closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Lemania 5100, what are my options? (pics please...)

Vintage Lemania 5100, what are my options? (pics please...)

For my next purchase i'm after a watch with a 5100 or modified version there of, mostly because i like the idea of a chrono with a centre minute hand. Ideally i'd like a speedy 125, MK 4, 4.5, III etc or one of the seamaster versions, but i have noticed a lot of brands used this movement so was wondering what else is out there which may cost me less....?

Really like the Tissot Navigator too and i've seen a few Heuer, Orfina, Tutima, Sinn, Lemania themselves and recently come across 'BWC' and 'Richard' which i know nothing about, so please educate me on what else i am missing on my ebay searches!

Pics would be nice too!

thanks

Master
    The Heuer 510.501 or 510.502 should be a serious contender on your list. Basically the same case as the Heuer Pasadena which was powered by a Valjoux 7750, the Lemania models had the fluted Chrono pushers, similar to the contemporary Autavia. A decent 510.xxx, complete with its original bracelet is a nice watch. Check our Stewart's "Heuerville" site for details.

good call, though i've always been a bit put off by vintage pvd coated watches as they often look quite worn. are these available without the pvd or is it possible to restore?

Had my eye on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2511429591...ht_4622wt_1271 though i fear it will end out of budget

Master
    I had one of these as my first serious watch in the early 90's. Loved it but sold it to fund the next thing.
    Managed to find another one recently and it's as good as I had thought.

Craftsman
    Quite a nice example of a Heuer 5100
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/heuer/lem...-id1870294.htm

ME I love Sinn and would and the EZM1 and 142 I had were both 5100 powered.

Blog Entries
    Have a look here: http://forum.atgvintagewatches.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5 There's no place on the internet where you can find more info about Lemania's 5100 movement and watches with the 5100 inside.

Menno

EZM1 is a great option, didn't like them when i first saw one but i think they are a 'slow burner'

The 'TV' 4.5 is a stunner, especially with the sunburst dial

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Have a look here: http://forum.atgvintagewatches.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5 There's no place on the internet where you can find more info about Lemania's 5100 movement and watches with the 5100 inside.

Menno
    i did have atg bookmarked but never really looked at their site, will investigate further- thanks for the suggestion

Well, two I used to own... the Fortis B-42 Limited edition....plus perhaps the nicest 5100 watch ever, the Speedy holy grail

Re: Vintage Lemania 5100, what are my options? (pics please...)

Fantastic movement, in some great watches.

Blog Entries
    Rasputin,

have a look at this thread I started a while back, there's some major drool material there:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...al+minute+hand

I've had a few 5100 powered chrono's but only the Speedmaster 1045 remains... I do miss my EZM1 but in the end I found the Ti just too lightweight...

Cheers,

Rob

An afternoon spent on the ATG Lemania forum will be time well spent, and you may notice that one of the most popular amongst the regulars is the very humble Lorenz Pro-Sub.

Master
    Morning,

You could consider looking for what's affectionately known as a Poorman's Silverstone. I picked up a Lemania one about 3 years ago and it looks like there are a few non-heuer brands who produced these, such as Lemania, Sinn & Gabriel. From what I've managed to find out, they're exactly the same watch as the Heuer, even down to assembly, only difference is the logo.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine

And here's a link to an interesting review and article http://www.calibre11.com/the-other-silverstone/

HAGWE
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    Rasputin,

have a look at this thread I started a while back, there's some major drool material there:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...al+minute+hand

I've had a few 5100 powered chrono's but only the Speedmaster 1045 remains... I do miss my EZM1 but in the end I found the Ti just too lightweight...

Cheers,

Rob
    great link thanks, lots of inspiration there!

Really like the dial on the Lemania above too

This is my favourite, great case on this Sinn which fits my wrist almost perfectly. You cannot beat orange on black + a bonus it has the Lemania 5100

The SINN 190 would get my vote, just change the ghastly bracelet and it's perfect!

Hi
    I am the moderator over at the ATG Lemania forum, so have a few opinions on L5100 watches.
    There are many makers that have used the movement. Many.

A few more obscure ones

Theorein, Nivada, Dugena, Bucherer, Mondia, DPW, NorthEagles, Kienzle, Lederer, PWI, Rodania, Alpina, Arten, Breil, Candino, Cyma, Exalt, Fiammante, Gosard, Jean Marcel, Rivado, Rochemont, Technos, Vetta, VIP

Quite a few, and some of these go totally unspotted. In the past I have bought two L5100s for less than £150 each. Both are horrid watches (a Burgundy-dialled Hamilton and a Bimetal Lorenz), but as I still have quite a few examples, it is a ready source of spares.

