closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancelled My Sky TV

Cancelled My Sky TV

So.....

I went online and chatted to a person, within seconds I got a call from a Scottish gentleman, very pleasant.

I am currently paying £87 per month for Sky TV and HD excluding Movies, and my phone line and broadband. I told him I wanted to cancel, he asked which service I would like to cancel which put me on the spot as I hadn't thought about my phone and internet. I just thought sod it! Cancel the lot please, He asked the normal questions about why I would like to cancel and I basically said affordability. He then asked me a closed question, "If I could reduce your payment would you be interested?" of which I replied yes! he. He went away and came back with £10 off, I said thank you but £2.50 a week discount is not going to change my mind.

So on the 18th January, I am going to be with out SKY TV, no phone line or internet lol.

Can anyone give me any good phone line and broadband options?

* I am hoping for a phone call to give me more of a discount, what should I be looking at, also I would like movies back on.

typical sky will call you back , offering either 35% off your bill and a samsung tablet to renew or 50% off everything without the tablet .

that's the deal I got offered a month or so back . Hang fire and stand firm the deal will come .

I'm on Plusnet for Internet and phone ( a BT company I believe ) and they have been very good ... Get NowTV for movies, never be as good as full on Sky movies but not bad..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by alanski View Post
    typical sky will call you back , offering either 35% off your bill and a samsung tablet to renew or 50% off everything without the tablet .

that's the deal I got offered a month or so back . Hang fire and stand firm the deal will come .
    What package are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I'm on Plusnet for Internet and phone ( a BT company I believe ) and they have been very good ... Get NowTV for movies, never be as good as full on Sky movies but not bad..
    That sounds interesting, could I ask how much are you paying a month?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    So.....

I went online and chatted to a person, within seconds I got a call from a Scottish gentleman, very pleasant.

I am currently paying £87 per month for Sky TV and HD excluding Movies, and my phone line and broadband. I told him I wanted to cancel, he asked which service I would like to cancel which put me on the spot as I hadn't thought about my phone and internet. I just thought sod it! Cancel the lot please, He asked the normal questions about why I would like to cancel and I basically said affordability. He then asked me a closed question, "If I could reduce your payment would you be interested?" of which I replied yes! he. He went away and came back with £10 off, I said thank you but £2.50 a week discount is not going to change my mind.

So on the 18th January, I am going to be with out SKY TV, no phone line or internet lol.

* I am hoping for a phone call to give me more of a discount, what should I be looking at, also I would like movies back on.
    I did this recently as mine went up from the deal I was on at £18 a month up to full price at £36 we have the family bundle and just don't use it that much apart from game of thrones and walking dead and other dramas that they show and we use the box sets, if you keep logging into your account you should be offered a 50% discount and I was BUT I didn't feel it was enough so I spoke to two people at Sky to try and get more off but they wouldn't budge, so then after one phone call I went onto their live chat and I kept pushing away and got them down to £14.40 a month from £36 but I said £13 was where I wanted to be and she said she couldn't do that but she would do it at £14.40 and put a £20 credit onto my account which she did and this equates to around a 64% discount which I was happy with and that's what I got, but you will have to push and persevere but the deals are out there.

In my opinion I think Sky prices are far too expensive and a lot of people will be paying for things they just don't use but apathy takes over and they do nothing about it, for me Netflix at £6 a month is superb value.
    Last edited by andy armitage; 18th December 2015 at 14:05.

Contact them yourself in a week or two say you've received an email offering 60% off and £50 cashback. It worked for me during my cancellation in September (which I wanted to go through with but the wife was moaning)

Oh and do it by live chat if you can get on

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Contact them yourself in a week or two say you've received an email offering 60% off and £50 cashback. It worked for me during my cancellation in September (which I wanted to go through with but the wife was moaning)

Will they just accept that? Even though I didn't get a email?

Will they just accept that? Even though I didn't get a email?
    They did with me, I didn't get one either.

I had been given an offer the week before (33% off for 5yrs) but turned it down. Then just chanced it!

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to cancel in Mar, will then phone a week or two later and try that!

They did with me, I didn't get one either.

I had been given an offer the week before (33% off for 5yrs) but turned it down. Then just chanced it!
    great effort well done on that, I will try that next week :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'm going to cancel in Mar, will then phone a week or two later and try that!
    great effort well done on that, I will try that next week :)
    No probs both - good luck with it

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I'm on Plusnet as well and pretty happy with their service.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info guys.

