We pay about 40% of that!
    Mine may go up this year, but is currently cheap as chips for building and contents. Those two members having high insurance costs does not mean the U.K. does.

If you live in Moss Side you are going to pay a whole heap more for your contents insurance than Virginia Water.

Master
    My house renewal this year went up just over 100%. Phoned them up to see if there was a reason for it as I’ve had no claims on house insurance for nearly 30 year's and been with this company for the last 5. They just told me their premiums had gone up. Quick check on a comparison site and got slightly better cover for the same price I paid last year. As usual with insurance renewal they just try it on. Wonder how much money they make with their auto renewal strategy 🤔

Craftsman
    Got ours renewed with Halifax for pretty much what I paid last year. They’re about the only company I’ve ever encountered that offer the option of paying monthly with no additional cost.

Master
    Someone has to pay for all the flooding

Mine was up £200 from last year, called to see what they can do, and they knocked £150 off the price in a 2 min phone call. Just blatant profiteering and hoping people don't call.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just rang mine as it's gone up £100 and it was a blatant no to getting it down.

I've cancelled mine and will take the risk. Buildings is covered via the service charge but contents I've stopped as best of luck to anyone trying to rob this flat, being right next to the Concierge office (with full view) and covered by umpteen CCTVs outside.