However, I agree with Andy that one of the best to look for is the Lorenz Sub Pro, which can be had for £600 or less if you are patient.

You could also, (for less), consider getting a qartz chronograph powered by the ETA 251.262. This also has central minutes.

Good luck, you can PM me if you have any queries.

Dave

Banned
    Can't beat a good 5100 powered watch. I've a few, and love them. The brute of a PVD Sinn above is one of my favs, but unfortunately I don't own one.

Here are a few I have got around to photographing..

PVD Heuer.. note, the domed glass is incorrect, & I had it changed when serviced. Well, to be more precise, it spontaneously shattered whilst in a drawer, so it HAD to go for service! Big watch c42mm

Next up.. a fav of mine, a Carrera PVD, but also available in stainless.. smaller c39mm

And my little Italian Air Force (AMI).. love wearing this one.. c40mm

I've a couple more that are away for service, I just love these L5100's. OP - Get some snaps up when you bag one!

wow thanks for the info Dave, few brands there i recognise from looking at vintage divers, but plenty of new ones to add to the search too!

It is my hope there are still some bargains out there, if i can find something with 70's styling and maybe a splash of orange for around the £500 mark i'd be well pleased

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin10 View Post
    wow thanks for the info Dave, few brands there i recognise from looking at vintage divers, but plenty of new ones to add to the search too!

It is my hope there are still some bargains out there, if i can find something with 70's styling and maybe a splash of orange for around the £500 mark i'd be well pleased
    I don't know the valuations of all non-Heuers, but I think £500 might be stretching it, at least for Heuers/Sinns etc.
    Edit - opps, Sorry, I didn't read Dave's post.. happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    I don't know the valuations of all non-Heuers, but I think £500 might be stretching it, at least for Heuers/Sinns etc.
    Edit - opps, Sorry, I didn't read Dave's post.. happy hunting.
    yeah hopefully some patience and obscure knowledge may get me a bargain! However a nice looking speedy 4.5 ended on ebay last night for around £750 IIRC, in the states though so would probably end up costing a lot more.

I think we all know a large proportion of the fun of this hobby is the 'thrill of the chase' anyway!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin10 View Post
    yeah hopefully some patience and obscure knowledge may get me a bargain! However a nice looking speedy 4.5 ended on ebay last night for around £750 IIRC, in the states though so would probably end up costing a lot more.

I think we all know a large proportion of the fun of this hobby is the 'thrill of the chase' anyway!!
    As Dave said, you do occasionally see some bargains go on ebay. I wouldn't be afraid of buying from the US, you might find that many sellers are happy to be kind with shipping paperwork.

Blog Entries
    You need an heuer Audi sport in your life ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by golfg60 View Post
    You need an heuer Audi sport in your life ;-)
    yup, and a Supreme backpack!!

Blog Entries
    lol yes it is ;-)

Here is a rare Lemania dialled AMI that went recently on the 'bay out of interest -

Don't forget the 510.523 to go with the 510.511 -

And a few others -

(The Tissots and the BWCs I think were Lemania 134x rather than 5100 - similar outward appearance but very different inside)

Happy hunting...just be careful you don't get that moment of clarity about how the chrono is displayed or you may not go back.... :)

A

sinn seems like a good bet to me :)

Re: Vintage Lemania 5100, what are my options? (pics please...)

That AMI is very cool

Blog Entries
    Here's one my wife's:

Here's one of the Sinn's I've sold to Belgium"

Menno

I have this Tutima...

...which I have since had cerakoted, for a pretty reasonable price. In answer to the earlier question about whether PVD wear through could be repaired, cerakoting may be an option.

I also have this on loan from a friend (I have to give it back at the end of the month, dammit)...

Same friend has the Omega TV screen model that Gurmot pictured earlier in this thread (I've attached the pic from earlier below) and was trying to sell it last I talked to him.

My selection, some of which have moved on.

Issued Arctos Fleiger.

Sorry to bump such an old thread... but does anyone know the details of this Fortis watch? I'd like to try to find one for sale somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kox View Post
    ... the Fortis B-42 Limited edition....