I am paying over £105 for HDTV, BB and phone from Sky, I know that they discount if you complain but have never got around to it.
    Is 50% discount realistic?

Master
    Mine also goes off on the 18th but I'm going to try without for a while, certainly after that date. I'm going to try a Humax freesat box, purely because I record stuff when I'm at work. It'll be my wife who misses it the most, I think I'd be happier with just 5 channels.

Give sky the boot for a while you might find it OK, if you end up with an offer, it'll be for another 12 months contract. You can always go back if you can't live without it.

Back to broadband etc - I'm with Plusnet too and have found them excellent.

That may change next week when I move into a 4mbps speed house!

Quote Originally Posted by alanski View Post

Definitely. Call them , speak to someone else and say I don't want to leave, but £87PM is too much. I have the full package, I pay £70 PM. I Don't have phone or Internet, but multi room in 3 rooms.

You can really haggle with sky if you talk to the right person.

Craftsman
    Leave it and they will contact you. Senwars deal seems good, I waited and got (and took) the 33% off for 5 years, I subsequently took out sky movies and got 33% off their already good deal

They will call back with further deals, it's a case of when to know you've reached your limit.
    Even once it's gone, if you haven't got a deal with another provider they'll be back in touch.
    In the meantime have a look for the Amazon firebox with 'cough cough' Kodi installed . Then you can happily make like a Nited fan and watch all your footy on TV :)

Master
    When I cancelled they didn't try to contact me at all but when I logged into my Sky account there was a 50% off offer there so don't assume they will contact you directly as in my case they didn't so you might have to be proactive with it.

Craftsman
    You can always get 50% discount as others have said - I cancel when my discount period is due to expire every year and without fail they eventually call and yield to 50% off quite quickly, at which point I accept. Likelihood is that they'd go further but that might require a few more minutes persuasion.

We've decided to give Now TV boxes a go for next year though, vouchers allowing 12 months of sky movies and 12 months of sky entertainment for the kids disney channels for a total of £100, and the PL and CL football is at no extra cost with our BT broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    They will call back with further deals, it's a case of when to know you've reached your limit.
    Even once it's gone, if you haven't got a deal with another provider they'll be back in touch.
    In the meantime have a look for the Amazon firebox with 'cough cough' Kodi installed . Then you can happily make like a Nited fan and watch all your footy on TV :)
    Out of curiosity, do you go on citymancs?

Out of curiosity, do you go on citymancs?
    I don't , no.
    I've registered on Bluemoon but rarely post as it drives my blood pressure through the roof.
    I've discovered you can't talk to City fans about watches and you can't talk football to watch nerds :)

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I don't , no.
    I've registered on Bluemoon but rarely post as it drives my blood pressure through the roof.
    I've discovered you can't talk to City fans about watches and you can't talk football to watch nerds :)
    Yeah Im on Bluemoon, Bluewatch and Citymancs

Blue moon you need a thick skin lol

Question for the people getting 50% off: do you actually cancel your account or do Sky try to recover the account when you simply threaten to close it?

If it is when you actually cancel, do Sky call you before the 31-day notice period with the deal or do they wait until the account goes dead before making the offer to get you back?

What package are you on?
    The full HD with everything

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    Question for the people getting 50% off: do you actually cancel your account or do Sky try to recover the account when you simply threaten to close it?

If it is when you actually cancel, do Sky call you before the 31-day notice period with the deal or do they wait until the account goes dead before making the offer to get you back?
    Waited it to go dead , then offers came in to come back

So.....

They'll be back

They'll be back
    I have the full package for £25 a month that's sports and movies too
    My landline etc is with EE

Just stick it out - even let them cut it off
    You'll have a letter in about two weeks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post

Call to cancel, you are usually then offered a small discount not to cancel but go ahead and do so.

You'll then almost certainly receive a call before 31 days have passed, and as others have said you can also log in to your account and there will likely be an offer waiting.

I haven't done the latter previously but having cancelled on Sunday, I logged in tonight and there is a 50% off any package offer there.

Craftsman
    I did this a couple of weeks ago and got 60% off tv package plus £9.99 line rental & free broadband - all in with multiroom for £26pm
    - you might want to start to change the line (i went for talk talk, who have a 20 day cancellation) and no issues at all - as soon as they had informed sky they had been instructed to change the line supplier, sky caved pretty quick - i did it online on chat

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have just read that BBC1 are ditching F1 coverage next year due to the budget cuts. I now need to think about what it is worth to me, as the Sky Sports F1 channels can't be bought on their own (I believe) and were around £30 a month last time I looked. Pretty poor value just for F1 on a per race basis! But looks like ITV are taking over with adverts...
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 18th December 2015 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I have just read that BBC1 are ditching F1 coverage next year due to the budget cuts. I now need to think about what it is worth to me, as the Sky Sports F1 channels can't be bought on their own (I believe) and were around £30 a month last time I looked. Pretty poor value just for F1 on a per race basis! But looks like ITV are taking over with adverts...

Thats the one thing I really enjoyed with Sky the F1. I have been waiting to cancel Sky this time of the year so I didn't miss out on the F1. I never thought anyone could touch the BBC with the coverage but Sky beats it all over in my opinion.

Master
    Humax freesat recorder bought. Must say I'm impressed with the picture quality, it seems much sharper and brighter than Sky. Here's to free TV again, I hope it lasts.

Next will be my broadband and line rental but not till April, Plusnet seem to be the front runners at the minute.

Master
    Wow I cannot believe what some of you are paying for your Sky packages!

I pay £53 a month for the full HD package (films & sports channels), sky Go,box sets, unlimited fibre & calls etc they even payed up my BT contract

Got my deal from MSE.

Journeyman
    I need to scrap my Virgin TV package.
    All we watch is Netflix!

Update....

Well had my first letter through the post, It basically says We're going to miss you here at Sky, and whats more, we don't want you to miss out. Thats why we are offering you 50% off your current Sky Bundle.

Shall I stick it out further?

Update....

Well had my first letter through the post, It basically says We're going to miss you here at Sky, and whats more, we don't want you to miss out. Thats why we are offering you 50% off your current Sky Bundle.

Shall I stick it out further?
    Yes. Either wait or try your luck on live chat and say you've had 60% and cash back offer or something

Yes. Either wait or try your luck on live chat and say you've had 60% and cash back offer or something
    Just tried to do a live chat, but it closes at 8pm. I will try tomorrow.

Master
    I currently pay £144 per month to Sky, think I better give them a stern call......

Cancelled My Sky TV

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I currently pay £144 per month to Sky, think I better give them a stern call......
    Ouch. What do you get for that? Pretty expensive is that.
    Last edited by Ukal; 8th January 2016 at 23:11.

Master
    Pretty much everything, all the packages, 4 hd boxes and broadband. Still feels like a lot though

Master
    You lot must really love your telly to even consider some of these prices!

It will be a cold day in hell before I would give Sky a penny of my money again. Used to be a subscriber about 10 years ago but woke up to the amount of money they were getting from me. Then I de-toxed and now live on a diet of FreeSat with a smattering of Amazon Prime.

That'll be the package everyone on benefit is on.

Not suggesting that the poster here is in that situation of course.

Pretty much everything, all the packages, 4 hd boxes and broadband. Still feels like a lot though
    Yet still find yourself thinking there's nothing ever decent to watch?

Master
    Really need to persuade my elderly parent to allow me to threaten to cancel but he's totally wedded to watching sports it's hard to persuade him he wouldn't miss a day. Hopefully.
    Its crazy that you have to go through the cancelling charade to get their best prices when he's paid full whack for ten plus years. Ho hum.

For that I'd want Murdoch round my house washing my smalls. Jesus!

I cancelled my sky subscription, about three months later I got a call from them, I was offered free everything for 12 months, then I could continue or cancel, of course I said yes.

I wonder if them knowing I use virgin for broadband and phone makes a difference

Master
    I 'cancel' my sky every year - it's the game you need to play sadly. They ALWAYS call you after a couple of weeks and lately they email too. As the notice is 1 month you never actually leave. This time I've got the HD, movies, sports, multi room, telephone and broadband. Also for £2.50 per month they came and fitted a second brand new sky box in my boys playroom which offers everything as well. Entire lot is £61 per month plus they have me £50 off!

It annoys me that you have to do this, but years back I was paying BT £40 a month for phone and broad band so to have it all in the one price is worth it.

Leave and they will make the offers.

Same here going to call tomorrow and cancel

If you can in your area, get Virgin optic broadband. It's as fast a f**k. Then pick up an Android TV box or an Amazon firestick and you should be good to go. I know I am.

Master
    if you live with someone take out sky again in their name for 12 months then cancel again and visa versa.

64 notes all in for me for 12 month introductory offer. Seems to be the going rate and what everyone I know pays. Look on quid co also if they have cash back offers going